If you could only have one “dream” car.......

Jeff Perkins / Mn

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Have you considered collecting stamps, cheap hobby. Bob 

Sounds like you do since you know so much about it. But no, I collect Pontiac, VW, and Olds. I also collect electric trains and Surfboards, Piapo Boards and Kneeboards. 

Most dream cars will require some kind of trailer to transport, a special place to store it and so on which translates into $$$$. My real dream car is a driver, one that goes places without a trailer, can run with reasonable traffic flow and is not made from unobtainable parts and pieces.  Studebaker, Chevrolet, Ford, Mercury, AMC, GM, Chrysler all make the list in the reality collection.  You can call me cheap as I can’t see having a big truck and trailer just to transport something that’s designed to be driven on a highway which means those Duesnbergs and other ultra rare makes, while interesting to see just don’t work for a frugal bum like me.  I do admire great cars, just like fine art and other fine things in life but for ownership a mutt rather than a pedigree is just fine.

• Like 1

TerryB, great outlook, Seeker notes the ability to find interesting cars in all eras, and maybe equally important price ranges.  Nothing wrong with a perfect trailer only car and running the wheels off em is great as is working on them, or researching them.  Since we are dreaming, and I started with a Model J, maybe rather than just any I will go with this one that is obviously driven a bit!  

Note the grime!! Vroom!!!

20181013_130218.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, those who have funds to drive and have fun with their extra special cars are great, especially when they share them with the peasants like me at shows or other driver gatherings.  When I was a kid we had a 1953 Buick 2 door.  That would be a great car for me to enjoy again as would a 1955 Chevy 210, stick, and even a 6 under the hood.  1959 Nash would be fine too, or a 1956 Merc and the list goes on.  A driveable dream would be a 1962 Chevy Impala SS 327 4 speed, red with red interior with those knockoff style hubcaps.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Now you are talking about a truck and trailer/hauler  $$$$$$

Not necessarily. We have a 1991 Buick Park Avenue that we can drive anywhere.  It had 3,061 provable original miles on it when I bought it in Nov 2018.  Now it has a little over 5,000 original miles on it.  It won a First Junior in Feb 2019 at Ocala, FL (with new Cooper ww tires) and won a Senior at Mobile, AL this October.  We might go for a Grand National somewhere down the road, but we plan to drive it on AACA National Tours anywhere in the country that we want to go.  The car is 28  years old and meets the 25-year old requirement of AACA.  We've also driven it twice to local events/tours of the AACA Region in Lake City, FL which is 200 miles away.  We usually pull the '39 Buick to AACA Sentimental Tours with our closed trailer, but have the trailer sold as of this coming June/July.  We may drive the 1941 Buick Roadmaster to the AACA National Winter meet this coming Februry in Miami, which is over 150 miles away.  You're making excuses I think.  AACA has something for anybody or everybody.  TerryB, I realize you have some physical limits, but man I respect your interest.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

And boy do I have the kit to set you up.  Best of both worlds,  stamps with little cars on them.  Still sealed even so it's NOS.  Doesn't get any better. ;) 

IMG_9169.JPG

IMG_9170.JPG

I have one of them, it's a great start. I collect stamps. Not as much as some of my other hobbies, but I do enjoy it. Some stamps can be really expensive, but most aren't. It truly is a hobby anyone could partake in, no matter what their financial or physical limits. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Not necessarily. We have a 1991 Buick Park Avenue that we can drive anywhere.  It had 3,061 provable original miles on it when I bought it in Nov 2018.  Now it has a little over 5,000 original miles on it.  It won a First Junior in Feb 2019 at Ocala, FL (with new Cooper ww tires) and won a Senior at Mobile, AL this October.  We might go for a Grand National somewhere down the road, but we plan to drive it on AACA National Tours anywhere in the country that we want to go.  The car is 28  years old and meets the 25-year old requirement of AACA.  We've also driven it twice to local events/tours of the AACA Region in Lake City, FL which is 200 miles away.  We usually pull the '39 Buick to AACA Sentimental Tours with our closed trailer, but have the trailer sold as of this coming June/July.  We may drive the 1941 Buick Roadmaster to the AACA National Winter meet this coming Februry in Miami, which is over 150 miles away.  You're making excuses I think.  AACA has something for anybody or everybody.  TerryB, I realize you have some physical limits, but man I respect your interest.

I think for me it's too far to drive a nice car. It's not a excuse, it's the way it is for ME.

13 hours ago, Pfeil said:

I think for me it's too far to drive a nice car. It's not a excuse, it's the way it is for ME.

I made a lot of friends from all over the country doing these events.  But, of course, you have to do what you want to do, but I think you're missing a bet.  Good luck to you.

I think owning a car worth millions would - for me - be more of a nightmare than a dream, but I do think the Maserati A6GCS Berlinetta qualifies as the most desirable car.  Prettiest, too, but getting in and out of it would be another nightmare.

