What Is The Longest You Have Waited On A Part?

TAKerry

The subject was brought up in another thread, got me to thinking about parts supply. My car is 1970's vintage and most parts are readily available within about 3 different catalogues at any given time. However I was looking for door panels last Nov. and the delivery date was 7 to 8 months. I was lucky and found the last available pair from one supplier though. I just placed an order for exhaust manifolds, they are currently being made and wont be shipped until Oct. The guy building my motor has had it for 20 months now. Dash bezel has been to the refinisher for 1 year now. I am in no hurry but the longer things drag on the less motivation I have.

I can only imagine the frustration of finding parts for a pre war car of limited production.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

The subject was brought up in another thread, got me to thinking about parts supply. My car is 1970's vintage and most parts are readily available within about 3 different catalogues at any given time. However I was looking for door panels last Nov. and the delivery date was 7 to 8 months. I was lucky and found the last available pair from one supplier though. I just placed an order for exhaust manifolds, they are currently being made and wont be shipped until Oct. The guy building my motor has had it for 20 months now. Dash bezel has been to the refinisher for 1 year now. I am in no hurry but the longer things drag on the less motivation I have.

I can only imagine the frustration of finding parts for a pre war car of limited production.

try 1928 Chrysler 72 convertible coupe plus its right hand drive

some parts near impossible to find 

• Like 3

25 years and counting...

Initially promised to receive in 6-8 weeks after personally handing requested advance cash payment in full to the owner of a specialty business in PNW of US, catering to upholstery of antique/classic/vintage cars, but after 2+ years of waiting, countless calls, excuses, etc and not even a refund, I sort of gave up on the crooked SOB who's still in business and probably still defrauding individuals around the world on daily bases.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I have caught myself at flea markets about to buy a part that I have been searching for for years, only to realize I sold the car it fits several years earlier.

Now, THAT is an answer I really like! For the life of me, I cannot recall what it was, However, I recall doing that myself once. It was probably for one of my early Studebakers.

The question really needs to be broken into three or more sections. Custom ordered work. Whether upholstery or machine shop, wait times often go into several years.

Reproduction runs of what we would like to be off-the-shelf parts can often take several months, and sometimes a very disappointing couple years.

Original parts of rare or unusual cars, on the other hand, anything is possible. 

The 1927 Paige 6-45 sedan my dad bought to be the great family project when I was fifteen is an example. The car got taken apart, and then so buried in his garage it couldn't be gotten to to be worked on. I moved on to other cars I bought, restored and drove several. However, I kept looking for the pieces for the Paige. The car had been taken out of service in 1948 because the original owner messed up the clutch adjustment, and then stripped the cluster gear in the transmission. Turned out, Warner Gear Company was going through a transition at the time, and made a few slightly defective transmissions for a number of cars. The specific transmission in the Paige was also used in about a half dozen other cars, with minor variations (mostly external, hand brake, shift tower or lever, etc.).  The  best known automobile using that series transmission, was a couple models of Auburn. Guess who the people were that scrounged up all the transmissions they could get their hands onto. 

For years, I ran wanted ads in Hemmings and several other hobby magazines. I got a hundred responses! From Auburn owners wanting any leads I didn't want. I actually did get one (exactly ONE!) response from someone that had a NOS transmission available, for a price. He wanted bids, opening bid about half what a completely restored car would likely sell for at the time. Transmission to sold to highest bidder, period. I didn't have enough money to even submit a bid at that time.

It took twenty years, hundreds of swap meets. Some little local club had a swap meet for their members. About thirty sellers, wouldn't expect to find anything of much value. But I happened to be driving by, so what the heck. And there it was. A transmission, out of a Jordan, for about twenty bucks. Oh yeah I bought it! Every piece inside my Paige transmission that was damaged? Was nearly flawless in the Jordan transmission! My Paige has a complete driveline!

By the way. Anybody have a rear door inside window trim steel for this car? I haven't found one yet.

• Like 4

Pre Covid shipping from overseas you works typically get things from the US in about 2 weeks after ordering. These days it’s more random, I’ve had stuff sitting at USPS for months before it makes it to Australia 

• Like 1

I am still waiting for a set of 1941 Buick “elephant ears” and hardware from one of our forum members. It was to be sent to me more than 3 years ago. I guess I am hoping for either a miracle for the package to show up, or for the seller to develop some integrity. Neither has happened yet.

