Forum Member and AACA Past President Earl Beauchamp, Jr. Has Passed Away

Steve Moskowitz

Sad loss.  His long enthusiasm for 1939 Buick's will be missed.  

Had meet him at BCA national meets and had many emails

Profile:- https://forums.aaca.org/profile/76364-dynaflash8/

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Earl was the national Vice President in charge

of newsletters when I first became editor.  What

he wrote on the forum, and in the Rummage Box,

was very helpful for a beginning editor.

We last communicated this summer, and he told

me about the 1968 Buick Skylark 4-door hardtop

which he had just bought.  He did some work on it

and had it repainted.  And we discussed car transporters

for getting his '39 Buick Special north for the Sentimental

Tour.

Now he'll likely be seeing Chris Ritter and continuing

friendships...

• Like 1

He was very active in the hobby starting in the 1960's even started a National club for 1940 - 1948 cars. I sort of knew who he was on one of the muddy Blue Field exits at Hershey and let him slide in front of me. Always saw him and Judy at the Annual Meeting, he did a lot for the hobby and will be missed. 

Bob 

Earl and I would always find time to have a long conversation at Hershey as in addition to AACA we belonged to CCCA. Also we both had Buicks in the early 1940s and would discuss the fine automobiles that they were and what a delight they were to drive.  I sold Earl a gallon of black lacquer for his 1941 Buick after buying 3 or 4 unopened cans just a few steps away from my flea market spaces some years ago, he paid me what I paid for it .  A total enthusiast  and wonderful friend. It was a pleasure and an honor to be his friend , I am a better person for knowing him.

Walt

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I met Earl over 60 years ago. We used to have lunch together, when we worked at Fort Meade, Md. We got the idea of starting a club for the cars of the 30s and 40s at these lunch time meetings. We founded the CHVA in 1967, Earl was CHVA # 1 and I was CHVA # 2.  The last time I talked to Earl was at the AACA spring national in Gettysburg. Earl was admiring my 33 Franklin Olympic in the HPOF class.  Earl can not be replaced, he was one of a kind.  Dave Phillips CHVA #2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Earl was an early "internet committee chairperson" (1990?). I think he got the position to keep that "younger whipper-snapper in Tucson" in check.  When he first took the post he wasn't really convinced the internet had any value to the world let alone the hobby.  He changed his tune. :) 

Flew with him and Judy in a puddle jumper from Metropolis IL to St Louis once. He was none to happy to be on that plane.

Drove to Phoenix once just to look at a car for him.  Buick of course. I was his eyes as asked questions and had me send detailed photos. He obviously knew preciously what he was looking for.  The name of the dealer escapes me, but he had a number of CCCA classics including multiple Duesenbergs, Packards, Pierce-Arrows and the the most valuable of all, a Red Bug. :)

Earl could be a curmudgeon, but down deep a great guy who did more for the hobby than might be appreciated.  He'll be missed.

• Like 3

So sad. It almost seems as if it's the end of an era with Earl's loss.  Like Dave Phillips, I first got to know Earl while working at the same place in Ft. Meade, Md.  At that time Earl was a member of the Chesapeake Region too so we saw each other often and  became good friends.  I learned early on that he was not at all hesitant to tell you exactly what he thought.  There was always a hug from Judy too-they were an inseparable pair. 

Earl was active in AACA long before most of us could even spell it. When I was first elected to the Board of Directors, Earl quickly became a "father figure" in many ways.  As Peter mentioned, he was one of the few of us that really participated in these discussion forums.  Aside from there, there were a lot of emails between us trying to solve all the problems of the world.  One thing I learned quickly - forget about trying to change what he thought about anything!  His candor and straight-forward approach was appreciated more than he would ever realize. 

I'll never forget working with Earl when he was pushing the idea of a Sentimental Tour.  A lot of people were unconvinced it needed to he a National Tour, but Earl would not drop the idea.  Despite his initial unwillingness to even consider running it as a smaller, shorter divisional tour, I helped convince him we needed to crawl before we walked, and he eventually agreed to organize that fist Sentimental tour as a Divisional.  Well, that tour quickly became one of the most successful AACA events ever and this year, we celebrated the 10th edition of it.  Sadly, Earl and Judy were unable to attend due to health.  He was certainly there in spirit though.  The tour was run by the Buzzards Breath Touring Region, another organization that Earl and Judy helped create.

