How old was your favorite vintage car, that you own,........

1937McBuick

My favorite car is a 1931 Hupmobile model S 4dr.  It is only 11 years older than me.  When displaying the car, I usually get the question ‘Did you get it new?’  I purchased it in 2000 with 24,000 miles & have driven it 23,000 miles.  It will easily tour at 50 to 55 mpr & can lock the brakes.

D9267065-6AF8-4FF9-B93F-F1C3A5907788.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

I was born 12 1/2 years before my car was built!

Is that akin to "cradle robbing"?

I'm not sure what my relationship to my car is akin too but I've thought of divorcing it many many times.....I've come to the realization that I will lose less money if I keep it.....  even though I love to hate it at times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

I'm four years older. I can't say that I remember the car when it was brand new as I didn't move into the neighborhood until it was 3 years old when I saw it for the first time.

Craig

What is It?

Is it behind the guy in your Avatar picture?

Edited by 1937McBuick (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, 1937McBuick said:

What is It?

Is it behind the guy in your Avatar picture?

1964 Studebaker Daytona. 

I bought it in 1976.  I first saw it in August, 1967, and I am the still the second owner of it.

Craig

• Like 1

My current old vehicle fleet includes 2 1959's, 1 '62, 2 '63's, 2 64's, 1 '65, and ME(?), I'm a '66 model, so they are ALL older than me!

• Like 2

I was spawned almost to a date 30 years after my Roadster’s assembly was finished and I was born almost exactly 10 years after its (current) engine block was casted.

Coincidences ?

• Like 1

I could never pick between the two pre-war cars I own since both of them have so much family history behind them.  Although Capt. Eddie's insignia is my avatar for this site.

One of them was 41 years old and the other was 44 years old by the time I was hatched.

Both of them have been in the family longer than I have, the Rickenbacker being purchased by my Dad about a year before the Pierce was purchased by my Grandfather.

I grew up riding around in them and tinkering with them.

As a kid, I always loved the look, the smell and the sounds of a pre-war car.

I always marveled at the craftsmanship it took to build one given the limited technology of the time.

The old car I put the most miles on, by far, was the '64 Malibu SS Convertible I sold last year.

The car was 3 years older than I am and was 22 years old when I purchased it.

It was my daily driver for at least 10 years.

• Like 1

This has been fun,  thanks to everyone who posted something so far.  I've enjoyed the various replies.

What a fun bunch of enthusiasts.    Hard for me to make a comedic reply to everyone so this the "blanket thank you"  for up to now and in advance....

Anyone else?

Take care.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1937McBuick said:

This has been fun,  thanks to everyone who posted something so far.  I've enjoyed the various replies.

What a fun bunch of enthusiasts.    Hard for me to make a comedic reply to everyone so this the "blanket thank you"  for up to now and in advance....

Anyone else?

Take care.

Fun thread. Good idea

• Like 1

My dad collected vintage cars of all makes for 60 years.  They came and went throughout that time but the one that he kept for over 50 years (and I now have) was his 1927 Auburn 6-66.  Dad and the car were both registered in British Columbia in December, 1926.  It's too modern to be my favourite car to drive, but it's high on the list because it's a good car with great family history.

BTW ... at 29 years older than me, it's my newest collector car.

1983259820_Auburn1963.jpg.fc765cb8095a3b0b5f06386d52d1016e.jpg

399595885_1927Auburn.jpg.01bec5fd8bde09d0197b4c90c21c9630.jpg

• Like 1

When I was born in 1947, my first and favorite car was 43 years old (1904 Cadillac) and my second favorite was 35 years older (1912 Brush) which I still own. Many Model T's and A's later and pretty soon they all become your favorites. The '62 Vet is still the favorite all around car.

Skip in frozen MN. 

I no longer own it but I did once, so I guess it qualifies.  It was nine years older than me.  It's the only car I've had that wasn't running when I bought it and in pieces when I sold it (long story).  I hope the guy who bought it finished it.

10 hours ago, keithb7 said:

My ‘38’s were only 33 years old when I was born. Man that really makes me feel old. 
A ‘38 car seems quite old to me. A pre-war car. I still feel 25! Not so apparently. 

C03EEB7B-4159-4883-92BF-17DBF4FE22CA.jpeg

Makes you think you are old!  So you’re saying that  makes me ancient!!  I am still 25 but with three times the experience. I’m 8 years younger than my car. 
It’s all in how you look at it. But you have to have the experience to figure that out. Age has its privileges. 
dave s