What kind of car guy do you self identify as and why

alsancle

Most of us self identify as a particular kind of car guy/gal.    There are Ford guys, Chevy guys,  Mopar guys.      When I think of Rany Ema,  Tim Purrier  and Chris Summers I think "Duesenberg guy".  Ed Minnie is a "Pierce guy".  Don Sears is a "Packard Guy".

There are usually reasons we become a particular kind of guy.   Might be our first car,  or it might be what our dad collected.   

My dad had lots of different stuff but I always thought of him as either an "Auburn Guy"  or  a "Packard Guy".    Only because those were the cars that ended up sticking the longest.

When I was in HS/College I was a GTO guy.  A little later I was a "HEMI" guy.  That is when it was hard to be humble.    These days I would like to self identify as  "540k" guy,  but not sure it fits.   Maybe a Reo Royale guy.

I guess I'm a prewar Classic guy now.   I kiss my dad's fanny that he wasn't in to some obscure marque powered by a lawn mower engine that I would be in to now.  I can think of a few but don't want to be offensive (any more than usual).

What kind of car guy are you and why?

• Like 2

Interesting subject.............I would add a few other descriptive areas........

Walt G is a coach work guy.

George Holman is a race car guy.

Other people I would tend to use the label “a trophy guy” or a “touring or driving guy”.

Others would be a “brass car guy” or a “used car guy”. The list is probably endless. 

AJ- I don’t think of you as a 540K guy........more like a “one-off guy”.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

I got into Reo's because the whole time I was growing up in he 1950's . I heard my aunts and uncle commenting on my Grandfather's 1930 Reo Sedan

They could barely get gasoline or tires during WW 2 or the fun times riding on the running boards soaking wet after getting out of a Lake.

The most famous part was that the car was mentioned in Crossword puzzles a 3 letters for a car. R E O

I bought a1926 Reo T6 Sedan in 1976 and when I compared it other Marque's I could see the Reo quality.

I recently bought a 1931 Reo Royale Victoria in many pieces and I think I have learned my lesson about old cars.

They are a lot of work to restore.

• Like 1

If anything (my hobby is a continuously evolving process) am a "competition guy". Doesn't particularly matter what kind - economy run, rally, autocross, road racing, or with what - once won an economy run with a '38 Mack dump truck. Also have seen many rule changes afterwards (SCCA didn't like my 8" hood pins on a Corvette - on long straights the back of the hood would raise up and engine temp would drop. Next year that was illegal).

Today it is mostly reworking my computer cars to run cooler/ more efficiently.

Or could be "DOHC guy" first car had a DOHC-6 and have two now (plus a DOHC-4 and a SOHC-6, two others are auld cam in block cars.)

I used to consider myself a Chevrolet guy, but not anymore. I love pretty much all of them from every brand. That includes Chevrolet and all the rest. Currently have one Chevrolet, one Ford and one non running Jeep in the family. Although not cognizant of it when getting the Ford last year, one of them is red, one white and one blue. When I realized it though I had to get a photo of them together, but I digress. 

I'm known to most people as El Camino Billy and my favorite brand is Edsel. I tend to gravitate towards the unusual and obscure, the less common it is the more I like it. I'm obsessed with Crosleys and cyclecars. I prefer 4-doors and I've thought wagons were cool long before most people did. 

I guess I'm unquantifiable. 

I am building a reputation as an automotive photographer. Perhaps I can be known as a car photo guy.

The first car I ever owned was a 1929 Studebaker.   I have always owned and driven 1929 Studebaker’s.   I was never a car restorer.  I just like to drive them.   My current 1929 Studebaker is a President Brougham which I drive.   I am the 1929 Studebaker President driver.   Or at least I was.  

Now I am the guy who used to be the 1929 Studebaker President driver who now sits in his Studebaker with the engine running in the garage while enjoying the sounds and smells of an old car remembering the good times  because health issues prevents me from driving.   I hope to be the 1929 Studebaker President driver again one day.   I am so tired of just remembering I want to feel and enjoy it again.  

