Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day

Steve Moskowitz

I expected to see a thread here as usual about this day so since there is not one let me chime in.  No this is not car related but without the sacrifice of this nation during WWII we might not be enjoying the car hobby today.  This morning, staring at my dad's WWII uniform it reminded me the world is forgetting about these brave men and women.  We should never forget ,so hopefully you will indulge me in reading an email that went out to our staff and board today.

I do not often put out emails like this but this year I feel compelled to do so.  Today is a day of remembrance, “Pearl Harbor Day” which is also a day many Americans do not appreciate nor have any idea of what it means.  That is sad.  I see my dad’s WWII uniform every morning.  It reminds me, not often enough, that the “greatest generation” made sacrifices beyond comprehension so that we can enjoy the freedom we have today.  We all could be speaking another language if it was not for them and have a far worse life if not for their willingness to fight for us.

Things around the world are turbulent and our own country lives with massive dysfunction by a political system that no longer puts everyone’s best interest at heart.  However, it is still the best country in the world so I hope that we all can give thanks in our own way to all those men and women who did their part.  That’s all.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 16

My father was on the deck of the light cruiser U.S.S. Phoenix when this photo was taken as it got underway during the attack. The burning battleships are in the background. My father, Homer Bartlett, joined the Navy at age 15 (he claimed he was 16) in 1938. He ultimately became a warrant officer during the war. Later in life, he founded Bartlett's Business Machines in Houston and became one of the city's largest independent cash register dealers. His hobby was antique cars, and he owned a '29 Packard Super 8 club sedan, a '31 LaSalle phaeton, '38 Chrysler convertible coupe and '40 LaSalle convertible coupe, among others. The latter two cars are still in the family.  By the way, this photo or video footage is in nearly all the Pearl Harbor books or media programs I see.

1280px-USS_Phoenix_%28CL-46%29_steams_down_the_channel_at_Pearl_Harbor_on_7_December_1941_%28NH_50766%29.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

My dad had just finished boot camp and expected to go home to his National Guard unit when the Japanese attacked. When asked, all he would say about the war was that he walked from North Africa to Berlin.

I knew a Pear Harbor survivor and because I knew him I met several others. When asked, these men would tell their story of that one day and very little about the rest of the war.

I knew a Bataan survivor. He wouldn't speak of the march, but he didn't hesitate to tell the story of being freed from the mines when the guards all dissipated one day.

With Pearl Harbor the country had a common injury, a shared hardship and a common goal. 

Pearl day 1941.png

Dec 7.png

• Like 5

My Father-in-Law was not at Pearl Harbor but was a Marine that fought in the south Pacific until the Japanese surrendered. He was a humble everyday guy from a small community in rural West Virginia. He never spoke much of the war or the action he saw on those tiny islands. He has been gone now since 2008 and we miss him. There were many great men and women from this generation and we owe them all a great debt of gratitude.

• Like 3

Thanks Steve we should remember that generation for their sacrifice and willingness to fight for what they thought was right. Not only for us but for others that we’re being attacked that did not have the resources of this country. 

If you ever visit Hawaii make the time to visit the memorial. It is amazing to me the Arizona is still shading tears every day even after 80 years. If you have never been there It is what the tour guides call the oil that is slowly seeping out of the ship. Small drops that look like tears. You get that feeling like you get at Gettysburg or the graveyards of Normandy.  Truly the greatest generation. 
dave s 

• Like 2

On December 7th of each year I remember what happened on this date in 1941 and I also remember my friend Leonard Noble Jackson. Leonard survived the attack while stationed in Pearl Harbor that morning. I met Leonard because he was a member of AACA and my local Cape Fear Chapter of AACA. He was an interesting old guy with some interesting stories.

