What have you learned on the AACA Forum?

trimacar

4 hours ago, Dosmo said:

If you ask a question that generates no responses, it probably means that no one on the forum is interested in the answer but you.  Don't take it personally.

Conversely: If someone asks a question and you spend 30 minutes with your books or walk 100 yards through the snow to get to the shop to look at the car to make sure you're correct and then they never come back with so much as a thanks, don't take it personally. They're the jerk, not you..........Bob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have been on these forums for about 3 weeks now and can tell you that if its not back to 1933 stock factory spec, then you should sell it and buy something that is not original already to modify.... otherwise you offend the old people who rode in them and the classic car gods

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Sactownog said:

I have been on these forums for about 3 weeks now and can tell you that if its not back to 1933 stock factory spec, then you should sell it and buy something that is not original already to modify.... otherwise you offend the old people who rode in them and the classic car gods

You've also received some help and good advice in those three weeks, so glad you're on the forum.

There are many people who think old cars should be enjoyed as they were factory built.

There are many people who think everything should be modernized and that improves a car.

We just need to be tolerant of the different viewpoints,.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2018 at 1:07 PM, 60FlatTop said:

I have learned to practice incredible restraint.

Bernie

When did you start?........ :rolleyes:

(I couldn't let this one go....... :P )

As for humor.......which Bernie seems to have down pat........my favorite words to  live by are "If you can't have fun you might as well be dead".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trimacar said:

You've also received some help and good advice in those three weeks, so glad you're on the forum.

There are many people who think old cars should be enjoyed as they were factory built.

There are many people who think everything should be modernized and that improves a car.

We just need to be tolerant of the different viewpoints,.

oh for sure, I have learned a ton from the very knowledgeable people, I was not meaning that to be rude, more of what has been a large majority of views. however they do state a lot of the time "your car do what you want" which is what everyone should do on these forums and I appreciate it. 

This will get you going.

All 4 door automobiles are bottom dwellers. They have no significant value. Least desirable.

Coups, roadsters, touring cars and victoria body styles are the most collectable.

(I'm being an @&& #**)!+} 

Other than that I LOVE this site and I think I'm addicted to the posts and info that is shared. I have met some AWSOME fellow enthusiasts through this web site. Bought some nice parts. (Got some I need to sell / give away also.} 

Thanks for the moderators and the job they do.

I visit the AACA Forum close to 6 times a day. You get the first click when I open the laptop.

Thanks everyone.

Bill Harmatuk

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cahartley said:

When did you start?........ :rolleyes:

(I couldn't let this one go....... :P )

As for humor.......which Bernie seems to have down pat........my favorite words to  live by are "If you can't have fun you might as well be dead".

Thank you. Coming from Central Wisconsin that means a lot to me. And I'm a guy who even knows the proper pronunciation of Muscoda, spent the night there onest.

Bernie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have learned a lot, and learned to ignore a lot too.   I have learned to respect many posters and just

let the BS pass by.   I've met some nice people on tours and AACA events, and learned that many

that I do know are actual Forum members with pseudonyms.

The knowledge and experience of people on this Forum is an awesome source of both old car fact and opinion whether actual facts or "Alternative facts".  Members who don't read the AACA Forums are really missing a lot of fun and frolic.  I'm hooked on it and driving these antique cars.

100% for sure am hooked to this site, I back in early 2000s I would get on forums, but jumped off them due to the type of people you run into who are computer smart / tough guys. but now that I am a classic car owner, I was given this site as a reference and man, I love it. great info, not to many d-bags. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:38 PM, Sactownog said:

You and perhaps other recent members need to understand that this is a forum for those who love antique cars in their original state. That should be enough for you to understand that the majority of folks here wish to see cars of that age preserved in all respects. This isn't the "Modified Old Cars"  forum, although we try to be tolerant of others who have felt the need to make some changes. This isn't the "Crate Engine is the Best" forum. Nor is it the "Paint Your Car Any Clownish Color You Want" forum. You need to be respectful of the prevailing view here or find another forum. I might suggest the HAMB for example.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

You and perhaps other recent members need to understand that this is a forum for those who love antique cars in their original state. That should be enough for you to understand that the majority of folks here wish to see cars of that age preserved in all respects. This isn't the "Modified Old Cars"  forum, although we try to be tolerant of others who have felt the need to make some changes. This isn't the "Crate Engine is the Best" forum. Nor is it the "Paint Your Car Any Clownish Color You Want" forum. You need to be respectful of the prevailing view here or find another forum. I might suggest the HAMB for example.

And let me just add this... I’ve been on many forums, including The Hamb, and I can tell you that BY FAR, my experience has been that, even when these guys on AACA don’t agree with something, such as a mod, they are the most respectful group I have come across in sharing their opinions. Many of these guys, I suspect, have a modified car or two in their garage, they just go to forums focused on that hobby to discuss them. 

With very few exceptions, this group is a very helpful, polite and respectful one. Some of the smartest, kindest gentleman I’ve met online or in person anywhere. 

I’m going to take a wild guess and say that the age demographics may have something to do with this. Many were born when manners were still in vogue. 