AB5E24C3-B22A-44B5-92EB-AE46768CA72E.jpeg

Edited by Mark Huston (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

My Dad, Willis Frankiln Keiser, worked for Chrysler Corporation for 37 years. He raised me around those cars. He used to take us to see the new Chrysler cars being unveiled each year. Being a Chrysler executive for Export-Import Division, I saw MANY odd and unique cars. The night that the Andrea Doria went down was an exiting night for the Keiser family. Dad talked about the beautiful show car that was in the hold of the ship that went to the bottom. He brought cool cars home like the bubble-top Imperial used for the Queen to visit Canada and the USA. He took us for a ride in it at night so we could see the stars through the roof. He also brought home cars from the Chrysler Executive car lot that were mostly special order jobs. I like LOADS of other cars, but I will always be a "Chrysler guy".

Queens car that we rode in.jpg

• Like 7

Pre War car guy, I was 10 years old in 1961 when Mom dropped me off at the Fairfield County Region HCCA Fall Meet here in Ridgefield. There was a 1942 cutoff date, and some of the finest cars in the world showed up there with owners that helped shape my interest in Antique cars. Being young I'd often get a call from someone retiring or moving South, so I've always been a Parts Guy, only do Hershey now, internet is a lot easier. Unfinished Projects guy is how I'll be remembered. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Interesting topic! I am just now taking a break from typing a story I wrote on a coach work builder - so yes Ed, I am a coach work guy  ( thank you very much) and I also , like my friend Bob , identify myself as a  Pre War car guy , that being said I have come to appreciate and enjoy post war cars as well in the past year or two. It would be very difficult for me to pin myself down to a specific make of car  - I owned a Franklin for over 40 years but now have a Packard and a Buick - both pre war.  Many cars I would love to experience and own: Reo Royale, Cunningham, Pierce Arrow , model L Lincoln , Studebaker Land Cruiser , the list will be endless so I will stop now, go back to finishing the typing - then look at the list of at least 2 dozen stories I have ideas for and the material to look at/ research  that haven't and need to be told. So this is retirement????

• Like 2

Not sure how to label myself.

For pre-war I enjoy the more unusual marques.

The ones you rarely hear of. I enjoy being able to go to a show and know there is a 99% chance there will not be another car like mine there.

I enjoy spreading the word about orphaned marques and educating others on cars they may never have known existed.

But I do think that Pierce Arrow was the finest pre-war American car ever built.

For post war cars I'm definitely a Chevy guy.

My Dad was a post-war Ford guy and he had at least 6 different ones while I was growing up.

A '53 that he restored and kept until he passed and a bunch of different '64 Galaxies.

I always helped him work on his Fords, but I hated so many things about how the cars were designed that I used to joke with him that I was working on the car out of respect for its age, not because I like Fords.  Haha.

In '64 those Galaxies still had a generator and it was mounted way down low on the big blocks.

Perfect place to get wet in the rain and cause problems not to mention a pain in the butt to get to when it needed to be changed.

The funky steering system with the ram arm instead of a power box like Chevy's - I could go on and on.  😏

• Like 1

Are you a fine thread nut or a coarse thread nut? The fine thread car nut can be seen, beautifully dressed, beside his shiny restored car at Pebble Beach. A team of flunkies are cleaning the tire treads with toothbrushes and polishing the chrome. If you asked him a technical question about his car, he would be stuck for an answer. He buys wax by the case.

The coarse thread car nut wears jeans and T shirt, dungarees or greasy overalls. You will find him in the garage, lying under his car on a piece of cardboard. He can tell you the specs of his engine down to the finest detail. If you ask the color of his upholstery  he will have to look at the car or think for a minute. He buys hand cleaner by the case.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

I think our individual pasts have a great influence on what kind of cars we collect and appreciate--it is probably the single greatest driver of this hobby. However, now that I've had the job that I have for as long as I have, I've learned to be an open-minded car guy. We box ourselves into a niche with things we like or that we understand and tend stay there. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that and I'm guilty of it myself with 1941 Buicks (which, of course, were my father's favorites). In the past 10 years, I've had cars that I've always wanted and they turned out to be a disappointment. I've also had cars that I never in a million years would have expected to like and just fell in love. I'm a pre-war guy, but sampling certain post-war cars has opened my eyes as well.

