jukejunkie1015

Members
  • Content Count

    53
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

45 Excellent

1 Follower

About jukejunkie1015

  • Rank
    Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Former heavyweight boxing champion Jack Dempsey (at left) posed with Allen Motor Co. president Harold A. Allen (center) and Mr. Dempsey's manager, Leonard Sacks, on September 10, 1931, at the Union Station, 1717 Pacific Avenue. A new Studebaker President eight brougham, courtesy of Allen Motors, is ready for Mr. Dempsey, per his request. The boxer customarily drove a Studebaker at home and asked to be transported in one while in Tacoma.
  2. ca. 1907. Dorcas Spalt rides through Wright Park in her 1906 Cadillac, driven by her son, Worthy Morris. Purported to be the first Cadillac in Tacoma. Man standing next to car was not identified except as a friend of Mr. Morris.
  3. Rickenbackers on display. On September 12, 1924, a fleet of five Rickenbacker automobiles are photographed lined up alongside an unidentified street. Their drivers are casually posed next to them. Each vehicle has a "Defender" sign on the front windshield. September 12th was declared "Defenders' Day, " a legal holiday, by Governor Louis F. Hart. The date had been set aside nationally for citizens' response to national defense.
  4. W.W. Pickerill behind the wheel of a 1906 6-cylinder Ford Model K Roadster. Photo taken on Broadway. Bldg at right - Union Club, 539 Broadway. Mr. Pickerill was the manager of the Washington Automobile Co., 710-12 Pacific Avenue, which was the first automobile dealership in Tacoma and one of four automobile agencies then doing business in the city.
  5. Large billboard with elaborate carved posts featuring the Durant Star car as viewed on March 29, 1924. Calling it "A Creation of Beauty," the "New Star Car" was advertised as meeting car buyers' "every requirement." The Star car was only manufactured for a few short years between 1922-28 and was an affordable rival to the Model T.
  6. Narrows Bridge Opening Ceremonies. 1923 Lincoln Touring Car containing Governor Clarence D. Martin (center seat, passenger side) leads official parade across the newly opened Tacoma Narrows Bridge on July 1, 1940. The 6.4 million dollar bridge would collapse in high winds a mere four months later. The Lincoln automobile pictured has been in the Titus Will family since it was built and has carried many dignitaries, including Queen Elizabeth and Franklin Roosevelt.
  7. Lt. Commander (later Rear Admiral) Richard E. Byrd is pictured with one hand resting on the hood of a gleaming Franklin automobile in February of 1927.
  8. I thought these guys had a quality product. https://www.quietride.com/firewall.html Their ad says: AuthenticityAll of our patterns are based on out-of-the-car originals that someone has sent to us for duplication. Not a single car owner has ever reported losing points in a concours judging competition as a result of installing one of our firewall insulators. We go to exacting lengths to ensure that each of our products will look and fit just like the original. Catalog: https://www.quietride.com/firewall.html Look for Early Mopar 1928-48 Kurt M
  9. It was just posted yesterday on Craigslist in Essex Vermont. https://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/d/essex-junction-1931-auburn-8-98a/7154539952.html
  10. On June 19, 1919 racing mechanics Fred Comer (left) and Harry Hartz posed in front of the Tacoma Motor Car Company building at 945 Market with two of the cars entered in the annual July 4th races held at the Tacoma Speedway. At this time in racing, the mechanics both worked on the cars and rode with the drivers during the race. Mechanics were frequently killed along with their drivers in crashes. The car to the left is a Chevrolet Special, in actuality a modified Stutz, built and owned by millionaire sportsman Cliff Durant. The second car is a Durant Special, designed and built by Cliff Durant but owned by veteran racer Eddie Hearne. Cliff Durant was the son of William Durant, who founded General Motors,
  11. On April 22nd-23rd 1927, the Daimler-Knight limousine, once owned by England's King George V was on display at Manley Motor Co., 956-58 Fawcett Ave. The vehicle had been built especially for King George V in England in 1910. He used it until 1924. After its 14 years of service, it was being driven across the US in a cross country tour. It could reach speeds of up to 52mph, got 6 1/2 miles per gallon of gas and carried 35 gallons. Alongside the Daimler is a Willys Knight 70 sedan.
  12. Tacoma Elks motion picture crew beside an automobile at Stadium Bowl. The Elks had signed the Peptimist Motion Picture Corporation of Hollywood to create a motion picture comedy drama woven around the industrial life and scenic attractions of Tacoma. The completed picture would be shown a gala frolic June 27, 1931 at the Elks Convention. A casting call went out for 500 men, women and children to be in the picture with the two main female starring roles receiving a salary. Cameraman L. A. Tatom, dressed in bright white knickers and sweater with plaid socks, operates a motion picture camera capturing the scene of motorcycle patrolmen and two women in suits and pumps posed on a 1931 model Buick eight automobile labeled the "official motion picture car" and supplied courtesy of Mueller-Harkins Buick. Posed on the vehicle are director L. Jack Sherry, officers Bill Cordell, Bob Marshall, George Johnson and Edwin Janassen, and actresses Helen White and Bebe Lee. Miss White was an established Hollywood star while Miss Lee was a Tacoma native starting out in the talkies.
  13. Dr. Ivan P. Balabanoff stands next to the ambulance he donated to the Tacoma Dept. of Health & Sanitation in early 1919. The vehicle is parked outside the Elks Temple, 565 Broadway. Dr. Balabanoff made the presentation to the City in honor of his late wife, Dr. Margaret L. Carsley Balabanoff. A plaque is displayed on the vehicle next to the door with his wife's name and the year 1918. The presentation of the ambulance was made under the condition that the City must keep the vehicle in first-class condition and if the City ceased to use it, a donation of $1000 must be made to the Children's Home or other Tacoma charitable institution. Originally from Bulgaria, Dr. Ivan P. Balabanoff practiced in the Tacoma area for over 30 years. Mrs. Balabanoff was also a well-known and long-practicing physician. The completely equipped Ford ambulance was attached to the City Contagious Hospital. The ambulance body was designed by a local firm - the Acme Body Works