Your first antique/classic car purchase

Jack Bennett

Being on my seventh project involving reanimation of machines made from 1923 to 1995, I feel a certain level of qualification so far as what to look for when buying one. 
A commonality among folks who decide to buy a old car or truck for restoration is the appearance of such things as patina and obvious rust damage to metal surfaces.

I seldom read an advertisement for an old vehicle which does not include the statement “Run when parked 30 years ago”, or “Recent restoration, and stored under cover for 15 years”.

These are eye candy which can mislead the buyer to overlook other, extremely, and possibly very costly damage which should be obvious when the vehicle is looked at as a food source for trapped vermin.

There is no argument regarding the benefit to a person buying a antique vehicle which has been stored inside, in a heated, and air conditioned environment for 30 years over buying one which has sat, unprotected, outside for a single year.

But it should be remembered that the same conditions which made storage of the car in a protected environment desirable, made that same environment an attractive living place for rats, mice, raccoons, and insects.

And, regardless of the luxurious accommodations an environmentally controlled storage facility provides, even occasional power failures, and even opening and closing of doors also invites rot and mold causing moisture to enter the facility.

To end this spiel, I conclude it by saying that as much damage can be done to a stored car by vermin as can be done to a parked car by weather.

Be aware of this and check the vehicle, and the area around it for signs that the car may be, or may have been, a habitat for critters which turned fuel lines and electrical wire insulation into a, admittedly poor, source of food, and made their nests, in hidden places, from gnawed wood and ripped upholstery fabric.

Next post may hint at the potential damage fuel, stored in the tank, lines, vacuum tank and carburetor of a stored vehicle can cause, and the unimaginable expense of repairing it.

Jack

Edited by Jack Bennett (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Porsche 68 said:

1946 Dodge cab over when I was 23 drove great just a little too big to be driving every day. John

My older brother owned a “White” (name, not color) cab over, with a bob tail trailer when he was 16 years old. Used it to haul scrap cars between the junk yard and the place where they were crushed and shredded.

Jack

• Like 1

The 1952 Plymouth Cranbrook that I still own today.  In early 2002.  I learned that even though the rest of the vehicle passed the magnet and solidity test, it never behooves you to forget the bottom of the frame.  A $900 repair in 2003.  Thanks to a local restoration company(McCabe Restorations) I did not have to pay to have the body lifted off the frame.  Folks who knew the difference between a driver and a high end show car.  I think they are still in operation today.

• Like 2

My 1953 Pontiac Chieftain Custom Catalina was 20 years old when I bought it in 1973, I was just 17 years old then, it became my second high school car, next year my senior year, the Dual Range Hydra-Matic needed rebuilding, AAMCO charged me $236.75, which I paid off at $25.00 a week, and the last payment of $11.75, The Pontiac is still mine today, 50 1/2 years later.

• Like 4

The first car I purchased was a 1951 Citroen. It ran but the transmission was badly damaged and I couldn't find anyone who could fix it. I didn't have a driver's license either and didn't get that until I was 18. My parents were not the slightest bit interested in cars and made no effort to encourage that interest. My second car was this one. I purchased it as a 1926 but I learned later it was really a '27. It was built in October of '26 and registered with that date which explains the confusion. Of course, I knew no one who knew any better than I did so this was my first car that actually drove. I was 19 when I bought it. I kept it for about two years and sold it to buy a 1929 PI RR.

1926CADILLACINTEDSYARD.jpg.953092d1863446132f40af06d8f76f6c.jpg

I garaged it for the first winter. I was in college at the time so this wasn't a problem. Later, because I didn't feel confident driving it in the winter, I had a string of Corvairs which we were able to buy at the time for nearly nothing.

The Cadillac was painted a pale green. The sides of the body were a 1950s or early 60s repaint. The black fenders and above the belt line was probably the original paint. There wasn't a hint of rot in the wood frame and the mohair interior was very good showing just a little wear on the driver's seat and door panels that had been slightly damaged by water leaking down the window channels. I repainted the wheels a dark red and added a matching pinstripe. Today this would be touted as an amazing "survivor". At the time it was generally looked down on as both "unrestored" and a "closed car" two things that were an anathema to most local car guys.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

After playing around helping my father-in-law rebuilding his from the tires up, I decided it was time to get my own car. So about eight years ago I bought  a 1925 Maxwell/Chrysler 58F.  It was in pretty fair shape when I acquired it. I did remove the electric fuel pump that a previous owner installed. I recently had to have work done on the vacuum tank and then went thru it and the carburetor. I just got it on the road yesterday! (see recent posts) I missed driving it when it was down!

