If you could order any car, any year, what would it be?

JonW

I had a friend in high school who was firmly convinced that you could order any car of any year, and better yet, pay the price for it when it was new. For example, (this taking place in 1971), he believed you could order a ‘57 Chevy Bel Air to your liking and pay the price it was in 1957. Even though my dad was an Oldsmobile dealer and I knew better, I could not convince him otherwise. Under this scenario, what would you order? 

Ask me tomorrow and my answer might be different, but today it would be:

1971 Olds 442 coupe (1971 for the best combo of grille and taillights)

Viking Blue with white interior

455 4-speed

Every available option (except W-30, since I want air conditioning)

2 hours ago, JonW said:

order any car of any year, and better yet, pay the price for it when it was new.

Since we are firmly in fantasy land lets specify that the buyer will be around to take delivery and in such condition he can drive and enjoy same. In that case I will take a 2035 Ford. .....Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, JonW said:

I had a friend in high school who was firmly convinced that you could order any car of any year, and better yet, pay the price for it when it was new. For example, (this taking place in 1971), he believed you could order a ‘57 Chevy Bel Air to your liking and pay the price it was in 1957. Even though my dad was an Oldsmobile dealer and I knew better, I could not convince him otherwise. Under this scenario, what would you order? 

Ask me tomorrow and my answer might be different, but today it would be:

1971 Olds 442 coupe (1971 for the best combo of grille and taillights)

Viking Blue with white interior

455 4-speed

Every available option (except W-30, since I want air conditioning)

Today it would be:

1971 Cutlass Supreme SX (basically a sleeper 442 disguised as a luxury coupe)

Bittersweet with saddle interior

455 auto

Every available option

Ask me tomorrow and my answer might be:

1968 Charger R/T

Colors to be determined - maybe "Bullitt" triple-black

Hemi auto

Every available option

Please deliver my white 1958 Imperial convertible with A/C and white top, white leather interior and red carpet,

Thank you,

Oh, and my wife will have a second helping identical to her white body, turquoise top and interior 1954 Cadillac convertible,

but her absolute dream is the 1967 Citroen Henri Chapron DS-21 convertible

Our daughter's preference is the elegance of the 1930 Packard, staying with the simplicity of the 733 Touring,

while our son still wants a red Corvette convertible with A/C- most years are OK, but while our '88 is super dependable, a '71 would be sweet

Grandson says either our 1941 Cadillac convertible,

or 1937 Buick Roadmaster Phaeton would be perfect on days he's not on campus in his current 2001 Tahoe

• Like 1

I did order a new 1970 Chevelle, 396 SS, 4-speed, Cowl inducted, Cortez Silver and black.2-dr hard top back in the day. Under $5000.00

and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Might even but two with those prices. $5K today would hardly buy the wheels and tires for a new 2020 Tahoe Premier today. 

I came back to the states in 1970 and went to the Chevy dealer ready to buy. I asked for a new black BelAire two door sedan with a red interior, V8, 4 speed, and the AM-FM radio. The salesman said "Sounds like a nice car. BelAires only come in four doors now, how about an Impala?" I left. He didn't get it.

I'd take a '68.

Bernie

in 1966 my sister liked the SS 396 Chevelle's to look at but ordered hers with a 283 2bbl..

It still had the buckets with a console and a 4 speed.

It did not have the 396 hood. And I don't think it was an SS.

But it sure was pretty.

It is strange and admirable that all the choices to date have been those of what people would really like to have and might have missed out on rather than being cars that were affordable when new and have now risen to astronomical prices.  Perhaps there is still hope for the hobby that has not been completely overtaken by those who see nothing but $$$.

• Like 1

I would order a new '62 Lincoln convertible.  I would have it in yellow with maroon interior, with the woodgrain upgrade. I would special order T'-bird bucket seats, factory air, cruise control,  power vent windows then ask them to install a Fairlane 500 4 speed and throw in a T-bird console. 

The whole thing would get me laughed out of the Lincoln dealership. So then I would got to the Cadillac dealer and talk to them about a Chevy 409 /4 speed powered Eldorado...

Happy New Year everyone. 

