Chic Magnet autos back in the day.

Dandy Dave

Chick magnet in the day. I really don't know what day we a talking about, but I guess every dog has his day. In the early 90's I had just gone through a divorce. As a 49yo I was looking for something to uplift my spirits. I had always been enthralled by the short WB Jaguars of the late 60's early 70's, the best of which were the short lived, two, door htp. coupes. I found what I was looking for in the California, East Bay town of Lafayette. I knew that I liked the car, but never underestimate the effect of a jaguar. I flew into Oakland and was picked up by the owner and drove the car home. I could never in a million years expect the immediate responses that the car received!

This not a photo of my car but except for the tires an wheels it is identical. 1976, XJ12C

1976 Jaguar XJC - The Legend That Moves You!

• Like 3

You guys and all your fancy convertibles and coupes... this is where it was really at!  1977 Chev 1 ton window van, bench seats with one row removed, duct tape on the inside of the windshield header to stop the rust from falling, one rear leaf removed to give it that cool raked tail dragger look, green indoor outdoor carpet on the floor..... I'll stop now before you all get too jealous!

Van is long gone, girlfriend now wife of 30 years is still here

I don't have a picture of the van but this is one I grabbed online and in remarkably similar condition, mine was 2 tone beige with the brown stripe down the middle.

1977 Chevrolet G30 for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-1471481

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Vans were very cool when I was in HS. One upperclassman fom a family with money had a newish 77 or 78 Dodge with sidepipes, all tricked out, and a midyear vette.  Cousin had a van with murals, I thought it was cool.

Women seem to like this one, esp. Mrs. Mack! 😁

FB_IMG_1517057096258.jpg

• Like 3

Other than the infamously failed and previously recounted experience with my first car (‘65 BMW), which was specifically acquired for the purpose of trying to gain my first (I was 15 at the time) in person experience of physical activities commonly practiced in private settings between representative(s) of the opposite sex, I’ve never since given it a second thought when selecting any and all of my other vehicles.

OTOH, this Packard would qualify as the most prolific “babe/chick/female magnet” I’ve ever owned. 
While I had it for less than a year in the mid 1980s, for some reason it attracted/invited surprising quantities and variety of members of the opposite sex eager & willing to engage in said physical activities commonly practiced with little or no garments on participants.

At the time of course, I just wanted to believe all these wonderful encounters were due to my dashing appearance and irresistible charm (I was in early 20’s at the time and car was about 30 years old).

858C5AEB-A4CD-4A4D-9FB6-16E236CBF7CF.jpeg

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, 3macboys said:

You guys and all your fancy convertibles and coupes... this is where it was really at!  1977 Chev 1 ton window van, bench seats with one row removed, duct tape on the inside of the windshield header to stop the rust from falling, one rear leaf removed to give it that cool raked tail dragger look, green indoor outdoor carpet on the floor..... I'll stop now before you all get too jealous!

Van is long gone, girlfriend now wife of 30 years is still here

I don't have a picture of the van but this is one I grabbed online and in remarkably similar condition, mine was 2 tone beige with the brown stripe down the middle.

1977 Chevrolet G30 for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-1471481

OK,  I will see if I can top that, but probably not.  I had a '63 Buick Special Station wagon similar to this one except beige when my now wife and I started dating about 49 years ago.  Car long gone, but I still am with the bride.

1963 Buick Special Deluxe | Station Wagon Finder

And then I graduated up to a '68 Opel station wagon except mine was dark blue.

1968 Opel Kadett L Stationwagon*the finest Opel Kadett wagon on the planet!*

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

All the more encouragement to get mine on the road. ;)  Of course the wife might no like it,  but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. 

Looks like more than a single chic magnet,  looks like you'll attract the whole Can-Can brood.

Re: bridge crossings...

That might be "a bridge too far".

Or it might get taken out by friendly fire as a offensive strategy before you even get there.

Edited by 1937McBuick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 1:40 PM, Marty Roth said:

How 'bout this one ?

