Hand signals! What is that?

While driving my 1965 Jeep today. It is an old fire department brush Jeep that I just keep maintained with no plans on restoring. I refer to it as my chic magnet.

Coming home from running an errand, going the speed limit plus a couple, a pickup truck was following me close. Using a hand signal for a left turn, I guess the idiot thought that meant to pass on the left. If I was not paying attention, I may not have been here to type this

Do they still teach hand signals in drivers ed?

Excuse my rant and pay attention while using hand signals!

• Like 1

Hand signals are on the AZ driver's license test.

Motorcyclists still occasionally use them.

With that being said, I seldom use them since I have installed turn signals on my 1930 Model A.

Screen Shot 2023-08-30 at 9.41.31 AM.png

1AZDL.jpg

Edited by AzBob (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Some years ago I used hand signals when driving my touring car and at least 80% of the time I got drivers waving back and smiling- they thought I was say "Hi"

SO I had the factory issued fog lamps up at the front of the car rewired and added a pair of cowl lights on brackets I made at the back below the tail light and had them wired to a directional signal switch I could control manually ( no automatic turn off)  that seems to work but most people as mentioned rarely use even the directional signals on the modern cars so ....................

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The most commonly seen hand signal these days involves just 1 finger unfortunately. 

Terry

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Like Walt, I often get people waving back at me when I signal a turn. Even more of them climb up my tailpipe in fury as I make my turn, apparently unaware that I just told them was I was about to do.

I don't like add-on signals, but if you can integrate turn signals into your car in a tidy way, I think it is a worthwhile safety improvement. Same with the high-mounted third brake light, one of which I have in all my old cars. It has cut down on close calls from behind SIGNIFICANTLY.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Some years ago I used hand signals when driving my touring car and at least 80% of the time I got drivers waving back and smiling- they thought I was say "Hi"

HaHa! Stupid me just did this the other day. I was driving along a rural road when I saw a 30's era pickup truck coming towards me in the opposite direction. There was another road that intersected the main road to my left and as I approached the pickup, the driver stuck his hand out the window with his forearm straight up with hand open and fingers together. I didn't recognize him but threw my hand out of my window and waved back. As I passed him he made a right hand turn onto the other road and I realized that I am an idiot. 🤪

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

56 minutes ago, Alex D. said:

Do they still teach hand signals in drivers ed?

I don't believe there are any school districts in my area that still offer drivers ed.

• Like 1

Had a 1933 Chevrolet coupe in High School, it had one stop light, used hand signals all the time.  Then again that was in 1967 so maybe some other drivers actually knew what I was doing.....

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

HaHa! Stupid me just did this the other day. I was driving along a rural road when I saw a 30's era pickup truck coming towards me in the opposite direction. There was another road that intersected the main road to my left and as I approached the pickup, the driver stuck his hand out the window with his forearm straight up with hand open and fingers together. I didn't recognize him but threw my hand out of my window and waved back. As I passed him he made a right hand turn onto the other road and I realized that I am an idiot. 🤪

Fie! Fie, I say!🧐

🙂

At least as of a few years ago hand signals were codified in the PA regs. I know because a cop gave me a ticket for failing to signal a turn. In front of the judge I asked the cop could he state  with certainty whether or not I used a hand signal. To his credit he stated he could not..... Case dismissed.

Luckily the judge never asked me if I actually did or did not signal.

If he did I was prepared to cite the 5th amendment............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Haha 3

Where I grew up and got my DL, use of hand signals while driving a car or a truck was illegal/prohibited (OK for left turn on motorcycles, IIRC), but I quickly adapted to using them after I moved to U.S. about 40 years ago and still use them every time when out in my PB Roadster or any other vintage car that doesn't have built in turn signals.

OTOH, I always drive defensively and mindful of the fact that 90+% of other road users (at least where I've driven/traveled in cars/trucks in past few decades) do not know how to drive, don't understand traffic and shouldn't have the privilege to operate a motor vehicle on public roads in the first place.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2024 at 9:38 AM, Ronnie said:

A lot of young people don't even know what the hands on a clock mean much less the hand signals for a turn. :) 

Yes, my wife, now a retired High School science teacher, told me years ago (when she was still working) that some 8th or higher grade students, while staring at an analog clock on the hallway wall, would ask her what time it is showing. 

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

This has happened to me a bunch of times in my Model T. They think you are trying to tell them to pass on the left, that is if they take their d@#n noses out of their cell phones long enough to even see you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AzBob said:

Hand signals are on the AZ driver's license test.

Motorcyclists still occasionally use them.

Bicycle riders are also expected to use hand signals, at least they are here; be it on a public road, or a dedicated bike path.  I know in my case, because of that, I knew what hand signals meant, years before I was car driving age. 

With more bikes on the road, and people of car driving age being encouraged to use them, I don't expect hand signals to ever go away.

Craig

• Like 2

You mean to tell me that all of these "smarter than we are" self-driving/parking cars aren't equipped to understand a hand signal when it "sees" one

Also, shouldn't they (the AI cars) be able to use hand signals when they are driving your car? 

(Looks like semaphores may make a comeback);)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 8E45E said:

I don't expect hand signals to ever go away.

