thick steak...... California Cab

So it is with cars.......

woodie wagon.....beach boys

1970 Charger..... southern rock

Etype Jag........Beetles

Packard 740 .......Glenn Miller Orchestra 

21 window VW bus......the Dead/Dylan

60’s era pickup......Hank Williams jr

tri five Chevy...........?????  Elvis????

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm huge Pink Floyd and LittleFeat fan and have an extensive collection of them, lots of swing music, lots of blues, but when I really want a boost i throw on Mountains' 1972 NY Eve recording at the Filmore East and crank it up starting with 'Don't look Around' thru a set of 12" Marantz in front with Bose 666 in the rear.  

It takes powerful music to build powerful cars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ojh said:

I'm huge Pink Floyd and LittleFeat fan and have an extensive collection of them, lots of swing music, lots of blues, but when I really want a boost i throw on Mountains' 1972 NY Eve recording at the Filmore East and crank it up starting with 'Don't look Around' thru a set of 12" Marantz in front with Bose 666 in the rear.  

It takes powerful music to build powerful cars.

Love me some LittleFeet. 
“I’ve been from Tucson to tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah......

• Like 2

In the 1970s, I had a roommate who loved to tell our numerous drunk and druggy friends that every time he heard Little Feat's "Fat Man In the Bathtub", he would think of me.  This usually elicited hearty bursts of laughter from everyone present.  I learned how to take and dish out a lot of ribbing in those halcyon days.

My tastes span the 100 years of recorded music and bounce between every era..

Often I look for more forgotten or less remembered tunes to listen to and latey music that I recall hearing on the radio years ago that recalls a certain memory ,place ,time,event and people.

I recently rediscovered and  turned on some friends to 

"Washing Sqaure"instrumental by the Village Stompers in the early 60s, "Wheel of Fortune" by Kay Star in the 50s,and a most forgettable but fun song,

"Studeabaker" by David Liska 1975/6.

Older or new.

If it has a melody,is catchy

a relatable lyric and has a beat,

and you can dance to it..

I'll most likey like it..

Who can forget "Commander Cody" and the lost Planet Airman's

Hot Rod Lincoln. We wore out that 45.

It prompted me to put a 40 Cadillac flatty in a battered Model A coupe...

• Like 2

I have this playing on my computer now

https://www.radio.net/s/radioaddictive50s

A nice mix of lots of 50's songs you never hear with a few you normally do and lots of alternative versions to songs you are used to.

Out in the garage XM radio is currently set to Willies Roadhouse,  but does drift occassionally to the 40's and sometimes the 50's. (always bummed they don't play Jan and Dean or the Beach boys on the 50's station but other songs from 1964 seem to find their way there.  Don't care as much for the 60's station so I miss out on some of the tunes I really like from their early years.

Have my Seeburg M100C  Jukebox loaded up that I use once in a great while here in the house with Beach Boys, Robert Mitchum and the ballad of Thunder Road, along with some Sam Cooke, Connie Francis, the 5 Satins, Ben E King, The Righteous Brothers, you get the idea.

At night I drift around Youtube and watch videos of performers. Some great unknown Musicians out there.  Recently found Gov't Mule (great take on Etta James I'd rather go blind), Jay Howie (does some awesome bluesy covers of Jimmie Hendrix and the Allman Brothers to name a few), Been watching a bunch of Buddy Brown(which speaks for some of us these days) in a nice light hearted manner.  Dad was. Truck driver so I watch a few videos now and then of trucking songs in part to look at all the decked out rigs.  So it's all over the board but mostly older stuff with a country or Bluesy/ rock feel. 

30's-40's Jazz is always good when working on Victoria.  I guess it depends as much on the car as my mood that day. 

So when you stop by who knows what will be on.  If you can play, I'll whip out a few guitars and we'll see if we can come up with something.  I'll warn you ahead of time though, I'm really bad and not in a good way. ;)  Might even let you hear an original but remember once you hear it you'll be stuck with it. 

• Like 3

Pandora's Cajun Back Porch channel really pumps me up when I have to work on a car.

When I have to work on something particularly annoying, I switch to smooth jazz.

John Byrd - love the Heathkit picture. Haven't thought of Heathkit in 10 years. Interresting stuff, slightly overpriced. I could never assemble anything correctly.

