Came to a realization- The Changing State of Motoring

MarkV

Today I took my 1941 Dodge about 20 miles east of me to an interior shop to get a brand new interior installed! (Yay). It’s not going to be original but will roughly copy my grandfathers retrofit of the interior circa 1960 which was aqua and red vinyl. I’ve dealt with seat covers since I got it going in 2004 so I’m happy to finally be getting it done! 

I haven’t driven it very much of a distance in a couple of years and have basically kept it just to traveling around the block. Today I drove it on the freeway and was capped to a speed of about 55 mph with the old flathead. Cars of course were zooming by at 75. That combined with the lack of stopping (drum brakes and single action master cylinder) and general lack of maneuverability got me thinking as to part of the reason why many pre late 50s cars are dropping in value. The usability of them is very low and particularly dangerous because of crazy drivers and higher speeds and more traffic. Later in the day I jumped into my 82 imperial and easily kept up with traffic. 

While it was a fun drive I don’t remember a time since it’s resurrection in 2004 where I felt that I could have gotten into a situation on that highway (or even regular streets). I also felt this way the last time I drove my 66 mustang (which used to have no problems being my daily driver in the 00s) Have drivers really changed that much? 

3F432C4D-BAAB-4BC9-8952-5096DC97A9D0.jpeg

• Like 3

First, I would think that a 41 Dodge would stop and maneuver fine, so that comment surprises me.  Not like a new Corvette, I understand, but drum brakes should be able to lock up wheels, the main advantage of disk brakes is less fade from repeated use.  If the car wanders when going down the road, or is hard to steer, those are things that need to be fixed.  If the car had done that when new it never would have left a showroom.

To reply to your question, yes, it’s more of a challenge to drive on the roads these days.  

Drivers are distracted, by phones and music and other things, and don’t pay attention to their driving.

Everyone considers themselves a great driver, when by definition half the people on the road are below average drivers.

Its become a “me” generation, too, and people have no patience with you being in their way.  A driver doesn’t think of you as a human, but rather just an object in their way, or an object that got ahead of them and occupies the place they think they should be in.

Remember the 9/11 tragedy, how for a few days we were United, and remember how courteous drivers were?  For a few days, then it went back to normal, and it’s progressively gotten worse…

Have fun with your Dodge!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I would drive my 49 Plymouth back and forth to school in the 1980s on a 6 lane highway.   Basically identical mechanically to your 41.    Never gave it a thought.  But I see three major differences between then and now:

1.  Cars are going faster.   My Plymouth was good for 55 down hill with a tail wind.   Back then fine, now - not as much.

2.  More traffic.

3.  I'm older and wiser,  so I'm anticipating bad things at a much high rate.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MarkV said:

...The usability of them is very low and particularly dangerous because of crazy drivers and higher speeds and more traffic.

It certainly depends where you live.  People who

live in urban areas may almost have to use a superhighway

to get places;  while there are vast stretches of the country

that are sparsely populated, with smaller roads that see

very little traffic.

34 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Its become a “me” generation, too...

The "Me Generation" was a nickname given to the

1970's--and that's 50 years ago.  I suppose, if we could

read something about the 1840's, the older adults would

say, "Those dang kids don't respect their elders like they

used to.  Look how that cart just cantered by on a busy street.

Take me back to the 1790's when everything was good!"

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like you may be in SoCal. If thats the case I would hate to drive a modern car!  I agree with you though. My 'antique' car is a '77 model with a big motor. It will easily cruise at 60mph with the 3 speed trans and the rear gearing (but hey, the national speed limit was 55 when the car was built). I am no speed demon by any means but my car will run with higher speed modern traffic if need be but I chose not to. My area is rural enough that I really dont have to get on any major highway and I can still get to just about anywhere I want to go. And I live about 5 miles from I-95. For the longest time owning a pre war car was high on my bucket list, preferably a Model A. But quite honestly after being on this forum for the last year or so I think I have come to the realization that a car like that just isnt practical as far as old cars go for me. I can still live vicariously through all of you guys that have them.  At one time I had a few dozen antique motorcycles, all of them roadworthy but found that they were impossible to drive on the road. So all but a few are now gone, and I may loan whats left to a museum.

