Sandblasting cabinet

I built a sandblast cabinet a number of years and it works great.  At the time TIP Sandblasting/TIP tools sold plans and a kit so you could make your own.  I made mine out of 3/4 inch plywood with a metal frame and expanded metal.  I used Formica on the inside on the back of the cabinet to protect the wood.  I also used a small exhaust fan connected to 3" tubing vented outside to carry away the dust.  I found that glass beads worked better than sand.

Ron

• Like 1

I bought a Harbor Freight full standing unit from Craigslist for $100.  Then, I used several YouTube videos to modify it with new lighting and a vacuum sand separator to make it work much better.

Note: This unit works fine for occasional use with my 11 CFM compressor.

I only work on my own cars and do very little parts blasting.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

Like air compressors and other tools, buying the best you can afford is usually the smartest choice. I spent a lot of time with a half-assed low-buck blaster and wondered why I would spend hours and hours trying to get parts clean. Then I bought a good one from TP Tools (who are local to me and really good guys) and the difference was extraordinary. Between the pick-up tube's reliability, the lighting, the dust control, it wasn't even a fair comparison. I'll also note that TP used to be the #1 supplier of blast cabinets but knock-off cheap cabinets from China have had a significant negative impact on their business--their sales are way down. However, they also note that people with the cheap Chinese cabinets often call them for repair parts or for advice for how to make them work better. The good equipment just works better and you support an American company that stands behind its stuff. As someone who experiences frequent bouts of frustration, I've finally learned that good tools reduce my chances of losing my temper in the middle of a project.

Or not...

952935724_2022-02-0314_44_01.jpg.fb4c7ced6d5c037982188cb07ed2abab.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I bought a used large Eastwood cabinet from Craigslist for $300. I had previously purchased the TiP build-your-own-kit that had the window, gloves, pickup tube, and plan, intending to make my own. Bottom line is that the used unit was cheaper and works as soon as I got it home. Given my limited free time, I'd rather spend it working on projects instead of building tools to let me work on projects. I still have that unopened TiP kit somewhere in the barn if you are interested.

1 minute ago, Matt Harwood said:

Between the pick-up tube's reliability, the lighting, the dust control, it wasn't even a fair comparison.

Of course, the real issue is the compressor. I'm sure you have a high-volume compressor, Matt, but a lot of people try to make due with these alleged "5HP" compressors that really are less than 3HP. The reality is that it's SCFM that matters, not HP or tank size. I've found that you need at least 15 SCFM for a blast cabinet. I've got a 23 SCFM compressor now and THAT really makes a difference when blasting.

• Like 8

Many people use the description "sand blast" - is it really ? or do you use a finer grained blast media that will not eat into the metal as much and leave a finer surface to work with ( not have to fill pit marks from the blast) the media I have used is aluminum oxide - I totally agree with my friend Matt Harwood , TP is a great place to deal with and have superior products. Spend the $ the first time around and you will not be disappointed.

Walt

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Like air compressors and other tools, buying the best you can afford is usually the smartest choice. I spent a lot of time with a half-assed low-buck blaster and wondered why I would spend hours and hours trying to get parts clean. Then I bought a good one from TP Tools (who are local to me and really good guys) and the difference was extraordinary. Between the pick-up tube's reliability, the lighting, the dust control, it wasn't even a fair comparison. I'll also note that TP used to be the #1 supplier of blast cabinets but knock-off cheap cabinets from China have had a significant negative impact on their business--their sales are way down. However, they also note that people with the cheap Chinese cabinets often call them for repair parts or for advice for how to make them work better. The good equipment just works better and you support an American company that stands behind its stuff. As someone who experiences frequent bouts of frustration, I've finally learned that good tools reduce my chances of losing my temper in the middle of a project.

Or not...

Yup. Agree totally. My cabinet is from TIP. I've had it for 30 years and it is still an excellent tool. It has provided many years of reliable use. Dandy Dave!

• Like 2

As a long time owner of a TP media blast cabinet,  I very much agree with the other posters per the quality of the cabinet and the customer support provided by the company.  Replacement parts for the wearable items ship quickly, and there is a wide range of available upgrades for their units.  I also want to under score Joe Padavano's point about having an air compressor with adequate CFM.  It'll prevent a lot of potential aggravation and frustration with the pace of the blasting process.

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

As a guy that makes a living with 18v Milwaukee tools in my hands, I will say that those stupid drills are by far the weakest thing in the lineup. I use a drill the least and replace them the most. While they work they do have more guts than most corded hammer drills though. 

Also, for Mike, even if building your own box to blast in you will want the TP vacuum and dust collection. The difference is amazing and allows us to sandblast frequently right next to restored cars. By the time you buy that and a few other pieces… you are likely pretty close to getting a full system. 

