If you could order any car, any year, what would it be?

JonW

12 minutes ago, nickelroadster said:

I will add a third T-head mercer in yellow.  Might even take two.

Makes my car wish look modest..........😎

I would have to say a big roadster bodied Duesenberg would be #1, Bugatti Royale #2, Auburn Boat Tail #3, 33 V-12 Cadillac Coupe #4...

Alas- I will have none of that, I will just have to be satisfied with finishing my 31 Buick 8-66S...

Dave

30 minutes ago, Str8-8-Dave said:

I would have to say a big roadster bodied Duesenberg would be #1, Bugatti Royale #2, Auburn Boat Tail #3, 33 V-12 Cadillac Coupe #4...

Alas- I will have none of that, I will just have to be satisfied with finishing my 31 Buick 8-66S...

Dave

Interesting choice..........have driven all but the Type 41 but I have played with one........and started it. About as close as anyone will come to driving one again........very sad. The J is still the best pre war car, hands down, without debate. It’s really hard to explain how good they are. Honestly my V-12 Pierce feels inadequate compared to a J, and it’s about the only thing that will reasonably keep up with one, if the driver of the J is willing to go slow enough. They ARE that fast, if you drive them as intended, which 99.9 percent of the owners do not.

Three things every man in the world should experience...........

A Model J Duesenberg..........

A long term relationship with a GOOD woman..........

The loyalty of a good dog.............

We will see how much trouble this causes!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

............or a 1927 Rickenbacker Super Sport.

This is only one that I know of.

I have always loved the styling of that car.

10 hours ago, edinmass said:

Interesting choice..........have driven all but the Type 41 but I have played with one........and started it. About as close as anyone will come to driving one again........very sad. The J is still the best pre war car, hands down, without debate. It’s really hard to explain how good they are. Honestly my V-12 Pierce feels inadequate compared to a J, and it’s about the only thing that will reasonably keep up with one, if the driver of the J is willing to go slow enough. They ARE that fast, if you drive them as intended, which 99.9 percent of the owners do not.

Three things every man in the world should experience...........

A Model J Duesenberg..........

A long term relationship with a GOOD woman..........

The loyalty of a good dog.............

We will see how much trouble this causes!

For many years as a kid my dad, a Ford advanced research manager, took us to "Sports Cars in Review" at the Henry Ford Greenfield Village museum.  His good friend and co-worker Pete DiPaolo showed old black and white 16mm racing movies in the Ford Theater.  A fixture display out on the floor where the sports cars were shown was The Duke and Duchess of Windsor's Bugatti Type 51 Royale shod in disc wheels that were up to my eyeballs at age 10.  I thought that was the coolest car I had ever seen until seeing some of Augie Duesenberg's offerings and building models of them.   I don't have the wherewithall to ever own a Duesenberg or Bugatti, or even an Auburn Boattail but I do drool over a 1933 Cadillac 12 coupe. 

I would add a 4th item to your list of things every man should experience in 4th place and optional only- the experience of a good cigar.  Churchill said "A woman is just a dame but a cigar is a really good smoke!"  Now there is a quote that could cause trouble for sure...

10 minutes ago, Str8-8-Dave said:

For many years as a kid my dad, a Ford advanced research manager, took us to "Sports Cars in Review" at the Henry Ford Greenfield Village museum.  His good friend and co-worker Pete DiPaolo showed old black and white 16mm racing movies in the Ford Theater.  A fixture display out on the floor where the sports cars were shown was The Duke and Duchess of Windsor's Bugatti Type 51 Royale shod in disc wheels that were up to my eyeballs at age 10.  I thought that was the coolest car I had ever seen until seeing some of Augie Duesenberg's offerings and building models of them.   I don't have the wherewithall to ever own a Duesenberg or Bugatti, or even an Auburn Boattail but I do drool over a 1933 Cadillac 12 coupe. 

I would add a 4th item to your list of things every man should experience in 4th place and optional only- the experience of a good cigar.  Churchill said "A woman is just a dame but a cigar is a really good smoke!"  Now there is a quote that could cause trouble for sure...

That Churchill quote is one I am very familiar with. I only light up when we win at a major concours.(First in class or better.) I didn’t get my celebratory cigar at Amelia this year, we did well and the champagne was flying through the air.......so I had to clean the car off instead!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Hands down and easy choice for me personally.. it all comes down to one. 

1 of 5 and a 20 years restoration? Oh yeah, this is the one...

The 31 Torpedo

See the source image

“Mr Dodge” your taste is simple.......you just like the best!

6 minutes ago, edinmass said:

“Mr Dodge” your taste is simple.......you just like the best!

1.) Already have the best woman I've ever met.

