Your vintage car accident?

Flivverking

I did wreck my MGBGT back in the 1973 before the car qualified for AACA.  I lady in a Pontiac Grand Prix blew a stop sign just as we entered the intersection I hit her doing about 50 right in the middle of her driver/back door. Destroyed the MG front end so much so two guys came running to see if we were dead or try to get us out of it. My wife hurt her leg and my shoulder was sore, otherwise we were OK.  The Pontica was totaled also but the lady was not hurt which was amazing. Turned out as a very exciting day for when we had my wife checked out we found out she was pregant with our daughter that we had no idea was happening.

dave s 

1 hour ago, West Peterson said:

Walt

If these are yours, I apologize.

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 2.25.15 PM.png

1932 Packard Deluxe Eight dual-cowl phaeton.

Thanks, Walt

One thing these old wreck photos provide is some detail information not normally seen with factory shots. This car is just two years old, so we could assume it has original paint (not always the case). If the paint is original, to me it is very interesting to see that the door jams appear to be painted the same color as the upholstery, or black (or possibly in this case, both are correct). I'd bet a crisp two dollar bill that all restored cars have body colored jams. 

Walt. Do you have any insight on this?

West ,

I need to think on this a little while. Some years ago I had a long discussion about this with some friends. Packard used to paint the door jambs black no matter what the color of the fenders or body I believe but this may have been for the 7th series of 1930 where it started. How long it lasted I do not know. . I may have some photos of the cars with the doors open - this was on touring cars only . Again my memory may be a bit fuzzy so I am not standing tall and stamping my foot yelling "listen to me I know dis stuff".

In 1928 the door jambs were painted body color as seen here in an image from the 1928 Packard accessory catalog in my collection. ( I will look in the other Packard accessory catalogs I have to see if anything like this shows up - I have a run of them from about 1920 to 1942. )

This may be distracting from this topic so if I find something we can start another topic on classic oddities or something like that.

Walt

1928Packardtonneaushield004.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, did some digging for photos ( I have way to much stuff to wade through even though it is reasonably well organized) Here is a 1930 7th series Packard 7 passenger touring car - note the oval exterior door handles used on the 7 passenger open touring cars . I really like those oval door handles as it makes me think of a link to horse drawn carriage coachwork . ( yes that car pictured with my name is a 7 passenger) . Note the upholstery is not black .

1930Packardtouringrearseat areadoor open007.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 5

On 12/14/2022 at 9:45 AM, West Peterson said:

A friend went in the ditch and hit a guard rail with his 1934 Packard Twelve individual custom convertible sedan.

Dietrich Packard Wreck.jpg

I'm sure the auction catalog will read "restored from a great rust free car". More truth in advertising. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2022 at 3:10 PM, paulrhd29nz said:

We’ll , my accident caused no damage to my car , but,,,,, I was not so lucky. 
lats summer I was setting the tappets on my 29 Hudson. I was setting them hot so of course I was in hurry so I left the plugs in. 
a little history first, a few months before my son and his friend had taken the original hand crank to do something it wasn’t intended for and lost it. So I again “ quickly “ fabbed up one to set the tappets with. It fit OKish in the crank pin. 
Now, back to the accident…the distributor on the hudson is right up front. Myself being 6’-4” tall , can just peer over the rad shell whilst just being able to reach the crank handle at the lowest position possible to bring it up on compression while I stretch my neck to peer over the rad to watch the rotor point to the correct position to set that tappet. I had already done 10 of the tappets with only 2 to go. 
We’ll three things got me into trouble, being in hurry , leaving the plugs in and a poorly made crank handle. 
Because I had set 10 tappets already my hands were oily.  I pulled up on the second to last tappet to set on the compression stroke craning my neck over the rad and …… my hand slipped off the crank handle and my face went straight into the top of the 29’s big 12” headlight. I smashed out 6 of my front teeth. Not fun. 
My dad was in the shop working on one of his E4’s and looked at me across the shop with blood running out of my mouth and said “ what did you do that for ?”  I went to sink and ran my mouth in the tap for many minutes. Spit out some teeth, pulled some dangling ones out. I went back and finished the tappets , started the quite motor and parked the Hudson.  Then I went to emergency. I’m still dealing with dental surgeons and have a ways to go before I’m fixed. I’ll be in for over 20k by the time they are done. That 20 k would have gone a long ways in some paint and Crome on one of my other Hudson’s. 
That’s my accident story. 

