If you could only have one “dream” car.......

Jeff Perkins / Mn

Guess I am still stuck in the 50's, which for me is a great place. To narrow it down a little, a 1957 Fairlane 500 hardtop or a Plymouth Fury. Then there was that 67 baby blue Caddy I loved so much. Guess I am not too particular after all.

• Like 1

edinmass, there are about 50 replies from 10,000 members, so a lot of dreams still out there. There are so many great cars to choose from depending on one's primary "interest", you can go for style, speed and handling (my preference), or luxury touring, or snob appeal, or rarity, or big money, or nostalgia, or vintage, or flash, or technical innovation, or all of the above. Not yet mentioned are cars like the Mercedes 300 SL Gullwings, the Bugatti Atlantic/Royale, the 31 V-16 Cadillac convertible Coupe, the Delages, Talbot Lagos, Porsche 356,  Jaguar XKE, Mid Fifties T-Birds, Lambos, Veyrons, Isottos, Cord, Auburn Speedster (another of my favorites), and so many others. I think I could have a different dream car every night for a year and not repeat!  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, edinmass said:

If you like world class fabulous cars......a Individual Custom Dietrich Sport Phaeton is a decent choice........

I’m on the left......and it fits the 1932 requirement............

4F47BCEE-44F2-496F-B055-96285D8484E3.jpeg

What I take away from this picture is how generous the owners of the cars are at Pebble that they allow 3 random stooges to take a break on their running board.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dynaflash8 said:

1953 Buick Skylark

Bingo!  Me too.  It was the first car that came to mind.  When I saw one for the first time many years ago at Hershey it left a lasting impression.  I’m also a fan of 1950s cars so that just reinforces my choice.

10 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

edinmass, there are about 50 replies from 10,000 members, so a lot of dreams still out there. There are so many great cars to choose from depending on one's primary "interest", you can go for style, speed and handling (my preference), or luxury touring, or snob appeal, or rarity, or big money, or nostalgia, or vintage, or flash, or technical innovation, or all of the above. Not yet mentioned are cars like the Mercedes 300 SL Gullwings, the Bugatti Atlantic/Royale, the 31 V-16 Cadillac convertible Coupe, the Delages, Talbot Lagos, Porsche 356,  Jaguar XKE, Mid Fifties T-Birds, Lambos, Veyrons, Isottos, Cord, Auburn Speedster (another of my favorites), and so many others. I think I could have a different dream car every night for a year and not repeat!  

Thank you for bringing me back to my senses.   When I posted a picture of the SS MB I forget about this one.

image.png.2e65566ddddaa75fc4251e2d62852f9d.png

• Like 2

Here is one I wouldn't mind and it's available.  But there are cars at every level I could be happy with.  Look at the Dodge I just bought, that's worlds apart in quality, condition, styling, and engineering. (oh and Price)   I still caught myself sneaking a peak at it when I was headed out past it to work on the other garage.   They all have something to offer if you really appreciate cars in general and take them for what they are.  Makes it nice to be able to find enjoyment on the low end as well and not having to feel like you settled because you couldn't afford what you liked. It also makes cruising through the latest issue of Hemmings or some other trader more fun as every section (just about) has something to offer of interest. It would be real boring if I only wanted an Auburn (that's my low level dream car,  realizing a Duessy is most likely out of the question without some divine intervention so I have to settle for it's cousin) .  Maybe 4 or 5 for sale in each issue and most are at dealers or auctions. 

Though some of the other great cars you guys have listed could easily slide right in. 

62692071-770-0@2X.jpg

62692075-770-0@2X.jpg

11782333-1931-duesenberg-ssj-std.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You did not say anything about trucks. I already have my dream truck and it was a Christmas present from several years ago. It had everything I wanted in an Antique Truck. Solid rubber tires with wooden spoked wheels, a C cab. A brass radiator. An early lost oil system. Hand start and Magneto ignition so no battery to worry about. Gate shift transmission. A very simplistic and utilitarian design.  It's rusty as all get out but runs like a clock. It is a 1925 White Model 15- 3/4 ton. Like my friend Mike say's, It draws folks like flies to cow dung at a show. Dandy Dave!  

IMG_1698.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, caddyshack said:

I guess that I am stuck on early brass stuff. 3/4 of the 30's era beauties would not fit in the garage. My other choice would have been a 1912 Oldsmobile Autocrat and Limited. 706 cubic inches and 90 mph, the wow factor is there.