Our old car.PNG

• Like 12

40 minutes ago, dalef62 said:

My first car was a 1951 Crosley Super stationwagon, bought in 1978 when I was 16 years old.  Still own it today, been restored twice.

PXL_20210325_002111284.jpg

PXL_20210325_004613041.jpg

PXL_20210325_004051268.jpg

PXL_20230708_160115128.jpg

PXL_20230707_204856844.jpg

Hi datef62………It does my heart good to see a complete Crosley. Most people alive today have seen no more of a Crosley than the front half projecting from a building, a Crosley body sitting atop a junk yard veranda or a Crosley ghost sitting atop a pole.

That said, my two favorite cars, as a kid were the Nash Metropolitan and the Crosley.

Your car is so rare that spell check changes “Crosley” to “Crowley”……..whatever that is.

Jack

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

If you're not prepared to do everything, buy a car that needs nothing.

Hi Matt…….sure sounds good if you like wearing a gold thong and hanging out at the motel swimming pools.

Fellows like me dote on mold and mildew, and a really rusty piece of metal makes my juices flow.

Jack

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack Bennett said:

Hi datef62………It does my heart good to see a complete Crosley. Most people alive today have seen no more of a Crosley than the front half projecting from a building, a Crosley body sitting atop a junk yard veranda or a Crosley ghost sitting atop a pole.

That said, my two favorite cars, as a kid were the Nash Metropolitan and the Crosley.

Your car is so rare that spell check changes “Crosley” to “Crowley”……..whatever that is.

Jack

Back in the early '70's one of my classmates in college was Powell Crosley V.  He was very surprised that I recognized his name.  He said the only Crosley product he ever saw was a table radio.

• Like 4

My first car was an antique. It was 30 years old and I was 15. By the time I turned 16 I had that old 1930 Model A Ford running and ready to raise hell with. Which I did! I thought 30 years was really, really old for a car and for a person too! My, my how my attitude has changed!!!!!!

Edited by hook
left out (see edit history)
  • Like 3

My first was a 1928 Ford doodllebug tractor that i was given at age 17. My parents thought I was crazy and would waste all my money on a piece of junk. When I got it home, which is a story in itself, all my father said was "get it the hell out of the yard"! I was able to secure a bay in an old 4 car garage built in the late '20's, about 20 miles from my home that belong to a fellow I worked with. 10 years, countless hours and many dollars later, I had, what I thought, was a pretty nice roadster pick up. I had to buy 2 other parts cars to build one car. I enjoyed that truck for 16 years, a journey that taught me a lot about commitment, tenacity and mechanics and it drove home the point that if one can realize a dream if one is willing to work hard to pursue it. If I have one regret, it's selling that ol' truck! I know the bright headlamps and grille shell are incorrect

, but I had them for one of the other cars before I found the p/u, and by that time, I wasn't that particular!

Truck front.jpg

truck left.jpg

Edited by jpage (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

As with many facets of my life, in car buying every purchase decision I made in my life has brought me to today. And I wouldn't change it for what might have happened.

And all those mistakes and cars that did not meet my expectations.... I sold them.

• Like 3

"your first antique/classic car purchase".........and....here i am today.......there was no information warning of the dangers.......and no addiction support groups.....like AA.......for me it spiraled out of control......i couldnt help my self........I never did kick the habit or recover after my first antique car.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

"your first antique/classic car purchase".........and....here i am today.......there was no information warning of the dangers.......and no addiction support groups.....like AA.......for me it spiraled out of control......i couldnt help my self........I never did kick the habit or recover after my first antique car.

ME TOOOO!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First OldCar I purchased at the age of 15 was this 1937 International D-2 Pick up from the original owner.

img20200430_14241438.jpg.34b36b9adc5e37d32eed2455c2ff8370.jpg

It was only 34 years old at the time. The owner had a feed store and warehouse. The truck was always stored inside. It had no rust and even the bed had very minimal damage. It had great original paint. He kept meticulious service records from new and even had the seat bottom rehupolsterd before he took it out of service around 1960. He kept it and traded his 1936 Plymoth truck on a 1952 International 3/4 ton. I wish I knew where it finally ended up.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

OLD USED CARS:

As I noted elsewhere,  I mowed a lot of lawns when in high school, so by the time of my "Senior" year, I had twenty five bucks and used it!   Of course my buddies thought I was nuts.   Attached is a photo of it in the snow in the late 1950's - took my parents and my little brother up Angels Crest Highway to Mt. Wilson (Southern California).  Didn't care what it was really worth (probably less....!)  then...nor do I care now what it is worth.  I just happen to have liked it then...and still like it now (which explains why I used it the other day to go to the grocery store...!)    Oh...yes....over the years...new tires...paint...some "general fixin's.....and a couple of new  BATTERIES down thru the years....!)

