What was your favorite road car?

Angelfish

Two cars I've enjoyed driving are my '78 GMC Caballero and my '92 Buick Park Avenue. The GMC is a very distinctive ride and I've never tired of it, even after 44 years. The Park Avenue is still my favorite long hauler. Economical even by today's standards, reliable and as comfortable as a living room sofa. I still have them both.

IMG_1620.JPG

1992 Buick Park Avenue.jpg

• Like 1

Not really an answer to the OP question but in my case, it's a function of age.  Fifty years ago, I liked to drive and liked most anything I drove.  Now there's more idiots on the road and I'm older, grumpier and have more aches and pains.  No matter what I drive, it's a distasteful chore just getting from point A to point B with minimal hassle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My former 2000 Cadillac STS would have fit the bill for me.  My current daily driver, below (will turn 200k miles this week), is a close second.

7B89BDDA-3A62-4CE4-BCC5-32478729299E.jpeg

• Like 2

I did about 600 highway miles behind the wheel of a Pierce 12 several years ago and would not have minded driving through the night and doubling that number… but then again, I wasn’t paying for the gas. 

I have three that come to mind. 1911 Cadillac Model 30 Touring, 1932 Ford Roadster and 2014 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1. They were all fun to drive and made any trip enjoyable. The Cadillac I had on several 100 mile plus day trips. I drove to 32 to the L.A. Roadster Show from Ohio and back. I put over 30,000 miles on that car. The ZL1 was everything it was advertised as and more.

11cad17h.jpg

hr14.jpg

14zl42.jpg

Edited by Brass is Best (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1970 Buick Estate Wagon. That 370HP 455 just wanted to go.👍  Enough room for my legs. I had changed the front seat out with a 6 way from an Oldsmobile so my butt was comfortable too.

The '70 Estate wagon was/is a bit of an oddity.

It marked Buick's first return to a full-size wagon since 1964, and it was the year before all GM divisions (except Cadillac) offered full-size wagons across the line with the Glide-away (clamshell) tailgate.

Craig

09st006.jpg

09st003.jpg

09st007.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 1972 Citroen SM,

or any of the several Citroen DS-21 series we've owned.

or maybe our 1954 Cadillac convertible

1954 CADDY IN THE FRENCH QUARTER.jpeg

Taos Chrome 2010 - 1954 Cadillac 007.jpg

Taos Chrome 2010 - 1954 Cadillac 009.jpg

• Like 3

None-collector; My wife's late '14 Lincoln MKX, killed by an uninsured, unlicensed parolee, who was very much dismayed to discover he'd just totalled  one of HIS parole officer's car by busting a U-turn illegally on the crest of a hill in front of my wife, who put a stop to that nonsense by hitting him in the driver's door at 55mph. Said parole officer was even more dismayed and has to fight to be fair everytime he drives the replacement, a '17 Cadillac Xt5 that is way not his choice despite being a Gm person.

The '96 and '98 Corvettes have both been cars I wanted to keep driving at the end of a trip. But, actually, I love to drive, period. If I liked it enough to buy it, I'd probably enjoy driving it nonestop.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Angelfish said:

The car that at the end of a 500 mile day you still wish you had another 100 to go.  

Asking because I just got back from four hours herding an F-450 dually loaded with nails.   Got me to wondering what the other end of the scale would be.

I was thinking of starting a driving question, worded a bit differently. I really liked driving 24 foot Ryder rental trucks, most idiots stay out of your way, and I billed on an hourly rate. At 71 I guess I haven't driven enough cars to  notice any real outstanding differences between them.

Bob

15 hours ago, Angelfish said:

The car that at the end of a 500 mile day you still wish you had another 100 to go.  

Asking because I just got back from four hours herding an F-450 dually loaded with nails.   Got me to wondering what the other end of the scale would be.

Thats too funny. Having driven a plethora of Dump trucks from good to bad I can associate with this.

I have only had 2 antique cars, a 57 190sl which most def would not fit into this category. Slow and not very comfortable, the handling of a geriatric eel. The second is my current 77 Trans Am. It runs great, handles like the Acela, and has tons of power. But its loud and moderately comfortable. Although I have not had it on long drive I know I could.

I suppose it fits into AACA guidelines now, my son had an '88 cadillac fleetwood. That car would glide down the road with the comfort of your living room all day long (not to be confused with the pontiac in the 4 sale thread, LOL).

My best modern car is easily my 2013 F150. Smooth riding, plenty of power and comfortable. I could drive that to the west coast and back. My wifes 2014 mustang on the other hand runs great but my body aches after an hour or so.

11 hours ago, 61polara said:

Right now it's a 2013 Cadillac ATS.  Last summer on one day I left Charlotte, NC at 3:00 AM for Atlanta and then Auburn, IN.  Arrived at Midnight.  920 miles.  My one day record.  Past long trip favorite cars are 1967 Lincoln and 1978 Chrysler Cordoba.

This could be another topic. My personal bests are:

New Orleans to Menasha, Wi. [I drive my wife flies]. I left at 3:30 am and picked my wife up that night at 10:15 in the Appleton, Wi airport. 1120 miles in a 1990 Buick Reatta. Age 62

This last fall Home to Waco 1170 miles in a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica. Age 65

However favorite road car 1993 Buick Roadmaster. 

• Like 1

1990 Ford Aerostar. Was the most comfortable seats I've ever felt. Unfortunately it wasn't made very well and rusted badly. We had it from 1997-03 and I miss it. Our current family car is a 2018 Ford Edge and is a close second. In a couple of months we will be taking the longest trip either my brother or I have ever taken it it, and I can't wait. 

