Garage Music?

BobinVirginia

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Argo Guthery has been popular lately.

Arlo Guthrie. Woody's son. 👍 Both are good to listen to. Play Alice's restaurant on Thanksgiving, have the young people think dad's  crazy.😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I will go back to my statement that I inherited music from my older siblings. I was more than likely the only kid in the 6th grade that had every Grateful Dead album (In the 5th grade I wore out Love it to Death-Alice Cooper). Never been to a concert, never had the desire to do so. I checked out with them on 'Go to Heaven' maybe? Its been awhile since I have seen the album. Preferred the earlier stuff.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Arlo Guthrie. Woody's son. 👍 Both are good to listen to. Play Alice's restaurant on Thanksgiving, have the young people think dad's  crazy.😁

Arlo is local to me in Florida, saw him last February before the Kung Flu, and up north he lived about 40 miles away in the woods of the Berkshire's. I serviced his 1972 Chevy back in the mid 80's. It was a rat. His house has all his old cars, trucks, and tour busses out back. Nice guy. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Play Alice's restaurant on Thanksgiving, have the young people think dad's  crazy along with Dad's Dad, who also thinks his son is crazy😉 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I will go back to my statement that I inherited music from my older siblings. I was more than likely the only kid in the 6th grade that had every Grateful Dead album (In the 5th grade I wore out Love it to Death-Alice Cooper). Never been to a concert, never had the desire to do so. I checked out with them on 'Go to Heaven' maybe? Its been awhile since I have seen the album. Preferred the earlier stuff.

A concert in general or a Dead Show?

24 minutes ago, stakeside said:

Sirius XM works for me and my neighbors. I go to the 50’s and 60’s.

Sirius XM and many radio stations are very interesting and I made a bit of study on them.

If you listen to XM and you dial in say 60's music, or you have a radio station that plays 60's music you actually get music from a play list, and that play list only plays a fraction of the popular songs of a particular decade. I challenge anyone to see for themselves that they are NOT hearing or the station is not representing the music of that era correctly.

You can look up the top 40 or top 100 tunes of any given month X12 and year and compare what they are playing you will see what I mean. And they play that same short play list over and over.  

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eventually you will all get old enough to hear the music in your head.  I guess it happens at different ages for different people.  No idea where it's coming from, but it's there and it's different song/songs every day playing continuously.  Some of it will be songs you haven't heard in 60 years, but within the first several notes, you'll remember the words.  But then it keeps playing over and over and over throughout the day.

• Like 4

Funny thing with music and old people.   Even after you have Alzheimer's and ar confined to a memory care home,

you will remember the words to old songs and sing along when the guest entertainment plays your songs.   You'll

know these lyrics long after you don't know your wife's or kid's names.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

The sounds of my cursing.

Years ago I was changing a 64 Olds waterpump. Car was at my parents' place.

Now, to Oldsmobile's credit, they had engineered a notch in the harmonic balancer to get to the w/p bottom bolt, but I didn't have the thinwall 3/8 socket needed to get in there with me. I was turning the air blue.

Mama and her neighbor were having tea in the back yard and I heard her say "he's working on his old car, you might hear him say something" ☺️

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, George Cole said:

Eventually you will all get old enough to hear the music in your head.  I guess it happens at different ages for different people.

For me, I have been listening to music in my head since I was in grade school! In high school, I would bet on a hot day that I could raise goose bumps on my arm at will. All I did, was play the Swan Lake finale in my head, and instant goose bumps (told you I love classical music!). I can also raise goose bumps playing the overture to Tannhauser or Puccini's Turnadot in my head.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, George Cole said:

Eventually you will all get old enough to hear the music in your head.  I guess it happens at different ages for different people.  No idea where it's coming from, but it's there and it's different song/songs every day playing continuously.  Some of it will be songs you haven't heard in 60 years, but within the first several notes, you'll remember the words.  But then it keeps playing over and over and over throughout the day.

It’s the voices in my head that bother me the most. Most of the time they say buy that car............I try and listen as much as a I can afford to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

For me, I have been listening to music in my head since I was in grade school! In high school, I would bet on a hot day that I could raise goose bumps on my arm at will. All I did, was play the Swan Lake finale in my head, and instant goose bumps (told you I love classical music!). I can also raise goose bumps playing the overture to Tannhauser or Puccini's Turndot in my head.

I bet you would love Debussy's Golliwogg's Cakewalk #6, Especially Tomita's version. 

5 hours ago, John348 said:

A concert in general or a Dead Show?

Never been to a Dead show. I have been to a few concerts, was never really my thing. And I loved music growing up. Started playing trumpet in 3rd grade, moved on to baritone once I hit 7th grade. Played guitar in a few bar/garage bands.  Honestly, Im not a loaner, but I dont care to be caught in a big crowd either. Guess it comes from growing up in the country. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

I bet you would love Debussy's Golliwogg's Cakewalk #6, Especially Tomita's version. 