• Like 1

My father enlisted in the Marine Corps after graduating from HS. Defended our freedom at Tarawa and Okinawa and defended our country again in Korea. My brother followed in his footsteps at the US Naval Academy and 20 years in the Marine Corps. I did 38 years in the US Navy and had the privilege of living on Ford Island in one of the original homes 300 yards from the USS ARIZONA Memorial. Steve, thanks for your message and thanks to all my fellow veterans for your service

• Like 3

Both of my Grand Fathers and many of my old car friends served in WWII. I grew up listening to their stories. They were just kids when they went to war. But they did what they had to do to save the world. Freedom is a very fragile thing. Today it seems that many do not understand that. My friend Paul Patterson was in a movie theater with friends in Cedar Rapids Iowa when the movie suddenly stopped. The theater owner walked in front of the screen and told the audience that the Japanese had Bombed Pearl Harbor. The next day he enlisted in the Navy and served on the USS Iowa BB-61. My friend Larry Porter flew B-25 Mitchell Bombers out of North Africa and later Italy. My Grandpa Jim served on the USS Runner a Submarine. He only spoke about it a few times. After he passed away I read the war record of the Runner. He was depth charged many times as they carried out commerce raiding near Japan. He was in Tokyo Bay when the war ended. My Grandpa Louie was an anti-aircraft gunner and fire control man on the USS Hornet and USS Cabot both aircraft carriers. We all need to learn history so that it cannot repeat itself. Remember Pearl Harbor.

40cad57.jpg

40cad59.jpg

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

many Americans do not appreciate nor have any idea of what it means.  That is sad. 

So true.... all four of my children went thru school not being taught about December 7th... I have to remind them that their Grandfathers fought in Korea and Viet Nam. 

God Bless our Veterans !

Steve

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

"I see my dad’s WWII uniform every morning." 

I walk past one of my dads purple hearts (got two) many times a day as it is mounted in my shop in a display I made for him. Many don’t even know what it is or probably care.

He made a right to check for mail after seeing a movie on deck when a kamikaze hit. Buddy that was beside him didn’t make it. He was in charge of launching the planes on deck. He never flew in an airplane.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing guys.  My father too was one of those who would not speak of his time in the Pacific.  I once found a box of items from the war and some pictures.  My dad went ballistic and did not want me to look at them.  I guess that speaks to the unspeakable things they saw and were asked to do.  I cannot imagine being put in those positions.  I have since given everything but his uniform to the WWII museum in New Orleans. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My wife’s grandfather served in the Indian army in the Burma campaign and was captured by the Japanese. Essentially kicked out of India at independence, had the choice of Australia or Canada and accepted a commission in the RAAF. Eventually rose to air commodore (equivalent would be something like a brigadier general) before retiring just before Vietnam - he helped establish a structured dog training program for the military and police

My side of the family was the wrong age for world war 2 asides from the home front. 

I don’t know if the US had the same thing, but our archives you can get anyone’s service records from that time. They’ve finished world war 1 and are nearly done on world war 2, it’s normally free but I paid to expedite the scanning of a family members while he was still alive - he’d never seen most of it

Edited by hidden_hunter (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Steve, thank  you for starting this with a well written post. I too had a few relatives that fought in the war. My grandmothers next door neighbor was a Navy diver stationed at Pearl Harbor at the time of the attack. I was just a kid when he was alive and he was a great guy, but never spoke of the war. I cant begin to imagine some of the things he saw and did. 

I saw on the news that there are something like 80 survivors of the attack alive today. 

• Like 1

There were four of of us boys and mom was pregnant when Dad went in. I remember him leaving, hitchhiking, to catch a train.  I was seven.  He came home just over a year later. Sent home because of the size of the family. He walked several miles from the train depot to home. 

The ones at home jumped in and worked their hearts out to supply what was needed for the war.  I do appreciate the Service Men.  That entire generation outdid themselves.  Somewhere along the way I fear our generation and the next stumbled.

REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR.