Edited by RansomEli
spelling error (see edit history)

For those who might still have AM radio, especially in the car, music is scarce. Depending on location, at night try 740 out of Ontario, now called Boomer Radio, they play decades of music at night, then there is the Midnight Blue at 12. If into real country, WSM is still on 650. Eddie Stubs has retired, though. I started listening to him on WAMU in DC, his was a syndicated broadcast. Still is the Grand Ole Opry station.

I have news radio playing in sheds. Squirrels finally got used to it, so up went the hardware cloth....😁

Music in the shop is more of a mood thing to me. Different styles of music, to match the mood. I listen to just about every type of music. A lot of wisdom in some of those song lyrics. Musicians, just like all artists, have been used and taken advantage of. Pair enough songs together, and an amazing tale can be told.

• Like 3

Gotta love clear-channel high-powered AM radio at night! Farthest away I've picked up here on the VA/NC border are WBZ Boston, WGN Chicago, CFZM Toronto and WSB Atlanta. And dozens more in between!

The daily driver Fords' radios have good AM sections as does my 1963 transistor Zenith TransOceanic. Can listen to a lot of other worlds on those, though the TO will never live in the garage! I have some cheap Walmart special AM-FM-CD in there...

XM had some good DJ's they terminated when sirius took them over.  I remember Matt the Katt on the 50's station.  He was always pulling up some old Rhythm and Blues stuff and having people judge which was better the pop version or the original.  

I like Dj's that expose you to a wider range of music from the era, than just the top 40 they play over and over on alot of stations. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Often, it is Jimmie Rodgers, the original yodeling cowboy singer that died in 1933 from a long battle with tuberculosis. That he knew he was dying is likely part of why so much of his singing had so much feeling to it. Jimmie Rodgers (not to be confused with the later singer of the same name!) was the singer that Hank Williams and Slim Whitman tried to sound like.

Some times I listen to 1920s jazz and popular music. It has such a 'roaring' life to it, and is one of the basis for modern music from the 1930s until through the 1970s. About a hundred of the 1920's most popular songs still show up almost every day as background music on tv shows and commercials. That is because the music of those days tended to communicate a 'feeling'. And to this day? It still works!

Other times? (And often!) It is classical I listen to! Mostly better known works of the many great composers, including opera! Love Puccini and Verdi!

And he was an antique car guy...course, it wasn't antique at the time 😉

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsWd6cXAeKmLRxuRaxAcT

You might like Sourdough Slim (http://www.sourdoughslim.com/) - he sings the old cowboy/swing songs and is a pretty good yodeler.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)

I’m a bit strange in that I actually listen to the old radio shows on XM.  Channel 148.  I do listen to music (20’s-early 90’s) but mostly the radio shows.  Fibber McGee & Molly, Suspense, Yours Truly Johnny Dollar, etc.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flivverking said:

Who can forget "Commander Cody" and the lost Planet Airman's

Hot Rod Lincoln.

One of my favorites, saw him live several years ago, small venue where half of the bar took a break in the alley out back  between sets. The Commander joined in.

Mostly blues here with some rockabilly.

Outlaw Country/Southern Rock, Old time Rock-N-roll, Rockabilly, Blues, Bluegrass. Anything with some drive to keep me motivated. Waylon Jennings, Hank Jr., Travis Tritt, Marty Stuart, Skynard, Junior Brown, Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, Bill Haley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Po Ramblin Boys............"I'm gonna build me a bar in the back of the car and drive myself to drinkin'".

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TAKerry said:

On a side note at the risk of offending some,  'Why does every DJ at car shows/cruises insist on playing music form the 50's and beach music?  I love some Dick Dale but would like to hear something different at least once. AND as much as I love Skynyrd, it seems every motorcycle rally I have ever been to gravitates toward Southern Rock. I just dont get it!!!

AMEN! 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 5:14 AM, TAKerry said:

On a side note at the risk of offending some,  'Why does every DJ at car shows/cruises insist on playing music form the 50's and beach music?  I love some Dick Dale but would like to hear something different at least once. AND as much as I love Skynyrd, it seems every motorcycle rally I have ever been to gravitates toward Southern Rock. I just dont get it!!!

