Garage Music?

BobinVirginia

I usually listen to Sirius radio, alternating among sixties, seventies, country classics, and Willie’s Roadhouse.

• Like 9

Ten Years After or any Alvin lee solo stuff , Social Distortion , Ted Nugent , Old country(not the new horseshit) , Richard Thompson ,

etc 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Sometimes classical, sometimes jazz, sometimes rock. Or whatever station is strongest at the time. Occasionally I dig out some 70s funk.

After being forced to listen to country as a child, there is no room for mainstream country in my life now. Red dirt, outlaw and Nashvegas, yes.

I have a 70s CD that I put on sometimes when the Pontiac bud is here. Has "Kung Fu Fighting" and Blue Swede version of "Hooked on a Feeling". Hoogah chakah y'all!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Often, it is Jimmie Rodgers, the original yodeling cowboy singer that died in 1933 from a long battle with tuberculosis. That he knew he was dying is likely part of why so much of his singing had so much feeling to it. Jimmie Rodgers (not to be confused with the later singer of the same name!) was the singer that Hank Williams and Slim Whitman tried to sound like.

Some times I listen to 1920s jazz and popular music. It has such a 'roaring' life to it, and is one of the basis for modern music from the 1930s until through the 1970s. About a hundred of the 1920's most popular songs still show up almost every day as background music on tv shows and commercials. That is because the music of those days tended to communicate a 'feeling'. And to this day? It still works!

Other times? (And often!) It is classical I listen to! Mostly better known works of the many great composers, including opera! Love Puccini and Verdi!

• Like 10

To me, "garage", in reference to music, means only one thing: mid-1960s bands such as The Standells, The Music Machine, The Count Five and other such "nuggets". I still have several mixed tapes with such stuff that I made back in the 1980s and I keep an old boombox in the garage to play that stuff, among other music.  My 40+ year old cassettes are still good to go, even if I don't play them in the house anymore. Until recently I still had a daily driver with a cassette deck, so the tapes lived in the car. But these days they're my "garage music". Radio... I have a love-hate relationship with radio. I love old tube radios, but I hate everything that comes out of the speaker, unless it's some obscure retro program. To me, nostalgia is not a passive thing, I always preferred to seek out, or to make, my own soundtrack.

• Like 4

Most of my listening is geared to my vehicle timelines. 1925. Lots of 1920s big bands etc. Whiteman, Coon-Sanders, Ted Weems, Gene Goldeket and Louis Armstrong. Wayne Sheldon's comment as to "roaring life" to it. All good bands have Banjos, Tubas and Bass Saxophones!

One of the new 20s sound bands is Michael Arenella and his Dreamland Orchestra. He owns a 1930 Studebaker and a 1930 Buick roadster.

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)
  • Like 7

I have an Amazon Echo device in the garage connected to some external powered speakers.  When I walk in the garage, I say, “Alexa, play Radio Paradise”.  Radio Paradise is an Internet station that plays a very eclectic mix of music from African pop to classical jazz to Elvis.  I’ll alternate with a stream of Eagles music or Crosby, Stills, and Nash. I have another Echo device in the kitchen and another in my office. Alexa will play anything I ask for.  Having lasagna for dinner?  “Alexa, play Italian cafe music.” I can also say, “Alexa, what is the tap drill for a 10-24 screw?” and get the answer dictated to me - handy when my hands are greasy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, CHuDWah said:

I like just about any kind of music, but I grew up with these guys and their car songs are especially appropriate in the garage.

R-2030233-1259571137.jpeg.jpg

16d3caf077c4284a3bd1f78de06649fc.jpg

Right!!! Lets keep it car related here.  All rise for the anthem-

"Little GTO, you're really lookin fine, three duces a four-speed and a 389....."

Terry

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have a very eclectic taste in music, Big bands, Sinatra, Classic Country esp. Marty Robbins, Johnny Cash, Rock faves include the Doors, Stones, Jay Black, Led Zep, acdc, Pink Floyd, Pretenders, even Guns & Roses. 

Today, the neighbors and I listened to some outlaws, as Green Grass & High Tides is required when weather breaks here in CT! 😎

Stop over you never know what will be on!

