Monday June 13th a special day for Walt G

SC38dls

Seventy Three years ago tomorrow your friend and mine ( I say that with pride) was born! He is a teacher, artist, historian and auto related memorabilia and printed material collector. He is a kind, caring gentleman always willing to share his knowledge and vast information from his collections. His artistic talent has been seen in many CCCA books and as a teacher he influenced numerous young people in the art classroom for many years. He doesn’t like being in the spotlight as you all probably know but sometimes we just have to give recognition for being a wonderful friend and good person. So please wish Walt G a happy birthday. 
dave s 

ps- please don’t tell him who let the cat out of the bag, I don’t want him mad at me. 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Wow !!!

Only 73 ??

Wishing our dear, and respected friend Walt G only the best on this anniversary of his natal day !

Happy Birthday, Walt.

• Like 1

I hope tomorrow is a great day Walt. May your Buick and Packard start on the first crank, and may that obscure article or document you are looking for magically be found “right where you thought it was”. 

thanks for the help you give to all of us, and a special thanks for the help you have given me. 

• Like 1

• SC38dls changed the title to Monday June 13th a special day for Walt G

Happy Birthday Walt G  enjoy your special day, I have never met you in person, but I feel I know you like my brother for your kindness and knowledge and the kind words you have said to me on the forum, from one Nailhead to another Nailhead have fun it's your day.

Bob

• Like 1

Happy Birthday, Walt.  May you have many, many more and continue to share your great knowledge and sweeping library with all us denizens of the Forum!  Personally, I greatly appreciate the material you have sent to me and your generosity in thinking of my interests (and those of many more of us) while perusing your vast literature holdings!

George AKA Grimy

• Like 1

Here's some inspiration to anyone, from Success magazine circa 1902:

You are Always as Young as you Feel

"People grow old by thinking themselves old.  When they reach

the age of forty, fifty, or sixty, they imagine that they look like

others of the same age, and that they soon will be useless,

unfit for work, and unable to perform their wonted duties.

As surely as they think this, it will come true, for thought is

creative.  How many of us can say, with Job, 'The thing which

I greatly feared is come upon me.'

"The time will come when children will not be allowed to

celebrate their birthdays;  when they will know that, by

thinking themselves young, they will remain young, and that

they will cease to grow old when they cease to believe in

old age.  The body is built up of beliefs, and our convictions

are stamped on every fibre of our beings.  What we believe,

what we think, that we are;  so people who remain young

in spirit never grow old.

"Not one of a hundred students, of whom the writer was one, 

under Oliver Wendell Holmes, at Harvard, ever thought of him

as an old man, although he had then passed his eightieth

birthday.  His spirit was so young, and he was so buoyant, 

so fresh and full of life, that we always thought of him as one

of ourselves.  His vivacity and joyousness were contagious.

You could not be in his presence five minutes without feeling

brighter and better for it.  The genial doctor never practiced

medicine, yet he did more to relieve human suffering than

many practicing physicians.  His presence was a tonic;

it was a perpetual delight to be near him."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This is all a little unsettling - very neat to read this every bit, and I sincerely appreciate everything being said , but I gave up celebrating birthdays years ago, do not like attention , being in the spotlight. There are more interesting things to focus on.

In about a week I will be out of touch for a while here, as I have to have surgery and it will put my left shoulder out of commission for a bit and getting any sleep will be a chore as well. I will be back eventually. At least plan to.

W

5 minutes ago, Walt G said:

This is all a little unsettling - very neat to read this every bit, and I sincerely appreciate everything being said , but I gave up celebrating birthdays years ago, do not like attention , being in the spotlight. There are more interesting things to focus on.

In about a week I will be out of touch for a while here, as I have to have surgery and it will put my left shoulder out of commission for a bit and getting any sleep will be a chore as well. I will be back eventually. At least plan to.

W

@BobinVirginia is recovering from major shoulder surgery and may be able to tell you what to expect and tell you what to do/not do,  Walt, take good care of yourself!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All the best Walt to someone I see as a pillar of this forum and a joy to read each time, as your passion comes through and you legacy grows. As a celebration, over past 2 days I read cover to cover AQ Vol 30#4 of summer 1992 which provides a comprehensive history of Fred and Augie Duesenberg and their great contributions to engine development, early racing, and stunning automobiles (with articles by Randy Ema, George Moore, Fred Roe, David Holls, Dwight Schooling, Freeman, Okeefe and Snyder). As many may realize the D brothers struggled financially throughout their lives but left an immeasurable legacy. Passion can do that. 

11 hours ago, Walt G said:

W

Walt, I hope all goes well with your surgery. I had multiple issues worked on and hopefully you don’t need the collar bone cut like mine. Getting comfortable enough to sleep can be tricky indeed. 
The bright side of my down time has been taking in plenty of automotive content. Thanks to @Grimy I now have a Dykes Manual to read through along with other fantastic books! Super great gifts I’m enjoying while sidelined from actual car work. 

I check in on the forum a couple times a day and if you get bored, I’m available for a chat whilst sitting on my arse. Thanks for all you contribute here and hopefully you’ll be back soon! Take care and I hope all goes well!! 

• Like 3

Thanks everyone, the out pouring of good wishes is totally overwhelming. As I have mentioned - way to much attention for me .  The surgery is to replace a pace maker, have had that done for the battery about a decade ago and it was "ok" but all that was before other surgery the end of 2017. I just want recovery to go fast but know it won't at the pace I want it to. "Resting" and being idle to heal will drive me crazy, No, I don't watch a lot of TV - only for news to see the weather conditions.

• Like 2

Happy Birthday Walt! If you don't want to celebrate, I think the rest of the group is happy to celebrate in your honor. You provide us with the presents every time you share a post! Best of luck on your upcoming restoration. I'm not much of a tv person myself but there are some interesting things to watch on still. Just last night I watched a documentary about the USS Macon for instance. 

• Thanks 1

Happy Birthday Walt, looking forward to spending time together at Hershey again this fall.

Terry

• Like 1