Wow, Paul. I'm really sorry to learn of your accident. Hope you will soon be totally finished with that ordeal. Happy holiday season to you. 

27 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

The first mobile phone try caused just a little problem. 
dave s 

Nope……no cell phone. Dave was just practicing to wreck the Stude………😎

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I read this thread in full when it was new but didn't comment. I had a picture I wanted to post but couldn't find, but I found it today. This is not me but it sort of led to me existing. In 1968 my dad hit a brick wall with this Chevrolet. He met my mom while he was in the hospital recovering. They ended up getting married two years later and were together up until cancer claimed his life on February 5th, 2002...21 years ago today. 

This accident occured either in or around Peekskill, NY. He had the same license plate on the 55 Bel Air he drag raced at Dover and also daily drove for a while. I believe the 55 replaced this one. The 55 he had was probably not the one barely showing in this photo since his was a dark brownish maroon color with white back half. 

FB_IMG_1675620365640.jpg

Edited by Billy Kingsley (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I just want to say, PLEASE be careful on the road. Spent my career fixing collision damaged vehicles. 

I do not know how to transfer a video here, but Google 1959 Belair 2009 Malibu crash test. You will be amazed at what happens.

There is another video of a late 20s car hitting a flat wall that I remember. 

Not trying to scare just warn.

This is one of those things that I like to ponder from time to time.   The term "museum quality," and it typically refers to an item in pristine condition.   Firearms in particular as an example, but cars as well.  There are very rare and valuable original Colt pistols that have never been fired, much like a perfect car that is never driven.   But how interesting is a 150 year old Colt pistol that has never been out of the box?  A well worn Texas ranger's pistol will have much better stories to tell.  Museum quality often times means that it has never done anything.  

Some of these pictures are nearly heartbreaking.  But what good is a car that spends its life in a heated garage and the occasional trailer ride?

• Like 1

Car ended up as an insurance claim. I did see it on Copart's website in Portland OR a couple of weeks later. Someone bought it for parts. Or a restoration project. It was totaled, about the only thing not busted up was the windshield frame/header. And convertible bows could be saved, maybe used to convert a Hollywood into a convertible? Someone knows the Paul Harvey rest of the story. 

3 hours ago, SC38dls said:

How many parts were you able to salvage from the Hudson after that wreck?

dave s 

The car had nothing to do with me. A customer was going to buy it. Tried to talk him out of it. He agreed to buy it. And as you can see. The deal fell through driving down the road to the trailer.

Deal was made for the car. I refused to drive it down the hill. Stated several times the car has no brakes. Seller drove it down the hill to my trailer. Where purchase would be completed. Car never made it to my trailer. If the two people I was with decided to ride in the car. They most likely could have been killed. They are up there in age. The dent on the leading edge of the dash board was caused by the drivers head. As he was thrown onto the passenger floor board. He did have a big goose egg on his head. But no blood or injuries. Walked up the hill dazed. Crazy how that whole deal unfolded. You could see it coming before the car was even started.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2023 at 2:49 PM, Xander Wildeisen said:

Deal was made for the car. I refused to drive it down the hill. Stated several times the car has no brakes. Seller drove it down the hill to my trailer. Where purchase would be completed. Car never made it to my trailer. If the two people I was with decided to ride in the car. They most likely could have been killed. They are up there in age. The dent on the leading edge of the dash board was caused by the drivers head. As he was thrown onto the passenger floor board. He did have a big goose egg on his head. But no blood or injuries. Walked up the hill dazed. Crazy how that whole deal unfolded. You could see it coming before the car was even started.

Wow!  Quite a story.

• 1 year later...

That sounds like a really scary experience with the vintage car. It's fortunate that nobody was seriously hurt, especially given the lack of brakes. It's always important to prioritize safety, and it's good that you insisted on not driving the car down the hill yourself.
Dealing with unexpected situations like this can be really challenging, but it's great that everyone involved came out of it okay. If you have any concerns about the legal aspects of the accident, especially related to the condition of the car and the actions of the seller, a Longmont drunk driving accident lawyer could offer some valuable advice and guidance.

Edited by EdwardTownsend (see edit history)

I have to wonder; what part of this 2 ton automobile has non-functioning brakes and I need to get it down the hill to the trailer-situation did they not understand?  Did they think it was a physics holiday?