Sad notice of the loss of a regular poster SC38dls

edinmass

It’s with a heavy heart that I must inform our members that Studebaker Dave…….aka Dave Sanderson or SC38dls passed away last night unexpectedly. He had a great thread about fixing his 38 Stude accident damage at his home garage during the Covid lock down. I met him here on line and we quickly became friends keeping in touch regularly. I looked forward to his calls and posts, and enjoyed spending time with him at Amelia. A good and decent family man, and I will miss him. Rest in peace my friend, every time I see a Stude I will think of you. And also when someone hands me a Woodford Reserve. Goodbye…

PS- Dave was supposed to meet me on Thursday for lunch at the Gooding auction of Mark Smith’s cars. 

https://forums.aaca.org/profile/157296-sc38dls/?wr=eyJhcHAiOiJmb3J1bXMiLCJtb2R1bGUiOiJmb3J1bXMtY29tbWVudCIsImlkXzEiOjM5MjE2MywiaWRfMiI6MjQ4ODkxMH0=

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 18

Thanks for the notification, Ed.

I never met Dave, but I enjoyed his posts and I had eagerly looked forward to updates on his 38 Studebaker repair thread.

Rest in Peace, Dave.

• Like 1

Ed, thanks for letting everyone know. Always enjoyed his comments. Seemed like a great stand up guy. Couple weeks ago also, great Stearn Knight guy Mark Young gone, and now Dave S. 

"Whatever you want to do, do it now. There are only so many tomorrows."

Michael Landon

Edited by 34LaSalleClubSedan (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Between Mark and Dave, it ruined my entire week in Philadelphia. Good men gone way too soon. 

• Like 3

Ed, sorry for the loss of your friend. Although I never met Dave, I enjoyed his insights and humor. RIP

He was quite talented in repairing his Studebaker and generously posted the progress to educate many of us.  It also gave hope to others who have what seems to be insurmountable odds in finding the parts and developing the skills needed to bring something back that most people would consider to be a lost cause.

• Like 1

I didn't need to hear this. Great guy with a great sense of humor.

When he decided to drive the 38 Studebaker to Hershey last fall we had talked about meeting for lunch on his way up, then timing prevented that.

I never met Dave in person (I'm more the worse for that) but I know I've lost a friend. Sometimes online friends are as good as the ones you see every day. Never take anyone for granted.

• Like 5

Thanks Ed. Yes it was a shock to me as well.  I spent time with Dave at the Driven Class field at Hershey and on the forum we compaired our accidents with our cars. His Studebaker and my 37 Buick.

Rest in peace friend Dave.

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Sad notice of the loss of a regular poster SC38dls

Very sorry to hear of this loss.  And so sudden and totally unexpected, too.

My condolences to his family and close friends.  I'm now very thankful he rebuilt his car after the mishap instead of parting it out, as it now serves as a good memory of him and a legacy of his work.

Craig

• Like 1

This past Hershey, Dave drove his Studebaker to the meet and discussed his adventures in doing so.  What a loss. A great guy who always had wisdom and humor to add to discussions here.  He and I would PM each other about the challenges of physical limitations we both have and he always offered me encouragement to keep on living life to the best of my ability. RIP my friend.

• Like 2

I am in total shock, we became friends when he was fixing his Studebaker, had a lot in common and he loved his dogs to ride around with him in the Studebaker. I am at a loss for words, so very very sad. Great guy as many here have mentioned.

Have to add : do not hesitate to tell those that are good guys and gals that you appreciate their friendship, we only go around once and it is something like this that reminds us it is never to late nor to often to let people know how much they mean to you , how you value their friendship. We inherit our relatives but pick our friends , they understand us and the kinship and shared enthusiasm can never be accounted for in total. God Speed Dave .

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 16

This one hurts. A lot of them hurt. It just seems so wrong, so unexpected. 

I too never met him in person. Some people are so open that one gets to feel they know them very easily. I enjoyed every post of his I read, and got to recognize him on the forum right away. I enjoyed his adventures with his Studebaker before his accident as well as after. I too admired his tenacity in keeping and saving his Studebaker from a fate it did not deserve. His willingness to enter unfamiliar territories and repair the damage himself was truly inspiring!

His kind heart, his appreciation for good things around him, showed through in ways difficult to understand, but easy to enjoy.

His sudden passing makes the world a slightly darker place. He will be missed, by many.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Ed, thanks for the info. Holy Cow this is a punch in the gut!! I communicated with Dave a great deal. I was finally able to meet him at Hershey. We parked a couple of cars apart and spent the day getting to know one another better.  Dave was a true gentleman. I told him he was like an adopted uncle to me! A great loss in people that I know. I know he had troubles with his legs but as recently as Oct his otherwise health seemed to be remarkably good. Just goes to show one never knows. BTW Ed, he spoke highly of you.

• Like 4

It's sad to lose another good guy!  Dave always had good insight into problems and gave encouragement to all.

I don't even know his last name, can someone please post it.

Sad to learn of this. Met Dave with his '38 Studebaker on the field at Hershey last year. Was cheerful and a great guy to chat with. Enjoyed reading his postings here. He will be missed.

• Like 1

Geez, Sad. A super guy. Highly respected here.. one of the family who will really be missed. RIP good friend.

Terry

Ed, this is sad news indeed. I never met Dave, although I did follow his postings starting with the Studebaker repair after his traffic accident, during that time of Covid, it sure was great to come home from work and look to see what kind of progress he made.

I did enjoy following his trip to Hershey and was hoping to meet him there, it never happened.

Getting to Hershey was his first and only time. (correct me if I'm wrong) 

If you have something on your bucket list to do, DO IT. Ain't any of us getting out of here alive.

• Like 2

We spoke only via PM, less than a year my senior and live south of us, but never met in pearson.   Will miss his participation here.   He lived life like he wrote and enjoyed it all.    RIP Dave.

As one ages the circle of friends tightens.  At age 83 all of my original car friends are long gone.  I feel very fortunate to still be able to participate in 2-3 national car tours each year.  This is a grim reminder to not put anything of importance off until tomorrow.  We all enjoyed his posts and the grit he demonstrated in restoring his Studebaker after the accident.  On a positive note it is far better to go the way he did than languish in a nursing home.  RIP

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I also never met Dave in person but felt like I knew him (like I do many of you) from reading his posts which I always enjoyed. His passing will leave a hole in this forum. Condolences to his family during this time of grief.

• Like 2