For Sale: 1933 Pontiac Eight (1 of a kind) - $30,000 - Princeton, IN - Definitely Not Mine!

For Sale: 1933 Pontiac Eight (1 of a kind) - $30,000 - Princeton, IN

1933 Pontiac (1 of a kind) - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

One of a kind and super rare 1933 Pontiac straight 8 sedan. Custom paint, 12v conversion
Head turner! Was told it was painted to be in a movie but it never made Production but I can not prove it.
Look these cars up they are rare! Cons: engine sounds great but it does smoke a little at first start(valve guides?) but I did run it through 3 parades recently and it did fine… Cash or trade and cash 30,000

Copy and paste in your email: 8e371e450c8c3aeda8cd34a0bb1d7257@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1933 Pontiac Eight sedan.

'33 Pontiac IN a.jpg

'33 Pontiac IN b.jpg

'33 Pontiac IN c.jpg

'33 Pontiac IN d.jpg

It certainly is a head turner! I hope the depressed market for Victorian furniture doesn't make it hard to sell. 

It does make me think of the harlequin VW paint option. Maybe the solution would be to paint the doors a different color.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1996-volkswagen-harlequin-golf/

1996 Volkswagen Golf Harlequin 5-Speed

• Like 1

30K for this? Usually I would say that the paint would be attractive to a limited audience,  but in this case coupled with the wild imagination used on the interior IMO the seller may have reduced that audience to zero. 

• Like 2

Seems the trend now is to overuse the words : rare, very rare, super rare, and also "Iconic". It used to be the word nostalgia or nostalgic.

I won't listen to or do anything with anyone who uses those words - kind of like being at Hershey and hearing the words "I'll give jaz" or "do bedda".

• Like 2

Good looking car. It looks like somewhat of a decent paint its a shame they ran short and had to use so many different colours. I like Pontiacs dont know about the early cars though. Def a 70's era correct colour on the motor, so they have that going for them!  I would have loved to see how they put the sofa in the back. I have to say thats a new on me.  As the forum guy that usually doesnt know any better and seems to like some odd ball paint choices all I can say about this is WOW!

All kidding aside, it "seems" as though they did a good job, other than the colors and couch!  Chrome looks great!  How much time/effort/money would it take to just repaint and reupholster?  All black with the red wheels and wide whites should look pretty sharp!  Hard to swallow the buy in price...  If it was $8k, I bet a lot more of us would be taking a closer look.  

• Like 1

Unless it was proven that the owner of John Deere had this custom painted at the factory then a big NO. I have seen some really nice Pontiac coupes asking 50k, I dont think this car is anywhere near the asking. Doing your own work you could easily be 10k in paint, probably close to that for the correct interior. I agree, this poor car although not ruined is 10k best IMO.

There was a mopar factory built in the 60's that had half of the car painted all of the different colours that were offered for that year. It may have been something like a ppg promo car or similar. Tim Welborn had a repro made of it. This reminds me of that car.

• Like 2

I just showed this to my 25 year old son. He said "That's not...that's not, is it? Its...." and he could not formulate anything else to say for a moment.  Then he said "You're not?...Not thinking of buying it, are you?" I assured him it will stay as far from us as I can possibly manage. Keep in mind, he is not someone who typically stammers. I fear I have permanently scarred him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/25/2022 at 9:43 PM, gossp said:

This car lives about three hours from me and I have seen it with my own eyes.  The pictures do not do the car any justice, it is way worse in person. 

Do you have any idea WHY it was painted that way? I would think someone had a special purpose for it, business colours, etc.

It does look like what has been done was done very well, which is the shame of it.

Not sure how they even got the couch in there??

I thought maybe one of the colours could be salvage but the only thing I would use would be the top and the belt trim. That leaves about 89.9% of the rest of the car that needs corrected.

6 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Do you have any idea WHY it was painted that way? I would think someone had a special purpose for it, business colours, etc.

It does look like what has been done was done very well, which is the shame of it.

Not sure how they even got the couch in there??

I thought maybe one of the colours could be salvage but the only thing I would use would be the top and the belt trim. That leaves about 89.9% of the rest of the car that needs corrected.

I didn’t get any specifics or speak to anyone about it, aside from perhaps some trash talk with others in the vicinity… but I sure do remember that I saw it. 

If it is true that "it was painted to be in a movie but it never made Production,"  (granted that is a big if!),  I would say it was for the movie "who framed Roger Rabbit."   They may have started out thinking to use more flamboyant cars, but decided that too many wild cars would detract/distract from the storyline?!?!?!???