My Dad started surfing in 1927, my mom in 1934, my sister in 1940 and Ten years later when I was born into the beach life I learned to swim before I could walk and riding waves at the age of five. At that time the surfing world was the size of a BB. When bands like the beach boys came along it ruined our paradise forever. On a big day at Malibu in 1958, ten guys in the lineup was a crowd, in 1962 well over 250 guys in the lineup was normal and out of control.

Here are few favorites of surfers before all the surf craze want-a-be people came along. I play them in the shop working on cars too.

SURF MUSIC

Les Baxter - Tropicando - YouTube

"Like Young Andre Previn - YouTube

Henry Mancini - "A Cool Shade of Blue" - Original Stereo LP ...

Dave Brubeck - Take Five - YouTube

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

14 hours ago, John Bloom said:

Love me some LittleFeet. 
“I’ve been from Tucson to tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah......

Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
Driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed😁

12 hours ago, rocketraider said:

CFZM Toronto

Yes, Zoomer Radio on 740. I know, I typed Boomer in my earlier post.

12 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Can listen to a lot of other worlds on those, though the TO will never live in the garage! I have some cheap Walmart special AM-FM-CD in there...

Yes, my Transoceanics will not live in the garage either. To get over the noise of tools, I use my Onkyo system from about 1979! 😉

I bought it from a neighbor when I needed a "new" system in the collision repair shop. I added a building and left the tube receiver in the older shop. New (to me, was about 70 year old building...) shop was 6000 sq ft, needed more power..... I had a city Policeman walk in about midnight with a noise complaint. Yes officer, I will turn it down.....😆

Oh the stories of running an inner city collision shop with residential neighbors..... And other city characters....😲

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 9:17 PM, 0001 said:

Johnny, Willie, Waylon, Merle, Hank Jr., etc. You know, real country before the singers started wearing their sisters bedazzled skinny jeans.

Sorry 'ole friend but you forgot to add the "POSSOM "

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Pfeil said:

My Dad started surfing in 1927, my mom in 1934, my sister in 1940 and Ten years later when I was born into the beach life I learned so swim before I could walk and riding waves at the age of five. At that time the surfing world was the size of a BB. When bands like the beach boys came along it ruined our paradise forever. On a big day at Malibu in 1958, ten guys in the lineup was a crowd, in 1962 well over 250 guys in the lineup was normal and out of control.

Here are few favorites of surfers before all the surf craze want-a-be people came along. I play them in the shop working on cars too.

SURF MUSIC

Les Baxter - Tropicando - YouTube

"Like Young Andre Previn - YouTube

Henry Mancini - "A Cool Shade of Blue" - Original Stereo LP ...

Dave Brubeck - Take Five - YouTube

Thats some serious surfing history.  Being a bit inland (but not too far) I have never surfed but I do love going to the beach. I am the youngest of 5, my siblings are up to 10 yrs older. My music taste was inherited from them. I never liked or listened to beach music. I grew up with Alice Cooper, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and all of the folk, folk rock from the 60's. Only later in life, through my son of all people did I discover Dick Dale and started to listen to the beach boys. I even listen to disco now!!!

There was an auction on TCM a year or so ago that sold a lot of personal items from Duke ??? Cant remember let alone spell his last name, but Im sure you know who I am talking about.

• Like 1

Pfiel would know best but I always heard real surfers hated the beach boys and "pop surf music".  I am a Beach Boys fan, but have kind of burned out on them, maybe over exposure from car meets.  Did go to a BB concert years ago, they put on a good show.

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Thats some serious surfing history.  Being a bit inland (but not too far) I have never surfed but I do love going to the beach. I am the youngest of 5, my siblings are up to 10 yrs older. My music taste was inherited from them. I never liked or listened to beach music. I grew up with Alice Cooper, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and all of the folk, folk rock from the 60's. Only later in life, through my son of all people did I discover Dick Dale and started to listen to the beach boys. I even listen to disco now!!!

There was an auction on TCM a year or so ago that sold a lot of personal items from Duke ??? Cant remember let alone spell his last name, but Im sure you know who I am talking about.

That would be Duke Kahanamoku. The Duke was one of the fathers of the modern surfing era, a Olympic swimmer, lifeguard, instructor, Policeman, actor in many Hollywood films in the 30-40's and a great friend of Johnny Weissmuller that was also a Olympic swimmer and Hollywood actor ( Tarzan ). My Dad knew them as well because they all belonged to the Los Angles athletic club. My dad also knew other actors that surfed like James Arness ( Gunsmoke ) who surfed Malibu a lot in the 50's-60's. James Arness's son Rolf was the 1970 World Surfing champion.