Craig

I just spent 8 weeks in Florida and while you might not expect hand signals to go away where you are, it seems like very few people use any kind of signals in the sunshine state. 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

My 'antique car' is equipped with turn signals. All I can say is you guys that dont have them and rely on hand signals are taking a risk I dont want to have! I have turn signals on my motorcycle and use them all of the time, I still will throw my arm out with a hand signal as well belt and suspenders thing. For me being seen and knowing what I am doing and what direction I am traveling by the motorist behind me is of utmost importance. Disturbing the original appearance of a car would be the least bit of inconvenience compared to getting rear-ended and having the car damaged or worse totaled, not to mention the damage to the driver and or passengers. Its nice to harken back to a time when people understood and used hand signals, but things move at a much faster pace today. It seems completely irresponsible for owners of non equipped antique cars NOT to install them. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

A lot of young people don't even know what the hands on a clock mean much less the hand signals for a turn. :) 

Children are taught the same hand signals

for bicycle riding.  You'd think they should

recognize them from the driver of an old car.

• Like 1

And you have to know them to get a driver's license in Washington State. Bicycles are expected to use the same roads and follow the same laws as motor vehicles. Hand signals are all bicycles have. I would be surprised if there is any US state that lets you slide on knowing hand signals when obtaining a driver's license for a motor vehicle.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

We have been down this topic/road on at least one prior occasion and it seems that the ignorance/recklessness of many drivers remains a major problem, regardless of your locale.  Certainly is a major problem here in Southern California.  I always think back to my father's admonitions when he was teaching me how to drive back in the 1960s:  One, best way to drive is to assume everyone else on the road is drunk.  Two, think of all the knuckleheads you know, and every one of them has a driver's license.  Finally, as also discussed previously, there is nothing worse than slapping some trailer lights on your fenders as 'turn signals' when it is easy to use either period lights (e.g., fog lights in the front) and/or convert your stock lights to dual filament/turn signals.  Did that on the rear of my '34 and also added an inconspicuous, high third brake light, very bright, that is a major help, particularly at night.  If you are going to drive them, you need to arm yourself, both mentally and mechanically. 

34plyorear.jpg

• Like 4

For the preservation of life, limb and sheet metal, fit your car with highly visible turn and brake lights, easily mounted and removed as needed.  Today's drivers do not know or recognize hand signals anymore.   The life and car you save may be your own.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Who told you this?  I have not heard of a source that teaches bicycle riding other than parents or the child’s peers.

• Like 1

Driving an old car is like being on a racetrack. Everyone is trying to pass you, and nobody cares where you are going. Pay attention to everyone else. Drive defensively. If you get in a wreck their insurance is not going to want to fix your car correctly. Sometimes it is better to go another block or make a right turn instead of a left rather than get run over. Always signal whether it be with lamps or by hand. Some people are just stupid and that is not your fault. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

They're still in the Virginia Driver's Manual, but when local police don't bother using turn signals I suppose you can't expect the driving public to signal intention to turn.

Va has the stupidest system I've ever seen. By legislation, there are "primary"  and "secondary" violations. An officer cannot stop you for a "secondary" violation but can ticket you for one if it's discovered in conjunction with a "primary" violation. Failure to use your turn signals is not a primary violation so you'd never be stopped. However, if you are involved in accident and have committed a "primary" violation (eg reckless driving) you could be ticketed for not using a signal. 

Now you can understand why virtually nobody in Va uses their turn signals.

Terry

56 minutes ago, Bloo said:

And you have to know them to get a driver's license in Washington State. Bicycles are expected to use the same roads and follow the same laws as motor vehicles. Hand signals are all bicycles have. I would be surprised if there is any US state that lets you slide on knowing hand signals when obtaining a driver's license for a motor vehicle.

Having had 2 kids get their DL in the not too distant past, I can say definitively that there is no mention of hand signals in any PA maual or test. I would not want my kids using hand signals. I wouldn't want someone misinterpreting the left turn hand signal for pull around on the left as they were attemtping to make a left turn.

43 minutes ago, Brass is Best said:

Driving an old car is like being on a racetrack. Everyone is trying to pass you, and nobody cares where you are going.

I have always wondered about this one. What is the prize for winning?

Steve

47 minutes ago, SteveMaz said:

I wouldn't want someone misinterpreting the left turn hand signal for pull around on the left

I'm sure that is what the cretin in back of me was thinking.  Left arm straight out, go around.

None of my cars came from the factory with turn signals. Signals have been installed on all but the Jeep, and it will be getting signals ASAP.

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

John,

I have not seen a child ride a bicycle since my own children and that was well over 30 years ago. The only people I see on bicycles now are rich guys in spandex suits taking up the entire road abiding by no rules of the road! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

All my cars are newer with stock lights. However my wife and I ride e bikes and we can get our speed up to almost 25 MPH which makes us almost able to keep up with surface road city traffic. I always stay to the right use my hand signals [which I am quite sure most other drivers don't know what they are] and I always take the appropriate lane at intersections [straight, right, or left turns]. I always have my head on a swivel as I am concerned about other drivers watching out for me. My wife is very attractive so she has less to worry about as the other drivers [especially men] are watching her...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scott Bonesteel said:

One, best way to drive is to assume everyone else on the road is drunk.  Two, think of all the knuckleheads you know, and every one of them has a driver's license. 

I told my kids 1) People drive because they have a vehicle, not because they know how, and 2) as simple as most drivers’ minds are you still can’t read them so expect them to do the stupidest thing at the worst possible time.

• Like 3

In the 1940's one of my grandfathers said he couldn't remember what meant what, so he would just stick his arm out and said, let them figure it out that I'm going to do something.  He died when I was 3 years old.  On long trips with me and my grandmother in the back seat, I would always say "Grandmother, tell me about Granddaddy's wrecks"

8 hours ago, TTR said:

mindful of the fact that 90+% of other road users (at least where I've driven/traveled in cars/trucks in past few decades) do not know how to drive, don't understand traffic and shouldn't have the privilege to operate a motor vehicle on public roads in the first place.

I hope that is a bit pessimistic. However, I applaud. I drive that way also, and think that everyone should.