For example, Melanie's 1956 Chrysler wagon is one of the best old cars I've ever driven, period. I wouldn't have picked a 1956 Chrysler as a car I wanted to own, but now that I have one, I'm a convert and it delights us every time we use it.

Another example: I've always wanted a 1934 Packard, ever since I was about 8 years old. I'm not alone and they're wonderful cars. I've now had three of them and none really made me excited. I WANTED to be excited about them, but they were just OK to me. Granted, none was a Twelve, none were open cars, and none were exceptional cars, but if a car was really going to talk to me, those factors wouldn't be as critical. I spent 40 years waiting for a 1934 Packard and when I got one... meh. I remain open to owning a great one because I still think they're beautiful and I do browse "1934 Packard" with regularity on all the major sites. But I'm no longer hungry to own one.

Example three: A fellow in Pittsburgh called me a few years ago and said that he was moving into a retirement home and had to get his son's old car out of the garage. It was literally that story: his son had died in Vietnam in 1970 and his car had been sitting since then. It had to go now that he was moving. He just said it was a black Chevy convertible. I wasn't terribly excited, the guy didn't know how to send photos, but it was only 2 hours away so why not? I get there, we hike into the back yard where there's a building, and we drag the doors open on this garage.

DSC00130.JPG.d8b1f21a1084d11d9e4a85936052f991.JPG

The first thing I see is a big hulk covered with boxes, debris, lawn equipment, and 40 years of neglect. But I also see this:

025.thumb.JPG.8c16c915adcfcaba0a2a31a61918e02d.JPG

I say, "I'll take it," without looking any closer or even cleaning it off. Here it is when we finally got the junk off it and pulled it out into the light:

097.thumb.JPG.de96b90186d03c9cb7d9f6fcdc94aa76.JPG  096.thumb.JPG.eda5cccd45c78dfcfffc07c8a0dbb6e1.JPG  098.thumb.JPG.382f5893250eb44b06e505495dd813f4.JPG

Then we spent more than a year on it, cleaning, fixing, servicing, sorting. New fuel system, new brake system, new top (the original just couldn't be saved), new tires, new exhaust, rebuilt everything like water pump, fuel pump, carburetor, alternator, starter, etc. We buffed the paint and removed the interior to clean it--we pressure washed the carpets out in the parking lot and put them back in when they were dry. Not restored, but serviced, cleaned, and resuscitated to run like new. Result?

001.thumb.jpg.ebedb0153e466182ba642ad248bebca4.jpg  010.thumb.JPG.f2effb88ec1e757f49639d09904af466.JPG  049.thumb.JPG.d0afb00b08f54f0c10e8ef63b2e74d6e.JPG

072.thumb.JPG.c128550ed45dfcc659214fd6c4d84f0f.JPG  080.thumb.JPG.6e8b67c5705b1971097d840bf2b00221.JPG

Matching-numbers triple black 1966 Impala SS427 convertible with just 28,000 original miles. Loaded with options and we even found the build sheet under the rear seat.

Anyway, I'm digressing other than to say I LOVED this car. One of the very best cars I've ever laid hands on, never mind owned. Drove like new: fast, powerful, smooth, no squeaks or rattles, and while the '66 Impalas are a little plain, I found it handsome in its own way. This was a car I never, ever would have expected in a million years to fall in love with, yet here it was. I loved looking at it, I loved sitting in it, and I loved the endless reserves of smooth, effortless torque it delivered. I deeply regret selling it and this is one of two cars where I've asked the new owner to sell it back to me when he's done. He's still got it with no intentions of giving it up.

So this is a long way of saying that you should try to keep your options open if you're browsing for something new, because there are great cars out there that you haven't discovered for yourself yet. Everyone loves something, and I've found it worthwhile to explore why other people love the cars they do--they're not fools and maybe there's some merit to their choices. I've never been a Chevy guy, let alone a post-war or muscle car guy, but this is my #2 all-time favorite car. I would not have picked it out of a lineup of cars I wanted to own and if you said I could own 100 cars to fill out a collection, I'm pretty sure this car would not have made the list prior to me owning it. Nevertheless, I found something that I would not have discovered otherwise and it was awesome.

