Garage Music?

BobinVirginia

I have a Walmart special AM-FM-CD in the garage that alternates between a rock station or talk. I've taken to leaving it on 24-7 in hopes it keeps meeces out. Maybe lizards too since I had a bumper crop of those this year. Hey, if I have lizards🦎, I probably don't have any snakes🐍!

I have one big brown fence lizard I named Mr Wizard. Often see it strutting around with an insect in its mouth. Trouble is Mr W kinda likes to hang around underfoot. There'll be smushed lizard if it keeps that up. Drizzle, drazzle...

• 7 months later...

Not as much of an audiophile as I was when much younger. I have all my radios tuned to 96.1 (Lanco guys on the forum will know this one). They play the music of my youth, some good some not so much. On the weekends they play 70's one day and 80's the next. Its kinda nostalgic working on my 77 Trans Am and listening to 70's music on the radio.

• Like 2

My Comcast line up has just about any genre that one may want.

My system is about a 40 year old stereo (plays vinyl, cartridges, AM and FM and my TV inputs as well) with a later sub woofer and large speakers on each end of the shop.

I tend to gravitate towards the blues. But not as loud as that old setup will crank. (most of the time)

4 minutes ago, JACK M said:

My Comcast line up has just about any genre that one may want.

My system is about a 40 year old stereo (plays vinyl, cartridges, AM and FM and my TV inputs as well) with a later sub woofer and large speakers on each end of the shop.

I tend to gravitate towards the blues. But not as loud as that old setup will crank. (most of the time)

That group I put up there "Mitch and Mitch", can you get that on Comcast? 

Maybe, but I doubt it, the Comcast channels are kind of scripted, If I leave it on the same channel it repeats. And I think they may be playing some stuff that they made up.

But NO COMMERCIALS.

I guess I could tune in MTV but never have.

I do have a CD player wired in but never use that.

I use the FM on occasion.

I don't fiddle with it much, turn it on when I get there and turn it off when I leave.

I am not one that puts a band name with a tune, I like to listen but never know and don't really care who I am listening to.

Some beats get me going better than others, but its pretty much just background music for me.

I don't think I have ever heard of Mitch and Mitch.

I still tune into Collage Radio FM radio station around here when I am in the garage. WFUV from Fordham University they have one of the few living Disc Jockeys from the WNEW New York City Station on the air, kind brings me back just hear his voice on the air waves. As a matter of fact I heard a few weeks ago on his station that Roger McGuinn from the Byrds is playing a solo show this coming Tuesday a few miles from my house that I going to see. I had seen Roger several times over the past 20 years he's got to be getting close to 80 now but still has it from what I had heard.

11 hours ago, JACK M said:

I guess I could tune in MTV but never have.

Obvious you never have, since MTV gave up playing music in the 80s.....😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Obvious you never have, since MTV gave up playing music in the 80s.....😆

I was misled I tell ya.

I saw it a couple of posts above on one of the M&M posts.

Chicks for free.....

I prefer the relaxing sounds out of my old Sub-woofer.  Emits the relaxing sound of a German Shepherd on a Submarine.

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

I have never seen White Snake in concert. Back in the day Idaho was not known for having a lot of concerts roll through. Motley Crue played in 85? At the BSU pavilion. Rumor floating around was that the people in charge did not care for that type of show. We were all very young, and might start to act out what we were seeing. I think they can dance there now? 

Edited by Xander Wildeisen (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm just thinking. Someone should make an album for garages like the old country music songs. You know; I'm in a bar, my wife left me, I'm alone, my dog died, my house burned down (I got throwed out of the electrician apprentice program), the regular stuff.

The garage songs could be about; my disc brake conversion bearing don't fit, my dual master cylinder won't bleed, my aluminum radiator was cheaper but has no shroud, my LED lights are too bright in the dash, my 25 year old tires creak, mud came out of my wheel cylinders, the regular stuff.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Not sure if we covered Tom T. Hall, gone recently but one of the best of one of my favorite genres, Classic Country storytellers.