If the 30's cars won't fit how are you ever going to squeeze in an Olds Limited??? With it's 27 inch rims and eight foot long engine never mind the rest that comes behind all that HP. 😀 Dandy Dave!  

1 hour ago, Dandy Dave said:

If the 30's cars won't fit how are you ever going to squeeze in an Olds Limited??? With it's 27 inch rims and eight foot long engine never mind the rest that comes behind all that HP.

I think you'll find that early cars aren't as long 

as you think.  I have a large early car and it's not

as long as my 1975 full-sized Pontiac.  The engine

could not be 8 feet long!

The old cars, being primitive, are tall, however.

I believe an Olds Limited is 8-and-a-half feet tall,

so some garage doors (and most trailers) will not

accommodate its height unless you put the top down.

Packard 745 roadster...without question don't even have to think about it. I was only 14 but I can still remember like yesterday the exact position on the field I saw this exact car in when it was tattered Maroon and largely original with crudely painted cream wheels. The following year it was in a fire and I never saw it again but that will always be my favorite. I guess a gentleman named Allen Strong now owns it? Hopefully I can catch a glimpse of it at a show again someday that would really be something.

745.jpg

• Like 4

21 hours ago, alsancle said:

I think we need a thread for "obtainable dream car if things broke my way".   The car I posted is probably an eight figure car that will never leave the private collection it resides in.  

For me the unobtainable is a 1911 Reeves Octoauto.

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

I think the most interesting thing about this post is no one is after any of the crazy 20-80 million dollar stuff...............and many are happy with cars under 50k. Speaks volumes about the people we have here. 👍

Typically, a 1953 Buick Skylark....a realy good one, sells for about $125-150K which is well above my pay grade.  I've seen some for $75-85K but that's still above my pay grade.  There is also a 1940 Buick Roadmaster Brunn-Body one of a kind town car out there for $125K that I might could buy for 85K and it is still well above my pay grade.  I never have been into true window shopping.  A Duesenberg doesn't interest me, really, but if I lived to be 1,000 I could never afford one, so why wish.

3 hours ago, TerryB said:

Bingo!  Me too.  It was the first car that came to mind.  When I saw one for the first time many years ago at Hershey it left a lasting impression.  I’m also a fan of 1950s cars so that just reinforces my choice.

I could have bought any number of 1953 Buick Skylark's in the 1960s and 1970s locally to Baltimore, but I thought they were too new, so what can I say?  The best one was $500 and I didn't have $500.  I showed it to a guy who I thought was my best friend and he went behind my back and bought it and hid it from me.  I was a baby-blue, one-owner car sitting in a carport with the chrome turning green.  I had come new from Phipps Buick in Annapolis, MD.  That was probably in the early 1980's but it could have been sooner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

You did not say anything about trucks. I already have my dream truck and it was a Christmas present from several years ago. It had everything I wanted in an Antique Truck. Solid rubber tires with wooden spoked wheels, a C cab. A brass radiator. An early lost oil system. Hand start and Magneto ignition so no battery to worry about. Gate shift transmission. A very simplistic and utilitarian design.  It's rusty as all get out but runs like a clock. It is a 1925 White Model 15- 3/4 ton. Like my friend Mike say's, It draws folks like flies to cow dung at a show. Dandy Dave!  

IMG_1698.JPG

Is this the truck that was at Rhinebeck two or three years ago? If so, and you were the owner then, I thank you for taking a few moments out of your day to educate me about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Here' s one that likely sits in between a Model A and a Model J.  AACA recognized and I think concours guys would like it but mainly fun to drive and just stare at... 🙂

FB_IMG_1575845142168.jpg

AACA recognized ????? It's a hot rod!

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Thank you for bringing me back to my senses.   When I posted a picture of the SS MB I forget about this one.

image.png.2e65566ddddaa75fc4251e2d62852f9d.png

Somewhere I have a photo of me working on that thing.......and another Series 41. The Ford car had a wrist pin knock back in the day.

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

What I take away from this picture is how generous the owners of the cars are at Pebble that they allow 3 random stooges to take a break on their running board.

Just another used car on the grass............Jules White would be proud of my two side kicks!

It's been in my mind like no other from the time I first read about it in Automobile Quarterly years ago. The Alco Vanderbilt Cup racer. After Joel Finn sold it I saw it advertised in one of the English magazines for what seemed a reasonable sum.