It took me about 30 years to find the window sill for my coupe. I got tired of looking and decided to make a pair out of oak. THEN I found one online in a burned out wreck of a '31 DB coupe. Anyone need a pair of wooden window sills?

Picture 14195.jpg

post-37352-143137995986.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The water pump for my Rickenbacker went from rebuilder to rebuilder for about 2 years before I sent it to The Flying Dutchman and he was able to rebuild it.

He did a fine job, as well.

Back in the 70's, while on a tour, the gas cap was stolen from the Rickenbacker while we were eating at a restaurant.

I have never seen another one for sale.

2 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I have caught myself at flea markets about to buy a part that I have been searching for for years, only to realize I sold the car it fits several years earlier.

I have purchased parts for car buddies at swap meets; only to find out their car was sold or not the correct model & year.  Now I phone them if I see something they might need, take measurements, and/or send photos and ask what they are willing to pay.

It took me 30 years to find a diff and a body for my 1926 Chrysler G70 and its been another 8 years to get started on it. 

Also been looking 15 years for rear doors and a rear body section for my 26 Nash adv 6 tourer, still looking.

However, I was contacted by a guy in new Zealand who has been looking for parts for 57 years for a rare car, can't remember the name of the vehicle.

As for shipping, I'm still waiting on a parcel from Sydney Australia posted 7 years ago, I've given it up for lost. another package took 33 months  sent express, expedited mail from Michigan to Zimbabwe. The parcel was posted 2 days before 9/11 and got delayed due to the ban on flights just after the terrorist attacks. I have another parcel recently took 10 months, but it arrived so all good.

• Like 2

I looked for 37 years before finding a pair of 1932 Packard 900 specific exterior horns.  Being in the resto biz you can imagine how many flea markets I perused in 37 years.  Finally found a pair in an online auction and bought them for $400.  I would happily have paid $1500 or more. As my Dad said "If at first you don't succeed try and try again but don't be a damned fool about it".

• Like 1

Not waiting for a part, but waiting for a ride on a part I gave a "friend" (???) about 25 or more years ago. It was a minty front seat cushion for a 1932 Franklin Airman; fellow needed one, so my "price " was a ride in the car it would be fitted to when he would have it on the road and at the Franklin Club annual meet. It never happened, he has a lot of parts and cars that are lost in a "black hole" in West Virginia. I will never ever give anyone a part after that experience , learned my lesson. But he still has lots of smiles for everyone when he sees them...................................

• Like 2

Waiting for my 700/19 tires from last year and still waiting. Told last week they have know idea when they will have them in stock. Luckily I still have one spare left. 

One member here has offered tires if ever needed. That is a greatly appreciated offer.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Still waiting on a carburetor I sent out to be rebuilt in February. Supply shortages, Backlog, health issues, and other reasons have been given as to why my car is missing a whole car season for a carburetor rebuild. 

On 8/23/2022 at 7:00 PM, zepher said:

The water pump for my Rickenbacker went from rebuilder to rebuilder for about 2 years before I sent it to The Flying Dutchman and he was able to rebuild it.

He did a fine job, as well.

Back in the 70's, while on a tour, the gas cap was stolen from the Rickenbacker while we were eating at a restaurant.

I have never seen another one for sale.

Man, what is it with stealing gas caps! This happens all to often. My Nash has a incorrect replacement and when I get a correct one I'm going to chain that sucker on there.

• Like 1

Never waited more the 2 weeks from a dealer( Ever) in over 45 years.

No more then 10 or 12 days from a private person once they get the funds.

I don't order parts on back order.

Not receiving anything is another story....

I will conced I ordered a group 2 ,6 volt battery from a local "Battery Bulbs plus". 

They said special order...maybe a week?.

2 weeks later I called...Oh thats a special order...next week.

Next day I went to a O'Rielly's in the next town...( I have a grudge against the one in my town)

"The supply truck was coming down from Boston(to Connecticut) next day and that battery can be on the truck" the clerk said.

No money down.

Next day I had a group 2 ,6 volt battery at 3:30 pm with a fresh date sticker only 30 days old.

Thats near 2 months ago.

Never heard from " Battery Plus" yet.

I have not bothered to cancel the order...

On 8/23/2022 at 9:02 PM, TAKerry said:

How's this for service ordered pan gasket set for my 1928 Chrysler 72

on the evening of 28/ august from olsons gaskets usa

received them here in the uk 2/September morning

I call that service     well done olsons 

50 dollars postage was more than the cost of the gaskets 

• Like 2

Yes, transportation of parts, gaskets, literature is to be reckoned with - post office, delivery service, dealing with customs - going and or coming.