So be an open-minded car guy. You might just be surprised by all the amazing stuff out there you never would have considered...

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was going through some papers from my childhood recently, and I came across a large drawing I made in 6th or 7th grade picturing the kind of car I really loved at the time.  I had to laugh when I saw the drawing, as it looked identical to the car I recently bought.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

So be an open-minded car guy. You might just be surprised by all the amazing stuff out there you never would have considered...

A few years ago I would have never even entertained the thought of owning a Ford Model A, but the availability of parts and their overall driveability has had me rethinking this.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zepher said:

A few years ago I would have never even entertained the thought of owning a Ford Model A, but the availability of parts and their overall driveability has had me rethinking this.

Many think the model A’s and model T’s are mundane. I have had more fun with those cars than any others I have ever owned. I am open minded and love all cars. I’m just a little out of round!

2 minutes ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Many think the model A’s and model T’s are mundane. I have had more fun with those cars than any others I have ever owned. I am open minded and love all cars. I’m just a little out of round!

My main reason for not wanting one in the past was because they are everywhere.

But these days even a Model A is somewhat rare at shows these days.

• Thanks 1

I would have to say "I'm an Old Car Guy".   My list of former vehicles reads like a "Bucket List" to me.  As I think back over them, I could still love most of them today.   About 50 years ago, when I was new to the hobby, I cut out ads in Hemming's of cars my father had owned during his life. 

I framed them as "Cars of John Dobbin and gave it to him.  He loved it and was amazed at the prices of all his old cars and enjoyed my interest and restoration projects.   After all I got my inspiration from him when he told  at age 13 that I

could buy a old motorcycle and he would split the purchase cost with me.  One condition, I had to restore it before I could ride it.  I learned a lot and took real good care of it due to my sweat equity, which has stuck with me for a lifetime of old cars.

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I am a "sports car " guy.  Stutz Bearcat or  Vauxhall 30 - 98 all the way to late 70's FIA cars.  My flip side is old trucks. Polar opposites . Gas is quite expensive in my area , generally the highest price in North America.

So anything I drive much needs to have good fuel economy. 

Greg

imagesvauxhall.jpg

Chevron-Racing-Car-1600x1067.jpg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

I would hope most see me as a carburetor guy ;)

As far as a specific car make/style ????? Maybe a John Deere tractor or heavy truck.....................whatever is required to get the job done!

Quoting padgett "my hobby is a continuously evolving process": over the years, have owned and enjoyed tractors, trucks, sedans, roadsters (not any more, I "burn" too easily), hardtops, sports cars, muscle cars, and mini-vans.

I will never afford either of my two dream cars (both produced by Jaguar) unless I win the lottery (and I don't play).

I just enjoy things mechanical. 

Jon.

• Like 3

Sports cars. Austin Healy’s, MG’s, Alpha’s, E-type’s (in my dreams), Morgan’s, Lotus’s (but I can’t really fit), Z cars -260-280-300, Honda S-2000, until my back problems messed up my legs so now it’s pre-war affordable things like this 38 Studebaker. 

Have fun

Dave S 4131F0B1-001E-43E9-B18F-7DA0D60232A9.jpeg.e3808a69f5b9b605583322a8ae551b0e.jpeg

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I came home from the hospital in a Model A in 1931 and remember to this day a couple things about it which occurred some years later when I was old enough to remember.  One was that the rear window winder of the Tudor got broken off by a trunk on the back seat during a vacation trip, another was what Dad did with matches in it.  He used wooden stick matches to prevent the choke pull rod from rattling in the hole it passed through, and when lighting up for a smoke he struck them on the ribbing of the dash.  One of my cars is a '31 Model A, perhaps somewhat of a nostalgia trip?  On two other instances I was absolutely stunned at my first sightings of 2 special cars.  The first a '37 Cord, observed as a pre-teen, the second an XK 120 Jaguar roadster as a college student in '49.  Specimens of both marques were had-to-haves, and accordingly examples of both are tucked away in my garage. 