His contributions to AACA over his lifetime are tremendous  As was said before - he was an original and simply cannot be replaced.

RIP dear friend.  Anyone trying to run a car show in heaven will soon know you're in town!

Terry

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Very sad news, I am so sorry to hear about this loss. I asked Earl just half a year ago about the early AACA junior and senior awards, especially the time before the year was printed on the winner's prize tag. Earl immediately understood what I was looking for, had his books with data back to 1953 ready on hand, and gave me the important information which let me find the 1958-1962 owner on my 1917 Locomobile! He was very friendly and freely shared his vast experience and knowledge. I wish I could have learned more from him...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

His candor and straight-forward approach was appreciated more than he would ever realize. 

Very well stated Terry , thank you so much . His passion and understanding were paramount. When the 1940-41 Roadmaster series were being considered by CCCA for classic status ( I don't use the term "full classic" like they do, as I don't think there is a 67% or 84% classic it is or it isn't) Earl and I had long discussions as to how close the parts for the Roadmaster matched the same year Cadillacs that had already been granted classic status by the CCCA supreme entitlement division . The cars shared so many parts - even parts numbers were the same! I was a member of CCCA at the time and gave some input as to facts and the Buick Roadmaster got its just recognition. At the Georgia CCCA annual meeting a great fellow from Florida had his 1940 Cadillac conv sedan there and his seat adjusting handle was worn where it attached so didn't function well. I told him to take it off and give me the casting number, he did and when I got home I checked my Buick Roadmaster that shared the identical body and the casting number was the same. I emailed him and said broaden your search to include Buick and he did and then located the proper handle that was not worn. He was very very happy and grateful and my reaction was it is what old car guys do for each other - share the knowledge share the happiness of the used cars  we enjoy and collect.

Earl's passion for that era Buick was unmatched and he embraced all who shared that with him. I will miss him very very much, a kind and sincere gentleman.

I am getting to sentimental here ( again) so will end this now , RIP Earl.

Walt Gosden

• Like 2

Yes Earl was a friend of mine.  He shared so much knowledge with me and collected cars to the end.  I will miss his posts.  He was so knowledgeable and we disagreed on old car values and he was always respectful of each others opinion. 

Folks, keep collecting, keep laying hands on old cars.  Chris, Earl and others.  We lose them every day it seems. 

Bill Stoneberg was not known perhaps to the greater AACA hobby but he recently passed away as a leader in the Buick (BCA) hobby.  Passed away too soon.  

Condolences and acknowledgements help, but the underlying message is to leave nothing on the table, go to the end.  

• Thanks 2

Condolences to Judy - Earl was one of a kind and a great asset to AACA and BCA. (And he played a mean fiddle!)

He helped me one year with the Youth Program at Richmond Region's meet in Virginia; to see the normally gruff Earl working with the kids has been a great memory and inspiration to me. 

☹️

12 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I don't know what Earl was driving in his teenage years, but the lowered rear of a car was popular then. He told me he didn't want to get involved installing lowering blocks, and added two 80 pound bags of cement to the truck to gain the same effect. 

Yep, we did.  Poor men have poor ways.  

Rest in Peace, Earl.

Ben

• Like 1

As a Participant in the first two trial Sentimentaal Tours, we got to know earl & Judy well.   I think we did 6 of the 10 and joined the Buzzards Breath Region where Earl & Judy were active too.    For years the two of them graced the dance floor to everyones delight.

He was also present every time the Glidden Band gathered for a informal concert on the Glidden Tours.   During his time as AACA President, the Beauchamps were on every tour and club activity.  Fun Peiple, and we hope to see Judy continue to participate.

Just an update,

Judy is preparing to have Earl moved back to Virginia with a local viewing (I assume) at Montross Virginia. It will be a 2 day trip back for Judy and her daughter who lives down there. Arrangements are not final yet. Just speculating at this point, but it may be the weekend before the Virginia service.

I have so much to say about my relationship with the Beauchamps, will share them later as I get my thoughts together.

Wayne

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, R W Burgess said:

Just an update,

Judy is preparing to have Earl moved back to Virginia with a local viewing (I assume) at Montross Virginia. It will be a 2 day trip back for Judy and her daughter who lives down there. Arrangements are not final yet. Just speculating at this point, but it may be the weekend before the Virginia service.