BUT each year at Hershey when I have stuff out for sale i get the "do bedda" crowd who never consider that 1) they are seeing all sides and condition in person of what is there, 2) I pay the state sales tax, 3) there is no shipping charge as I drive it the 4 hours to get it there. Yet there are unhappy people who can't own the 80+ year old part etc for THEIR value/price. I wonder how they feel about paying for the gasoline it takes to fill the tank on their car to drive around - make an offer? Same for food, make and offer?

• Thanks 1

Some good and amusing stories on here , my addition is true and happened 3 years ago 

I bought a windscreen and frame  for my healey from a healey enthusiast in Michigan and was collected by Fed ex , but due to mix up on use of Labels , went to Cincinnati where it stayed , I was informed by my Uk agent there was a problem  and both the seller and I repeatedly contacted Fed Ex and eventually gave up and was in communication with insurers who were being difficult about evidence and paperwork . This dragged on for 8 months , then one day I was contacted by my agent who said would I be home tomorrow as they wished to arrange delivery .

i now have item but unfortunately haven’t reached fitting stage in restoration.

Moral have faith 😊

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

Yes, transportation of parts, gaskets, literature is to be reckoned with - post office, delivery service, dealing with customs - going and or coming.

BUT each year at Hershey when I have stuff out for sale i get the "do bedda" crowd who never consider that 1) they are seeing all sides and condition in person of what is there, 2) I pay the state sales tax, 3) there is no shipping charge as I drive it the 4 hours to get it there. Yet there are unhappy people who can't own the 80+ year old part etc for THEIR value/price. I wonder how they feel about paying for the gasoline it takes to fill the tank on their car to drive around - make an offer? Same for food, make and offer?

all good points walt g

On the opposite end of the spectrum, when I was restoring my 77 trans am, I took one of my snowflake wheels to a local body shop that had a wheel vendor coming that day to take a look and see if he could fix them. I only dropped one off just to see if it was even repairable, it was REALLY bad! Shop called and asked if I could get the other 3 there asap, luckily I was nearby and dropped them off. Wheel guy would not give me a price, said it depended on how much work they got into. I gave them a not to exceed price of $200 per wheel. Dropped them off Monday at 11 am. The NEXT day, Tuesday about 2 in the afternoon I got a call, the wheels were done and ready to be picked up!! Final cost was $120 a wheel and they were at least as good or better than new.

• Like 7

OK, had to reply to this.

Sometime in the late eighties I ordered a set of knobs for a Marantz AM/FM stereo cassette player that went from being installed in a 1967 Pontiac Parisienne to a 1982 Mitsubishi L300 eight seat wagon to a 1964 Buick Skylark. Only the Fast Forward button was missing but you had to buy a full set of knobs. OK no big deal.

The place I ordered them from had to special order them in as they never had stock. And as I was leaving the counter person said “Oh, by the way, we only ring you once!”

After all this time, I’m still waiting on their one phone call. In the meantime I improvised and made a new one from aluminium and painted it black to match. Sold it at a Swapmeet several years ago, still with the improvised button.

Go figure! 
Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1

I wheel n deal in classic Japanese motorcycles, so I buy lots of bits and I have seen both extremes.

A throttle cable from UK to Queensland AU was going on to six months so I contacted my seller who immediately sent another and it arrives two weeks later.

Lo and behold ... 3 months later the first item arrived.

I've purchased parts from Tasmania to Queensland online that have arrived in 24 hours!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fleetwood Meadow said:

I gave the rebuilder my engine from my Cadillac in March, 2021. I went up there last week and took this picture of my parts still sitting where I left them in March. His excuse is always “we’re waiting on parts.” I don’t know..

8C4F5130-F7BC-479E-B55F-DB09EA958C15.jpeg

I have you beat on this one. I dropped the motor for my 79 trans am off to the builder on Jan 5, 2020. It was slightly worse looking than this pic. Nothing but a bare block and many loose parts. I am STILL waiting for its return.  I spoke with the guy about a month ago and he said it was about 2 weeks from being done, LOL.

On 9/4/2022 at 5:38 PM, AutoMechanic said:

Waited three months on parts for my classic Volkswagen. When I needed the parts earlier cause now I have no time to work on them. Might try tomorrow though since I’m off and getting paid for it lol. 

What kind of parts. BTW what is a classic VW?