Throughout my driving life I have always preferred 2 doors, 2 seats, top down, and that includes my '59 Karmann Ghia bought in 1966, a 1970Triumph TR6 bought new, 3 late 80's Merkur XR4TI's, and a 1990 Nissan 300ZX (sold 2 yrs ago). So Sports Car covers it for me. However when I decided to get into the old car restoration hobby, my interest was largely pre 1935, the end of the era of exposed fenders, mostly plain mechanical stuff, cars you can work on yourself. I'm not a high volume owner, just a 1931 Chevrolet (because it was available locally at a good price to restore), and my current project, a 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster (because it was found in a barn after a long search). I find this site is a great source of wonderful cars, their proud owners and technical expertise. I like 'em all, high end, low end, show, driver, rod, common or rare, you name it. 

I just had to have this "vintage limo" when I saw it in a toy store when I was ten years old. I repainted it green and painted the top black,using bristles from a paint brush in the top paint to give it that fabric look, all before I was fifteen. Years later,look what I own !

I was known in the local old car club as the "Ford Hater", because everyone seemed to have one, and I had to be different.I bought my '21 490 Chevy in 1972. I had to tone down the rhetoric ten years ago when I remarried .My wife worked at Ford dealers for fifty years and it's hard to explain the 2000 Mustang GT ragtop and the 2013 Escape in the fleet.

IMG_1557.JPG

IMG_1463.JPG

• Like 1

With a current varied collection from 2 Willys cars, a Nash and a '52 Ford F1 I'm still a die hard '58 Buick guy!

Like others have said, your 1st car does sway you and in my case keeping the first two '58's to this day quantifies me as a '58 Buick Car Guy!!

1047696412_1958BuickLimited-November1980-pic2-Copy.thumb.jpg.a7ae0b854496fd46d290f452c67f63b5.jpg

IMG_4645.thumb.JPG.243c90ac98bc005349bb956eda80c5a3.JPG

• Like 3

Pretty much always a Chevy guy.  Always like the style and performance of Chevy.  My dad was a MoPar fan so it’s not an inherited liking for the make.  So when I decided to buy a real collector vehicle it was...a Dodge!  1937 Dodge MC 1/2 ton.  My dad was shocked at the choice but the Dodge with its steel construction was one of the main reasons for the purchase.  No wood to deal with.  What I am really best known to friends for is being a motorcycle guy.  That was my #1 passion for decades.  Still have a 1964 Vespa and 1970 Yamaha Enduro despite any possible ability to ever ride them or any motorcycle again.  Today given my lack of mobility I’m a memorabilia and literature guy. 

As a Chevy guy, king of the drag strip 

F93672C1-CEAC-4730-BF0C-59C9AF90E8AB.jpeg

• Like 1

Great thread!  Three current interests for me:  (1) old Volvos (fits with Swedish heritage: I have two, a sedan that's been in family since new, and a sporty 1971 1800E), (2) pre-war American (my father was born in 1904, but was in his fifties when I was born, so I grew up hearing a lot about cars of the pre-war era; I don't have any right now, but do have a short list for when I retire and have more time/space -- likely a Model T and a late '30s Packard or Cadillac); and (3) auto books (hundreds, going back to early 1900s).  This forum is a fabulous resource for learning about early cars and how to deal with them today.  Thanks to all who share their knowledge!

IMG_3946.jpg

• Like 3

25-30 years ago I was a die-hard MOPAR guy... MOPAR or No Car!!! Owned several Chargers and a Road Runner plus my newer daily driver was a Plymouth, then a Dodge. Passed up some decent vehicles offered to me for sale but wasn't (at the time) interested in them due to my "MOPAR only" attitude.  1978 AMC Pacer with only 10,000 miles for $500.00. 1967 Pontiac Tempest convertible for $2000.00 in very good shape. 1968 Impala SS convertible (needed restored) for $750.00.  The list could go on. Had to do a major downsize when I bought my 1st house and sold all but 1 old car.