I have so much to say about my relationship with the Beauchamps, will share them later as I get my thoughts together.

Wayne

Hi, Wayne.

I know you and Earl were very close friends.  My thoughts are with you, Gloria, and Earl's wife Judy.  Prayers to all of you guaranteed.

Take care, 

Pedro.

I never met him, but it was clear to me during my restoration of my 1939 Buick that he was clearly passionate about them, and very highly regarded in the community of car folks.  He used the internet to teach me a lot, something many his age would rather not even attempt.  I will always appreciate that.  My condolences to his friends and family.  

On 10/11/2022 at 8:59 AM, Restorer32 said:

I smile when I think of the Beauchamps.  I remember a time when Earl pronounced his last name as "Beechum" while Judy pronounced it "Bo shamp"  He will be missed for sure.

The Beech was for the Southerners, the Bo was for when he was in Yankee land!  😄

• Haha 3

Info for Earl Beauchamp

As the co-author of Earl Beauchamp’s Book, “The Smile That Lasted a Lifetime”, I got to know Earl well. I believe the following information to be correct. Ralph Towner

DOB: 10/19/1938

DOD: 10/07/2022

Born: Washington, DC   Hometown – Arlington, VA

Career: Worked for 35 years for the Federal Government in & around Washington, DC. When I asked him what type of work he did for the government, His reply was “If I told you, I would have to kill you.” There was likely more truth to that statement than a wisecrack. This is my theory and mine alone: Earl was an excellent typist. I believe he typed many top secret, classified documents, maybe even about UFOs and the secret locations throughout the USA where research on this subject has been rumored to be taking place since Roswell in 1947.   

Retired at the age of fifty-three

Activities: He & wife Judy, joined AACA in 1962, in Baltimore, MD. Earl was an active member and attended virtually all the annual AACA meetings in Philadelphia through the years. After retirement, he became active on the national level and was elected to the AACA Board of Directors, which he served on for 15 years, as well as serving as AACA National President in 2004. 

Accomplishments:

Earl was a newsletter editor for his region for many years.

He formed the Northern Neck Region in Virginia

Chair of a committee which wrote the Newsletter Editors Manual

Authored many articles for Antique Automobile magazine & other publications

Convinced the Board to allow vehicles 25 years & older to participate in AACA events.

Convinced the Board to do a trial run of the Sentimental Tour, which became a bi-annual event. This tour included vehicles from 1928 through 1958. It became one of the most successful tours. Earl considered this his finest accomplishment. 

Earl & Judy thought our Suwannee River Region was a good, active region, and they joined us in 2016.

Earl was known for his candor and straight-forward approach. To paraphrase Terry, you learned quickly to not even try to change his opinion on whatever he thought about anything. He was one of a kind but was respected and appreciated more than he would ever realize. Few people have accomplished anywhere near what Earl has for the antique car hobby and AACA.

He will be missed…

1939 Buick, Suzybelle at Hershey.jpg

Earl & Judy.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

I was able to attend the memorial service today.  It was small, but very well done.  Great to see members from the Northern Neck Region of AACA, which Early helped to start.  Understand from talking with Judy that a number of AACA folks made it for the viewing yesterday including Steve and Don Barlup.  Lots of memories. RIP good friend.

Terry

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2022 at 10:36 AM, Ralph Towner said:

To paraphrase Terry, you learned quickly to not even try to change his opinion on whatever he thought about anything.

Maybe I was too dumb to learn, but since I didn't know you couldn't change his mind, I felt he was always open to listening, and I know i changed his mind on at least one thing, probably more. I wish I had known more about his career, as I'm sure everyone does.

We totally disagreed on White sidewall tires and the use of a lot of accessory gee-gaws on an automobile, tho. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, R W Burgess said:

I like my gee gaws too West!

A lot of us do, too !

Leave 'em off if you're only concerned with trophies,

or shine, use, enjoy, and go driving ...

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

I was very saddened to.learn of Earl's passing. He was very fond of Lassen Green 39 Buicks as he restored a Model 46C with this color. He stopped by my house several years ago just to view my original Lassen Green Model 41 even though it was a bit out of the way as he was going to a meet. He is a huge loss to the hobby. RIP Earl.