Will you go to Hershey, if?

trimacar

So, with this new virus, I’m at high risk due to pre-existing conditions. I’d be willing to bet that a lot of us are in the same boat.

Although Hershey is still six months away, most projections show that this wicked little evil isn’t going away.  While it hopefully won’t be the major problem it is now, it will be around for a long time.  Of course, the way we live and interact with people is forever changed.

So, the question is, with disease under control but still having outbreaks here and there, would you attend Hershey??

Its two hours from me, I’d hate to miss seeing friends there, but unless things change dramatically I’m doubting I’d attend.  

That assumes it’s not cancelled, of course, but that’s a huge and hard decision by Hershey region, particularly with the money that flows.

I'll be there. GCC 5,6. Stop by and bump elbows. Don't forget to bring old spark plugs.

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will sit back and wait to see how things develop, to early to say yes or no. I hope to see it remain and go on , it is really the only car

show/flea market I attend or have been able to attend in the past 2 years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

David first of all you are right to [put your health first.  As it should be.  However, to speculate about Hershey being canceled at this early date is in no one's best interest.  As of this point,  everything is a go.  There are many other events from sports to concerts that are planned in the fall so we are not the only ones expecting some return to normalcy.  Naturally, dependent on advice from health officials extra precautions may be necessary but again way too early to tell.  

It will not be a decision based upon $$$$ but what is right for the 1,000 or so Hershey Region volunteers (many with gray hair!) and the public.  The advice of all the stakeholders involved. will be paramount in making the right decisions. 

AACA currently has other events scheduled prior to the fall nationals and we will continue to abide by the law and abide by recommendations made to us by those who are in the best position to advise us. 

Let us all hope it will be an easy decision to once again host the "greatest show one earth".  We will all need a break by then!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

I realize it’s early for speculation, just thought it would be an interesting topic.  Hopefully it’s a non issue and we’re back to a good normal by then!

If you feel the question causes a problem feel free to delete thread, won’t bother me...thanks...

42 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Life almost isn't worth living

Decisions have consequences.  If you have pre-existing conditions and and make the wrong decision you may not be living.  Since the virus sheds for 7-14 days  before the person becomes symptomatic you may be putting loved ones at risk also.  We all appreciate the gravity that Steve and the Board face in making these decisions.  No one here has mentioned the liability issue of some one going to Hershey and then dying of Covid-19. I am sure Hershey Attorneys are thinking of it.  Walmart is already being sued.  What ever the function you decide to attend you you aren't just putting yourself at risk.  If the risk were singular I would say to He__ with it, take my chances and go.  However my wife is immune compromised and her father is in his 90's with COPD.  Not sure it is worth isolating for 14 days in a motel before rejoining the family. We need to weigh ALL the factors before making rash decisions.  Even if a vaccine is developed by then (unlikely) how effective was your flu shot this year?  45% for adults and 55% for children.  

What leads you to believe this vaccine will be different?  Just some things to think about.  Many unanswered questions.  Pray for Steve and the Board.  They have some tough days ahead.

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Good comments.  I don’t see how the organizers could scale it back, it’s an all or nothing proposition to me...

I wasn't thinking the organizers would scale it back. My worry is enough participants stay away that this year's event is considerably smaller. A lot of vendors and car show entrants are grey haired too.

Just now, trimacar said:

...evil isn’t going away.  While it hopefully won’t be the major problem it is now, it will be around for a long time.  Of course, the way we live and interact with people is forever changed.

Here is a hopeful and realistic view:  During times of trouble,

there's a tendency for people to say, "This time is different.

Things will never be the same again."  Such a doubt is evident

when people start using the term "new normal."  But history

shows that evil and errors are overcome and Life and Truth

remain constant.

Did life return to normal after the Franco-Prussian War?  Yes!

Did life return to normal, and expand and excel in the Renaissance,

after the bubonic plague of the Dark Ages?  Superbly!  Did life

resume after the destruction and dislocation of World War II?

Yes, jubilantly!

I'll be at Hershey 2020.  Now, which car to take?

• Like 1

"...how effective was your flu shot this year?  45% for adults and 55% for children..."  