So there’s that... something else that I learned here. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, victorialynn2 said:

I’m going to take a wild guess and say that the age demographics may have something to do with this. Many were born when manners were still in vogue. 

So there’s that... something else that I learned here. 

Or had parents that were... I've met quite a few well mannered young people but in every case, they are a reflection of their parents.

• Like 5

well as my vehicle is stock 1933 I respect the views of all and look forward to any help/insight I can learn from anyone willing to give there opinion. a conversation about all aspects of Dodge are always welcome as I am not bias towards anyone with views or opinions different from mine. 

on that note, good to meet you all and I look forward to conversations in the future. 

• Like 1

Yes restraint is good, but sometimes I don't have it.

I nearly got booted from a British sports car forum for telling a guy that if he could afford to buy the car then he should have enough money to buy a used $50 factory repair manual on Ebay that would answer all his questions since it took to long to explain.  I did receive warning points that identified me as a criminal to everyone on the forum.

Edited by Vila
miss spelling (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Many were born when manners were still in vogue

And, I'd add, many were born when spanking was still in vogue.  Amazing how that will make one respectful of others.  Now, people think it "teaches violence", which is silly.

I think the "all four door cars" comment could have been on my list of tongue-in-cheek things I've learned.

I think I'd add one more, from all the "wish it were closer" comments.  I've learned that how attractive a deal looks to you on a car is in inverse proportion to how close the car is to you, in other words, all the best deals are on the opposite coast, no matter where you live....I think I've said that correctly!

Oh, shucks, one more.....I've learned that all cars ran when parked, and even if that parking took place 50 years ago, the seller will claim "it should start right up....."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vila said:

I nearly got booted from a British sports car form for telling a guy that if he could afford to buy the car then he should have enough money to buy a used $50 factory repair manual on Ebay that would answer all his questions since it took to long to explain.  I did receive warning points that identified me as a criminal to everyone on the forum

HAW HAW HAW. I said the same thing here to some Brit sports car guy a while back. He got his knickers all in a wad. Maybe it was the same guy.  Sadly I don't think I got any warning points.................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2018 at 6:29 PM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

the old people who rode in them and the classic car gods

Those terms are interchangeable, no need to write both.

And, manners were never in vogue, they were taught by parents. I would have better manners, but my Dad bowled one night a week.

Bernie

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Those terms are interchangeable, no need to write both.

And, manners were never in vogue, they were taught by parents. I would have better manners, but my Dad bowled one night a week.

Bernie

Sorry, Bernie, but that quote came from someone other than me. 

• 2 years later...

I have learned that I am the smartest person on this site and everybody else is stupid. Or is it that I am the most stupid person on this site and everyone else is smart?😉

I have asked for advice and received wonderful answers and I have given advice that, (at least I think), was excellent advice.🤥

I guess that it is all in the way you read the posts!😁

All that being said, if you are offended by someone's post, maybe you read it wrong.🔁

`

Overall this is the most positive, decent, helpful, and entertaining interactive site I visit on line.................the people here are fantastic, it's too bad we couldn't have a giant meet where we all show up without cars and just drink beer and tell lies......now THAT would be a party!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Vila +1

"All 4 door automobiles are bottom dwellers" except for suicide doors.

Came here from the Reatta forum. After 20 years I still have it.

Perhaps "General Discussion" should be split into pre and post WWII.

For me and again "in general" interesting cars began in 1963 when GM introduced the alternator.

Am biased since worked for GM and remember many cars when they were new and what the oddball GM engineers though of them (and Bill Neely - "not even safe in the driveway").

Do think what people like in cars depends on where they live. 55" of rain a year (most in 3 months) and 100 days of 90F/90% tends to affect your idea of a comfortable car.

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Vila +1

"All 4 door automobiles are bottom dwellers" except for suicide doors.

Came here from the Reatta forum. After 20 years I still have it.

Perhaps "General Discussion" should be split into pre and post WWII.

For me and again "in general" interesting cars began in 1963 when GM introduced the alternator.

Am biased since worked for GM and remember many cars when they were new and what the oddball GM engineers though of them (and Bill Neely - "not even safe in the driveway").

Do think what people like in cars depends on where they live. 55" of rain a year (most in 3 months) and 100 days of 90F/90% tends to affect your idea of a comfortable car.

Yet those in the Northeast have to park our cars for 6 months of the year, not to include poor summer spring or fall weather and yet we still buy old open cars with no creature comforts. 

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

.................the people here are fantastic, it's too bad we couldn't have a giant meet where we all show up without cars and just drink beer and tell lies......now THAT would be a party!

I believe that the giant meet you described usually takes place at Fall Hershey after 5:00 PM in the Flea Market (except for this year).  😁

On 1/9/2018 at 8:05 AM, trimacar said:

What have you learned on this sight? (see below if you question my spelling)  Here's my list:

THINGS I’VE LEARNED ON THE AACA FORUM

The best and most relevant advice you can give a would-be seller is “call Jay Leno”.

A car in a nice metal building with fluorescent lights can be called a barn find. 

