Least favorite task of restoring

Buick35

No question for me, painting including all the prep, tape, prime sand clean, touch-up, prime sand clean, prime sand clean, then re-tape, paint, paint.....is the most difficult of all jobs. No room for error, everything is seen, and even minor stuff will bug you forever. I didn't even mention fully assemble, then disassemble then re-aassemble.. grrr. And if you want to hire a quality guy/shop to do it, then be ready to pay big $$$. I think it is the most discouraging part of a full restoration.

• Like 5

For me, it's putting away all the tools you need to do a job properly.

It's amazing how many tools you can have laying around just to do what you thought was going to be a simple job.

Wiping them all down and putting them away is always the most unpleasant part for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, zepher said:

For me, it's putting away all the tools you need to do a job properly.

OK, I'm going to change my answer.

For me, it's LOOKING FOR all the tools I didn't put away properly after the last job. 😨

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Body work.

I agree, because I can't do it very well. Laughing Coyote is actually pretty good at it, from what I've seen.

DAVES89 said: For me it's the writing of the check for that which I cannot do...

Which is the other real reason I don't like body work.

Waiting for parts!

close second is dealing with people that bemoan the death of hobby then want exorbitant prices for everything, yes it’s rare but so are the people needing to buy it

• Like 3

I'll endorse the answer for cleaning the ancient grease off old parts.  The grease, dirt, muck and whatever form the most insoluble tar on old parts.  Modern cleaners, including the purple stuff, won't touch it.  It needs kerosene or lacquer thinner to get through it - and a good wire scrub brush.  Then I have to get rid of the solvent and grease in a responsible way, and eventually clean up my hands and the rest of my grease-stained clothing.  I'd be happy to sand,  grind, fit, and paint the parts if only I didn't have to degrease them.  Maybe I need one of those parts degreaser machines with a heater in it - but I have no plans to EVER start another restoration of a greasy old car. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

OK, I'm going to change my answer.

For me, it's LOOKING FOR all the tools I didn't put away properly after the last job. 😨

What is the quickest way to find a misplaced tool?  Buy a replacement!😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure body work is the worst job. For me it is the most intimidating job.  I have little skills in the area. The body gets ignored for a long time around here, for a long time. While I noodle with mechanical repairs. Electrical is fun and interesting. Body work? Ok I need a mentor. I admit it.

• Like 1

For me it is Sandblasting big parts outside on a hot day while suited up like an astronaut, and then being pelted with sand and rust from about every direction. Hot, Dirty, Nasty job but necessary for a proper frame off restoration of most anything. That's my final answer. Dandy Dave!  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dictator27 said:

Woodwork, hands down.

I agree 100% with the above statement.

I have a wood structure in my 1931 Reo Royale Victoria that I have reproduced.

It is time consuming and takes forever.

I have done all the mechanical works and it was easy in comparison.

I envy you guys who can just pull a part off and reinstall a new old - one.

Bodywork and paint may be the least enjoyable job,but after it’s done it’s the most rewarding,I’ve had to paint cars over because I wasn’t satisfied the first time,but when I’m assembling after paint it’s enjoyable to watch everything coming together,the least enjoyable is wood working but enjoyable when it starts coming together

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jan arnett (2) said:

fuel system.  My wife hates that I smell like old gasoline.

I rather like the smell of old gas,it brings back the memory of when I first got my old car. I bought an old metal has can that smelled that way and thought of charging people 25 cents for a sniff at car shows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

My least favorite task is asking someone for help when I need it. That is probably why neither of my cars are finished.

I have a future son in law just up the street, but I hate to ask as well.

I do occasionally ask for help with heavy stuff.

He is getting better as the wedding gets closer. (daughters hand is out often these days).

I suppose he will disappear completely after that.

John, we need to get over this.

• Like 2

I don't have the patience to do quality body work.

Most of my friends come to me for wiring and mechanical.

Had a pretty good deal going for awhile with a body and paint guy until he retired to the Philippines.

17 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

close second is dealing with people that bemoan the death of hobby then want exorbitant prices for everything, yes it’s rare but so are the people needing to buy it

I often wonder how that effects the desire for some to even stay in the hobby in my age category? 

Dealing with these type of vermin is one of my biggest pet peeves in the hobby. We all know fair market value especially now with the internet, but some of the crotchety ole farts will take some of these parts to their graves. I just don't get how it helps anyone, especially when their family members usually sell for pennies after they pass away.

As for the OP question, 

I'd have to say:

Trying to find the bucket that held the lost or unknown parts I stumbled on while restoring...

For someone with OCD, the irony is brutal at times lol...

Without a doubt, bodywork! I'll tear apart any mechanical part there is, but when it comes to rot, rust repair, dent repair  and paint, into the shop it goes.

Removing rusty parts and finding more rust! Being in salt encrusted Ontario Canada it's a given. That's unless you buy a clean dry Arizona car. I'm working on a 1970 Chevelle that was built in Oshawa Ontario and sold new here in London Ontario. It spent the last  20 years in a dry barn, but that still leaves 30 years unaccounted for. 

mochvy 010.jpg

Edited by Ed Luddy
spelling (see edit history)

Having to pay someone to do something I cant, i.e. motor work. I am not overly mechanically inclined and have yet to build a motor. I am gonna try on my current project. I enjoy most aspects of restoration work. I enjoy doing body work and paint very much. I like having a finished car better though. I am a master carpenter of 40 + years, and also dabble in building high end period reproduction furniture. I would love to have the chance to do woodwork on an old car. Especially would like to build a 'woodie' from scratch.

• Like 1