What have you learned on the AACA Forum?

trimacar

What have you learned on this sight? (see below if you question my spelling)  Here's my list:

THINGS I’VE LEARNED ON THE AACA FORUM

The best and most relevant advice you can give a would-be seller is “call Jay Leno”.

A car in a nice metal building with fluorescent lights can be called a barn find. 

Leaving the dust, dirt, and pigeon droppings on a found car tremendously increases the value of said car.

Every unidentified car in a picture is a Ford.  If it’s not a Ford, then it’s a Packard.

The forum is on a sight, not a site.  There are breaks on car, not brakes (oh, wait, this might actually be  correct, old cars do break).   There, there, they’re selling their car. Some grammar is unexceptable.  Accept mine.

No matter how fine a restoration is, when pictures are posted of the finished car, someone will say something like:  “well, it’d be a nice car if that flabberdash crickpat were rotated ten degrees clockwise, like its supposed to be, ruins the whole car”.

An Antique Automobile forum can allow the words “computer”, “module”, and “electronic” to be posted. Oh, and "error codes".....

6 volt batteries never worked, and it wasn’t until 12 volt batteries became commonplace that everyone got to work on time.

Two wheel brakes don’t work, so they should be upgraded to: Four wheel brakes, but they don’t work, so should be upgraded to:  Hydraulic brakes, but darn, they don’t work because they are:  Drum brakes.  Thank goodness disc brakes were invented or we’d never be able to stop.

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

What I have learned is that folks very seldom actually want advice.  What they do want is confirmation of  decisions they have already made, right or wrong.

That's a fairly common occurrence, even in industry and government.  There are a lot of "studies" that start out with a big check and the words "here's what we want to find", and then the statistics and facts are presented in such a way to prove it.

But, I do agree with you.  When someone posts "I have a Peacock green 1966 Whatsit with radio delete and special order floor mats, which make it one of a kind, is it worth four times the current price guides?", they're not looking for someone to say "no way", they want affirmation.....and if you do say "no way" then they'll come back with you don't know what you're talking about, I know this thing is worth X.....

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Well, I learned this early on in AACA but it is reinforced daily on the Forum, above all semantics and work choice are the most important thing while having a discussion. Proper spelling and punctuation come in very close second and third. There was a 1940 year cutoff when I first joined AACA, lots of Forum chat is about cars that will be built 25 years or more in the future, something I won't be alive to see, and sure don't care about. This will be found to be offensive and will be removed by a monitor, so read it quickly. Have a Happy New Year! Bob  

• Like 4

Just now, TerryB said:

I've learned the only cars worth talking about were built before 1949.  After that they were all mass produced boxes not worthy of discussion here.

True, Mal-Mark has lots of them, there are exceptions, Trucks, Sports Cars and Race Cars. 

Bob 

What I have learned is that people/members on this forum are very helpful if that is what a person is looking for. This forum is full of a large cast of characters, funny comments, slight poking at each other, but everyone comes back knowing nobody is out to put down anyone. It is always fun to read the comments from people, and see things from different angles. In regardes two speling" neveermind.  

• Like 14

David, your humorous post does point out a lot of things that do occur yet you and others keep coming back!  Hmmmm.  There might be a case for some serious therapy sessions for some of you! :) 

Seriously, as much as I do not like some of the more strident posts that pop up from time to time this forum and all of you do provide some legitimate help to those who do not have your background in the hobby.  A LOT of people have been helped by this forum.

What I do not like which also was alluded to by Jeff is that we have chased away many professional restorers who use to visit this site but now are gone because their advice was disrespected.  No one is infallible but some of these guys have been restoring cars for decades and have a wealth of knowledge that now is lost to this site.

The main reason AACA pays a small fortune to continue this site is to help the hobby so let's try from time to time to stay positive despite the occasional misinformed poster!

• Like 10

I became a member of AACA sometime in the late 1950's or early 1960's, through my parents' membership. My earliest memory of cars recognized was a firm cutoff after 1928. So the 1929 Model A Roadster which my parents and I drove to many Southern Ohio Chapter AACA events (which was about 30 years old then) wasn't welcome to park on the show field at certain shows. I distinctly recall friends urging my dad to paint the steering wheel that red-rubber color, and call it a 1928. But he wouldn't do it. 

I also clearly remember a prominent member of our local AACA chapter sitting back in his chair and proclaiming loudly that any car which did not have a polished brass radiator and wood felloe wheels was a, "G__ D___ used car!" 

Many folks bristled at the idea of postwar cars. When the first 2-seater T-Bird showed up at one of our tours, there was some very angry language being bandied about. 

My post was for humor, as Steve mentions, and in no way meant to belittle the Forum.  It's a great site, with lots of good information and entertainment.  I visit it way too often.....

I can understand how it can get frustrating when advice learned over decades of working on old cars is ignored or, worse yet, disrespected as mentioned.  I can tell you from personal experience that someone can spend a good bit of time explaining how to do a task, only to be met with "well, I don't want to do it like that, I think you're wrong".  That's fine, do it your way then or don't ask the question in the first place if your mind's made up,  just don't criticize. Ignore the advice in silence if that's what you're going to do.

• Like 3

But more to the OP's question...I have learned many useful things on this forum...especially including the identification of unknown parts, old vehicles in photos, and very-specific features of certain makes and models. 

I have also learned that we should all restore/rebuild/modify/or leave as-found our own vehicles to suit our own tastes. LIke the Ricky Nelson song lyric: "You can't please everyone so, you've got to please yourself." 