The cakewalk I had heard years ago. But Tomita's version? If what I found on Youtube is any indication? A bit too new age for me. However I am generally open minded and willing to listen to new things. My son had me listening to some Scottish rock group awhile back. I rather enjoyed it. (Even though they didn't have any bagpipes!)

Country/Bluegrass/Cajon

Mark Knopfler (from Dire Straits) and Emmylou Harris anything together... preferably live..

Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris - OUR SHANGRI LA - The Best Version - YouTube

Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris - If This Is Goodbye (Real Live Roadrunning | Official Live Video) - YouTube

Knopfler is one Scot that has proven the Bluegrass sound is universal.

John Prine and Bonnie Raitt live Angel from Montgomery

Bonnie Raitt& John Prine - Angel From Montgomery - YouTube

Hanks, either one...

Waylon, Merle, Buddy Holly and most anything from the 50s, 60s, and 70s when country wasn't cool but rock and true rhythm and blues was. New stuff is garbage.

Jolie Blon by Doug Kershaw or the Waylon/Buddy Holly versions

Jimmy C Newman Doug Kershaw Joel Sonnier - Jole Blon - YouTube

Jole Blon - Waylon Jennings, Buddy Holly and King Curtis - YouTube

Balfa Brothers 

Dewey Balfa - Jai Ete Au Bal - Awesome Fiddlesticks - YouTube

Hackberry Rag

Breakdown à Pete 1938 - YouTube

Rock/Rhythm and blues

The Pogues (Dirty old town!)/ Flogging Mollys / U2 with Clannad

Zepp, Physical Graffiti and One most any cuts

Most any Floyd, particularly Live at Pompeii with no fans (not a Covid thing)... especially Echoes.

Pink Floyd -"Echoes" Pompeii - YouTube

Stevie Wonder

Temptations

Marvin 
Smokie 

etc....

Alternative/Christian

Jars of Clay live with symphony Frail

Jars of Clay - Frail - YouTube

10th Ave North most anything

Tenth Avenue North - Love Is Here - YouTube

Tenth Ave North - You Are More - YouTube

Opera 

There's only one

Pavarotti 

Music... the true great uniter.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

The cakewalk I had heard years ago. But Tomita's version? If what I found on Youtube is any indication? A bit too new age for me. However I am generally open minded and willing to listen to new things. My son had me listening to some Scottish rock group awhile back. I rather enjoyed it. (Even though they didn't have any bagpipes!)

Tomita's version and the whole album was released in 1974, probably a large influence to his music was Wendy Carlos who did the famous LP in 1968 called "Switched On Bach" and for years on PBS's "Masterpiece Theater"  and introduced by Masterpiece Theater's "BEST" host  Alistair Cook was part of the background music. Without this pioneering work with the MOOG bands like Emerson Lake and Palmer would have had a harder time.

Do you remember now?, and it's not new age-it's 53 years old! It's pure MATH and watch it work!

Bach, Brandenburg Concerto no. 3, 3rd mvt, Allegro - YouTube

24 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

True but Tchaikovsky's 5th is perfect for wiring.... well, some of it lol

It has all the highs and lows you go through...

Just when you think you have it figured out. WHAMMO!

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Today it was Billie  Holiday, Robert Johnson and Anton Karas' Third Man Theme. Tomorrow I think it will be Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and the Wailers. A few days ago it was it was Patsy Cline, Hank Williams Sr. and the Cadillacs. I've been thinking about a day with John Klemmer, Brubeck and maybe the Kingsmen. 

I guess Buddy Holly's music did really dye along with him. 

On 3/15/2021 at 11:20 PM, Buffalowed Bill said:

Today it was Billie  Holiday, Robert Johnson and Anton Karas' Third Man Theme. Tomorrow I think it will be Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and the Wailers. A few days ago it was it was Patsy Cline, Hank Williams Sr. and the Cadillacs. I've been thinking about a day with John Klemmer, Brubeck and maybe the Kingsmen. 

I guess Buddy Holly's music did really dye along with him. 

It seems like you enjoy a large variety.

Try this, back in 1962 it was my first introduction to Brazilian jazz, and these are the original compositions by the master. He was so famous the city of Rio named one of their international airports after him.  It opened a whole new world of music for me. Many artists use his compositions, like Stan Getz, Frank Sinatra, Vikki Carr, Astrud Gilberto just to name a very few. You'll most likely recognize some of the songs but didn't know who wrote them.

Antônio Carlos Jobim, 1963: "The Composer Of Desafinado ...

• Thanks 1

There is a pair of youtube channels called "The78Prof" and "The45Prof" that catalog most every hit song (pop, and some country and R&B) from about 1925-1950 and then 1950-1966 respectively. They have lots of songs from the 50s and 60s that were popular back then that never get played on radio anymore. They're sorted in to "Hits archive" playlists with lots of songs from a particular year all in one that you can shuffle.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBdfpBp6qA6WwTpFF0utT9A/playlists?view=50&shelf_id=3

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC43oS1vZRDBWr3f2N7m8B8g/playlists?view=50&shelf_id=3

• Thanks 2