Trimacar, you made a statement that my wife and I talk about often. Right after 9/11 there was a feeling of unification in this country and everyone seemed compassionate towards each other. Now my neighbors hardly will even talk to me (not really a bad thing though, LOL.)

I've discussed this very situation with a friend who lives in Denver, CO where the urban traffic has worsened with the major population increase.  He continues to talk about how he'd like to have a Ford Model A but wonders where he could drive and enjoy it.  My suggestion is he survey various time periods to determine when traffic flow is at its lowest density.  CDOT could also provide that information if he applied for it.   Planning one's intended routes to avoid Interstates and high traffic arteries would be another strategy.   Joining the local club that organizes group touring with their Model A Fords could provide a 'safety-in-numbers' situation and the opportunity to meet other good folks of like interests.  

Of course, needling him, I suggest he move out onto the eastern plains to one of the scattered small towns where there are plenty of open roads to drive a Model A without encountering much of any traffic...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

I notice (at least here), there are far less motorcycles on the road than there were 25-30 years ago; possibly for this reason where the rider doesn't want to become a statistic.

Craig

Count me in that crowd. 10 years ago we had 5-6 different bikes in our stable at any given time, but other drivers have just gotten too careless, and after my second daughter was born we got out of them all together with the exception of one I restored and rarely ride. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, trimacar said:

First, I would think that a 41 Dodge would stop and maneuver fine, so that comment surprises me.  Not like a new Corvette, I understand, but drum brakes should be able to lock up wheels, the main advantage of disk brakes is less fade from repeated use.  If the car wanders when going down the road, or is hard to steer, those are things that need to be fixed.  If the car had done that when new it never would have left a showroom.

To reply to your question, yes, it’s more of a challenge to drive on the roads these days.  

Drivers are distracted, by phones and music and other things, and don’t pay attention to their driving.

Everyone considers themselves a great driver, when by definition half the people on the road are below average drivers.

Its become a “me” generation, too, and people have no patience with you being in their way.  A driver doesn’t think of you as a human, but rather just an object in their way, or an object that got ahead of them and occupies the place they think they should be in.

Remember the 9/11 tragedy, how for a few days we were United, and remember how courteous drivers were?  For a few days, then it went back to normal, and it’s progressively gotten worse…

Have fun with your Dodge!

it’s not hard to steer but I liken it to a brick on wheels compared to newer cars. Brakes and everything else mechanically are all up to spec. 

42 minutes ago, 54Coupe said:

Take Foothill next time. There are more traffic lights, so it's a little slower, but you can still see some of the old Route 66 landmarks, like the restored gas station in Rancho Cucamonga, and the Wig Wam Motel in Rialto.

Dany

Too much stop and go and didn’t have the time for that yesterday unfortunately. 
I pass by that restored gas station all the time! 

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Looks like you may be in SoCal. If thats the case I would hate to drive a modern car!  I agree with you though. My 'antique' car is a '77 model with a big motor. It will easily cruise at 60mph with the 3 speed trans and the rear gearing (but hey, the national speed limit was 55 when the car was built). I am no speed demon by any means but my car will run with higher speed modern traffic if need be but I chose not to. My area is rural enough that I really dont have to get on any major highway and I can still get to just about anywhere I want to go. And I live about 5 miles from I-95. For the longest time owning a pre war car was high on my bucket list, preferably a Model A. But quite honestly after being on this forum for the last year or so I think I have come to the realization that a car like that just isnt practical as far as old cars go for me. I can still live vicariously through all of you guys that have them.  At one time I had a few dozen antique motorcycles, all of them roadworthy but found that they were impossible to drive on the road. So all but a few are now gone, and I may loan whats left to a museum.