PACKARD ange crest.png

• Like 12

Bought this 41 Plymouth at age 14 in 1978.  I claimed my grandmother's garage for the next decade or so till she moved into assisted living.

A lot of fun and I may have driven around the neighborhood a few times.  Sold to buy a tri five Chevy but actually ended up with a Camaro instead. The math:

Purchase $450

Spent: $400- 500+ (tires, tune up, all new brakes, etc.)

Dad drove it to a local car show, fun!

Sold $600 or $650

🤔  

20221026_153949.jpg

• Like 6

My first antique car was a 1960 Cadillac.  Quite long.  Was living with my brother and sister in law. Pulled in teh driveway and before I could get to the door my sister in law was out shouting "Oh hell no that thing aint staying here!".  She never warmed up to it, and since I was not in a position to afford my own house yet, I sold it about six months later.  But the bug stuck and once in my own place bought a '52 Chevy Pickup. Then a few parts pick ups and well you know how it goes.

• Like 4

Boy time flies when you are not paying attention. My first Antique Car was purchased when in High school. That was in 1958. It was a 1930 Ford  Murray Bodied sedan. Man that was a learning experience. It ran but not well. I learned some about engines and had the engine sleeved to get the compression back to specs. I learned the hard way about 'timing' when taking a trip down to a drive in movie. On the way down I noticed it was running HOT and didn't have as much power as I thought it should. I pulled over to inspect and found that the spark lever control rod was not connected to the distributer. I guess I forgot to reconnect it after the engine rebuild. It was running full retard.  After it cooled down and I refastened that rod wow it scurried up the hiway like it should do! It's the little things in life that count. 

It had well worn to non existent upholstery. A friend of Dad ran an upholstery shop and I took the A down to his shop one Sat. He looked at it and said "I won't do that BUT You will and I will show you how! That was an unexpected learning experience that I am forever appreciative of. Actually, Upholstery is not all that scary once you are properly introduced to it. I NOW have a good old SINGER industrial 604  Machine and enjoy using it. I give credit to that Model A for getting me started in '"Antique Cars".  Over time I have acquired several Dodge Brothers cars and enjoy researching those. I am charter member (#90) of the Dodge Brothers Club.  Gotta Keep Busy!

• Like 5

On 11/6/2023 at 7:26 AM, 60FlatTop said:

As with many facets of my life, in car buying every purchase decision I made in my life has brought me to today. And I wouldn't change it for what might have happened.

And all those mistakes and cars that did not meet my expectations.... I sold them.

Hi 60FlatTop……….My most profound apologies if I mistakenly implied that there was something wrong with following your heart when selecting antique/classic car projects to collect, restore or sell.

I write to the forum as a way of communicating with people who share the interest in the hobby of admiring, and possibly the collection and restoration of old machines.

Hopefully, the subscribers to the forum share my interest in old machines, and can understand that I am a “do’er” and not a “say’er”, and I write to the forum as a extension of a hobby, not as a critic, teacher, publicist or paid contributor.

There are times when I do have some question myself, or can offer a answer to help another regarding a project appropriate for posting on the forum.

But, I would rather be viewed as a mentor to those new to the hobby, and I do not possess the literary skills essential to put my thoughts into words without offending their predisposed opinions. So, whatever I do post has probably evaded my careful scrutiny, and has been posted by accident.

Jack 

IMG_1791.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RAH said:

Boy time flies when you are not paying attention. My first Antique Car was purchased when in High school. That was in 1958. It was a 1930 Ford  Murray Bodied sedan. Man that was a learning experience. It ran but not well. I learned some about engines and had the engine sleeved to get the compression back to specs. I learned the hard way about 'timing' when taking a trip down to a drive in movie. On the way down I noticed it was running HOT and didn't have as much power as I thought it should. I pulled over to inspect and found that the spark lever control rod was not connected to the distributer. I guess I forgot to reconnect it after the engine rebuild. It was running full retard.  After it cooled down and I refastened that rod wow it scurried up the hiway like it should do! It's the little things in life that count. 

