Jump to content

Luv2Wrench

Members
  • Content Count

    1,482
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Luv2Wrench last won the day on November 24 2019

Luv2Wrench had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

1,433 Excellent

About Luv2Wrench

  • Rank
    Senior Member
  • Birthday 02/19/1966

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I wonder if that PLA has the heat rating to do panic stops On a more serious note... I love that 3D printers are making it much easier to get parts that were once all but unobtainable. With that in mind, it might make sense to consider getting scans of rare parts during a restoration process such that they be available for future restorers.
  2. Had a reasonable weekend car wise... as usual stuff came up and I didn't get much time in the shop, but I did get the fenders shot with base and clear on the inside. Today I managed to get the hood and other misc panels shot with base and clear on the inside. Now I will let them dry a bit and flip them over, prep and seal with epoxy primer, then base and then clear. Looks like it will be 3 sessions. I'll do the hood and misc panels that are in the booth now first, then I'll do the gas tank, spare tire holder and misc. Last session will be the fenders. Before I take the booth down I also
  3. I moved all the panels out, cleaned up the shop and put the paint booth up. I hope to get the inside of all the panels shot this weekend. I still need to clean the panels, put plastic down on the floor and, of course, bring the panels back in. Setting the booth up now goes pretty quick, I don't think it took more than a couple of hours to get everything in and put together. The previous sessions I had too much air velocity so I slowed the fan down by putting bigger and smaller pulleys on. I think it feels just about right now.
  4. Welcome!! That's a wonderful car and will make a great project! I think your idea of getting it mechanically sound and cleaning/shining the rest is a fantastic idea. If the paint was falling off or a later repaint that was failing, then a respray would be appropriate.
  5. Welcome! Start a thread in "Our Cars & Restoration Projects" and let us follow along. I not familiar with the Windsor but it looks like a cool car and I love a restoration of a car that's been in the family. Silly me... I see you've already done that!!
  6. 10 years and a month or so... and this picture still gives me goosebumps. Our hobby is a true labor of love.
  7. Man that thing looks great, such good lines. Just beautiful.
  8. Always a pleasure to see what you've been up to, thanks for taking the time to document it and share.
  9. Managed to get the most of the afternoon to get some work done. I shot the tank in 2K last night so I was able to start with a little glazing filler and some block sanding. It really only needed attention to the areas where the inner baffles were spot welded. It seems that process left a little depression. There were a couple of small dents on the top but nothing much. Went super quick and I was able to get another 2 coats of 2K on it. I'll block it tomorrow and see what I've got. Might be ready for paint. While all the other panels were probably ready
  10. Life (and weather) got in the way again for a couple of weeks but I did get some good news... the gas tank is fixed! The shop did a reasonable job of getting it fixed the first time but when I media blasted it to get ready for paint some holes were uncovered. I fixed them with sliver solder but unfortunately that damaged the Red-Kote they used to line the inside. They soaked it in acetone repeatedly (10 gallons overall) and were able to get the Red-Kote out. From there they tested the tank for leaks (found none) and re-applied the Red-Kote. The only charge was their price on the acetone,
  11. If it is wicking... it is sticking... Great job, can't wait to see it after it cools!
  12. Upgrade to air system is complete! In the picture below I added everything to the right of the regulator. First item right of the regulator is a tee. Out of the bottom of the tee is a high flow quick connect for a hose. This outlet is for day to day use. There is an intercooler between the compressor pump and the tank, along 50' of copper, water traps and a water/oil separator before the regulator. This system has been working great for a long time and provides nice dry air. It could, however, be a little better. The components right of the tee are what accomplish this. First there is
  13. Getting very close to base and clear. I have one spot to shoot a bit of 2K primer and then everything gets sanded to 600, epoxy primer and then base coat. I'm also working on an enhanced air setup that should remove practically anything and produce clean, dry air. I'll add a post about it once I get it done. If things go well I'll set the paint booth back up and try to get color/clear on this weekend.
  14. Car looks great! That's got to be exciting to get it outside even if you do see a few more issues. I agree with John S. In addition, record the positions of shims/washers so that you can get it back that way on final assembly. I had issues because I didn't tighten everything down and when I did the "final" time it changed the fit of the doors substantially.
  15. Yep, this thread constantly teaches and illustrates the value of breaking down a problem, building tools to fix it and if doesn't work finding another way until it does work. In today's world it really stands out as what people _should_ be doing.
×
×
  • Create New...