Trimacar, you made a statement that my wife and I talk about often. Right after 9/11 there was a feeling of unification in this country and everyone seemed compassionate towards each other. Now my neighbors hardly will even talk to me (not really a bad thing though, LOL.)

I can relate to all who have commented on the challenges of driving a pre-war car in a big city. I recently moved from northern VA to Pinehurst, NC. What a difference and a pleasure to drive my 1940 Chevy down here. Speed limits are 35-45, everyone is courteous and Charlotte and the research triangle are far enough away to enjoy the back roads. I’m enjoying and DRIVING the car a lot more now

• Like 5

I have been driving cars of the 1920s for almost 50 years and I have had many near misses - and fortunately never been hit or injured by another driver.   However, I will say that getting out and about in my 1929 Studebaker includes more white knuckled driving today than it did when I first started driving a 1929 Studebaker back in 1975.    The most recent terrifying near miss occurred when I was entering a round-a-bout while driving my 1929 Studebaker President and I had to slow to a near stop because I needed to yield to another driving going through the round-a-bout when a woman in a big SUV locked up her brakes and laid down rubber after almost rear ending my Studebaker.   

Unfortunately, I didn't escape the rear end you drivers for very long.  This past Thursday evening, while returning home from work, I was stopped at a red light in my daily driver waiting for the light to change when I was rear ended and pushed into the back of the car stopped in front of me.   A three car accident caused by a driver who 1) Was a distracted driver 2) didn't have a drivers license 3) didn't have a registered or licensed car 4) didn't have car insurance.  The only blessing is this person hit my daily driver - not my antique Studebaker.  However, I am still going to be out financially because insurance doesn't cover everything - like my time off work for accident related medical appointments.   

If you venture out in your old car take all of the necessary precautions and make sure you are fully insured in case that inconsiderate dangerous driver finds you on your relaxing drive in the collector car.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

When Bloo made his epic trip with his mid 1930s Pontiac that he documented here I was amazed at his photos of roads and towns he encountered with little to no traffic on them.  Here in my section of PA you have to look long and hard to find any roads that remotely resemble anything like that.  I liked those types of roads when riding my motorcycle, which often led to me taking trips to West Virginia for their enjoyable lightly traveled back roads.  The trade off there was substituting deer for cars.  I sure wish I could enjoy those times again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mark Huston said:

This past Thursday evening, while returning home from work, I was stopped at a red light in my daily driver waiting for the light to change when I was rear ended and pushed into the back of the car stopped in front of me.   A three car accident caused by a driver who 1) Was a distracted driver 2) didn't have a drivers license 3) didn't have a registered or licensed car 4) didn't have car insurance. 

And since you're in Calif, not a single thing will happen to the driver that hit you driving without a license or insurance.

• Like 2

@58L-Y8, tell your buddy to get an open A.  I find eye contact (easier from an open car) eliminates a lot of (maybe not all but you would be surprised) bad behavior in many traffic situations. 

I stay off the highway outside of short bursts and avoid rush hour and areas I know to be problematic.  Touring on groups and early morning drives are also a good strategy.

• Like 3

I think that there are a few things at play - first as we all get older we notice the risks far more, I think that starts at about 30-35 yrs old.  I think that cars may have gotten too good - by that I mean that you don't really drive them as much as guide them - automatic transmissions, blind spot warning, ABS, etc.  You use to be able to judge your speed by the wind noise off the A pillar and the mirror but now cars are so sound proof that you don't have that same appreciation of the speed that you are traveling.  One other observation - have you noticed that people no longer stop a suitable distance behind you at lights/stop signs, it used to be tires touching pavement which gave plenty of room if the person was driving a standard and rolled back a bit (particularly on a hill) or if you were hit from behind you likely wouldn't get pushed all the way into the vehicle stopped front.   That being said so long as you can keep up with the flow of traffic get out and enjoy the cars!  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

I would drive my 49 Plymouth back and forth to school in the 1980s on a 6 lane highway.   Basically identical mechanically to your 41.    Never gave it a thought.  But I see three major differences between then and now:

1.  Cars are going faster.   My Plymouth was good for 55 down hill with a tail wind.   Back then fine, now - not as much.