• Haha 1

On 12/31/2019 at 11:01 PM, ericmac said:

I would order a new '62 Lincoln convertible.  I would have it in yellow with maroon interior, with the woodgrain upgrade. I would special order T'-bird bucket seats, factory air, cruise control,  power vent windows then ask them to install a Fairlane 500 4 speed and throw in a T-bird console. 

The whole thing would get me laughed out of the Lincoln dealership. So then I would got to the Cadillac dealer and talk to them about a Chevy 409 /4 speed powered Eldorado...

Happy New Year everyone. 

Eric, love your fantasy combos.  A bone stock white over red 61 Connie would be one to consider for sure.  I think you have something similar..

I can think of several cars that would be great to buy new and keep, MG T series (never owned one yet) or TR-6 (had one), or R-107 MB SL (have one) all come to mind.  It is interesting to me how some cars, not all big dollar cars as EJBoyd points out, seem to attract long term owners more so than others.  Following MGs, it seems a lot have 40, 50 or even 60 year owners.  Other caes, no one seems to hang onto.  Maybe food for another thread...

Issue is no one has a crystal ball if it is just financial returns that are a consideration.  Somehow I think our family friends who bought 2 76 Eldo convertibles as investments would not double the order if given the chance again!! 😁

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

1972 Chevy Blazer. Fully loaded with ac and even the optional air tank under the hood. 350-350 auto, 4wd. Forrest green with a white hard top. CST model with chrome bumpers and body side moldings. Would even go with the 4 spd manual trans. Just a little fancier than the one I had as a young man years ago. Still miss that truck a hell of a lot, but don’t miss the ex-wife sitting in it!

73AFE913-5BBC-429E-AB40-23B52A4185A6.jpeg

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...
On 12/27/2019 at 2:45 PM, JonW said:

I used to think the same thing, I was 7 years old at the time.

• Haha 1

Instead of the Corvette maybe I would get a brand spanking new 1933 Silver Arrow.

The real one, not a 'production' Silver Arrow.

• Like 2

A '29 Peerless Model 8-125 Limousine in Mocha Stone Grey in the 138" wheelbase. 

It's hard to decide between an Opal Green Roadster in 130" w.b.($2,195, none survive) or the Limo($2,395, none survive), but the Roadster would have more acceleration with the same 114 HP motor and less weight.

A couple of pictures of 7-Passengers Sedans of this model:
IMG 0019..........IMG_3694.JPG

courtesy John _ _ _ _ _of Port Hope, Ontario..............................courtesy Jason Wenig of The Creative Workshop, Florida/The Concours d'Elegance of America

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Kinda hard to pick just one. For the sake of getting a bargain, probably a duesenberg, I love pierce arrows, maybe one of them. Just to get a car I would love to have as a brand new car and drive around, most likely a Ford Model A.

On 12/27/2019 at 9:51 PM, CHuDWah said:

Today it would be:

1971 Cutlass Supreme SX (basically a sleeper 442 disguised as a luxury coupe)

Bittersweet with saddle interior

455 auto

Every available option

Ask me tomorrow and my answer might be:

1968 Charger R/T

Colors to be determined - maybe "Bullitt" triple-black

Hemi auto

Every available option

And one I missed before, although it couldn't be ordered new by the public:

1966 Mustang GT350-H

I'd also go for the 2006 and 2016 versions

Too easy............

SJN Duesenberg chassis, short wheelbase, from 1936.

Body- one off design by Rollston, true roadster, with a crazy laid back windshield. Chrome wire wheels with wheel disks, and a bunch of other one off details. Conservative but smart styling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CHuDWah said:

And one I missed before, although it couldn't be ordered new by the public:

1966 Mustang GT350-H

I'd also go for the 2006 and 2016 versions

Good choice -

That was the Hertz Rental Car version-

I recall renting one, and had to submit to a tutorial and a test even though I already had my SCCA Driver ticket

29 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

Good choice -

That was the Hertz Rental Car version-

I recall renting one, and had to submit to a tutorial and a test even though I already had my SCCA Driver ticket

Yup, hence the "H".  Dunno if it's true but there are stories of guys renting them, pulling the Shelby-modified engine, and sticking in an ordinary 289 before returning the car.  :o