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Music should always be playing. I never turned the music off, just turned it down when I locked up the shop.

They say it keeps the mice away.  They don't like continuous noise.

As well, anyone walking by will think someone is inside, working, when its on all the time.  I leave the radio on 24/7.

Craig

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Right!!! Lets keep it car related here.  All rise for the anthem-

"Little GTO, you're really lookin fine, three duces a four-speed and a 389....."

Terry

"Just a li'l deuce coupe with a flathead mill, but she'll walk a Thunderbird like he's standin' still"  😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Music can be good, but when I'm in the garage

or outside, I like to open the garage doors in

warm weather and just hear the quiet of nature.

I'd rather be with my own thoughts than the 

thoughts of a radio.

I understand that as well. Sometimes the solitude or silence gives one an escape. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

They say it keeps the mice away.  They don't like continuous noise.

As well, anyone walking by will think someone is inside, working, when its on all the time.  I leave the radio on 24/7.

Craig

I left the music playing at night for the project cars. It seemed to calm them down. And get them ready for the transition/passage into the automotive after life. It was the ones that were stored on the lifts, that you had to keep an eye on. They were high enough to see what was going on. And the music helped drowned out their ability to tell the other cars that they were being lied to. And they are not going to automotive heaven. But rather being surgically altered, and forced to keep driving.😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Sometimes classical, sometimes jazz, sometimes rock.

Me too, I like a station that plays many different genres. 

I listen to WTJU in the garage, I have no internet in there yet, so over the air it is. They are the student run station at UVa. Lots of different genres. At 60 miles from the antenna, it is amazing I can receive it well, as their output is 1.85 kW with a coverage of 25 miles....🤔

Otherwise it is CDs of Rockabilly, Blues, R & B, Spike Jones (Ha!😆), Mongrel American Music (folk/rock), etc. etc. Nothing mainstream..... or whatever is on my iPod (remember those?).

27 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I left the music playing at night for the project cars. It seemed to calm them down. And get them ready for the transition/passage into the automotive after life. It was the ones that were stored on the lifts, that you had to keep an eye on. They were high enough to see what was going on. And the music helped drowned out their ability to tell the other cars that they were being lied to. And they are not going to automotive heaven. But rather being surgically altered, and forced to keep driving.😆

Let me guess.  Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Rust Never Sleeps!

Craig

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well, if automotive, more songs are about Cadillacs than all other cars combined by a factor of several to one. But then, of course, there is Ike Turner, “Rocket 88” or Chuck Berry “You Can’t Catch Me”. Every time I hear that  one it always slays me. That “Brand New Airmobile” of his !!!  “So I let out my wings, and I blowed my horn, said ‘Bye bye New Jersey I become airborne”. Yeah, “Gone like a cool breeze”, indeed !! I am lucky to be old enough to have gone to see and hear Ike with Tina and the Ikettes over 50 years ago. Got to catch Chuck , too, and see him do the “Duck Walk”. Very few people know who Clifford Jackson was. Stride piano. I met him in a small club in Manhattan way back then. Powerful left hand. Big regret that I never heard the Howlin’ Wolf at Zanzibar, or Roosevelt Sykes back home. My friend Hillbilly Willy and I did catch Sunnyland Slim at The “Chicago Blues” club up about 26-2700 block on N. Halststead on my way  to pick up my ‘24 Cad in Eastern Ohio back in June of ‘90. So I play stuff like that, and am a life member of the “Puget Sound Traditional Jazz Society”. Jazz from the Jazz Age, like the Jazz Age Cadillacs I drive. Listening out on the road often includes saxmen Lester Young and Ben Webster. For a little infusion of the Spirit of The Lord, more often than not it will be Rev. Brother Claude Jeeter and his fantastic falsetto along with the Swan Silvertones. I’ve got Sirius satellite radio in my Mercedes E550, and yer good old Grateful Dead often entertain me. Sometimes with tapes of concerts I attended.