But back to the surfers of that era and their music just click onto those you tube selections I posted earlier to hear a sample of what we listened to which was mainly jazz that was refined by Brubeck, Mancini, Nelson Riddle etc., These guys came out of the Big Band Era and the musicians they used came out of that era too and they became what we know today as SCESSION musicians. Very talented and polished professionals.

When I was young ( 5-13 years old)  there were plenty of Luau's to go to with our hip parents and that was the surf music we listened to.

The Beach Boys? Heck, only Dennis Wilson surfed-and he didn't do it very long or very well. Us beach rats called them flat landers because they lived in Hawthorne Ca. 8 miles from the beach.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Pfiel would know best but I always heard real surfers hated the beach boys and "pop surf music".  I am a Beach Boys fan, but have kind of burned out on them, maybe over exposure from car meets.  Did go to a BB concert years ago, they put on a good show.

Yes we did. If you take; Henry Mancini - "A Cool Shade of Blue" - Original Stereo LP ... which is a great song that our friend and surfing pal Bruce Brown used in the surf film " Surfing Hollow Days" with the opening shots of the Queen of the coast ( Rincon Point Santa Barbara) you hear real surfing music that really goes with the guys riding in the film.

Compare that music to " Surfin U.S.A. and you will see what I mean. 

• Like 1

I use Spotify on my smart phone. I set up my own set lists. A simple bluetooth amp connected to my cell phone. 50W per side stereo cranks out whatever I like. Simple. Easy. Effective. I go back to the 50's and up to the most modern music that I like. From Patsy Cline to Death Punch. I can mix up whatever I want to hear. It's fantastic. I like rock and some country. Mosty older outlaw Waylon period country. J Cash. Beach Boys. Van Halen. Even Glen Miller sometimes, when I am "In The Mood". Sure melts away any stress after a week of earning a living.  Crazy how small and simple a system can be. You can round up speakers at a thrift store for little. Blue tooth amps are decent and low priced. My blue tooth system is seen here.

Shop Stereo.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/12/2021 at 6:06 PM, BobinVirginia said:

For me tonight it’s Van Halen 1984. 
What do you guys favor while wrenching? 

Doo-Wop (when playing with '54 Caddy, or '65 Corvair),

'30 & '40s Big Band (working on '30 Packard, '37 Buick, '41 Cadillac),

Barber Shop (when tinkering with Brass Era),

Doc Severinsen Stage Band, Harry James, Dave Brubeck, Beach Boys, Surfing, Route-66 (around the red Corvette)

• Like 1

When I saw this thread I automatically thought of Bob Dylan's " Leopardskin Pill box Hat" when he says that I see you got a new boyfriend, I've never seen him before. I saw you making love to him you forgot to close the garage door. " Now I can't get that out of my head.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Buick35 said:

When I saw this thread I automatically thought of Bob Dylan's " Leopardskin Pill box Hat" when he says that I see you got a new boyfriend, I've never seen him before. I saw you making love to him you forgot to close the garage door. " Now I can't get that out of my head.

On a similar note, What about Simon and Garfunkel's Cecilia?? Pushing the envelope.

Verse; Making love in the afternoon with Cecilia
Up in my bedroom (making love)

I got up to wash my face
When I come back to bed
Someone's taken my place

Now I know why my parents thought those guys were sick. Another chink in the moral fiber of the nation. The lost generation.

On 3/12/2021 at 7:06 PM, BobinVirginia said:

For me tonight it’s Van Halen 1984. 
What do you guys favor while wrenching? 

Jump was my high school class song..........

• Like 1

In my shop.......Warren Zevon, Commander Cody, Ozzy, any classical music by John Williams, Classic Country, maybe some New Orleans or Chicago Jazz.......but only early stuff. Sometimes Big Band. As I get older, certain music stops me from concentrating.........so when elbow deep in a complicated engine, it’s usually easy listening background music........Fleetwood Mac, CSN, John Denver. I also like to play the reunion specials Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Louis, Chuck Berry. Never Elvis or the Beatles. Argo Guthery has been popular lately. 

• Like 2