File:1954 Maserati A6GCS Berlinetta.jpg

The Facel Vega would probably be my actual dream car...even though it's still many multiples out of my price range. Sporty and fast, and easier to get in and out of.

Facel Vega HK 500

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess if I won the Lottery I might add a car, but in general I'm happy with what we have in cars.   

But, just one, is a hard choice.  The first question anybody asks is what is it?   Secondnd is what's it

worth?, And third is did you restore it?  I Like to say,  It's a 35 BuicK, it's expensive and I did with the 

help of a lot of good friends in this hobby..

Scan.thumb.jpg.6791f128adf0a231bc04d6f22940563e.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Late 1970's - early 1980's I liked Facel Vega's a lot. They have their quirks but prices were still reasonable. Then they shot up in price, well beyond anything I could justify { or afford }.The bang for the buck equation got completely distorted.

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Greg, markets are funny.  In mid 80s a pal took a 190 SL out of a local garage, if I recall coeeectly it was a one owner, probably in the condition of a 3 or 4 year old car.  He could not swap it for a mid 70s Corvette, which was the goal.  No takers.  190 SL vs. 77 Corvette today?  I think its about a 90k differential. 

That said, I could never see paying more for a 190 SL than any number of cars including all but the best mid year vettes.  And I am an SL guy but talk about overrated.. 

Anyway if I end up with Old #8 you can vidit assuming same deal if you do instead! 😉

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

That said, I could never see paying more for a 190 SL than any number of cars including all but the best mid year vettes.  And I am an SL guy but talk about overrated..

I try really hard not to down any particular kind of car,  but I feel like the 190SL deserves it based on the ridiculous money they change hands for.   It is basically a slightly upscale MGB with a Mercedes badge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/12/2019 at 12:06 PM, JamesR said:

I think owning a car worth millions would - for me - be more of a nightmare than a dream, but I do think the Maserati A6GCS Berlinetta qualifies as the most desirable car.  Prettiest, too, but getting in and out of it would be another nightmare.

File:1954 Maserati A6GCS Berlinetta.jpg

Amelia Island 310.jpg

• Like 1

I am pretty sure that most of you have had to suffer me mooning and moaning about my lost love of almost 60 years ago. You know the story. Offered to me for the then unattainable sum of $2500 when it was exquisitely original, and I was in high school. 1930 factory bodied Mercedes-Benz SS38/250. Look : I just don't have the emotional fortitude to go through the gut wrenching "Big one that got away" story again at the moment, sorry. If I haven't cried on the shoulder of any curious newbie yet unfamiliar with the sad story, for all I know you might be able to access it from the search box. Try entering SS38/250. That will spare my still unresolved grief from being exacerbated. It will also spare those who have had to suffer my lamentations previously.

Speaking of Maseratis after getting out of high school and getting a good job with massive amounts of overtime,  I bought one for the same money. My mother's boss, the kind and wonderful, Maserati collector Frank Capretto, sold me a virtually new (1.6 miles on the clock, on the dock in Seattle from Genoa - thoroughly sorted at the factory, even fitted 45mm Webers in place of the original 42s), 3500 Superleggera coupe. The car might have been worth 3 times the price I paid. Everyone loved Frank. 

Oh I was a selfish kid. I only let Dad and Bruce (who owns that incredible 450S I have shown pictures of), drive it. I wish I had let everyone drive it. Well, to come full circle back to the SS38/250, Bruce tells me even he would not have been able to come up with $2500 back then. It also might have commanded 3 times that on the open market. Everyone loved the Linus Pauling family. Oh well, I have a V12 Mercedes which my Maserati would have been if it could have been. And Bruce took B.O.S. at "The Beach" a couple or three years ago with his own SS38/250. 

Speaking of everyone and love : I love every one of you. It is quite true, that you all might well have saved my life, and what is left of my sanity by accepting me into your ranks. You have given me the emotional fortitude to carry on. And some of you have tougher burdens to bear than I do. Thank you.          MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!!!!!   -   Carl 

4CA66368-DB14-4A1E-B545-7692AC6CF306.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi Bob ! Bruce's 38/250 B.O.S. is the highly unusual "Roadster" (blue and polished aluminum), with highly unconventional "basket" mounted behind the cockpit. Speaking of such accessories, here is a much more ancient of Bruce's "Basket cases" which I know you will particularly love. I expect you know much more about it than I do. I have posted a picture of it about a year ago, I seem to remember that you know the car. For you Maserati lovers, the red nosed race car you barely see in the background is the aforementioned mighty 450S. I know some of you are new here, and as we are talking dream cars, I will go ahead and show a few pictures of it. I have an unusual amount of discretionary time right now. Sandy and I got a couple miles from home and the '95 Fleetwood Brougham up and died on us. Waiting for AAA. I will take a Mercedes-Benz and try to run our errand in it.   -    Carl 

7ABA9165-5560-4FEB-8E2F-96EF1379ADCE.jpeg

FA033E1D-F986-4D68-84D6-AEA7076884AF.jpeg

A383B0A6-5A2C-44BA-A7A2-850BC9383F82.jpeg

4F8CBE50-F509-46E9-A18A-921EC8E10F51.jpeg

I look at that shot showing the steering wheel of that Maserati, and I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, there is no way I could ever even hope to fit into the thing. I don't know how anyone can! I have a friend who's 6 foot 4 and owns a Corvette, and I still don't know how he gets into it. 

