Your vintage car accident?

Flivverking

Who has had any accidents with their or others vintage car,involving another car,or singularly and what was the damage and outcome.?

1) In my early teens(early '70s) driving a '29 Ford Woody in winter on a glazed snow packed road, late afternoon ,going too fast ,the car lost it's grip.

I did a 360 and ran off the road ,over a low stone wall.

I was shaken ,but was able to free the car and drive home..A bent right side front axle and spindle was the damage.

I fixed it,but drove on it till spring.

2) In my late teens(17) I was passsenger(was driver eariler) in a 10,000 mile original 1935 Packard, sandwiched inbetween 5 drunk ministers(relgion we will leave out)

,comming back from a clergy convention, late night ,after a BAR stop ,between Hartford Conn. and Springfield Mass.

we were rear-ended by a drunk hick at high speed on a dark road.

The rear end ,trunk and all related bits was stoved in HARD .We in the front ,hit the dash and  floor as the 3 white collared men in black were thrown over the front seat.

Bashed up faces,minor cuts  and bloody noses was the worst..

The Packard condsidered totaled.

The car was bought back from the insurance company and repaired professionally  with 100 % NOS parts and paint.It took ten years .The cost, 3 times what the car sold for 5 years later after repair.

We will leave any comments on why a 17 year old was with 5 drunken ministers for a convention for another conversation..Sounds icky,doesn't it.

Read my book,"Antique Automobiles and the Creeps that own them".

Just kidding..lol.

3) in my early 20's I was hit in the left rear quarter (tailgate/fender) in my '33Ford B pickup and spun 180 at an intersection on a rainy afternoon in the country by a teen speeder with no insurance.

The rear fender torn off and tail lamp demolished .

We agreeed to go on our way .

I repaired the fender with a fiberjob and found a NOS tail light and bracket..

4) in my late 20's I was re-ended at a stop sign in New Haven Ct. In a '47 Chrysler(Big Red).. No damage to the Chrysler but for light bumper bar over rider,scratches.

The plow horse of an old Chevy Maibu with ,sad sack chain smoker looking for a cig, was so down and out and stinky with a now wrecked front grill..I went on my way and didn't give it another thought.

My vintage traffic wrecks were pretty light overall.

Contemporary car accidents are another topic.

• Like 1

I crashed my 38 into the rear of a Mercedes. Hagerty originally wanted to total it but worked with me so I got to keep the car and did not get a salvage title. I ended up fixing it with the help of over 50 AACA forum members. 
dave s

• Like 7

My accident was on August 1st, 2021.

DSCF8789.JPG.24b0955a5015491abecde1456f7bf99c.JPGFifteen minutes and eight miles before the accident.

2020 Lincoln jumped a stop sign. We were T-Boned. A person on his right (facing east) waved him through the intersection (no stop sign) on the east west road as I was driving west (no stop sign) between 35 and 40 mph. WHAMM!!!!! 

20210801_184105.jpg.d0187456a176fb0aed68f72cdf3e77de.jpgWe were spun 180 degrees. The crushed door and torn left rear fender pinched/flattened the rear tire /bent the rim and bent the axle.

Thank God we were not seriously injured. My wife a bruise from the door arm rest. I received a scrape on my forehead from the visor and a scrape on my knee from the heater knob under the dash.

Impact also popped the trunk open causing to spew all its contents over the road.

20210801_184048.jpg.e270b8afbdc78fa091c0d7bfcf01ccac.jpgOther than this damage the driver's door and front fender were damaged the rest of the car was unaffected.

188667446_20210801_185434-Copy.jpg.d044a4868f2a04e2bfb3c94e58780fb5.jpg

After nearly 4 months the other fellow's insurance carrier finally settled. For a full total settlement, I had to get the title changes to a Salvage. That took close to 8 weeks here in PA.

In January I was able to sell it as a parts car to a gentleman in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

thumbnail_IMG_7477.jpg.de79db655d4ceb5127feb08e7a5d804a.jpg

Me taking a last look after nearly 35 years ownership.

Quite a chore loading it on the Conestoga carrier with a bent rear axle.

