Garage Music?

BobinVirginia

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Joan Chamorro is doing wonders with the kids of Spain teaching them Songs out of the Great American songbook and Brazilian greats. 

I’ve been a huge fan of his and what he is doing for six or seven years. I’ve watched this video you posted multiple times through the years. It always kills me when she gets up to play her solo and there’s a juice box in her pocket.  Little Alba. She is all grown up now. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, John Bloom said:

I’ve been a huge fan of his and what he is doing for six or seven years. I’ve watched this video you posted multiple times through the years. It always kills me when she gets up to play her solo and there’s a juice box in her pocket.  Little Alba. She is all grown up now. 

I just showed that to my 9 year old daughter that brought her first trumpet home a few weeks ago.  Maybe it will help motivate her.  I bought one and we are learning together. (to help keep her motivated)    I have a Clarinet and hopefully a Sax coming as well.  All old instruments,  The sax is 98 years old.  Why buy new when you can find good quality used/antique stuff? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I just showed that to my 9 year old daughter that brought her first trumpet home a few weeks ago.  Maybe it will help motivate her.  I bought one and we are learning together. (to help keep her motivated)    I have a Clarinet and hopefully a Sax coming as well.  All old instruments,  The sax is 98 years old.  Why buy new when you can find good quality used/antique stuff? 

That is awesome Randy. So cool you guys are doing it together!  have you played a brass instrument before? Go to Joan Chamorro’s website and start pulling up some videos. That little girl Alba has grown up and has a haunting top shelf jazz voice as a girl in her early 20s now. That little girl on the trumpet can sing. To see what he does with these young people is just amazing. I am a hack jazz piano player and I so love what he is doing and seeing these young people brought into great music and mentored and developed and then turning them loose to fly on their own.

Good luck to your daughter!

• Like 1

Antonio Carlos Jobim (Tom Jobim) wrote this song in 1961-62 and this is the original,1962. It is arranged by the great Claus Ogerman. It is one of the original Brazilian Bossa Nova standards. The song So Danco Samba (Jazz Samba) isn't a samba though, as it was written as an Bossa Nova.

So Danco Samba (Jazz Samba)

Rita Payes and Joan Chamorro Play this song below. Rita was one of the trombone players in the band playing with little Alba. Here Rita is at 14. Today she is married and has a little one of her own. Rita also plays with her mom who is a classical guitar player.

2014 SO DANÇO SAMBA... RITA PAYES JOAN CHAMORRO ...

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, John Bloom said:

That is awesome Randy. So cool you guys are doing it together!  have you played a brass instrument before? Go to Joan Chamorro’s website and start pulling up some videos. That little girl Alba has grown up and has a haunting top shelf jazz voice as a girl in her early 20s now. That little girl on the trumpet can sing. To see what he does with these young people is just amazing. I am a hack jazz piano player and I so love what he is doing and seeing these young people brought into great music and mentored and developed and then turning them loose to fly on their own.

Good luck to your daughter!

Years ago I played trombone in a school where you were kind of assigned an instrument that often was one you didn't want,  so the motivation was never there. I  only played it a few years. 

Of course if that teacher had introduced me to vintage jazz and big band music,  it might have ignited a spark.  I often listen to that now and have for several years.  

I did buy my own drum set (what I really wanted to play) when I was probably 11 years old ($1000). way back then.  Still have it set up in my office.   I could play them fairly well,  but even then I was interested in vintage jazz snd it was often mixed in with my rock, heavy metal and country/ oldies selections I would play along with.  

I picked up a guitar about 11 years ago and taught myself enough to play it (more rhythm type than lead) well enough to play some of my favorite songs.  Finger picking the cords really makes it sound like you are playing much more complicated stuff than you really are.

Amazing what you can learn off you tube.  

Have been toying with the idea of a piano as well.  We have the room,  but about 20 steps to get one up into the house.   Several nice free uprights in a 20 mile radius.  

I always have music playing in the house , garage, office and even out in the field when I'm cutting brush , moving dirt,  etc. 

I occasionally still have music on, mostly old country, bluegrass or 50-70s R&R but for awhile now I have been mostly listening to assorted pod casts and New Old Time Radio shows.

