If you could only have one “dream” car.......

Jeff Perkins / Mn

The Peerless V-16 prototype that was nearly done, but left at Murphy coachworks in 1931, when the board decided to go into the beer business. Probably made up into B-17 wings, but boy I hear those sixteens really hum! It may have been a closed rear quarter sedan.

Some accounts say a trio of V-16s and a lone V-12 were built -- driven to California with temporary bodies from their four Sakhnoffsky & Weymann straight-eight lines of cars -- to be bodied by Murphy. Here is what the engine looks like in one of the other V-16s {only known survivor of the 4 prototypes} , in the Crawford Auto Aviation Collection of Cleveland: 

.....Yep, the one that did 100 mph at Muroc Dry Lake in 1931..... 

Peerless Sixteen engine.....464 Cu. In., 173 HP.....design work on the car and engine started in 1926 in association with Alcoa.....

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Duesenberg SSJ, if price is no object.  (I'm assuming that in this fantasy world we don't have to pay for insurance or repairs, either!)

1382668550_ScreenShot2019-12-07at8_45_45PM.thumb.png.383d92972c89f36a51d3e46bd331308a.png

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Not even close for me.

1933 Silver Arrow.

There is nothing even close.

1933_PierceArrow_SilverArrow1.jpg

Now that I think about it, this would be a very close 2nd.

Maybe even a tie.

1927 Rickenbacker Super Sport.

5e6db2583ebbd739548dfac88305e682.jpg

Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I still want the same car I seen on the road in 1966 for the 1st time..... one of the 1st, small block, Ford GT-40s.  Totally impractical, way too expensive, but easy to maintain,engine-wise.  Yep, still in love with an untouchable.  Oh, by the way....never try to catch or keep up with one of these when you are 18 years old and in your 63 1/2 Falcon Sprint, ha !

gallery-1456599626-1966-ford-gt40-mk1-0158-bh.jpg

• Like 3

After thinking about this for a few hours.........I realized that there isn't any one car that is a "must have" of a favorite. I'm fortunate to have driven and serviced almost everything with wheels that interests me........I only have one car to drive thats on my bucket list.......a Doble. And as of last week, I believe I will have the oppertunity soon. 

I would be OK with any car from 1932............preferably with an engine that is at least 350CID.

• Like 3

Impossible question for me to answer - perhaps one car from each decade! But although there are many cars I totally admire styling wise, not having ever driven them or even ridden in them if i got that car without first doing that would I be totally happy? probably not. Perhaps I am being to practical;, but I don't just like looking at the cars ( and trucks) but take great pleasure in driving them . I most likely have driven pre WWII era cars over 70,000 miles total over the decades I have collected cars. I love the town car body style but just do not fit well behind the wheel due to long legs and lack of space.

To choose one car I would have to line up at least a dozen, then go inside out of view and ask my son, go and pick one out we are keeping as I love them all.

Walt

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)

There is a big difference between one if I were to win a small lottery vs. only one I could realistically afford. Assuming it were a small lottery and I could only have one car for everything it would have to be a '32 Packard 12 Deitch Phaeton.  Even if it didn't run I could look at it all day long.

packard-individual-custom-twelve-sport-phaeton-by-dietrich-1932-385830-1.jpg

• Like 3

My tastes have generally changed through life, but the description remains the same: a 15-20 year old car in really good condition and the ability to age with it. I have three. The first one has been with me for 41 years.

There is a long list of cars I sold while I owned this:

0033.jpg.a99b5467f3bd629cd9b8a81ea9a3ac6b.jpg

Oh, it was a dream until 1978. And there are specific reasons I prefer it over a '63 or '65, not a random coincidence.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

To choose one car I would have to line up at least a dozen

First thing I would do is rule out the restored ones. I have driven a lot of cars and it is an exception to find a "live with for life" restored car.

This would be mine, a 1954 Chevrolet Harley Earl-designed "Nomad".

image.png.31d6e5fd54e5e2033677840cd00b3225.png

Although the 'Vette Nomad is my first choice, the 1930 Bentley Blue Train shown in the photo posted by 39BuickEight is a fantastic looking car.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 5

Bernie

"live with for life a restored car" I could do that. In a sense did do that for over 40 years with my 1931 Franklin ( drove that over 45,000 miles and my friend who bought it gave it a good polish and is winning all kinds of awards with it , and driving it on tours too) . I like restored cars as well as original cars ( that are totally sorted and reliable mechanically) . Yes, the pride in having a original car or mostly original is definitely preferred, but the Packard touring car I replaced the Franklin with ( always wanted a touring car so now have one) had a full restoration 45+ years ago , then was never really used because it was "to nice" , that all changed when I bought it. It gets driven! It works either way for me. I have only really come to start to appreciate the 1960s-70s cars more within the past 2 years. When I was growing up an "old car" had running boards. The 1960s-70s cars then were every day users, because they were new or near new at the time. Now they are 50 years old or more - well so am I!😲

We all have our "need" for the moment in a neat car. The two cars I have now I will never ever part with for anything else, both have the same capacity engine ( straight 8 and 320 cu. in. ) 40 Buick Roadmaster, 30 Packard std 8. trouble is that most old cars  are all NEAT!!!

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

After thinking about this for a few hours.........I realized that there isn't any one car that is a "must have" of a favorite. I'm fortunate to have driven and serviced almost everything with wheels that interests me........I only have one car to drive thats on my bucket list.......a Doble. And as of last week, I believe I will have the oppertunity soon. 

I would be OK with any car from 1932............preferably with an engine that is at least 350CID.

I picked one out for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, jeff_a said:

The Peerless V-16 prototype nearly done, left at Murphy coachworks in 1931 when the board decided to go into the beer business. Probably made up into B-17 wings, but boy I hear those sixteens really hum! Some say it was a closed rear quarter sedan.

.....464 Cu. In., 173 HP.....design work on the car and engine started in 1926 in association with Alcoa.....

Your post kind of implies that the 1932 Peerless V16 prototype doesn't exist. It does and it's here in the Crawford Museum in Cleveland:

autowp.ru_prochie_peerless_v16_5-passenger_sedan_by_murphy_1.jpg

Or was there one I'm not familiar with? You know Peerless better than anyone--is/was there another V16?

2 hours ago, capngrog said:

This would be mine, a 1954 Chevrolet Harley Earl-designed "Nomad".

image.png.31d6e5fd54e5e2033677840cd00b3225.png

Although the 'Vette Nomad is my first choice, the 1930 Bentley Blue Train shown in the photo posted by 39BuickEight is a fantastic looking car.

Cheers,

Grog

If you want it, I know where it is and it is probably available for a price...

• Like 2