Also, I have learned that, if we want our car hobby to sustain itself  and grow, we must recognize that young people don't like the same things we do. This is true in music, clothing, cars, activities, and their use of any kind of media. Instead of complaining at them for not being like ourselves, we must encourage them to enjoy this old hobby in their own way. We must remember that, just like us when we were kids, most of them don't have the $$$, skills, facility, or equipment to go out and buy a very desirable project car, take it home and diligently restore it. 

By the way, this exact same problem is rampant in the hot rod/street rod world. Back in the 1950's and 60's, a high school kid might have a part time job making a few bucks, and save his money for 2 or 3 weeks and buy a gutted old car that he wanted to hot rod. Then a few more weeks' paychecks would be enough to buy a donor car for an engine, transmission, etc, etc. After a total investment of 3-4 hundred dollars, and a couple months effort in his parents' driveway, he could be sporting around town in his "jalopy." It didn't seem to matter that he was running old mechanical brakes on only 2 wheels, or that his contraption suffered from a severe case of "bump steer." Today, gray-beard hot rod builders may have several hundred dollars just in the fancy steering wheel. It's common for a street rod to cost 6 figures. There is no way a typical 22 year old kid can expect to participate in anything like that. 

I hope I will continue to learn more wonderful things on this terrific forum. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I also learned David Cocco has the perfect balance of real world cars in his collection

Well, thank you, sir.  The list is not as good as it looks, some of the cars need some attention, but I'm glad I have what I do have.  And, as many people, I wish I could go back and get 10 cars back that I sold, then the list would be REALLY interesting! 

I agree on the friends comment, in the hobby, and the Forum, I've made contact with people I wouldn't have met otherwise.  I had a lot of people come up to me at Hershey, and it was like we were old friends, as they've seen my nonsense, uh, posts, on the forum.    thanks-  dc

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

David, your humorous post does point out a lot of things that do occur yet you and others keep coming back!  Hmmmm.  There might be a case for some serious therapy sessions for some of you! :) 

Steve, I think you just came up with an idea for a 2019 AACA Annual Meeting seminar (group therapy) session. :D  The presenter had better be prepared to offer this session on both Friday & Saturday because I have a feeling that this session will be in very high demand. ;):D

Some of us in local car circles refer to this "old car hobby" as a sickness. Sure, tongue in cheek, but true I'm sure for many of us. We are collectively a somewhat rare breed and should all stick together. This includes having tolerance for others among us who have (1) different makes (the Ford versus Chev rivalry), (2) have different viewpoints (the restore versus keep original rivalry), (3) have different likes (show car versus ratrod), (4) different levels of knowledge or edjumacation! (neophite versus old hand) (5) different personalities (opinionated versus flexible )and (6) different bank accounts (dirt poor versus JL). There is happily a place for everyone. Although I have passed the 3 score and 10 mark, and always loved really old cars (pre WWII), I bought my first old car in 2008 (1931 Chevrolet Deluxe Coach) and joined here shortly thereafter. It's been a wonderful site!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

What I have learned is that folks very seldom actually want advice.  What they do want is confirmation of  decisions they have already made, right or wrong.

One of my favorite sayings.  And why I rarely give advice unless I really know the person.  Tired of arguing about why my opinion is wrong.

25 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

One of my favorite sayings.  And why I rarely give advice unless I really know the person.  Tired of arguing about why my opinion is wrong.

I agree, and withhold comment most of the time. 

• Like 3

What have I learned? I’d probably overload the servers if I made a list. The most important thing though, is that there are a lot of very helpful guys here, who are willing to give up their time to help a fish out of water.

Instead of being critical about what I didn’t know, they guided me to understand a world that I had previously only known as a spectator, and in the process, they helped me take care of my father. It’s a gentleman’s hobby. 

Thank you  all for that! 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

One thing that I have learned, aside from the fact that there is a lot of humor, is that there is a tremendous amount of knowledge. Almost every question asked is answered correctly. Some other sites (not sights) as trimcar notes, seem love to answer questions sarcastically and gloat at the fact that they know the answer and you don't. Might be that the AACA people are above that kind of nonsense. Thanks guys!

• Like 2

Larned that I might have, possibly could have, maybe made an error sometime.  Also some times (maybe all the time) I should think before putting fingers in motion.

Seriously this has to be the greatest bunch of hobbyists anywhere and I miss "Saddle Rider".

I've learned that regardless of how many times you are on this site a day, when someone asks what car is in the picture, you will have to type really fast to beat Keiser31 and that's just because he stepped outside to take a picture of another car that just happened to drive by his house.  

I think I did beat him once and that's only because I was typing really fast and he must have been getting one of those shots. ;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

What have I learned?

That is such an open ended question that it is hard to respond. Good vs. bad, like vs.dislike, original vs. over restored, joking vs. truth, dumb response vs. accurate knowledge, drive it vs. store it, young new member vs. old salt, I can go on and on about hot issues, conflicting viewpoints, and useful information. I know what I like and dislike, so what I have learned is to tune out the complainers, listen to experienced old timers, and be open to the new viewpoints of others. And most importantly be respectful even if you disagree. 

• Like 4

I have learned that I should not spend another dime on any of my existing project cars. Give them away/ pay someone to take them and buy a good driving example. I have learned that I will be tens of thousands of dollars and decades of effort further ahead.

Greg

• Haha 1

This is my favorite internet forum, by far.  But, the same rules apply here as anywhere.  Don't enter into a conversation if you aren't sure you're right.  Be prepared to have your remarks challenged by someone who doesn't agree.  Be prepared to hold your tongue when your remarks are challenged.  Arguments on this type of forum can cause current members to stay away, and can cause prospective members to consider looking elsewhere.

If you ask a question that generates no responses, it probably means that no one on the forum is interested in the answer but you.  Don't take it personally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1