My all time favorite was a 1967 sky blue Cadillac sedan Deville. Nothing fancy by Caddy standards with dark blue cloth seats and AC. It was a pleasure to drive and the ride was great.  Wish I still had it.

Have you noticed how many  60s and 70s GM are included in this thread?  Also newer GMs have a good showing.

• Like 1

Bought this '70 SS Chevelle in late '69 and drove while in college and after graduation for three more years. That car was amazing, cowl induction, high hp, 4 speed, great highway cruiser. Really miss that one. Married, kids on the way, and new career meant a larger family car in 1974 however.   Skip in MN.

Scan 132540017.jpg

• Like 2

Based on the description for a road car for us the SL has been tough to beat.  Sporty but much more a comfy GT that can be a cozy coupe with its hardtop, or a convertible.  Not overly complicated, but AC, pw, etc. Leather, wood, not tight either, especially compared to true sports cars we have had as well as modern midsize cars. 

Plenty of power being a V8.  The R107 series were called Panzerwagons alluding to a more muscular appearance, definately not a car that gets pushed around by wind or road conditions at speed.

Typical MB firmer seats but after 4 hours you see why, it is very comfortable for longer drives. 

We have kept this car for 12 years now, it would be tough to move it along - I am glad our adult son wants it.  

@hook, that is a beautiful Lincoln.  Definately a short list car when the boy claims the SL.

For now we drive it a lot.

FB_IMG_1537716637903.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Kerry its a 560, they say for these the early 450s or late 86 - 89 560 are the ones to have but I like the 6 stick variants as well, Jag like DOHC 6 that looks cool under the hood. 

I like the later SLs as well, but complexity goes way up.  This car is largely accessible for maintenance, it looks like a 72 to untrained eye but has ABS, etc. Lots of under skin improvements made during the run.

I also have an SL. 1987 560 SL. 2nd owner bought in 1995. DD for several years, now driven when the Sun is out and I want to drive around with the top down. Will never sell it as it was my dream car growing up 

3AA7CE6F-4402-4C73-A51A-7641F642E40C.jpeg

• Like 2

I look at the 560's all of the time and I see some decent 450's. Maybe someday. Like a lot of things though it seems like they are going up in value all of the time. By the time Im ready they will most likely be out of reach. I just love the lines on these cars, very classic styling. Almost like an XKE but one can afford to drive on a regular basis.

• Like 2

Favorite Road Car?    :

Lots of answers here are new cars to me, which I expect would all be good road cars.   But this is an Antique Car Forum!

As to old cars, this 1935 Chrysler Airflow C1 gets my vote.   135 HP Flathead straight 8 with a 3 speed T-85 Transmission

with Freewheeling & overdrive.   This with the driver an paassengers sitting between the front & rear axles, the long wheel base offerd a very comfortable ride,   This particular car did 13 Great American Races and one Peking to Paris Rally.   I did about 50,000+ road miles and 9 years

in it.  A truely amazing automobile.

Now for pure modern luxury, my wife's 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood wiht a LT-! engine was a dream cruise car.   Fast, smooth and comfortable.

My busoness car was a Z-Car, starting with a 72 Datsun 240 Z,  then a 280 Z, then a 280 ZX and finally a 300 ZX.    Twenty years of joy from

Datsun to Nissan.  My wife's Cadillac caused me to switch to a 91 Buick Riviera.

My truck is a 1981 El Camino Conquista,  now with 175,000 miles and still a great ride with a 305 V8 with automatic & A/C.

Ted's TAXI.jpg

97Fleetwood.jpg

240 Z.jpg

el camino .JPG

5 hours ago, TAKerry said:

F-450 dually loaded with nails.

Hard to imagine. Several hundred pounds of nails.

My daily driver vehicle is a Toyota pickup which is very annoying for highway travel, springs much too harsh, even the smaller bumps in the road get transmitted. I think most newer full size pickups are actually better in that regard.

32 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Hard to imagine. Several hundred pounds of nails.

My daily driver vehicle is a Toyota pickup which is very annoying for highway travel, springs much too harsh, even the smaller bumps in the road get transmitted. I think most newer full size pickups are actually better in that regard.

I am amazed at the ride on my 2019 F-150 Mike. I think wheelbase is 140" which helps a lot though.  Still plenty comfy even without any load.  (Seems to me a load often improved the ride on prior pick ups.)

What was your favorite road car?

In strict terms? I don't think it would be any of the old cars I've owned, either as vintage/old cars...or back when they were newer (and I was newer, too.😄) Advances in technology have meant that seats are more comfortable, steering and brakes are better and suspensions absorb shock better in new cars than old cars. And when you add in the peace of mind that the improved reliability of new cars provides drivers, that makes trips more enjoyable, too.

But if you mean best road cars of the old cars we've owned, I seem to recall some of my Chevies of the early '70's as being pretty nice. A '70 Monte Carlo and a '71 Nova I owned had impressive acceleration for cars that were only equipped with 2 bbl. carbs. Both had 350 engines, and I'd say the Nova was quicker than the SS 396 Chevelle I owned. And I remember that Chevelle - a '70 - as having noticeably better handling than most of the other cars I'd driven up til then (which was not many.) I also owned a couple of great big Impala/Caprice cars from '71/'72, and they had very cushion-y rides that absorbed most of the bumps and road noise nicely. I owned all of these cars in my teens and twenties.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)