2.  More traffic.

3.  I'm older and wiser,  so I'm anticipating bad things at a much high rate.

#3.

Odd, that the '49 Plymouth would run 65-70 all day in the '0s, and only '55 in the 80s. 😁

Ben

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TerryB said:

When Bloo made his epic trip with his mid 1930s Pontiac that he documented here I was amazed at his photos of roads and towns he encountered with little to no traffic on them.  Here in my section of PA you have to look long and hard to find any roads that remotely resemble anything like that.  I liked those types of roads when riding my motorcycle, which often led to me taking trips to West Virginia for their enjoyable lightly traveled back roads.  The trade off there was substituting deer for cars.  I sure wish I could enjoy those times again.

There was a reason folks came West 150 years back.

Ben

10 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

There was a reason folks came West 150 years back.

Ben

We substitute places with financial opportunities for wide open spaces.  Many places that are wide open today offer very little in ways to earn a living.  The “work from home movement “ might alter that model in the future. In my youth I left what was a more open area for a chance to work in an environment that offered financial betterment opportunities over the wide open spaces.  A good job and income allowed me to at least visit those wide open spaces comfortably.  My son moved to CA for his opportunity, that move would be too dramatic even for me at the same age as his move.

Back on topic, I guess you drive your old car or motorcycle in the environment that best suits it’s capabilities with a constant eye on the drivers around you and hope for the best.

I think that the biggest change is that drivers don't leave an adequate "safety cushion" between themselves and other vehicles. Do you remember that old advice to leave one car length for every ten miles of speed between yourself and the car in front of you? Today's cars stop on a dime, the typical driver rushes up on a situation then slows very abruptly. If your not paying enough attention or if you're driving an old car it's difficult to stop in time. 

Drivers are very aggressive now, I make it a point to keep out of their way. If I'm not in the mood, in my modern car, to drive fast I stay to the right. I keep an eye on the rear view, if I've got cars coming up and passing me, I'll move to the right lane. I never hold up faster traffic, hopefully there might be a cop up ahead. 

Most old cars had tiny tail and directional lights, many can't be seen in bright sunlight. If I ever get my '51 up and running I plan to add additional stop and running lights. 

I mentioned to the Wife a while back, that sometimes I forget that I'm retired, and usually not in any real hurry to get anywhere, and I'm tooling along (usually at the speed limit!) and forget that the other drivers around me are chewing on their steering wheels trying to get somewhere in a hurry.

• Like 1

Nearly a decade ago I was involved in an collision where the other driver ran a red light. Fortunately, I was able to document that it was their fault and their insurance company covered the repairs on my car. But I came very close to a “I say, they say” situation where I (or my insurance) would have had to pay for at least some of and maybe all of the repairs. After that I got a dash cam so I would always have an unbiased witness with me in the car.

Having a dash cam led to saving clips of interesting things I saw on the road. Usually “interesting” meaning idiots violating both common sense and traffic laws. In 2020 I had maybe 20% fewer clips than I had averaged before the pandemic. That only lasted a year. So far this year I have three times as many clips as prior to the pandemic and I have even stopped bothering keeping clips of ”run of the mill” things like running red lights as there are just too many of them to be out of the ordinary.

So my unscientific sample suggests to me that drivers in my area have gotten really bad in the last year or so.

I still motor around in my old car but mostly on low speed surface streets where enough of the traffic consists of electric golf carts that people are pretty mellow. It will be nice to feel comfortable enough with other drivers to venture onto the major highways needed to access the back country roads again.

My driver was a 95  2 door Cherokee Sports . 5 on the floor, inline 6. Drove it for 20 plus years on the same clutch plate.  I bought a 2017  V6 Colorado  7  speed automatic. Within 60 feet it changes speed to 3rd. gear. It drives like a car, can cut in and out in any traffic. Very quick acceleration. Can stop on a dime. 