It had well worn to non existent upholstery. A friend of Dad ran an upholstery shop and I took the A down to his shop one Sat. He looked at it and said "I won't do that BUT You will and I will show you how! That was an unexpected learning experience that I am forever appreciative of. Actually, Upholstery is not all that scary once you are properly introduced to it. I NOW have a good old SINGER industrial 604  Machine and enjoy using it. I give credit to that Model A for getting me started in '"Antique Cars".  Over time I have acquired several Dodge Brothers cars and enjoy researching those. I am charter member (#90) of the Dodge Brothers Club.  Gotta Keep Busy!

10-4 on that Good Buddy………But, gone are the days when someone will be available, and willing, to bail a person out of a decision made during a period of successive brain f**ts.

Dad is long dead, as are my older brothers, uncles, aunts and real, as compared to “cyber” friends.

Now, if I didn’t have metal working, upholstery, painting, machinist, electrical, carpentry and whatever other skills are required to sustain an old car hobby, I would either have to pay a professional to do it instead, or scrap the project.

We were very fortunate that we learned basic mathematics, had access to school provided vocational-technical training, and were surrounded by people who thought helping a kid fix a bicycle was more important than lecturing them on gender selection.

Consequently, a person with car payments, union dues, transportation expenses, the cost of room and board and medical bills, coupled with the hours work required to pay for it may not be able to attend a vocational-technical institution to learn skills associated with the hobby.

Enter people like we hope ourselves to be. 
I thoroughly enjoy showing another the primer ports on the engine of my 1923 DB Roadster. Equally enjoyable is explaining why it was necessary to include a spark advance and accelerator control lever on the steering wheel of my 1927 Willys Knight. And I cannot imagine any situation which could make me so busy I don’t have time for a “hands-on demonstration of what I just explained.

Yep, Google and Yelp are great……..but there is nothing greater than the willingness of a learn-ed mentor to offer their time, effort and applied energy  to whet the appetite of a potential Jay Leno.

Jack

Edited by Jack Bennett (see edit history)
  • Like 2

My first antique  was a 1930 Plymouth purchased by me from the original owner in 1962.  Still have it and finally getting around to restoring it after  20 years in storage.  It's about 80% done which in restoration parlance means  I have about 60% left to finish!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I bought this model TT flat bed truck when I was 15. Saved up the $100 to buy it from a farmer who had loaned it to a church to hold a sign near the road. I had a friend help me drag it home to our farm five miles aways using an old F-12 Farmall tractor. My late mother, Barbara Osterman, was an artist and one picture shows her painting it near our barn. The man in the picture was Joe Roaches, an eccentric man in our area from whom I bought my second model T. Also shown here as I bought it from Joe and after I built a body for it.

IMG_3200.jpeg

IMG_3196.jpeg

IMG_3198.jpeg

IMG_3197.jpeg

IMG_3199.jpeg

IMG_6153.jpeg

IMG_2868.jpeg

Edited by Mark Osterman (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I bought a Model A farm truck at the age of 13 in 1971.  It had been sitting in a field since 1949.  Trucks weren't that popular back then, and this one was in 'parts car' condition at best, so it had been passed over by any who knew what they were doing.  It cost me $25, and another $5 to have it towed home.  I joined the AACA that winter and went to my first Hershey the next fall.  Finally got the thing running about three years later.  In 1995, I began a frame-up restoration, and took it to its first show in 2009, where it won a first junior.  It won the Senior in 2011, and I look forward to entering it in the Grand National in Charlotte in 2024.

My Dad's sound advice (which I continue to fail to follow to this day) was to look for cars with solid bodies, as body and paint work is always more costly than mechanical repairs.

Here is a photo on the show field in Charlotte in 2011.

P4090596.JPG.57705fe5f7ae3411b6075d1ded012c70.JPG

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

When I turned 16 in 1963 my dad said I could have my choice of a '55 Pontiac 2dr hardtop or a '32 Ford 5-window with a Plymouth V-8. I chose the Duece. In June of 1975 I was on disability from a work injury and sold the '32 and my '58 Corvette. I was flush with money for a while but it was not worth the regrets.

1932 Ford 5-W.jpg

Edited by kidd65
add photo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Was not looking, but when it came up for sale locally, I couldn't help buying it. don't care if I got a 'good deal' or not, seemed like a wonderful car for price. Came with spare engine, trans, everything from fan blade to rear axle assembly. Runs, drives nice, rebuilt engine, transmission and 1939 overdrive installed.

image.jpeg

• Like 5

My 400 dollar Riviera, bought at age 16 with my lawn mowing funds. 430 four barrel, ram air cleaner, white leather.  I was the happiest kid in town.  I wish I still had it and wonder if it survived. 

image.jpeg.5668816f15b77b8a81be5daa800ee0f8.jpeg

• Like 2