14 hours ago, alsancle said:

I try really hard not to down any particular kind of car,  but I feel like the 190SL deserves it based on the ridiculous money they change hands for.   It is basically a slightly upscale MGB with a Mercedes badge.

AJ, remember when the B came out it was considered a really good mid to low priced sportscar.  Great handling, well engineered and beat Triumph to a modern bodyshell.  They just kept it in production too long, and the 70s US requirements didn't help with changes to ride height and infamouse bumpers. .

Here is a TC I would love to have, things wouldn't have to break my way too far for this one. 🙂

20190921_101504.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the 190sl to me, has always looked anemic. a chicks car.

the 200 series on the other hand, I always liked. Very hard to look at a 190 when the 300 sl was out and had perfect proportions and power.

I feel the same with the single headlight vettes of 1955-57. just not my cup of tea.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I look at that shot showing the steering wheel of that Maserati, and I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, there is no way I could ever even hope to fit into the thing. I don't know how anyone can! I have a friend who's 6 foot 4 and owns a Corvette, and I still don't know how he gets into it. 

Billy, I was visiting my Aunt & Uncle in Colorado years ago and heard one of his neighbors was a Lamborghini importer....so walked down to his house to check it out. There was a '68 Miura in the driveway so I introduced myself. Yeah, 18-year-old kid who may or may not be related to a neighbor 1/2 a mile away. He was fixing the gas tank and after he was done I had a ride in it. 30 minutes at 30 mph. Pretty cool....but getting in required you to be a contortionist. The highest part of the roof was lower than my belt buckle.

• Like 2

Everyone loved the Linus Pauling family. Oh well, I have a V12 Mercedes which my Maserati would have been if it could have been. And Bruce took B.O.S. at "The Beach" a couple or three years ago with his own SS38/250. 

Carl, the stories are worth more then the cars, and you have some good ones! relish the past that you were so fortunate to have. I grew up in a po boy neighborhood and have some of my own, but none touches yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

10 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I still like this hybrid/you got your chocolate in my peanut butter thing.:lol: Dream car? Not sure I could pick just one car. The round door RR is a good looking car, to many stunning designs. A dream car would need a dream garage. My Hudson I can park outside.:lol:

RM Auction Jan.16, 09 118.JPG

RM Auction Jan.16, 09 119.JPG

This is an interesting Duesenberg - I first saw it at Bill Bools home in Montgomery (Cincinnati), OH.  He invited me over one evening and we both had colds from hell, but he said come over just the same and we had a great time.  I sold him a NOS Pilot Ray for the car and we tinkered with a bunch of small projects he was working on.  At the time the car was still pretty unrestored and was tu-tone green. The only thing that really needed serviced was the battery had come into contact with its cover/door and it had badly burnt the paint there. It is a Packard body grafted onto a Duesenberg chassis when the car was relatively new - the door sill plates still said Packard on them.  Bill said the car had a run in with a street car or ... and that is what necessitated the body being put on the chassis.  It had a luggage rack on it then too, as well as a luggage trunk, metal sidemount covers, windwings.   Bill had bought a rumble-seat tonneau windshield and we unboxed it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

The Duesenberg/Packard is a cool car. I like the story that goes with it. Fun reading what people like as a dream car. Choices are all over the map, shows that there is interest in every make of car. This one would be on the dream list somewhere. To many cool cars to pick just one.Image result for 1931 chrysler imperial roadster pebble beach

Somebody tell me this is a '31 Chrysler.

Or is it an Imperial ?

On this one the black walls work well.

Mike in Colorado

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Actually,  I think it is a 31 CG,  but I cringe at second guessing you.

I was going by what I saw on the net. It was labeled a 1932, but it DOES look more like a 1931. I have certainly been wrong before.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

1932 Imperial Custom 8.

Thanks Keiser. Should have known it was a '32 with the slanted radiator.

Knew it was an (8) due to the space between the hood louvers and the grille shell.

But she is missing the trumpet horns I thought were standard on the '32's

So similar to my '31 CG in many ways, but I'm still learning..............

Wonder who she belongs to ?

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)
  • Like 1