Ben

• Like 4

My dad joined the navy right after Pearl Harbor. He flew in blimps, PBY’s and B24’s They ended up with a metal for being the most shot at squadron in the pacific. He was a radio man and his plane got hit twice, one time the radio was the only thing that stopped the shell. If it hadn’t I would not be here. They never left Pearl Harbor for the whole war!  They towed the targets for the ships leaving the harbor target practice. He said you could tell the rookies from the vets. The rookies couldn’t hit the 50 foot long target and the vets always aimed and hit the tow cable causing the plane crew a lot of work to get a new one out. 
Someone had to do it, I’m glad he never saw real action. 
dave s 

• Like 2

There is a great book, Freedom's Forge" by Arthur Herman, which chronicles the contribution the auto industry and specifically Bill Knudsen did in the second world war and how mass production brought us victory.  According to this book, I think it is important point out, that more US citizens died in the zone of the interior in war production than in actual combat.  This is in no way to take away from the glorious deeds the solder's, sailors and airmen contributed to the final outcome but to also recognize the sacrifice of those on the home front.  I think this book speaks to everything that is great about this country and what can happen when government gets out of the way.  It give great detail to the early leaders of the society of automotive engineers many of whom had little formal education but were brilliant in what they did to make America great.  I have bought hundreds of copies of this book and freely given them to anyone who I think would be interested asking only that they pass it along for others to enjoy.  I think it is safe to say that without the auto industry the outcome would have been in doubt or at the very least a much longer conflict.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My uncle was OSS in WWII. Air dropped into China. If 'the bomb' didn't work, plan B was ready. Had two ropes on each shoulder (tank, paratrooper, marksman, artillery). We were never allowed to ask or mention the war in his presence (my father's instructions, not him). He was a super nice guy. Miss him.0

The photo is from a best friend on a visit. Different view than you see most of the time.

IMG_0181 (1).JPG

Edited by 72caddy (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still remember Franklin Delano Roosevelt's deep voice, saying,

"Yesterday, December 7th , is a day that will live in infamy."

December 7, 1941 and September 11, 2001 are arguably the worst days in United States history....

I really don't want our American troops to be involved in the Soviet -

Ukrainian border.... We do not need any more American heroes / military men spilling red blood.....

• Thanks 1

After Pearl Harbor my mom though we would lose the war and got a job riveting warbirds. My dad went into the army.  Mom talked a lot about the war years my dad never did.  Somehow, he thought he hadn't done his part because he never went overseas.  My uncle was told he was too old (mid-thirties) but by 1943 they let him join and he was killed at Normandy.  Only my mom would talk about that uncle and she knew some interesting details, five years ago I told those details to his niece and all of it was news to her.  So many of the greatest generation had vivid memories and closed lips. So, my point is if you have family stories share them with your grandchildren.

• Like 1

My Dad and all of his brothers but one were too old to serve in WWII and that one died of TB in 1944 and was sick for a long time before that, so he could not serve either.  My Mother's brother went in during 1944 and served in England.  I did have a number of older first cousins who served in WWII.  One was a machine gunner and earned a metal for protecting a bridge from the German's while his squadron got away.  In all the years I knew him, he never mentioned or showed that metal to anyone I know of.  But, his older brother knew, and told me about it after the veteran cousin died.  Another first cousin served in the Navy at some time during the War.  I was the 3rd youngest of 19 first cousins, born in 1938, but living just outside of D.C., I remember the home front pretty well.  My Dad grew a War Garden in the back yard and we had a house with four bedrooms.  Many young women came from all over the U.S. to work for the Government and my parents rented out two bedrooms, two to a room to do do their part in housing those girls.  I remember those girls crying the day that Franklin Roosevelt died when I was 6 years old.  My wife had a number of Uncles and first cousins who served overseas during WWII.  I knew most of those before they passed.  My mother's uncle served in WWI.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

8 hours ago, SC38dls said:

If you ever visit Hawaii make the time to visit the memorial. It is amazing to me the Arizona is still shading tears every day even after 80 years. If you have never been there It is what the tour guides call the oil that is slowly seeping out of the ship. Small drops that look like tears. You get that feeling like you get at Gettysburg or the graveyards of Normandy.  Truly the greatest generation. 
dave s 

On the other side of the world, go to the American Cemetery at Normandy and walk the beaches below the cliffs and look at obstacles those guys faced on D-Day.  Go to Point du Hoc and look at terrain and walk the beaches.  With 9,386 graves at the American cemetery and thousands more at the Commonwealth cemeteries you just stand in awe at those that gave it all. 

We are indebted.