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Myself and a couple of other guys bought a 38 Plymouth together when we were in high school. (it was like eight bucks each)

We ran the crap out of that old thing and one afternoon after a few beers and to fast on a tight corner rolled out into a field.

I was in the back seat.

No injuries and four of us teenagers were able to right it.

Gathered up all the tools that were scattered out from the trunk and drove off.

I moved not to long after that and dont know what ever became of the car.

16 years old and me and a couple buddies were out playing Halloween pranks, egging houses and such. One homeowner didn't appreciate our shenanigans and jumped in his car and took off after us. I was going WAY too fast when I hit that sharp curve in the dirt road and we all went thru the fence in my '57 Ford. BUSTED!

A few years later my buddies said I had too much to drink and one demanded to drive my '68 442 Olds instead of me. Within 5 minutes HE had run off the road into a small clump of trees beating up the Olds pretty bad.

But of the above got fixed and went on to other owners.

We’ll , my accident caused no damage to my car , but,,,,, I was not so lucky. 
lats summer I was setting the tappets on my 29 Hudson. I was setting them hot so of course I was in hurry so I left the plugs in. 
a little history first, a few months before my son and his friend had taken the original hand crank to do something it wasn’t intended for and lost it. So I again “ quickly “ fabbed up one to set the tappets with. It fit OKish in the crank pin. 
Now, back to the accident…the distributor on the hudson is right up front. Myself being 6’-4” tall , can just peer over the rad shell whilst just being able to reach the crank handle at the lowest position possible to bring it up on compression while I stretch my neck to peer over the rad to watch the rotor point to the correct position to set that tappet. I had already done 10 of the tappets with only 2 to go. 
We’ll three things got me into trouble, being in hurry , leaving the plugs in and a poorly made crank handle. 
Because I had set 10 tappets already my hands were oily.  I pulled up on the second to last tappet to set on the compression stroke craning my neck over the rad and …… my hand slipped off the crank handle and my face went straight into the top of the 29’s big 12” headlight. I smashed out 6 of my front teeth. Not fun. 
My dad was in the shop working on one of his E4’s and looked at me across the shop with blood running out of my mouth and said “ what did you do that for ?”  I went to sink and ran my mouth in the tap for many minutes. Spit out some teeth, pulled some dangling ones out. I went back and finished the tappets , started the quite motor and parked the Hudson.  Then I went to emergency. I’m still dealing with dental surgeons and have a ways to go before I’m fixed. I’ll be in for over 20k by the time they are done. That 20 k would have gone a long ways in some paint and Crome on one of my other Hudson’s. 
That’s my accident story. 

• Like 1

On a nice sunny day, I was taking my 1969 Mercury Cougar out for a drive. I was stopped at an intersection waiting for the light to change.

Was the first car waiting to turn. Had just barely took my foot off the brake and started to move forward when BAM! out of nowhere came this guy in a Ford Pinto who decided he needed to run the light. Lucky for me I wasn't a little bit further ahead or I may not be writing this now. Am a LOT more aware when pulling out from a light now.

Had her repaired by someone I thought I could trust but found out later how inept the repairs were done. Lesson learned.

front view.jpg

side view.jpg

We did some insurance work on a '55 T Bird several years ago.  The owner drove it to a shopping center.  When he came out a fellow was admiring the car.  After spending several minutes talking about the car he jumped in his pickup and promptly backed into the rear quarter of the Bird.

• Haha 1

What about an extreme close call? I stopped to visit a friend that did welding on cars with my 57 Tbird, about 15 years ago. I parked it prominently out front of his business which was a long closed old gas station.  He asked me if i would steer this old 1939 Chevy coupe out from outback to the front.  It was a junker,  The doors were missing,  so I just stood on what was left of the running board.  Well he tightened the chain up and gave it a slight tug,  It didn't want to move, atleast one of the wheels was locked up, so he backed up and gave it a good pull and kept the pedal right there.  The thing came flying around the corner of the garage with me trying to steer it,  Well you know how well something steers with locked up front wheels.  He was hard of hearing and I was yelling at the top of my lungs to stop as I couldn't steer it.  He finally must have realized it wasn't going where it was suppose to so he let off.  The car came to rest right at an angle at what looked like into the side of my driver's side 1/4.  I swore it had to have hit it and couldn't see as I was on the opposite side with both cars pointed in the same direction.  