I am 86 and 3/4 years old and not that quick on the draw  driving  the old Jeep.  With this truck I can deal with the inconsiderate punks on the highway. This truck is not a truck like the 60's and 90's . It runs like a car. My son do not like to drive it because he says the steering is too sensitive.

Having lived in SoCal for 35+ years and driven tens of thousands of miles with large variety of vintage cars ranging from early thirties to early seventies around here during that time, my observations are and have always been that the vast majority of drivers I see daily lack basic vehicle operation skills and understanding of traffic surrounding them but somehow they manage their daily commuting without more collisions or other problems.

Only change I’ve seen is that with population growth, we just have more drivers suffering from aforementioned lack of driving skills.

And if anything, with ever expanding variety of vehicle control nannies introduced in all modern/new cars/trucks seems to also lessen peoples ability and/or willingness to improve their own shortcomings.

OTOH, this ^ acceptance/admiration of these “features” is the easiest path to real “Changing State of Motoring”, i.e. self-driving vehicles and ultimately, banning of all human operated vehicles on public roads, but I just hope it won’t become a norm while I’m still capable of driving my vintage cars…

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 2

People (meaning drivers) seem to be getting dumber all the time. It seems like certain road configurations lead to higher degrees of stupidity. There are a couple of places here in the Hudson Valley where it's single lane, opens up to two lanes for a few hundred feet before merging back to one lane and both are in a high traffic area. I can't remember the last time I didn't see something stupid at those places. 

With that said, I am continually surprised by how many old cars I see driving around in Manhattan. I don't go there very often, but literally every time I've ever gone there I've seen at least one old car, usually more than one. New York City seems like the least likely place to see old cars driving around but they are there. The most surprising NYC car spotting to me was a factory stock 59 Cadillac on the Taconic heading into the Bronx as we were leaving. 

Lack of respect, courtesy, or compassion for others. In the protection of their cars and trucks they are brave. Feel secure. If you treat people aggressively and ignorant in person, you may get your up-cummins. a lot quicker. Many people are indeed aggressive in their cars. I have little desire to travel on hi-ways in my pre-war 1938 cars. Local city roads are preferred. I do imagine it must be pretty sweet to drive and cruise, in some places in the USA and Canada. Wide open flatlands with many roads.  Staying off the Interstate a guy probably could drive clear across the mid-west.

I live in BC Canada. Mountains are everywhere. A large portion of our hi-ways follow valleys and rivers. Most of the roads between towns here when I am, are major hi-ways. So I get up very early if I can, and beat the rush. The Trans-Canada hi-way goes right through my town. It's busy. We have 1 hi-way across Canada. A lot of that hi-way here in BC is still single lane traffic. Not that fun in an under 60 mph car. You literally are risking your life if you are hitting the hi-way on a long weekend in a vintage car. Between the endless 600 HP+ loaded semi-trucks, and the aggressive drivers speeding, passing you on dangerous turns, I'll just stay in town. In the summer I can often be found cruising at 25 mph and enjoy my early morning coffee at 5 am on a Sunday.

I am at the point where I don't care  much about the decreased popularity of pre-war cars. Nor the soft sell prices. I love my pre-war cars. I cruise and enjoy them very much. Safely. Within their limits.

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Interstate driving has become noticeably more intense in the last several years (IMO.) For this reason, I've devoted very little energy into getting the overdrive in my old Ford working again. Without OD, it cruises fine at a shade over 50, and still has a top speed of over 70 if I push it (which is rarely necessary.) Those speeds pretty much work on the paved rural county roads around here, which I love driving on because of low traffic and great scenery. Not having it in OD also improves the engine braking situation...which is needed with drums all around.

In truth, I don't even like driving my more recent 352 c.i. FE powered sedan on the interstate. It just isn't a pleasant experience. It keeps up with traffic speed ok, but again it has all drum brakes and it seems interstate drivers around here like driving in close quarters more and more as time goes on. Also no A/C in that car, so I keep the windows down, and the road noise from all the traffic makes it less than fun. It's lots of fun on less traveled state highways, though.

