Your car(s) name

My Trans Am doesnt really have an 'official' name, when I talk about it with my grandson we call it the 'hot rod'. During the resto process my wife called it 'the p.o.s. in the garage', now she calls it 'the tin can of death'. She has named her mustang 'baby'.

One of my work trucks is an Expedition. When my grandson was younger he couldnt say that and called it 'ex-magician'. That name has stuck as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our Pierce Arrow is usually just "The Pierce" or "Grandpa's Car" which works both ways since it did belong to my grandfather and my daughter knows it as belonging to my Dad, her Grandfather.

As for the Rickenbacker, it is often referred to as "The Rick".

I have a modern Plug-In Hybrid that has been dubbed "Evie" as in EV.

My parents always had appropriate names for their cars.   My mother's 53 Cadillac Fleetwood was "Monstro", due to it's size/  My father's 54 Metropolitan Conv. was "Tomato Soup" because of the color.    I've hadso many cars that formal names just don;t roll of the tongue.

We called all the the 34 Fords, "The 34",   We call the 35 Buick, "The Buick".   Our 66 VW  is "The Roadbug" because we towed it behind our

motor home called "The Roadhouse"..   The 35 Ford Pickup is the "Boo Truck" because it came with Boo Bros. painted in the doors.  

Our neighbor names her cats by the numbers,  1, 2, 3, 4,. up to 9, then starts over/

s

My first model T speedster (a 1920) fifty years ago I named "Jennifer", a reference to the Curtis Jenny aircraft of a couple years earlier (that car felt like it could FLY!). Several years later I had to sell the car to pay some of the kids' hospital bills. Never named another car.

Edited by wayne sheldon
Additional thought. (see edit history)

When we began naming cars regularly for me it was was out of self defense, because to do otherwise risked the sometimes regrettable, reality, that the better half has already named it something awful. What started out as an imperative has turned into a cooperative effort that we both enjoy. There is no time frame for the exercise and we always discus our choices. We also give each suggestion time to percolate before we say ye or nay.

Mary is a car person and together we own a fair number of cars. We know all the cars and use their name(s) as shortcut and at times a code when speaking. Having indicated the personal aspect of the process finding a name that resonates with the car(s) fan base is always a plus. There are just so many ways to characterize a car that the process defies description. It's fun, personal, and should be something an owner enjoys doing, but it's not for everyone. 

• Like 2

My ratty , and mostly  British racing green MGA { quite a few primer patches } was named   " the road lizard " decades ago by a fellow MGA owning friend.  We still refer to it with that name 35 years later. I have owned it since 1977. I even have a toy lizard glued to the top of the cowl just inside the windshield.

My wife's orange Ranger pickup is  "the pumpkin ", mostly after cinderella's coach. Her red 1999 Mustang convert is" Lucy " after Lucille Ball. I love Lucy was my wifes favorite TV show growing up.

My 1966 Mercury 1/2 ton is " primer truck " due to the fact that for the 35 years I have owned it has always sported red primer paint.

Not very original I am afraid.

We usually define our cars by a short description, as in "the white truck", the roadster", etc. After moving over here to Hawaii, due to some of the guys on the club "funning" with me, our two oldies now have names. The 63 Mini is "Pooter"... ever heard a Mini with a Cherry Bomb muffler ?, lol... and the black Studebaker President got named "Obama" by one of the guys..... Not a political thing here, but I am going to paint it, ha ha ! ( Just to two-tone it like some of them were ) My Momma always called their cars "Betsy" Studebakers, Toyotas, Nissans, Chevys, it didn't matter... no idea why

• Like 1

This topic comes up on guitar websites. Some people name their guitars, something I think is ludicrous, but I would never have told B.B. King that he was crazy to call his guitar Lucille. Likewise, I never would have told Albert King that naming his Flying V Lucy was a bad idea. To each his own.

I have called a few of my cars expletives I wouldn't use here. 

Edited by DrumBob (see edit history)

My first '64 Falcon Sprint that I had before i got married was christened, " That Damn Car" by my mother and eventually by my (future) wife.  Whenever i was late for a date my (future) wife would call and ask why I was late, my mother, who answered the phone in those pre-cell phone days, would sigh and begin, " That damn car......"
My '82 Mercedes 300 SD ( "S" class with the diesel engine) was named "Wotan".  For anyone who is not familiar with the characters in Wagner's Ring cycle series of 4 operas ( I mean how many people can be THAT ignorant???  :))--Wotan was the king of all the gods.  All Mercedes cards were "gods" and the S class were the kings of all the Mercedes.

Well, obviously I'm crazy. The '46 was named Rusty by a previous owner, and has been known by that name by pretty much all that know me (and they identify me with the truck). My daughter was small around 18 months old when I bought it, and I would tell her nighttime stories from the viewpoint of the "twuck" which she loved. Around the time she turned 4 or so, "Rusty" got a facebook page so she could see , and we could share pics of her and my adventures in the old truck. I don't update it much anymore, but the page has followers from all over the world. Go figure. LOL

The '52, I'll take the hit on it- I named it after the old farmer I bought it from. Again- no one that knows me asks about "the  '52" , they all ask about "how is Sam's restoration going?" The fb page on it has worldwide followers too.

Not really gotten attached enough to much of my other vehicles to name them. If they actually get a name, it's a pretty good bet they are in my "keep forever and never sell" file.

At one shop where I used to work, there was a 70s Corvette that came in for service now and then. It had a blue metallic paint job that looked about 1/8" thick, and had died. You know what happens when acrylic enamel dies and it gets so flat even kerosene wont make it shine? Never mind wax. It was like that. It had runs and fisheyes all over the place. You could see through the fisheyes all the way to the Bondo. The pink color of the Bondo was unmistakable. What was Bondo even doing on a fiberglass car? I have no idea. I would expect fiberglass to break rather than dent. To this day it remains the worst paint job I have ever seen. My co-workers and I called that one the "Maaco Shark".

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I don't know why it bothers me so much, but I abhor the practice of naming inanimate objects, especially cars.

Is your internet moniker/handel a referance to a Hudson car?

3 hours ago, JACK M said:

It depends if I am talking to it or about it.

I have a bad habit of making running commentary while I am by myself.

Embarrassing on occasion.

My kids think I am going off the deep end.

When I was on the fire department, I mainly could be found at the pump. I’ve been through six different chief in my time. All of the think I’m crazy because I would talk to the truck as if was a woman. She was either my sweetheart or the whore if things weren’t going right. In the end they were all my sweetheart. Mike 

• Haha 1

The Queen Mary

Even with the "F41" - Firm Ride & Handling Package, I could sense waves breaking over the bow in heavy seas (aka: certain roads)...!  This stopped once I installed the KYB "Gas Adjust" front shocks...

...but for 28 years she was always "The Queen Mary" or simply "The Ship"...!

Paul

1984 Oldsmobile Toronado / Custom ordered and owned for 28 years & 200,000 miles...

Restoration Complete 01.jpg

Restoration Complete 03.jpg

Edited by pfloro (see edit history)
  • Like 1