And speaking of “Airmobiles”, I have mentioned before, for you aviation fans, the late aforementioned Jan Berry’s father, Bill, was an engineer for Howard Huges. He was aboard the flight of the “Spruce Goose” that day in Long Beach.    -   C Carl 

P.S. Hey John : looks like I was on the same frequency as you while tappin’ out the long form while you were working on the short form. Simultaneous flashback.   -   CC

Edited by C Carl
Add P.S. (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I'm all over the map. Lately I've had the Sirius 90s channel on a lot, but I'll go months where I only listen to 50s and 60s, or country, or my own cd collection which has everything from Mozart to the Black Eyed Peas. 

From Thanksgiving to Christmas it's Christmas music only. 

• Like 1

I am a musician, even played in a bar band when I was in school. I too have an eclectic taste in music. From Glenn Miller to Skynyrd. In my younger days I always had premium sound systems in my house and cars. Now my hearing isnt as good as it used to be so I have a few work site radios in my garages. One is a ridgid, one is a bosch cube, and one is a makita. All serve as radios, battery chargers and one even plays cds.  They all work great, the bosch I think is the best. I keep them tuned to 96.1  Its a station that caters to 50sh people like myself. I prefer 70's, and late 60's. I dont think there was a lot of good music in the 80's, and from the 90's on I dont think I could name any tunes if I had to.  I keep my sirius to 70's. At one time I had many hundreds of albums (yes albums not vinyl!) my son has been taking care of them for years now. I dont even bother with putting anything specific on now, just the radio.

On a side note at the risk of offending some,  'Why does every DJ at car shows/cruises insist on playing music form the 50's and beach music?  I love some Dick Dale but would like to hear something different at least once. AND as much as I love Skynyrd, it seems every motorcycle rally I have ever been to gravitates toward Southern Rock. I just dont get it!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

These days, I never listen to music from a dedicated stereo.  I gave away my amplifier and stereo speakers over 10 years ago to some dreadlocked nitwit my daughter was seeing at that time - I must have thought he would stick around for the long term.  Not the first miscalculation I have made in that regard, nor her, either.

I have a ton of music downloaded on my computer or iPod that I can stream through a portable bluetooth speaker.  This is handy if I'm in the garage, and I can take the iPod and speaker with me if I want to listen to music in the car, which I seldom want to do unless I'm with the wife on a long trip, or by myself on a local backroad, just to get away from the house.

I have three Amazon Alexa Echodots that we use for multiple purposes.  I turn on one in the mornings, playing low in the background as my wife and I enjoy our coffee before her 93-year old mother arises, forcing my wife to clock in for the day.  One cool thing about having an Amazon Prime subscription - I have access to Amazon Music.  There are NO annoying DJs on Amazon, unlike Sirius XM.  My XM subscription will be allowed to lapse when it expires.  

Another thing about Amazon Music is that it allows one to create his/her own playlist.  I have three separate Amazon Playlists - two of them featuring Rock/Pop from the 1960s to 1980s, and one with Classic Country from the 1950s to about 1985 or so.  The country music I like seemed to end around this time.

My wife uses one of the Alexa Echodots in the room where her mother spends her days in front of a TV.  She programs Alexa to remind her mother to go to the bathroom.  Her poor mother is battling dementia, and some days are much worse than others.  She can never remember the name Alexa, so she calls her Amanda.  "Amanda" will come on about once an hour, saying "This is a reminder - blankblank needs to go to the bathroom".  Without fail, my MIL says, "Thank ya, dear".  

One particularly bad day, my wife was even more stressed out than usual when she programmed the Alexa reminders.  She said "Alexa, please set a reminder for blankblank to take a ---- in one hour.  Alexa, please set a reminder for blankblank to take a ---- in two hours".  I know this was in bad taste, but for those who have been or have lived with caregivers, you can understand how the frustration level can overwhelm even the most evenhanded of us.

Sure enough, in an hour, Alexa came on saying - "This is a reminder - ---- needs to take a ----".  I heard my MIL reply "Thank ya, dear".

I hope I didn't hijack this thread too badly.  

• Like 1

@Dosmo

I hijacked a thread last night! Lol

This is just a conversation anyway! 
Bless your wife for taking care of her mother. That’s a tough task being a full time caregiver. The options of accessing music now are fantastic! Perhaps some of the options you just mentioned will be something new for someone reading the thread and they’ll benefit from it? 
Have a good day! 

• Like 2