• Like 3

I made a double size cabinet out of 3/4" plywood and bought the windows/gloves/gun from TP Tools.  If you go that route make sure and buy the Skat Blast Carbide Nozzle pack.  It is about $55 which sounds expensive but I haven't replaced a nozzle in over 10 years... vs replacing the regular steel ones every couple weeks.   You need to get the double syphon tube or make one yourself as this solves a vast majority on the problems you'll have with a syphon setup.  If you use a shop vac for dust collection it'll die in a couple of months... don't ask how I know that. :( You'll need to have a cyclone style separator at the very least or the fine abrasive dust will eat the shop vac.   I have a simple "trash can lid" style cyclone separator between the cabinet and my whole shop dust collection system.   Inside the cabinet I put 4 twin outdoor flood lamps with LED spot lights.  Also order one and a half million lens protectors.  I have doors at both ends so I can get things in and our easier.  I sized it to be able to blast an axle.  The only downside is the amount of room it takes up, but I have it on wheels and roll it out of the way.   I can't imagine life with out.  At some point I'll probably add some Formica on the bottom plywood pieces to help the media slide down better and to keep from blasting a hole in it.

acrqj6m.jpg

wuoUGHX.jpg

JAEQ5j6.jpg

krdmwTj.jpg

Edited by Luv2Wrench (see edit history)
  • Like 7

It's already been said, but let me add my "dittos" regarding the TP equipment.  I bought mine many years ago and still love it.  Actually you can get some excellent "deals" on them post Carlisle/Hershey.  I actually bought mine at a really great price - it was a "scratch and dent" sale of left-over items that had been on display there.  Don't skimp on the vacuum system!

Terry

5 hours ago, Luv2Wrench said:

I made a double size cabinet out of 3/4" plywood and bought the windows/gloves/gun from TP Tools.  If you go that route make sure and buy the Skat Blast Carbide Nozzle pack.  It is about $55 which sounds expensive but I haven't replaced a nozzle in over 10 years... vs replacing the regular steel ones every couple weeks.   You need to get the double syphon tube or make one yourself as this solves a vast majority on the problems you'll have with a syphon setup.  If you use a shop vac for dust collection it'll die in a couple of months... don't ask how I know that. :( You'll need to have a cyclone style separator at the very least or the fine abrasive dust will eat the shop vac.   I have a simple "trash can lid" style cyclone separator between the cabinet and my whole shop dust collection system.   Inside the cabinet I put 4 twin outdoor flood lamps with LED spot lights.  Also order one and a half million lens protectors.  I have doors at both ends so I can get things in and our easier.  I sized it to be able to blast an axle.  The only downside is the amount of room it takes up, but I have it on wheels and roll it out of the way.   I can't imagine life with out.  At some point I'll probably add some Formica on the bottom plywood pieces to help the media slide down better and to keep from blasting a hole in it.

acrqj6m.jpg

wuoUGHX.jpg

JAEQ5j6.jpg

krdmwTj.jpg

Now that's a decent sized cabinet ! I bought a well used commercial cabinet about 1/2 this size years ago and have been very happy with it. Remarkably cheap at an auction sale, sometimes you get lucky . But many times I have wished it could hold larger parts.

I have a TP tools cabinet. An abrasive blast cabinet system is like an automobile with an internal combustion engine. It has many systems and all must be working properly for the whole to run well. (Fuel/intake/carburetion, cooling, oil circulation, ignition, brakes, power steering, exhaust, etc.) On a blast cabinet you have lighting, dust extraction, compressor, blast media, air dryer/regulator, blast gun/tip, interior glass protection, etc. All must be working well or the whole piece of equipment will be aggravating to use. 

LIKE EVERYONE ELSE HAS SAID, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DO NOT CHEAP OUT!!!!     I find that a blast cabinet is kind of expensive to operate. It has many parts that wear quickly and need to be replaced often. (Blast media, interior glass protection, gun tip, and sometimes the filter inside the designated blast cabinet dust extraction vacuum.) All of this is easily available from TP tools. GET A CARBIDE GUN TIP !!!    I finally broke down and got one and I'm glad I did. 

If you live in a humid climate, TP has a detailed plans for the piping system in their catalog to reduce moisture in the air system. Moisture is another thing that can make using a blast cabinet aggravating. 

Hi I made a simple vibrator to my Econoline blast cabinet to keep the media running back down to the pickup tube. I took a small electric motor and attached an off balance weight to the end of the shaft. Bolted it about midway down the lower part of the cabinet. No more kicking cabinet when media hangs up.

18 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Here's what you need. 144" long

The nice part about this one is that it has no flat surface on top. You could probably use it any time you wanted without clearing a load of stuff off it. Like a workbench or a car.