I was sick to even take a look.  I thought there was no way it atleast didn't bump my car.  Wouldn't take much for a scaggy old bumper on a 39 Chevy to dig into the 1/4 of a Tbird. 

To my astonishment and relief it missed it.  It had somehow stopped literally less than an inch from my 1/4 at the worst angle it could have impacted the car.  

I still remained friends with the guy but I don't think I ever stopped again to see him at his shop.  

• Like 1

The result of a lady cutting a left in front of me.  No time to react.  Car was on the road less than 6 months after several years of restoration.  

Responding cop said "well, it is a pretty low car".  He was not amused when I asked if he was making excuses for the other driver having their HUA.  

Other driver's insurance company did pay for the repair by a shop of my choice that specialized in LBCs.  

img085.jpg

• Thanks 1

I hit an undercover cop car in an empty parking lot with my dad’s 1966 Impala SS convertible. Racing around the parking lot at night with some high school friends who were in a V8 Monza. Clipped the unmarked cop car when he went after the Monza. My “friends” conveniently disappeared. 

Luckily I hit the very front corner headlight surround and bumper but not the front fender.

I was driving my 62 T-bird late at night outside of Washington DC when I came upon a flipped over VW with the driver laying in the middle of the highway. I stopped before I would run over him and blocked the road. Someone went and called the cops, when they arrived they told me to move my car so the ambulance could get close to the guy. I put it on the shoulder and went back to talk to the cops. Two squad cars, an ambulance a tow truck and a fire truck. One lane was still open and traffic was light. Along comes two girls that had a few too many and started watching what was going on. Instead of heading for the open lane they took the shoulder at about 40-45 mph right onto the back of my Thunderbird with the cop and me standing next to it looking it over. The rear bumper was in the back window. I got a ticket for parking on the highway. The girls got a dui and a ride to jail.  My car was in one county the girls car and the original accident were in another county. The county cop my car was in would not listen to the first county cops. 
I called the police chief and told him I was going to the press unless he dismissed the ticket. It worked but my 62 Bird was totaled. 
dave s 

Since close calls are being accepted, I’ll tell about mine in the hope of saving one of you.  I have, and drive, five brass-era cars.  There was no standardization back then, so each of the five drives differently from each of the other four, and from any modern car.  A few years ago I was on a Snapper’s tour in Indiana with my 1912 Buick.  As usual, I was driving alone.  Ahead of me was an intersection with a green light.  I glanced down at my instructions to confirm that I wasn’t supposed to turn there.  When I looked up, the light was red, and cars were entering the intersection from the sides.  I slammed on the brake, and nothing happened; I kept sailing along.  I hauled the steering wheel hard right and managed to turn with great squealing of tires and honking of horns, but didn’t hit anything.  I used the parking brake to stop, and wondered how I’d achieved a total brake failure, and how I going to get my trailer to retrieve the Buick.

On Buicks of that era, and on E-M-Fs, and Overlands, and probably others, the gas pedal is between the clutch and the brake.  Normally, this is no problem; you get used to it.  But I was making a panic stop, so I lifted my foot from the gas, moved it to the left, and slammed on the - - - clutch!  There was nothing wrong with the brake; there was just a failure of the nut that held the wheel.  I drove the rest of the tour, but less complacently.  Learn from this!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

\On the way to Florida after the 2007 Sentimental Tour in N C with our 34 Ford on a trailer behind our Motor Home, we had mechanical problems with  the Motor Home.

We parked it in a campground and took the 34 to Walmart for supplies.   While i was sitting in the car, a nice little 78 year old woman backed into my right rear fender.

She had insurance with State Farm and asked me not to tell her insurance and to let her pay for the damage.    

When i got home I went to the guy I was going to get to fix it,   Sent the little old lady the bill for $178, and got her check in 3 days.