On the other side of the pendulum swing, go to one of the concentration camps and you will be personally moved by the cause of the fight.  Those visits are truly gut wrenching.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My Grandmother's older brother Harry was working at Pearl Harbor in 1941 in Corps of Engineers.   He was a Civil Engineer and had worked on one of the Snake River dam projects during the 30's, so he was probably working on waterway improvements at Pearl.   My cousin found these photos when he was cleaning out his mom's house after she passed away.   Harry had written a few notes on the back side. First photo  "This is the office where I work.  Behind is the channel where the ships go back and forth".  second photo "This is the house we rent in Honolulu for $150 per month", and numbers  identified all the exotic fruits that were growing in the yard.  Each photo was dated July 1941.  My father never mentioned that Uncle Harry had been at Pearl in 1941, so all I know about his time there is what little my cousin told me plus a few photos from that time.   Harry would have been safely away from the harbor during the attack since it took place on Sunday, but if he had been at the office it would have been a front row seat to the attack. Some day I need to get Harry's records to find out how long he worked at Pearl and what he might have been doing.  

Pearl District Engineer office.jpg

Honolulu house.jpg

• Like 1

My uncle Al, who is almost 99 and is in hospice was at Pearl 80 years ago yesterday.........sorry for being late by an hour, as I was on the road. He is the most gentle guy you could ever meet......and hard as concrete. He went on to become a navigator on 29’s. He crashed two times, once in the Pacific and he has the scars on his face to prove his service. The horror stories of pulling men out of the harbor was very seldom told as it was too difficult. He stayed in the service and retired as a Colonel. In 1950 he bought 25 acres of land on Oahu. He sold it in the late 1970’s and enjoyed a wonderful retirement. He went blind ten years ago. He never complained and found work to do until just last year. Remarkable guy.

He took me to the punch bowl  cemetery as a young teen. He knew many of the men there, and showed me the graves of some of the men he personally pulled from the water. Every year while living in Hawaii he would leave a can of beer for his buddies on their graves.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Thanks again everyone, I did not expect this many posts but they are moving and interesting.  We all are historians by nature I guess whether it is cars or the past.  There are times I get upset with some pettiness that goes on in our forums but other times, like all these replies, I am pleased we offer this service.  Your stories continued to make this year's December 7th even more meaningful to me. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, prewar40 said:

After Pearl Harbor my mom though we would lose the war and got a job riveting warbirds. My dad went into the army.  Mom talked a lot about the war years my dad never did.  Somehow, he thought he hadn't done his part because he never went overseas.  My uncle was told he was too old (mid-thirties) but by 1943 they let him join and he was killed at Normandy.  Only my mom would talk about that uncle and she knew some interesting details, five years ago I told those details to his niece and all of it was news to her.  So many of the greatest generation had vivid memories and closed lips. So, my point is if you have family stories share them with your grandchildren.

Write it down, go beyond the spoken words. Written history has been used to keep the tale told going for hundreds of years. You do not have to be any great author etc to just write down what you remember or had been told by the person who experienced it - they were there. First thing any historian, automotive, or other history has to be is a good listener. these forums have that type who participate here , others are , well , just vocal................. want their opinion and perception noted, recorded and first and foremost , I will stop here as anything further stated will get severely edited.

Walt

Edited by Walt G
clarification (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Read a little Steinbeck to see how a few, common, descriptive words can put one in the specific place and time, so much more eloquently than dry reporting of actions and results.  So when interviewing, ask "how did you feel when this happened?  what did you see and hear?"  I prefer to let the interviewee get his/her story out as they wish to tell it, not interrupt, but go back over the narrative piece by piece to flesh out details and the human experience.

• Like 1

I have been reading this thread, sometimes a few times a day since it first began. I basically had decided to sit this one out as I have told several stories of my family's involvements in the war in several other recent threads. Once in awhile, I try to not be too redundant.

But I really do want to thank everyone that has posted stories of their families in this thread!