My wife hates 99% of country music and that last 1 percent she doesn't realize is country. ;)  but I told her,  you have to listen to the story in Country songs.  Even songs i have heard over and over,  i will finally really listen to and it suddenly becomes a whole new song.  Too bad i can't get her to hear the song through the Music. 

Willie's  Road house plays alot of Tom T.  I usually have that on in the garage,  but since i have the Plymouth in there now,  I'm listening to the 40's.   Seems more appropriate.  Working on the Brockway,  seemed Willie's was the right vibe. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Randy that's perfect!

Marty Robbins could almost make his stories play out like movies.  Cash had the voice that did a lot of it, Tom T. Hall kept it moving with humor and who doesn't like Loretta Lynn's ballad/stories...

My wife will usually find her vehicle tuned to Willie's Roadhouse after I use it... 😉😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ive always been a rock guy, but dad went through a country phase in the 70's and I was exposed to a lot of it then. Now I enjoy listening to Waylon, Conway Twitty, and the like. I dont listen to anything modern country though, wouldnt know any singers these days.  I can do just about any kind of music though, I still dabble with the guitar a bit and played in my share of garage bands in days of yore, as well as played brass in the school orchestra. Rock to classic and most anything in between.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

My tastes run the gamut......Mostly classic rock and jazz........but tonight.....

"I've seen the bright lights of Memphis, and the Commodore Hotel.  And underneath a street lamp, I met a southern Belle....................."

I love a good song that tells a story.  B Dylan "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts.  Beatles "Rocky Racoon". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"Some are mathematicians, some are carpenters' wives..."

"Blood on the Tracks" remains my favorite Dylan album. The master, at the top of his game.

This one does it for me too.

Mr Cooper was here a few weeks ago playing the Blue Ridge Rock Festival and even played 27 holes of golf at the local country club.

Prescient in 1973, no?😼

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

"Some are mathematicians, some are carpenters' wives..."

"Blood on the Tracks" remains my favorite Dylan album. The master, at the top of his game.

Blood on the tracks.  Yep.  Every single track is great.  
“ Rosemary started drinkin’ hard and seein’ her reflection in the knife“

it doesn’t get a lot of hype, but I love his Infidels album. I think I listened to it every day the second semester of my sophomore year of college. 

10 hours ago, John Bloom said:

My tastes run the gamut......Mostly classic rock and jazz........but tonight.....

"I've seen the bright lights of Memphis, and the Commodore Hotel.  And underneath a street lamp, I met a southern Belle....................."

I love a good song that tells a story.  B Dylan "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts.  Beatles "Rocky Racoon". 

I really like Little Feat. I saw them as the opening act for the Rossington Collins Band (if anyone can remember that one!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, all this brings back memories, even Rossington Collins. I'm sure I head them on WGOE ("All the way right" at 1590, alternative rock on AM) in Richmond. 

Time to get the vinyl out....👍

• Like 1

Another Mitch and Mitch, a Polish group, playing with an Italian group whose keyboard player is a great multitasker, also only one brass instrument and it's a French horn (one of my favorite sounds from the brass instruments). Note, Mitch is now playing drums instead of bass.

4 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I really like Little Feat. I saw them as the opening act for the Rossington Collins Band (if anyone can remember that one!)

Overpowered by the parent but good in their own right. Though Feat opening for RCB sounds backward...:blink:

With that cover art it's no surprise Kerry liked them!

• Like 2

While we're in a 70s groove you cannot go wrong with the boys from Illinois- who we in the South adopted as our own.

We all had our own Jefftown Creek.

I've realized that we in central NC and Southside Virginia were fortunate to have the original deep cuts AOR FM station. WQDR 94.7, Raleigh NC. We heard stuff NOBODY else was hearing at the time. I cried the day they switched to country. I drove to work with the rocknroll blasting and when I came out to go home there was this country mess playing. Thought me car radio tuner had gone wack until the announcer said "the NEW Q,  94.7 country!" I sat there in the truck and cried, because if there was one thing that radio market didn't need it was another country station.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Overpowered by the parent but good in their own right. Though Feat opening for RCB sounds backward...:blink:

With that cover art it's no surprise Kerry liked them!

And I would have to go back and check but I think one of them played a 'Firebird'!!