Actually in New Orleans despite the fake Kansas license plate,

I was staging a video "Trailer" as a "Parade of the Elvis'" for a soon-to-be-released TV show "Memphis Beat.

The ladies apparently couldn't resist my charm,

or was it the allure of the '54 Cadillac?

1954 Cadillac - Memphis beat TV Show Trailer 001.jpg

1954 Cadillac - Memphis beat TV Show Trailer 006.jpg

1954 Cadillac - Memphis beat TV Show Trailer 007.jpg

1954 Cadillac - Memphis beat TV Show Trailer 005.jpg

Automotive & human Dagmar’s. Some things never go out of style!

• Haha 8

On 12/18/2022 at 3:02 PM, alsancle said:

I forgot about the Eldorado.

AJ298-Small.jpg

Just looking at this photo, you can read her mind. She’s thinking anyone who drives a Cadillac with double wide white walls isn’t getting lucky tonight! Thus with lesson learned, AJ usually posts a rant and rave about them here every 60 days or so telling people to switch to black walls. It’s now 40 years later………..and AJ still isn’t getting any! 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 6

49976741313_1f8e3785a3_c.jpg2020-06-06_11-09-41 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

I was driving this one when I met my wife. I casually knew her because she worked with a girlfriend I had at the time. I met Teri out a few months after the breakup and her conversation starter was 'do you still have the white car?' We will be celebrating 37 years in Jan. Now all my cars are POS's in her mind.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, 1937McBuick said:

The only women my current project is attracting is way way too many Susan Anthony's....

1979-SBA_Obv.jpg

I gotta start telling the Wife the Other woman is Susan B. And she finishes all my projects. See how that goes. 🤣😂

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On our way to get married. 1990

Brenda first laid eyes on me when I parked and got out of the Porsche outside the Louisiana Unemployment Office  where I had an appointment to interview her for a job.  She got one alright —- putting up with me for the last 32+ years and counting.  Best thing that ever happened to me.

I sold the Porsche over 20 years ago, but the “YOU WISH” tags were transferred to a ‘66 Jaguar E-type roadster that we still own.

Tom

4E918881-DC21-4383-BA96-A56B2CF1B739.jpeg

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Nicest car in the junkyard attracts the girls.

014.jpg.2f14133ade2404a76159234ebb2c4560.jpg

As far as attracting much younger ladies,

Either Bernie is much younger than many of us,

or has a great many Susan B. Anthony units,

in addition to an amazing Buick -

or is he showing off his junk (yard?)

In either case, we could all take a lesson, and maybe get in trouble

• Haha 3

Bernie is likely much more easygoing than me.  They look like nice girls but if one was parked like that on the hood of any of my cars, I am pretty sure I could pick and toss her cleanly enough so all beltbuckles, rivets and high heels wouldn't contact anything but the dirt upon hitting the ground.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

and maybe get in trouble

My life long friend Ronnie, the junkyard owner got comments from his wife.

023.jpg.9e346d93fe32525af3e98d58d276b863.jpg

Egress was careful and assisted.

030.jpg.c759b23d68a744cbcf8672bc1a3f4463.jpg

And everyone had a good time.

026.jpg.0c5b1e9108d1b1d7fa5f53fb62f91b57.jpg

Those pictures were taken about 5 months before the stroke and heart attack. I am back and in better condition than before. And I have a lot more professional camera now. Just need some professional girls.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Bernie is likely much more easygoing than me.  They look like nice girls but if one was parked like that on the hood of any of my cars, I am pretty sure I could pick and toss her cleanly enough so all beltbuckles, rivets and high heels wouldn't contact anything but the dirt upon hitting the ground.

Belt buckles, rivets on the cars' finishes.....  high heels and rat-tail combs on cars upholstery.....    sends the cringe factor off the scales.....   only way to avoid damage....  dress down for the photo-op.    I apologize for being such a stickler for detail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2