Jim...

• Like 3

The other day while working in the shop I went to YouTube (I have a pretty good sound system for the computer) and brought up 100 Billboard hits of 1959. There are a lot of great songs that year. Two songs of that year really come to mind.

The night we (me, mom and dad) finally picked up our new 1959 Pontiac Catalina that my dad ordered through the L.A. Pontiac Zone office, our street/race car from a clueless dealer who didn't know it was coming. Anyroad, just as we were leaving the dealership and turning onto Santa Monica Blvd. my mom turned on the radio and (Super Deluxe Radio with front and rear speakers) the song from the Flamingos " I only have eyes for you" comes on. A friend once told me that when a song makes you recollect something or place it's called anchoring. When I hear that song, it brings me right back to that moment. 

The second song, Avalon's song Venus, also reminds me of mom and dad and me driving out to my sister and brother in laws brand new house in that Catalina and all of us helping out putting in the landscaping including my little niece and nephew and them crawling around in the dirt thinking they were helping. They were though, it's good to be together. It was such a neat time, and everything was so positive with a wide-open horizon/future. 

Thoughts, my mom straightened me out on that "I Only Have Eyes for You" song. She told me that song was written and played in 1934 for the movie Dames and Dick Powell sang it. She knew the song so well because my dad took her to the pictures and first heard it. So same song, but that song anchors her memory to when she saw/heard it with my dad on a date. They married in 1936.

Anyone seen the movie American Graffiti? There are a bunch of songs from the mid to late 50's in the movie. The movie is supposed to be in the year 1962. Back in those days there were no oldies stations. The first oldies station in L.A. that I remember was in about 1972.

Point I'm trying to make is; in 1962 you wouldn't have heard half or more of the songs they played in American Graffiti.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

American Grafitti is one of my favorite films from the 70s. I was in high school at the time and initial filming of the cruising scenes was in my hometown of San Rafael, CA. Cruising down that street on Friday nights after the HS football game became very popular. Not only are the songs great, but I’m sure many here enjoyed the cars too. I’m still chasing after the blond in the T Bird

• Like 4

Some one mentioned Nuggets... Garage Bands from the 60's and the ones that paid tribute in the 80's are my thing.

Standells, Chocolate Watch Band, 13th Floor Elevators, Flaming Groovies, MC5, and so on.  

Later Fleshtones, Boss Martians, Woggles, The Mortals, Fuzztones and SURF. 

somewhat obscure to the end, fixated on the mid sixties just like my car collection.

• Like 1

Ted- there are several youtube channels dedicated to that. Search "snotty 60s garage" or similar.

I never knew so many boys had picked up electric guitars in the 60s and proceeded to make loud snarling guitar noise. Lot of local bands on local record labels that probably didn't sell more than a thousand records tops. Tasty stuff.

My father forced me to listen to country and southern gospel music growing up. To this day I can't tolerate either. I was fortunate enough that one of my cousins was one of those boys who made loud snarling guitar noise so I was at least exposed to it. Then in 1970 I was at a junior high buddy's house and his older brother had a copy of The Stooges' "Fun House". I heard "T.V. Eye" and my 13 year old mind was totally blown. It was loud, nasty, dangerous, and what I'd been looking for my whole life.

Here's to loud, snotty garage rock everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

i like youtube ...50s rock and 60s.......i find the whole songs too long sometimes  ......"jive bunny and the master mixers" have shortened versions of 50 s songs and remixes...........and tunes i like..... Hawaii 5.0 theme ,the good bad and the ugly theme {and i just learned The good bad and the ugly .....was mostly filmed outside of US },beach boys car songs

• Like 1

When working in the garage, I listen to the 60s and 70s channels on SiriusXM. Also listen to these channels when driving my DD and 40 Chevy and 53 Packard. A portable Bluetooth speaker linked to my iPhone allows me to keep the original old car radios intact

• Like 2

1 hour ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

Groups from the 60's and 70's..... from Led Zeppelin to Southern Rock..... I can't stand the crap that my kids listen to..

Here's a good southern group:

I'll see your green grass and raise you a love song!