Now 15 years later, I'm thinking that 78 is not old.  If I did that today i would just take a picture of her drivers license.

• Like 3

accidents are a fact of life,even in beloved hobbies and should be considered..

We and our cars don't live in Disneyworld do we.

..Cars are just tin and exspendable 100 % and there is no loss...what so ever PERIOD!

People ,lives and pain are what counts!

Cars are off the list!

But..Horray for the ones who made out o.k  and did salvage the old bomb.

Anyone who suffered any real loss or pain...you are in our throughts..

I 've been lucky after over a half million miles plus.

• Like 1

Not mine but a HS pal did a very nice stone stock restoration on a 39 Chevy he has to this day 40+ years later.

He bought another one for parts  that was actually borderline, and ended up putting it back on the road with some bondo, a quickie paint job, brakes and tires. 

One day he slid on a fast turn and rolled it, drivers side, roof, pass side.  He was unhurt but said it was a helluva ride.

Tried to get a group of college guys passing by to help right it.  They wouldn't and the local PD eventually showed up and cited him for speeding or something, and a tow truck came and righted it.  He reconnected thd battery and drove it home, and for another couple of years before parting it out.  He contemplated trying to repair the body but every panel was toast including the roof.

He drives the good 39 like an old lady these days... 😉😁

• Like 2

I have had three accidents in my first '31 Dodge Brothers coupe. Once while pulling into our garage my brakes failed and I ran into a refrigerator that my Dad was saving for some reason. He was NOT happy with me.

The second time I had an accident in the '31 was when I decided to drag race my buddy who had a rear engine car. I think it was a Renault. We were going down a side street behind our high school and I was ahead (he had a four cylinder car and mine is a six). I pumped my brakes for the 'S' turn and stop sign at the end of the street and my buddy pulled around me and stopped in front of me. Since my tires are only 4" wide, I skidded and rammed the back of his car wrapping the sheet metal around his engine. He felt pretty stupid for cutting me off because he knew I would have a tough time stopping. The story he told his folks was that he came out to the student parking lot to find his car wrecked. They believed him.

The third and last time to have an accident in that car was when I was returning to our home from work in the rain at night. A guy in a 1972 LTD was stopping traffic in order to cross the street I was on. I stopped for him. As soon as he got directly in front of me, a Chevy Impala rear ended my '31. I shot forward just as the LTD was pulling out of my way. When I got out of my car, the guy who hit me asked how he could ever repay me for hitting my car. I looked at his Impala to see the headlights crushed up against the engine and told him he has enough trouble fixing his own car and I drove away. The damage to the spare tire rack was the worst part about the wreck. It took me about 20 years to find another wood wheel style, rear tire rack. The bumperettes were crooked, but it was only from loose bolts. Luckily, not bent.

• Like 1

I did see a guy (along with a dozen other folks) back his 2005-ish MB SLK (MG size version of a Mercedes SL, how do you miss with something that small!?) into a beautiful old MB 190 SL at a club outing once.  He was sick about it, but the 190 owner took it in stride.  Very minimal damage and he was more than gracious about it, a real gentleman.

Anything can happen anywhere.

It happens in one's own yard too. 😘

In one of its many incarnations, our 1929 International-come shortened snowplow farm doodlebug truck as I bought it when 13 yrs old was ready for another test drive as a flat bed open speedster when son headed down the hill, himself about 13 then. Of course, Maw was driving up the hill in the '91 Baretta at the same time. Smack!

Bent the front frame horn. Of course, we didn't have any more than one-wheel brakes on the IH yet.

An old friend wonders what his truck made of "kindling" (wood cab & box Ford TT) will do if he ever gets hit when out for a slow cruise.

One thing we die hard vintage drivers have/ do is have an even more heightened awareness of whats around us ,above what we normally have in modern cars,which is not a bad thing.

And not to be so skiddish , paranoid, milktoast ,as not to drive the vintage car...Or excessively concerned with the investment,in fear of a scratch. In this last regard your an absolute fool to put any money into an old car at all then.