2.) Our best friend was a Viszla who just passed - best dog I've ever had...

3.) Never driven a Duesenberg and I'm not a fan of smoke but damn that Torpedo is sexy...

funny how it all comes back to that topic ;) 

My wife asked if I'd leave her for that car.

My response was "if you looked that good after 2 kids and 36 years of marriage wouldn't you"  ? 

She said "your leaving me for a Torpedo? I always wondered about you" .... lol 

Now ya see why we have been married 36 years.

Postwar, possibly an Aston Martin DB4.  Not cheap at a 1963 price of about  $11,000.00. You could buy 2 small block Cobra's for that amount. By the early 1970's , used DB 4's were quite a bit cheaper than used Cobra's. That's when I really became aware of Aston's as a good bang for the buck car.

Along with Maserati 3500 , Sebring  etc.  Just within my reach as a young man, tried a few times but never quite landed a deal. Priced well out of reach these days.

In those days I was much more of a MGA. TR 250,  Bug Eye Sprite guy. But I admired the GT's. Had a friend who dabbled in run down Maser's. They were dirt cheap if they had mechanical problems. I also had a non GT 1966 Mustang fastback in 1976. But it didn't hold up

in comparison to a good friends 1965 GT, all these years later he still owns it.  Mine went a friend to become a B sedan track car decades ago. He took it to roughly GT 350 spec and did reasonably well with it. Later replaced with a TA series raced 1970 Boss 302. 

Now in my 60's I could really appreciate the  creature comforts of a 1960's GT. The only one I have these days is a very rough Lotus Cortina Mk 1 project. Perhaps I will have a road worthy GT for when I turn 70, but I better get cracking. It's a real mess. At least it is quite a bit smaller , lighter than a Mustang.

But that same 1960's Ford unit body construction , complete with many rust traps.

Lots of cool , damp Spring and Fall days around here when a GT would be welcome.  The  affordable  alternate these days would be a 1965 - 66 Mustang GT. Back in about 1975 they were all about the same price around here.

Greg

aston-martin-db4-series-4-1-thumb-960xauto-83295.jpg

22444198062daff68cacdc3eb1624cab5e57627e.jpg

fl0116-230159_3@2x.jpg

lotus-cortina-silverstone-auctions_01-400.jpg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

23 hours ago, edinmass said:

Too easy............

SJN Duesenberg chassis, short wheelbase, from 1936.

Body- one off design by Rollston, true roadster, with a crazy laid back windshield. Chrome wire wheels with wheel disks, and a bunch of other one off details. Conservative but smart styling.

Ed,  When you order the SJN, please pick a dark colour.  I would be happy to pick it up at the factory and deliver it to you......free of charge (I'll even pay for the gas).

• Like 1

1961 Pontiac Ventura, Coronado Red, bucket seats, 425a engine, 4 speed, 3.43 Saf-T-Trac, pb/ps, factory air, driver and passenger side standard rear view mirrors, rear antenna, 8 lug wheels with white walls

red 61 6.jpg

6 hours ago, JD in CA said:

1963 Split Window Coupe Corvette in Silver Blue, with red interior, fuelie, four speed, with power brakes, steering and windows.

64341EBD-5BE9-4897-BB45-C4E18FB61FD3.jpeg

Not being a Corvette guy at all, this would be the only year I would have.

Not being a Corvette guy I find any of the regular drum brake cars somewhat unappealing. The big brake cars seem to go for much more $ than I could ever spend. It really only seems to make sense 

to me that if you  have a Corvette that you are going to drive it like a sports car.

Greg

On 7/12/2020 at 1:55 PM, Pfeil said:

PORSCHE 904 H8

$1,6 Million Porsche 904 Carrera GTS - Great Engine Noise! - YouTube

Wonderful cars, but I sure would not want to pay for an engine rebuild these days. They make my Aston Martin fantasy look like a Kia in comparison.

For a fraction of the price of a 904 I would probably chose a Chevron, a B8 compares very favorably to a 904. In regards to price, performance , and maintainability.

Just as eligible for any historic event you would think of. But built to be campaigned by privateer's not a dedicated team.

Usually 1600 BMW power, capable but vastly cheaper than a 4 cam.

Greg

download (4).jpg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Been thinking about this since began, is interesting how many of the post war cars I had when young and stupid & were just used cars (ps 63 fuelie has a different fender tag, 65 was last year of FI and first for disk brakes plus the large shaft Muncie). Still have the cowl key for a flat floor Jag I rolled.

But one car has always stayed in my mind that probably never existed: a Facel Vega vert, with Hemi, Pont-a-moisson, AC, and disk brakes. Lotsa gauges & switches even before popular.

jerome-wassenaar_facel-vega_jb_005.jpg