Leaving the dust, dirt, and pigeon droppings on a found car tremendously increases the value of said car.

Every unidentified car in a picture is a Ford.  If it’s not a Ford, then it’s a Packard.

The forum is on a sight, not a site.  There are breaks on car, not brakes (oh, wait, this might actually be  correct, old cars do break).   There, there, they’re selling their car. Some grammar is unexceptable.  Accept mine.

No matter how fine a restoration is, when pictures are posted of the finished car, someone will say something like:  “well, it’d be a nice car if that flabberdash crickpat were rotated ten degrees clockwise, like its supposed to be, ruins the whole car”.

An Antique Automobile forum can allow the words “computer”, “module”, and “electronic” to be posted. Oh, and "error codes".....

6 volt batteries never worked, and it wasn’t until 12 volt batteries became commonplace that everyone got to work on time.

Two wheel brakes don’t work, so they should be upgraded to: Four wheel brakes, but they don’t work, so should be upgraded to:  Hydraulic brakes, but darn, they don’t work because they are:  Drum brakes.  Thank goodness disc brakes were invented or we’d never be able to stop.

Funny and unfortunately pretty true from what I have seen too. 

On 1/11/2018 at 8:45 AM, Bill Harmatuk said:

This will get you going.

All 4 door automobiles are bottom dwellers. They have no significant value. Least desirable.

Coups, roadsters, touring cars and victoria body styles are the most collectable.

(I'm being an @&& #**)!+} 

Other than that I LOVE this site and I think I'm addicted to the posts and info that is shared. I have met some AWSOME fellow enthusiasts through this web site. Bought some nice parts. (Got some I need to sell / give away also.} 

Thanks for the moderators and the job they do.

I visit the AACA Forum close to 6 times a day. You get the first click when I open the laptop.

Thanks everyone.

Bill Harmatuk

Actually, 4 door sedans are very lovely cars and the bulk of AACA, CCCA, ACD, Ford and ... club  membership - aka just about every Club is based on sedan ownership.  That said though, the mere volume and ... matched to top not going down (aka rarity of rarity) also effects price. The wooden wheeled base model 1929 whatever may be actually more desirable than the "restored" wire wheel side-mounted X, but the wooden wheels when they get to certain periods always tend to "haunt" cars.  There are also 100K sedans (and the convertibles at 200K) and there are 750K sedans (and the convertibles go for 1.5MM).   Basically, just the World of supply and demand based matched to rarity/scarcity, great "looks", and ...  On the flip side of the coin are such as Convertible 40's Lincoln Continentals and while rare new it seems every single one was saved and as a result there is more supply than demand matched to a Club that covers too many years. 

A PRE-WII Car Discussion:

Here is my advice:  Something darker and rich - you can never go wrong with Maroons, Blues, or Black.  

Stay away from circus wagon tu-tone colors with HUGE contrast. 

I often preach in contradiction to my rules as to historically significant cars that have been known to be certain colors when new and/or have been certain colors for eons and are well know for those colors (Yes, a Green Duesenberg that was Green new or has been Green for past 70 years is OK - may not get you top dollar, but is probably important to leave Green and OK).  

Here is from my Pre-WWII  automobile sales experience as to what you "take a hit on" in sale and the savvy buyer even if they love the color they will still tell you they hate it or they are aware of the problem and expect a hit when they go to sell:

No White on a car Pre WWII

It is not easy being Green = EVER

No Tan/Brown with Orange wheels (I have been going with Maroon wheels on things as often too expensive to repaint)

Greys are pretty, but a lot of people object and they cars usually do not win awards

Stay around Brown has issues

Old Man Gold has issues

Resale Red has certain applications it is fine on and others NOT SO FINE ON

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JACK M said:

I learned that some of us have to much to say and some of us don't have enough to say.

I noticed this with a 1931 Cadillac in recent discussion - sure the colors are not best for resale, but the restoration is OUTSTANDING and there are literally only a handful done to this CCCA and CCCA top score level (in the big or small scheme of it few cars would ever be restored or shown to this level - it is a major undertaking in any restoration) - so you overlook the flaws and get yourself a FINE car.   And, then there is a Cord in current discussions that was priced reasonably "in my opinion to sell without hassle"  and everyone started jumping on it as to what is wrong with it (other than probably an elderly owner who is possibly "out of touch").

Some of the words on here to describe a part ( but even more so on e bay) is that any and everything is RARE or VERY RARE. My own definition for that word is Really Annoying Regarding Everything.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2018 at 8:05 AM, trimacar said:

No matter how fine a restoration is, when pictures are posted of the finished car, someone will say something like:  “well, it’d be a nice car if that flabberdash crickpat were rotated ten degrees clockwise, like its supposed to be, ruins the whole car”.

PUT THE LANDAU IRONS ON THE CAR PROPERLY - NO EXCEPTIONS EXCEPTED EVER !!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

PUT THE LANDAU IRONS ON THE CAR PROPERLY - NO EXCEPTIONS EXCEPTED EVER !!!

I can be a finicky perfectionist when it comes to calling out details sometimes.

• Like 1