Let's throw some MTB in the mix too.

One of my friends had family in Spartanburg and his cousin dated Toy and Tommy Caldwell's baby brother Tim. So, a couple times I went to Spartanburg with Steve, I got to party with MTB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CChinn said:

When working in the garage, I listen to the 60s and 70s channels on SiriusXM. Also listen to these channels when driving my DD and 40 Chevy and 53 Packard. A portable Bluetooth speaker linked to my iPhone allows me to keep the original old car radios intact

A challenge for you. For example, if you listen to 60's on SirusXM take a note of all the songs they play. Take the top 20 billboard songs of 1960. You will find that these stations only play and repeatedly play the same songs over and over and only play less than 40% of the top hits of 1960. When someone says they listen to 60's music on those formats what they are saying is they are missing 60% of the songs we really listened to. Funny thing is their selections are not indicative of where the songs were rated in the ratings of the time. 

If you think that's bad, the 50's are even worse. Try listening for a top tenner form 1950-1954. These stations seem to think the fifties music started in 1955.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

Groups from the 60's and 70's..... from Led Zeppelin to Southern Rock..... I can't stand the crap that my kids listen to..

Here's a good southern group:

Best of the genre Steve!!  RIP Hugh Thomasson 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

A challenge for you. For example, if you listen to 60's on SirusXM take a note of all the songs they play. Take the top 20 billboard songs of 1960. You will find that these stations only play and repeatedly play the same songs over and over and only play less than 40% of the top hits of 1960. When someone says they listen to 60's music on those formats what they are saying is they are missing 60% of the songs we really listened to. Funny thing is their selections are not indicative of where the songs were rated in the ratings of the time. 

Thanks for the info which I am aware of.  I’m ok with it. Just like many of the discussions on this forum, if the OP, buyer of a car, etc is ok with it, then it should be fine b/c it is his/her choice

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Anyone who can buck conventional music industry norms and pull off an event like Lilith Fair is formidable indeed!

There was a "Rock'n'Roll Girls" thread on another forum I frequent and the tunes the folks there posted really expanded my taste in music- which is eclectic enough to begin with!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, TAKerry said:

I played in a band in my younger days, Sharp dressed man was on the playlist!

Nice! I was very young when it came out and my older brother got the record. We played the heck out of it on the old Tv-Stereo combo. Record player one side and radio on the other. I’m a 76 model and still remember tv’s that were furniture. I even remember some putting newer tv’s on top of the old ones to keep using the stereo! Lol

• Like 2

When i,m working, especially if i,m concentrating on a problem or delicate operation, i like the delicious sound of silence.  

When i listen to music i listen without distraction. When i work i work witout distraction.

Trying to do both lessens both.....bob

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

When i,m working, especially if i,m concentrating on a problem or delicate operation, i like the delicious sound of silence.  

When i listen to music i listen without distraction. When i work i work witout distraction.

Trying to do both lessens both.....bob

One of the best lathe guy’s I’ve ever met was exactly the same. He’d walk away from his machine with any radio noise. I understand that and respect it completely 

Edited by BobinVirginia (see edit history)
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, BobinVirginia said:

One of the best lathe guy’s I’ve ever met was exactly the same. He’d walk away from his machine with any radio noise. I understand that and respect it completely 

One of the worst things is being forced to listen to music you hate. I have a friend, Joe. Outstanding die maker, that got a job in a shop that played an endless loop of show tunes. He finally had to quit. Couldn't get them out of his head. Sometimes when our group is sitting around a camp fire, half in the bag, someone will start belting out Ethyl Mermon doing "There's no business like show business" as a joke at Joe's expense. Just a few bars is all it takes...........Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

One of the worst things is being forced to listen to music you hate. I have a friend, Joe. Outstanding die maker, that got a job in a shop that played an endless loop of show tunes. He finally had to quit. Couldn't get them out of his head. Sometimes when our group is sitting around a camp fire, half in the bag, someone will start belting out Ethyl Mermon doing "There's no business like show business" as a joke at Joe's expense. Just a few bars is all it takes...........Bob

Yep, that indeed sounds miserable