Way more than what I could afford at the time but less than $100,000.00 if I am remembering correctly. But that was quite a few years ago, I am sure it would be a lot more today.

Greg in Canada

18ee829c5021d19fdec8555ba455e7f8.jpg

• Like 2

I like muscle cars a lot, but I also like slightly over the top original non-muscle. Brute power strikes my fancy as well. You can see each of these attributes in the 3 photos. Pure dollar/value wise it would have to be the 427 Cobra, outrageous muscle, the Superbird, but over the top original design American, I would have to take the Eldorado.

superbird.jpg

59 Eldorado.jpg

cobra.jpg

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Somewhere I have a photo of me working on that thing.......and another Series 41. The Ford car had a wrist pin knock back in the day.

If you can get me that picture,  I'll bet I can talk them down on price given the suspect maintenance history.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, alsancle said:

If you can get me that picture,  I'll bet I can talk them down on price given the suspect maintenance history.

You are mistaken.......it’s a fifty percent up charge............ that reminds me, I haven’t sent you a bill for all the help I have given you the last seven years. Please send cash. 

3 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

If the 30's cars won't fit how are you ever going to squeeze in an Olds Limited??? With it's 27 inch rims and eight foot long engine never mind the rest that comes behind all that HP. 😀 Dandy Dave!  

Still dreaming Dave, that is why it is on my dream list. I have a 40 ft long garage with a pontoon boat and all of my sons toys around it. It is time to down size anyway. Mid engine corvette is in my sights right now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Here is one I wouldn't mind and it's available.  But there are cars at every level I could be happy with.  Look at the Dodge I just bought, that's worlds apart in quality, condition, styling, and engineering. (oh and Price)   I still caught myself sneaking a peak at it when I was headed out past it to work on the other garage.   They all have something to offer if you really appreciate cars in general and take them for what they are.  Makes it nice to be able to find enjoyment on the low end as well and not having to feel like you settled because you couldn't afford what you liked. It also makes cruising through the latest issue of Hemmings or some other trader more fun as every section (just about) has something to offer of interest. It would be real boring if I only wanted an Auburn (that's my low level dream car,  realizing a Duessy is most likely out of the question without some divine intervention so I have to settle for it's cousin) .  Maybe 4 or 5 for sale in each issue and most are at dealers or auctions. 

Though some of the other great cars you guys have listed could easily slide right in.

If you don't mind the history,  it is 1/3 the price of a fully matching example.

It looked too cheap (though well out of my realm in the car world) for what it was/ is.  Is it a rebody of a sedan or just a non Supercharged car that was supercharged or both?  I just mentioned this one because it is an actual car for sale that rings the bells.   Figured sitting on the market this long,  there were provenance issues. 

6 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

It looked too cheap (though well out of my realm in the car world) for what it was/ is.  Is it a rebody of a sedan or just a non Supercharged car that was supercharged or both?  I just mentioned this one because it is an actual car for sale that rings the bells.   Figured sitting on the market this long,  there were provenance issues. 

I think the history is complicated.

3 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Typically, a 1953 Buick Skylark....a realy good one, sells for about $125-150K which is well above my pay grade.  I've seen some for $75-85K but that's still above my pay grade.  There is also a 1940 Buick Roadmaster Brunn-Body one of a kind town car out there for $125K that I might could buy for 85K and it is still well above my pay grade.  I never have been into true window shopping.  A Duesenberg doesn't interest me, really, but if I lived to be 1,000 I could never afford one, so why wish.

I too have always been a fan of the 53 and my dad had a 54 back in the 60s.   He always preferred the later and didn't understand my explanations of why the 53 is the one to have.

I think 80-90k will get you a decent driver in today's market.

34 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I too have always been a fan of the 53 and my dad had a 54 back in the 60s.   He always preferred the later and didn't understand my explanations of why the 53 is the one to have.

I think 80-90k will get you a decent driver in today's market.

The 1954 was on a Century chassis and I, personally, never liked the rear wheel well design at all.  But, to each his own.  The 1953 was on a Roadmaster chassis, and to me, as a Buick guy lifetime, that makes all the difference even though the engine and transmission were the same.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

The 1954 was on a Century chassis and I, personally, never liked the rear wheel well design at all.  But, to each his own.  The 1953 was on a Roadmaster chassis, and to me, as a Buick guy lifetime, that makes all the difference even though the engine and transmission were the same.

I always talked about the chop on 53. He like the wheel wells and trunk on the 54.

• Like 1