Now I have 6 old cars. 2 of them are AMC Marlins and 2 are Chrysler K-Car convertibles. I have been called crazy and weird to my face, wonder what they are saying behind my back? 

I like extremely well made cars, brass to about the late 20s. I have opinions about body styles but they are always secondary to the mechanical aspects... I'd take the stodgiest SG sedan over any mid-to late 30s Cord or V-16 Cadillac,  roadsters included. The failing here is that I cannot afford, nor will I ever be able to afford, what I like so I have to settle for trying to make the best of what I can get. None of the stuff I like has any relevance to my background. I do not come from a family where anyone was the slightest bit interested in cars other than as appliances...the muscle cars of my HS days didn't interest me then and don't now. I've never even seen an automobile race much less participated in one and I find modern cars a bore. I've also never been able to stand more than about 10 minutes of any car related TV show though I confess to have seen very few and then only when I'm stuck in a motel somewhere. In fact, I'm not really a "car guy" at all save in a narrow and increasingly marginalized way.

My first car when I started driving was a 1970 4dr Toyota Corona.  I didn't really care for the car since my friends had faster and more funner cars. I didn't have it too long since it wasn't very dependable and my dad got tired of working on it.  I saved up some money and my Junior year in high school my brother found me a 1965 Malibu SS for $700. The original motor and 4 speed trans were gone, but it was transplanted with a 66 GTO 389 engine with a Ford 3 speed top loader when I got it.  I had fun with it, raced a few folks on cruising nights and did pretty well. Needed rear quarters and other stuff, but being young I never had enough cash or a place to get it done up. I had to sell it when I went into the military.  I miss that one. I had a 1966 Chevy short bed fleet side truck too, that one had to be sold since it wasn't dependable at the time and I needed good wheels for getting to and from work.  Miss that one. Original 283 truck.  So you could say I'm a Chevy guy.  Have had a lot of them through the years. Still own some now. The Mercury was something that I liked and was different. Maybe I will convert to a Ford guy.  Maybe :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Old car guy.  Since my tastes cover a fairly wide range, its hard to pinpoint a single marque.   In my younger years I would have said tri five Chev or Corvette guy. Really though, my primary interest is pretty much any prewar car, 29 to 39 would be my favorite decade, for as long as I can remember.  That time frame trumps marque for me.  Been lucky enough to have had a few, Chevy, 3 Fords, Plymouth and one Packard prewar.  A Full Classic would be nice but there are others on the want list.  I also like traditional hot rods which by definition, are largely prewar Fords. 

Postwar preferences are sports cars and some other odds and ends.  I do think you get more out of the hobby if you are open minded, as Matt said.  

On the other hand, a HS pal just sent out the 68 Mustang he has owned since age 14, 43 years ago, for a pro restoration.  Only collector car he has ever owned and changing horses was never a consideration for him.  I might have done that but would have missed out on a lot of fun times and cars.... 

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

As I get ready to roll on out the door to the first winter swap meet of the season (all of 6, 8 or on a good month 10, 12 vendors) I think about the social aspect and seeing other old car folk, also part of it.

Some might call me a Model A guy which probably fits just fine.  I am a semi expert on them and that made getting the second one a bit easier.  The A roadster checks a lot of boxes except for being really unique.  That said, popular cars are popular for a reason...  Off to find that treasure!  😁

My interest in vehicles runs more toward the 50's and 60's. Although I love looking at and learning about models from earlier times, I have not had a desire to buy one. Also being from a farming and oilfield area, trucks have always been interesting to me. so I guess I would identify as a truck guy. A few I/2 tons I have owned thru the years  are 46 and 50 model Fords, 55 and 58 Chevys, and a 69 Dodge that was my favorite. ! bought the Dodge in 1993 and it resided with my family for 14 years. 

22 hours ago, edinmass said:

Walt G is a coach work guy.

George Holman is a race car guy.

Walt is a good call on coachwork guy.

But George is a Stutz guy.   When I think Stutz,  I think of Ernie Toth,  John Grundfor and George plus a couple of other guys who's names are slipping past me.