Jump to content

JV Puleo

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


JV Puleo last won the day on June 4

JV Puleo had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

3,682 Excellent

About JV Puleo

  • Rank
    Senior Member
  • Birthday 11/01/1951

Profile Information

  • City, State, Country
    Smithfield, Rhode Island

Recent Profile Visitors

3,457 profile views
  1. No.. but the gentleman who has them is a long-time friend and I know he's been very busy with other work. He's just about to quit doing outside work so I expect I'll see them soon. I did tell him I was in no hurry and he's been a big help with advice on how to do things - I was on the phone with him yesterday talking about this job.
  2. He'd be welcome any time...we've spoken about that before but lets make sure I've got it working correctly!
  3. And, the math involved is way beyond my capacity. Fortunately, this was all figured out at the beginning of the 20th century and there are published tables that tell you what gears to use to get a specific lead.
  4. I'll try to explain it...but keep in mind that until a few weeks ago I didn't understand what was involved. Think of the gear teeth as a giant screw thread. The teeth aren't actually straight although this isn't immediately obvious when you look at the gear. They twist slightly. The amount of twist is called the "lead" and it is a function of the number of teeth, the diametrical pitch (DP) and the helix angle of the teeth. This gear has a DP of 8, 20 teeth and a helix of 20-degrees. The lead is something like 23 inches...(I forget the exact number) so each tooth would make one turn
  5. Today I reached the moment of truth on in cutting the spiral gear. I added the two additional gears to the gear train and addressed a couple of minor issues with the dividing head. And took a test cut...it wasn't right and I couldn't see why but a friend stopped in and made a suggestion which proved to be the answer. There are times when you can't see the nose on your face...I've often asked people who knew nothing about what I was doing (my late father was one) to look at the job and see if anything didn't look right. Quite often, they see something I'd missed complet
  6. Thanks Ed. I'll look forward to that. I expect there will be a lot of adjustment after it actually makes engine noises.
  7. The 1910 Mitchell was slightly more than half the price of the 1909 but wasn't smaller. It was a drastic attempt to appeal to a larger market. I attribute most of the cut corners in the production of my car to that. You can't built a car of the same size, with roughly the same umber of parts for half the price unless you make some compromises and it looks to me as if they made lots of them. The new, cheaper design must have had a lot of problems too because it was only used for two years, 1910 and 1911. In 1912 the engine was completely redesigned again...so the '10-'11 cars are a design unto
  8. Completely different engine...I don't know about the chassis parts. I have a set of jugs and one valve cage for one but nothing interchanges. The parts came with mine...All the jugs have cracked water jackets and one has a piston stuck in it but if someone needed them they could be saved and used. In any case, "they are too good to throw away" and don't take up much room so they'll sit until I find someone who needs them.
  9. It's going to need more than some Diamond tires. What is it? I looks as if it may be an earlier Mitchell but I've never seen one and I'm too lazy to look through my old MoToR magazines for an ad.
  10. The "F" on the front of the radiator has nothing to do with the make. It is almost certainly someone's initial. That was a popular accessory at the time...you see them most often on radiator caps but the auto accessory suppliers offered several different kinds, almost always in "Old English" letters.
  11. I think I'd be more concerned to put an air filter on the car, if that is doable. The dust and grit that got sucked in with the air was far more damaging than anything else. If you change the oil regularly and don't let it get terribly dirty I doubt an oil filter will do much.
  12. To deal with the fact that the test gear blank is too close to the dividing head I made this mandrel. It's actually a piece of the feed rod from a long dismantled lathe...a piece of 3/4" shaft with a key way. Threaded 3/4-16 on one end for a nut. And a key way broached in the blank. This setup approximates the water pump shaft. It's critical that the blank be held tight because if it were to move, the teeth would be ruined. There is a set screw collar on the shaft for the nut to tighten everything against.
  13. That is Ralph Stein. The car was a Packard roadster he bought from ??? (I've forgotten the name) but he worked for Marcellus Hartley Dodge, the grandson of Marcellus Hartley, a principal of Schuyler, Hartley & Graham - the military goods dealer. Hartley's business was extremely successful...in 1888 he bought the Remington Arms Company and was also the owner of Union Metallic Cartridge. He also founded an electric company that he sold to George Westinghouse. The grandson merged the two companies in 1912 resulting in Remington/UMC. That picture, and a description of the car can b
  14. I think your instincts are good on that one...they are rarely as bad as they look. Most of the critical surfaces are cast iron which rusts at a far slower rate than steel and almost never rusts very deep unless it's in constant contact with water... this is why steel water jackets rust out while engine blocks rarely do.
  15. I hadn't thought of just holding the fixture up to the bar. It makes sense and would be a lot easier to make.
  • Create New...