If you could only have one “dream” car.......

Jeff Perkins / Mn

Just checked the net, and "supercars.net " says she is a '32 CL.

I don't think so..............

Another image of a '32 CL had doors in the hood sides.

In any case, she makes the Dusy blush with envy....................

Mike in Colorado

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scott Bonesteel said:

I have always been more than happy with my 34 Mopars but with the 'call of the question' being dream car, price is no object and largely unobtainable, I have to go with a 1933 Studebaker St. Regis Brougham, which I believe there are none known to still exist.  Marvelous!!

33studebakerstregis.jpg

There is this one....

1933 Studebaker 2.jpg

On 12/9/2019 at 12:00 PM, Pfeil said:

AACA recognized ????? It's a hot rod!

FB_IMG_1575845142168.jpg

YES! The Doan Spencer '32 is a Hot Rod that the owner could apply to be a Certified Race Car in class 27A. There have been many Hot Rods that are AACA Certified on the field at Hershey. This a photo of the same car back in the day. Bob 

1d574fe127f3b2580a5a1ba1e249e771.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I was going by what I saw on the net. It was labeled a 1932, but it DOES look more like a 1931. I have certainly been wrong before.

Yeah,  the net lies.   The 31 CG and the 32/33 CL are pretty easy to tell apart by the Hoods on the later which have the Count de Sakhnoffsky treatment extending them to the windshield.

This car has a cut down windshield,  there were two that had it,  the other has been restored back to the Lebaron windshield.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

What year is that Packard? Compared to the Pierce Arrow behind it? Door handle designs are very different. What was the last year Packard used door handles like that?

I think the door handles are odd also, believe the car is a 1933-34 based on the fenders. Bob 

11 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

FB_IMG_1575845142168.jpg

YES! The Doan Spencer '32 is a Hot Rod that the owner could apply to be a Certified Race Car in class 27A. There have been many Hot Rods that are AACA Certified on the field at Hershey. This a photo of the same car back in the day. Bob 

1d574fe127f3b2580a5a1ba1e249e771.jpg

That's too bad. Factory hot rods are OK though.

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

????????????????????????????????????????????

Factory built race cars are OK like this one, when NASCAR really meant National Association for "STOCK" Car Racing; Not Toyota's running a V-8 somewhere based on the SBC 10 times removed that never came with the car.

book1_3a.jpg

OR,

Image result for 1963 Pontiac Tempest 421 SD image" They were built by the factory and ran in Super STOCK and FACTORY Experimental 

Under the hood 1963 Pontiac Tempest 421/405 HP Super Duty Lightweight SafariNot built in some guys home garage or race shop;

Image result for image of hot rod race cars being built in the 50's"

So that's what I mean!!!

1 hour ago, Pfeil said:

Factory built race cars are OK like this one, when NASCAR really meant National Association for "STOCK" Car Racing; Not Toyota's running a V-8 somewhere based on the SBC 10 times removed that never came with the car.

book1_3a.jpg

OR,

Image result for 1963 Pontiac Tempest 421 SD image" They were built by the factory and ran in Super STOCK and FACTORY Experimental 

Under the hood 1963 Pontiac Tempest 421/405 HP Super Duty Lightweight SafariNot built in some guys home garage or race shop;

Image result for image of hot rod race cars being built in the 50's"

So that's what I mean!!!

Your stock car will be on the Hershey show field with a Hot Rod on either side competing for the same AACA awards, welcome to class 24A. Hope you don't have a problem with INDY cars and GP cars, they will be in completion for the same awards.  Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

35 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Your stock car will be on the Hershey show field with a Hot Rod on either side competing for the same AACA awards, welcome to class 24A. Hope you don't have a problem with INDY cars and GP cars, they will be in completion for the same awards.  Bob 

How can a factory stock, super stock be in the same class as a hand built race car????? If it is, somethings got to be changed!

I've thought about this a lot. I like them all. Each has its own appeal to me. This might make some mad at me, but to me a model a, all ordinal is just as appealing as one that has been hotrodded. Both have their benefits. I like the 69 HO Cutless, the mid 66 novas, the 1930s cars and trucks and mussel cars. Many have a car or truck that just presented it self and a deal was made to own it. My father was a master mechanic. There wasn't anything he couldn't fix. I was in ahh many times that he could fix the impossible. I can remember going to auburn and seeing all the cars and trucks and he would explain how the worked and looked. He like them all as do I. As to your question, to me it is impossible to answer. I just like them all. Mike

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

What year is that Packard? Compared to the Pierce Arrow behind it? Door handle designs are very different. What was the last year Packard used door handles like that?

I think both are 1933 models.  The ring-style 'coach handles' were used on Packard touring car bodies at least through 1933 whereas the phaetons had the more modern bar style.   The 'coach handles' were an archaic style by then but an easy identifier for the touring car.

• Like 1

Back to the dream car - nostalgia wins out and I guess it would be a 1933 Pierce Arrow Model 836 like my dad bought in 1960. If I remember correctly Ed said the 836 was nowhere near the car the V-12's were. My dad drove it over to Bernie Weiss' house when we first got it and Bernie said the same thing - "Jim - you should have bought a 12 - it's  a lot more car." On the other hand I am sure the partial engine rebuild done in one stall of o 2 car unheated garage in January and February of a Rochester NY winter was a lot easier on the 8 than on a 12.

I remember Ed did a comparison of the 31 and 32 Pierce 8's - would love to know how the 33 compares.

From a practical standpoint a 31 Model "A" sport coupe like my first car would be more practical - I can fix almost anything blindfolded on that.

J PA-1.JPG

• Like 7

Among My long time dream cars is the 1958 Imperial convertible.

I actually bought one several years ago, only to have the seller reneg on the deal after receiving my check.

Image result for 1958 imperial convertible

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Here is some eye candy for you.;)

Amelia Island 171.jpg

Amelia Island 142.jpg

Thank you, Xander Wildeisen,

My wife, before I posted the above photos,

said she preferred the red one,

but I had "bought" the white one,

and had a model of a white one as a kid,

and also dated a girl from Patterson, NJ whose mother had a white one while her dad drove the sedan version.

18 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The ring-style 'coach handles' were used on Packard touring car bodies at least through 1933 whereas the phaetons had the more modern bar style.   The 'coach handles' were an archaic style by then but an easy identifier for the touring car

The oval handles on the open car with FDR in it indicate the car was a 7 passenger touring car. 58L-Y8 is correct , a phaeton had the regular styled door handles these were used on the other body types/styles  for the cars as well. Some town cars had oval handles ( by request of the buyer or the body builder) and yes they do acknowledge the earlier era of cars and body styles that reflect the horse drawn coach era.  the 5 passenger open 4 door body style that used side curtains and did not have roll up windows in the doors have been referred to as both touring cars and phaetons. The name phaeton came into more use in the late 1920s  especially for a five passenger car. For a while some car manufacturers used the word touring car for a 7 passenger car and phaeton for a 5 passenger car. This mainly took place until the mid 1930s when the open car that used side curtains ( usually with 4 doors)  was phased out as a body style that you would see on offer in a sales piece of promotional literature issued by the automobile manufacturer.

• Like 2