I'm wondering if I'm even going to like taking my T-Bird on the interstate when I get it done. Like a lot of mid-sixties cars, it's A/C is non-functioning. I definitely don't like driving any of my old cars in heavy in-town traffic, either. So, without the lightly traveled rural roads and highways around here, there aren't too many places to drive that I consider fun and relaxing. With that in mind, I find Billy's comments about the old cars he sees in NYC interesting. I guess there are people out there who really enjoy that. More power to them.

We have in our city a large amount of "new Canadians" most of them brought their "Old world" driving habits with them, or for the females the 1st chance to actually drive. Couple that with constant texting and talking on cell phones, or other passengers it's very dangerous. No signals, change lanes without warning or cause, and total lack of road manners make driving a drum brake slow steering car not so much fun these days. There's plenty of home grown morons to go around as well.

At least I can be out in the country in less than 10 minutes on some low traffic paved 2 laners.

• Like 1

What shocks me is how drivers in the metro area must have money to burn considering the gas prices. 

I drive steady and hit all the green lights while maintaining 40-50mph in a posted 50 zone... it's plenty on my way to and from work.... don't like it, go around lunatics. Needless to say we meet up again at every light, you know  the type. Sure I can keep up or pass you but we all have the same goal, to arrive at our destination. So you beat my by two minutes... congrats, here's a piece of fruit now get back in your cage...  (mini rant over). 

I think part of the issue on freeways started happening when they posted signs with 65 - 75 depending on what freeway or interstate stretch you may be on.Used to be 55 was posted on all local freeways, but since they changed the signs to 65 I think that played a role in a willingness to exceed by so many drivers.

As we all know, (common knowledge) most law enforcement (generally) won't cite you for anything under 11 over (or 76 mph). 

I think another factor is all the zoom zoom high horsepower promotional commercials from every car manufacturer on the planet, and now mix that with such disrespect toward law enforcement and it's a wonder folks aren't driving 85-100 everywhere. No doubt some are already testing those limits.  And of course, those are the first ones to cry because of insurance premiums....

I say enjoy your classic and if they don't like your speed then that's on them.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

On 12/7/2021 at 8:09 AM, alsancle said:

I would drive my 49 Plymouth back and forth to school in the 1980s on a 6 lane highway.  

From 1974 to 1995, National Highways were limited to 55 mph.  Not that everyone (anyone?) drove that speed but '15 over' was 70 mph. 

Now with 70 mph speed limits, many vehicles often travel upper 70s, 80 mph. 

A couple years ago I was commuting with a late 1980s 9c1 and even though it was pretty modern, albeit without ABS, what seemed fast was hardly keeping up with traffic.  

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/nixon-signs-national-speed-limit-into-law

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I can't believe I am the only person who knows how to make a left hand turn and stay in my own lane.

But, officer, I was going to make a left turn up the road.   { after making a right from the curb into the 3rd, far left, lane.]

I could do better with an 80 ft semi than some folks.

Ben

9 hours ago, CarFreak said:

From 1974 to 1995, National Highways were limited to 55 mph.  Not that everyone (anyone?) drove that speed but '15 over' was 70 mph. 

Now with 70 mph speed limits, many vehicles often travel upper 70s, 80 mph. 

Sammy Hagar comes to mind: 

Craig

• Like 3

My observations from the last few years: the smaller the car,the more of the road they take up.Also,people don't dim their headlights until they get right on you;then it's too late because you're already blinded.

Driving on the interstate people are driving from 50 mph to 90 mph, so using cruise control is almost impossible.I don't mind to see a classic going slower,it's kind of expected.However,a late model vehicle going 50-60 mph on the interstate is unreasonable.

And,finally,lane changing.People weaving in and out of traffic,no signaling or proper clearance is just plain dangerous,along with tailgating,perhaps the most dangerous of all stupid driving habits.