..It's idiotic not to enjoy it.

Not me but my son.Like a fool I let him borrow my 35 Buick for his jr.prom.I was worried the whole time.All went well without incident until he got home and went to park it in the garage.He ran into the driveway gates post and messed up the passenger side fender. He paid to have it repaired and had a night to remember.I later found out he had seven other kids in the car with him! I wasnt happy about that.

On 2/19/2022 at 8:02 PM, Flivverking said:

Who has had any accidents with their or others vintage car,involving another car,or singularly and what was the damage and outcome.?

1) In my early teens(early '70s) driving a '29 Ford Woody in winter on a glazed snow packed road, late afternoon ,going too fast ,the car lost it's grip.

I did a 360 and ran off the road ,over a low stone wall.

I was shaken ,but was able to free the car and drive home..A bent right side front axle and spindle was the damage.

I fixed it,but drove on it till spring.

2) In my late teens(17) I was passsenger(was driver eariler) in a 10,000 mile original 1935 Packard, sandwiched inbetween 5 drunk ministers(relgion we will leave out)

,comming back from a clergy convention, late night ,after a BAR stop ,between Hartford Conn. and Springfield Mass.

we were rear-ended by a drunk hick at high speed on a dark road.

The rear end ,trunk and all related bits was stoved in HARD .We in the front ,hit the dash and  floor as the 3 white collared men in black were thrown over the front seat.

Bashed up faces,minor cuts  and bloody noses was the worst..

The Packard condsidered totaled.

The car was bought back from the insurance company and repaired professionally  with 100 % NOS parts and paint.It took ten years .The cost, 3 times what the car sold for 5 years later after repair.

We will leave any comments on why a 17 year old was with 5 drunken ministers for a convention for another conversation..Sounds icky,doesn't it.

Read my book,"Antique Automobiles and the Creeps that own them".

Just kidding..lol.

3) in my early 20's I was hit in the left rear quarter (tailgate/fender) in my '33Ford B pickup and spun 180 at an intersection on a rainy afternoon in the country by a teen speeder with no insurance.

The rear fender torn off and tail lamp demolished .

We agreeed to go on our way .

I repaired the fender with a fiberjob and found a NOS tail light and bracket..

4) in my late 20's I was re-ended at a stop sign in New Haven Ct. In a '47 Chrysler(Big Red).. No damage to the Chrysler but for light bumper bar over rider,scratches.

The plow horse of an old Chevy Maibu with ,sad sack chain smoker looking for a cig, was so down and out and stinky with a now wrecked front grill..I went on my way and didn't give it another thought.

My vintage traffic wrecks were pretty light overall.

Contemporary car accidents are another topic.

Remind me not to ride with you! 🙄

I had an old International pickup that had spent its life (before me) on the farm. Somehow the front bumper & grille remained almost perfect. My wife, forgetting I was parked behind her, managed to mangle the bumper in the driveway. Meanwhile...I had the truck in the parking lot at my shop. My dad had left an old, rotten sheet of plywood laying there for some reason. As I stood there watching one windy afternoon a gust lifted the wood and tossed it right into that grille. Drats!

Cases like dibarlaw posted are the ones that really hurt my feelings; while handling a total loss on a later model car today (by photos) I noticed a nice looking 2-tone coupe in the background, 50ish GM something, hit in the front. Hate that.

• 9 months later...

Well, not an accident, but my 1946 Ford Station Wagon was attacked and stabbed. I was in my driveway washing my car getting it ready for a local car show, kneeling down on the drivers side, cleaning a whitewall. I heard someone screaming "help me he is going to kill me". I looked up and saw a 13 year old boy running up my street and when he saw me he ran into my driveway, past me and into my garage. He was bleeding from his mouth and shaking. It was then I saw a man walking up my driveway with a large Bowie knife in his hand and I called out for him to stop. With that he raised the knife and said "I'll kill you and the kid". I yelled to the kid to run into my house and tell my wife to call 911 and I followed the kid but stopped at my front door and told the aggressor that the police were on their way. With that he said, "this is what I have for the police" and stabbed and broke the windshield, ripped off a cowl mirror and drove the knife into the whitewall, $2700 in damages. The police caught the man and said he was off his medication for three day's and was out of his mind. The boy and his friend's were playing Lacrosse at a nearby school field and they were attacked by this maniac. Well it started out as attempted murder with a deadly weapon and after several court dates it was downgraded to simple menacing and the madman was released.