The  flu vaccine has limited efffectiveness because researchers must guess a year in advance which virus to vaccinate against. This will not be the case with our current virus. For example, measles is another even more infectious virus whose vaccine is close to 95-98% effective. If 92% are vaccinated, the desease essentally dissapears. . Ironically, if it weren't for the 1918 flu epidemic,  I wouldn't  exist. It killed my grandmother's first husband.

Phil

It may be hard to do at this moment, but THINK POSITIVE, that is the one thing that Hershey brings out in all of us, gives us memories to carry with us forever after each one.

Keep in mind it is because a lot of people think exactly the same way and year after year donate the time and effort for all of us who descend upon a parking lot in the center of Pa. to spend time looking at used car parts! Then Haggle over a rusted piece of iron and leave hundreds of dollars with the seller and act like you are 5 years old again on Christmas morning.

All of this from serious adults - define serious..................................define and explain true happiness, thanks to AACA for giving us the opportunity to do that in October of every year.

Lecture and sermon over - go out to your garage and sit behind the wheel of your car and be happy for a few minutes.

We are a community of sentimentalists , historians and crazy squirrels. ( yeah you won't admit to that last one but you are and you know it)

Walt

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This will be my 37th sequential year at CG 32-34 - every year since the Chocolate Field was opened-

Assuming the officials deem it reasonable to hold the swap and the show,

I'll be there to support,

to vend,

to buy,

to judge,

but mostly to visit with friends.

• Like 2

I hope it happens...this was planned to be my very first year. But, I think it won't happen, and not by choice of the AACA...I expect this virus to be a problem for two or more years. Throughout all the pandemics in history most have lasted three years, some longer. I hope I'm wrong, I really do, but I'm not going to get my hopes up either. 

This will be number 52 for me and I will make every attempt to be there. If it takes a world pandemic to stop me, so be it. As Steve states, let's not start speculating about something that's 6 months away.

• Like 1

We lost the Portland meet this year.

I have a feeling that it isn't going to be a free for all when the prez says OK.

I rather think that these huge gatherings will be on the list for some time.

I don't see myself dropping at the first bar or theater to reopen,

YOU?

• Like 1

I plan to come.

After 3 Mile Island we wondered if it would be safe, we went.

Several floods along the Susquehanna River and we wondered if we could get there, we went.

A flood or two in Hershey proper, wondered if it would be canceled, we went.

In hospital with broken wrist falling out of back of the truck loading for Hershey, I didn't go.

So I can't say for sure but if it happens I'm sure going to try.

I’ll be in Hershey at the regular time.........it’s a reflex for me .........like breathing. I figure if there isn’t a “official” meet, I’ll camp out in Steve Moskowitz’s  garage...........anyone have his address? I’m guessing he isn’t too far away. 

If this isn’t enough motivation to be sure the show goes on, nothing is! 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Canadian government is predicting the disease could possibly linger for the next year. But hopefully not as I am also planing on Hershey but will have to see what happens. 

Australia had there first case in Jan. and the numbers grew until April. So much for peoples ideas that the disease will die off with the summer heat seeing it is hot in Australia in Jan. being their summer time. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

I am planning to be there. It is too early to speculate about events that far out.  Right now I am interested to hear the status of a tour I want to attend in mid June.  So far it has not been cancelled. There is lot going on with the virus and the medical community and my guess is we will know a lot more about the future in the next couple of weeks.  

Alan

• Like 1

11 hours ago, edinmass said:

I figure if there isn’t a “official” meet, I’ll camp out in Steve Moskowitz’s  garage........

Ed, that's a great idea!  I'll load up a few fleas and bring a table and an awning with a couple of folding chairs.  We can post our new street address on the forum.  It might be small, but it'll still he Hershey! See you there.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Anyone know if the virus attacks God awful cheap white plastic fencing?

You will have to ask Hershey Entertainment about your concerns. They own the property.  

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Will be there as I hope this is the year to finally meet my virtual pal David C in person! 🙂

Having been friends with David for twenty five years, I can confirm he isn’t virtual; but he is virtuous!😇

• Like 2

I just might go, provided it doesn't get canceled. 

As was already stated, the Portland Swap Meet was canceled, and our local swap meet that I've been attending for over 40 years has now been canceled.

May as well save my accumulated deprivation for the granddaddy of all swap meets in October.  I'd like to say I got there at least ONCE in my lifetime, even though it will be a three-day drive each way!

Craig