• Thanks 1

Bought a double-wide TP scat blast cabinet on an impulse as a late Christmas gift several years ago.  I spoke to a rep and he was not very good because I was new to the world of blast cabinets and asked what he would recommend. 

He didn't recommend much; said what I was ordering was very good.  Yeah, but I ended up ordering a vibrator later, the carbide nozzle, the vacuum system, etc.  Really wish he had been a better salesman but ultimately got where I wanted to be. 

One complaint about my cabinet is a lot of scat escaped through gaps; wish it had been designed better to keep the material inside. The following Hershey I spoke with the Manager @ their Hershey tent and explained the problem. He took a piece off one of their lesser machines and suggested I use it to upgrade my machine.  No charge and did help. 

Agree on having a compressor to handle the job. 

I purchased a 36" Trinco a few years back. Nice setup, comes with the powered filter and I built a cart for the whole works so I can just move it around wherever. Made in the USA here in Michigan. Nice heavy construction, not cheap junk, and not inexpensive. 

I looked around for a used one for some time but for the money they were asking I went with a new one and a warranty.  My only regret is that I didn't have space for a bigger one.

I bought a VG condition used 48" Trinco about 20 years ago. I paid $900 but it included flourescent top lights, a foot air control, pressure regulator, carbide nozzle and a stand alone 650 CFM exhaust/media separation unit. I don't bother with a filter I just exhaust through the wall to out side. The only thing I've ever needed to replace are the gloves.

A very heavy industrial unit but if you have the space and $ it's the way to go.........Bob

20220207_102752.jpg

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 10:36 AM, Matt Harwood said:

Or not...

I have to concur here when it comes to tools.  My Snap-On tools(you need to sell a kidney to afford)  I purchased over 30 years ago still work like new.  I can not say the same for Craftsman. I abuse my Snap-on ratchets yet they continue to do the job year after year.  Craftsman ratchets of a few I have are broken out of the box.   

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I bought a small blat cabinet at the Iola Swap Meet, about 1992.   Took the Central Vacume system out tof our GMC motor home and attached it to the csabinet and netter lighting.   My 50 Gallon Air Compressor runs out of air way to quickly.   Tried san, then Glass beeds and now back to sand.   iss a bigger tannk the only answert o getting more  pressure,?

• Like 1

I sold mine before we moved, it was just a very old small used good cabinet. The reason I bought it was the original owner solved the big part problem by putting hinge’s on the sides and a canvas cover with Velcro that could be put in place around the part and open  side. Clean part of it slide it down and clean more etc. sometimes it got a little dusty but for the few times I was doing big parts it worked pretty well. Plus it didn’t take up a lot of room. Wish I never sold it. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)

On 2/5/2022 at 8:29 AM, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

I’m thinking of building a sandblasting cabinet. I know I can buy one, but they have either bad reviews or quite expensive. I’ve looked online and see quite a few options and opinions as to design and size. I was just wondering if anyone has done this before and you thoughts. Thanks Mike 

If you are in the Detroit area, I have a home built with all the stuff that my neighbor built. 

You can have it for free if you or anyone else wants it to come and pick it up.  Just PM me and we can make arrangements.

• Like 1

I bought a large blast cabinet from TP Tools at Hershey back in 2005 and it has performed flawlessly ever since. Apart from changing the ceramic gun nozzles which wear out from the abrasive media passing through them, the entire cabinet assembly has required zero maintenance, and that includes the vacuum unit, too. Proof that Made in America quality is superior. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

Thanks to all who gave their thoughts. I’ve looked on cl and fb in my area and found nothing worth buying. I’m still undecided if building one or purchasing a manufactured unit.  Mike

If you are someplace between Oklahoma City & Detroit, I can meet you and give you the one that I have if you want it next month.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

I bought a TP Extra  wide outfit 30 yrs ago and have been happy with it.  I added their vibrator and felt it was worth the money as it helped keep  the pick up covered.     Look on Craigslist to find a used high quality unit.  They are around.

MVC-005F.JPG.681feea3f950cfd74a543a27378c54ff.JPGI made one on the cheap, primarily for bead blasting small parts, using an old defunct dish washer and a $2 shop vac from a yard sale.  Needed holes were cut in the door for hand openings and viewing.  The sight glass was tempered stock cut from glass of an old patio door.  Open ended sleeves were attached into the hand holes,when blasting I wear work gloves with cuffs that overlap the sleeves.  A rack from the dw was modified for use with hardware cloth in its bottom.  Lighting is by a bulb in a fruit jar.  Works fine for me.

• Like 1

One of the first pieces of equipment we bought when we started business in 1979 was an Empire blast cabinet.  Expensive but still running strong after 42 years.  Replaced the nozzles many times, the gloves several times, the glass innumerable times.  Still runs average of 10-15 hrs/week.  Couldn't live without it.