Happens to the best of us.  I had a small Toyota run a red light in 1992 and I T-boned him in the middle of the intersection with my 34 Plymouth.  Hit him dead on the driver's side front axle and knocked him quite a ways.  I tromped on the brakes as soon as I saw him but couldn't stop in time--my Plymouth stood up on its nose so hard from the braking and impact that my rear 'silent U' spring shackles flipped over.  Thanks to the late Mike Smith, I was able to get the front end parts (fenders, grille, etc.) that are still on the car today.

The attached photo is of a 34 PE Convertible Coupe driven by President Roosevelt's son that was involved in a crash, I believe with a street car.  Happens to the best of us.

roosevelt 34 convert.jpg

Witnessing the air born Hudson convertible launch off the end of a hard turn. And go flying into a ravine, is pretty high on the list of unbelievable things that were 100% avoidable. But peoples desire not to listen to what others had to say. Almost got someone killed that day. Destroyed the car, the whole day moved in slow motion. You could see it coming.

• Like 1

I’ve been lucky over 50 years of driving old cars, no major issues.

I lived in Camden, S.C. In the early 1970s, and went to a car show in Charlotte, N.C., about 60 miles away.  I’m not a big Ford guy, but there was a beautiful, all original, 1940 two door sedan for sale, and I bought it.

Drove it back to Camden, it was a low mileage car and ran and drove beautifully (it was only 30 years old!).

Drove it for a while, one night I had it parked on the street outside my apartment.  Knock on the door, police, a lady had hit the car in the worst possible place, back of drivers door and post.  Settled for a sum then sold car, I was so upset.

Not me, had a very nice 260Z, one of many 240/260/280 I owned.  One of my daughters borrowed it, lost control and head on into a tree.  Totaled car. She’s ok but laying in the hospital, she says she’s fine as was her passenger, and oh yeah the two girls in the back are ok too.  IN THE BACK??  It was a two seater, not a 2+2, so little room back there. All I could think were lawsuits coming our way, but luckily only very minor scrapes and no repercussions.

• Like 3

On 2/21/2022 at 10:31 AM, Zimm63 said:

The result of a lady cutting a left in front of me.  No time to react.  Car was on the road less than 6 months after several years of restoration.  

Responding cop said "well, it is a pretty low car".  He was not amused when I asked if he was making excuses for the other driver having their HUA.  

Other driver's insurance company did pay for the repair by a shop of my choice that specialized in LBCs.  

img085.jpg

Google with their Billions of dollars can't tell me what a HUA is. What is it?

• Haha 1

I've never been, thank god, but as a fireman / Fire Chief back in the '80s and '90s, I seen my share... the stories that are listed above, gave me a flashback to an incident involving a '73 Buick Electra and a mid '80s Honda Civic - head-on collision. When I pull up to the scene of the accident, it didn't look good for the Honda, the car had massive damage to the front end, while the Buick suffered minor. Long story short, that Honda absorb the impact of the collision ( crumple zone ) and unfortunately the driver of the Buick absorbed the impact.

Be careful while driving these beautiful antiques !

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have never been in any car wreck/accident thank God.  But accidents have always happened , even when the "antique" cars we now covet were new.  Many years ago I had access to a commercial photographers negatives that were being trashed. He was in Mineola, NY and used to photograph the car crashes for newspaper stories . All of this in the late 1930s to 1940s era.  I had prints made off the 4 x 5 inch negatives and used many in a story I wrote decades ago for Special Interest Autos magazine. for Editor/Publisher Mike Lamm who was a great friend. Some amazing cars got involved in crashes when new. Here is one of the photos .

FordCrashmodelA.jpg

Edited by Walt G
added photo (see edit history)
  • Like 2