Glassesguy

Members
  • Content Count

    808
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

69 Excellent

About Glassesguy

  • Rank
    '39 Buick Team Member

Recent Profile Visitors

1,008 profile views
  1. I believe this issue is due in the stores Oct. 8 if you do not have a subscription.
  2. I found that to be true on my 37 as well. That is how I was able to establish that the transmission was original to the car. The engine itself was missing. I made a post on this a few years ago; but I don't recall any response by others. Maybe your post will cause others to verify this on their cars.
  3. All of us remember the restoration Bhigdog did on the 55 Century convertible a few years ago. This would be a piece of cake for him relatively speaking.
  4. Grant: Your initial post had started me thinking about this again. Posts by Matt, Neil, and Lawrence then pushed me to check out my Bugle collection for the article. Looks like you were on the right track on this.
  5. Matt and Neil have been spot on as to how these panels were done. I will refer everyone to an article appearing in the April 1969 BCA Bugle written by Jim Flaherty Jr. BCA 529. Jim was researching this very question. I will paraphrase his findings. The engine turned pieces were manufactured by Croname Inc of Niles, Illinois. Mr. Frank Jassen of Croname described the process. It started with a sheet of cold rolled steel. A group of swirling emery brushes descended upon the sheet giving the swirling and overlapping pattern. After cleaning the sheet was cut and stamped out on a die. A coat of lacquer was then applied. Plain and simple. No decals used here as was done on the instrument panel wood grains. Matt's pictures illustrate well how the finished engine turned product was then mated to the corresponding heavier metal piece. With regard to the different colors of lacquer supposedly used depending on the interior color, the 28-41 Part Books show only one part number for the 50-70 series and only one for the 40-60-90 Series depending on the year. Separate part number for new smaller body 40 series for 1941 as well. Time and ultraviolet light no doubt had differing effects on different panels Regarding panels that have rusted, I dipped a totally rust obscured radio surround in Evaporust. The pattern jumped right out. Stripped any remaining lacquer, then sprayed clear. Not bad as Thomas B. pictures illustrate. This posting should put to rest any doubt as to the process used on the engine turned panels for 1940, 41,and 42.
  6. Are the wires inserted into the cap and/ or attached to the plugs into the correct order? Check to be sure distributor is / was inserted correctly into the block . Just one tooth off did this on my 39 so it's worth checking.
  7. Yes. Ball bearing pump for series 40 was made backward compatible to 34&35 series 40.. Also goes up up through 1940 series 40and 50. 1941 to 1948 switched to the same pump as used on the 320 engine.
  8. That first photo matches my trunk exactly. Material is adhered to the inner surface of the trunk sides.
  9. Per what Don Micheletti posted, per a Service Bulletin issued later in1938, the heater hose bracket was moved to the front spark plug cover bolt after the valve cover design was changed by eliminating the center hold down stud. This, of course, means that there are later production 1938 engines that use the same valve cover as 1939 & 1940 (and some later years).
  10. I understand Dexron 5 is full synthetic and should NOT be used in our Dynaflows as it will attack the natural rubber (Buna N ) etc.
  11. Tecumseh,Michigan. I lived there in the 50s&early 60s.
  12. Tecumseh Michigan. I lived there in the 50s& early 60s.