I wanted to add to my earlier post about Pearl Harbor Day and living on Ford Island in the 100+ year old homes there. I always considered it hallowed ground similar to Gettysburg, Normandy or Iwo Jima. You were reminded of Pearl Harbor and the sacrifices of 80 years ago every day you woke up and saw the ARIZONA Memorial from your front or back yard. I always paid my respects to those men who made the ultimate sacrifice to our nation that day. Every year on December 6th, the residents in the old houses would host the “In Harms Way” party at the old community pool which is in the opening scene of the 1965 John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, Patricia Neal movie. It was a great party that starts with a toast of remembrance to the sailors, soldiers and Marines and their families. Everyone attends in period dress and if you came in uniform, you could not wear anything (medals or insignia) that was post Dec 6, 1941. Several car collectors arrived in their pre-war cars. It was one of the best parties to start the holiday period and a well sought ticket if you were not a resident of Ford Island  

3 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I have been reading this thread, sometimes a few times a day since it first began. I basically had decided to sit this one out as I have told several stories of my family's involvements in the war in several other recent threads. Once in awhile, I try to not be too redundant.

But I really do want to thank everyone that has posted stories of their families in this thread!

A did Wayne, I've elected to sit on the sidelines and treasure the comments of others since I have previously noted my father's service and sacrifice per the 6th Special Battalion, SeaBees for the duration of WWII's Pacific Campaign.

I also want to thank everyone that has posted stories of their families in this thread!

May this also be a reminder that freedom is not free, 

and lest we forget history's lessons,

we are bound to repeat them.

My Grandfather fought in France WW1, the Battle of the Somme killed over a million men in 140 days. (this is his artillery group and the "machine of death")

image.png.aa50ebad84e048794d1eb5213324164f.png

My other Grandfather fought at Iwo Jima, 36 days 36,000 Americans lost (My Grandfathers ship, LSM 164 pulling into dock in China, we were allies, sort of, back then)

1708454917_LSM164China1945.jpg.77efb3030f5ed26a9019078ad5946e48.jpg

But the hardest days for Americans was Gettysburg 46 to 51,000 in 3 days

Too many, too soon, forget

On 12/7/2021 at 9:29 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Today is a day of remembrance, “Pearl Harbor Day” which is also a day many Americans do not appreciate nor have any idea of what it means

Neither of my Grandfather's ever talked about the war

The 1933 Graham I drive, was may Grandfather's car, he bought the Graham with his WW1 Bonus Money (that is a story, only time in history American Troops fired on American Veterans)

4 hours ago, Graham Man said:

My Grandfather fought in France WW1, the Battle of the Somme killed over a million men in 140 days. (this is his artillery group and the "machine of death")

My great grandfather was in the battle of the Somme and wounded by a German machine gun - took him over a year after the war ended to be fit enough to travel back to Australia. His unit was withdrawn owing to losses within days of being wounded

Other side was in the closing days of the Gallipoli campaign before blowing out his ankle falling in a shell crater 

The Australian archives have digitised all of the service records, correspondences  and log books so you can read the after action reports. Some of the days nothing notable happened other than a number of people KIA and WIA. Fascinating reading about the day to day of what they had to endure 

I’m a Johnny come lately here. My dad flew top turret in a B24. I got him to talk just once about WWII. He was in a lot on missions over Europe including Ploesti. He said the average flight time on a mission was 10 hours and his logbook for his flight time shows 2200 hours. It makes me wonder if the 25 mission magic number was true. He talked of low bombing runs where the Germans had gun placements hidden under big haystacks. Once in the runs, the haystacks opened up and all hell broke loose. He said Ploesti was a real low altitude run. I asked about how high, thinking 500-1000 feet or more. He said more like 150 or so. Had to be careful of bombs above you hitting your plane. He saw it happen & also spoke of the poor soul who had his face cut off when a prop let loose & cut through the fuselage. His scrapbook shows photos of some of the planes after a mission. There were flak holes in the fuselage big enough to walk through upright. They didn’t need to exit from the hatches. My mom said for years after the war he had nightmares about his plane engaged with German fighters, waking up shouting “get that son of a bitch.”

They truly are/were the greatest generation. And look what we’ve done to the strong, proud country they left us. We should all hang our heads in shame.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2