Do you have an Bucket list of Cars you'd like to own?

Fargoguy

I was thinking about this last night- I have been very fortunate thus far to have a varied collection of cars to play with. As I get older, I'm thinning them down, upgrading, refining, but I kind of made a list in my head of cars i'd really like to own in my lifetime. Of course there are cars that will most likely ( unless i win the lottery) be out of reach like a Tucker or a Duesenburg, but I was trying to list 2 or 3 that i'd really like to own. What are on your list?

A 30's touring or closed car that is sorted and ready for the road- preferrably something big- Studebaker president, Buick, Packard etc- that I can hop in and drive anywhere 

60's Dodge Custom Sport special big block half ton

Early 50's Step Down Hudson

• Like 1

Ahh the mid winter question is back- early this year!  Limiting to cars I might buy no dreams...

I am surprised that I have yet to buy a T series MG, 55 - 57 Tbird, 61- 65 Lincoln or a 65- 66 Mustang.  All relatively affordable cars that i like enough to want to own.  None terribly unusual but each popular for a reason.

Had a few prewar cars but no Classics.  A much more open list but a couple cars come to mind- most any Sr. Packard or Cadillac 60 Special.  Maybe a Lincoln.

Two others that don't fit a particular list would be a 32 - 34 Ford trad. hot rod or a postwar Bentley R type through I think SIII.  

Oh a MB Pagoda and...

Forget it Tex is right.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Cars I wouldn't even look at years ago when I could afford them are now cars I would really like to have such as:

1. 1972 Monte Carlo

2. 1972 Pontiac Luxury LeMans

3. 1972 Buick Skylark 2-door

4. 1970-1976 Pontiac Grand Prix

Tim

• Like 2

My bucket list changes from time to time but right now what is on it is:

1.  1955 Packard Carribean Convertible (just like the one my Dad had)  

2.  1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

3.  1975 Ford Gran Torino (like the one I had years ago, green and white)

• Like 1

At the present: '50 Mercury

'50-'52 Hudson Hornet

'50 Studebaker

I have my eye on a '50 Chevy Fleetline 2dr sedan.Not a need,but a want,of course.My wife and I have several motor coach tour trips lined up for this year,so that will probably put the brakes on anymore cars for a while.

A Henry J or an early '50s Desoto would also be on the list.As you can tell,I love early '50s cars! *Subject to change at anytime*

• Like 3

My wish list by year:

1914-1915 Ford Model T Touring.

1930-1933 Franklin

1930-1931 Ford Model A Phaeton

1930-1931 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup

1933-1934 Ford V8 Coupe

1933-1934 Ford V8 Pickup

1933-1934 Dodge Pickup or Coupe

1935-1937 Studebaker Coupe Express Pickup

1937 Plymouth Pickup

1939-1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe

1940-1941 Ford Pickup

1956-1957 Chevy BelAir 2d hdtp.

1967 Mustang Fastback

1967-1969 Ford Ranger XLT short bed pickup

1970-1972 Dodge Challenger or Plymouth Cuda 340 with pistol grip 4-speed shifter

I plan to purchase one or two of the above in 2024 if I can find well sorted, driver quality examples. I'll know which ones when I see them..................

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Hey, get in line!

Here is your typical Cunningham............well, to be fair....this one accelerates and stops better. Probably rides and steers better also.........😏

I really wanted one....almost talked AJ into buying a very cool one, but he choked. Anyways, AJ already has several dump trucks(cars) in his collection. 😎

To be fair, they are your typical big early to mid 20's dinosaurs..........

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 4.53.32 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I have several on that list. Sadly, most them then can't possible happen. First on the list would be a 1911 Oldsmobile Limited. This picture is from the GM Heritage collection. Another would be the Chrysler Turbine. Also ANYTHING steam powered that was already operational. Another that would maybe get me ran out of here is an Ariel Atom 4

IMGP4724.JPG.6c393961932dc71946876c8facb690f0.JPG

• Like 3

Still- C1 Corvette; Late 30's sedan, preferably Packard, even better with overdrive; C5 -up Z06 Corvette. And for some strange reason I've recently fell in love with the idea of a MG TD- the one Mr. Harwood has on his website with the 5 speed transmission modification right now would come home with me , if I had the disposable cash. Or, if I had the room and the interest rates weren't through the ceiling..😛

So many others to desire, so little time and money to have them all......😂

• Like 1

Of the three cars that have been on my bucket list for a while, I’ve been fortunate enough to buy two of them. It helps if your list is priced more like lunch specials then a Michelin 3 star menu. Two of the cars, a Caterham 7 and an Autozam AZ-1 were on my list for at least 20 years before I bought them.

The more recent addition to the list, which I expect to go unfulfilled, is an Austin-Healey LeMans coupe.

Edited by CarNucopia (see edit history)

I’m so happy with what I’ve got that I want more. 

In no particular order,

Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing

Auburn Boattail Speedster 

Cord 810/12

Morgan Plus 4, the older the better

Duesenberg, any

Bugatti, a real one, any

Aston Martin V8 Vantage 

Triumph TR3

Citroen DS

Porsche 911, 1980s

Mercedes-Benz 450SLC 5.0 Rally 

So I was at Tom Hubbard's Franklin musuem on Wednesday (great place, been about 20 times), so I've really wanted a 31 Franklin Sport Phaeton Body by Merrimac for the last 48 hours, but before that I was looking at pictures of my buddies 1920 Packard Twin Six, so I knew I needed one of those, but last week with my friend Paul, we were setting in his 57 Fuelie Corvette and I said "this is the one",  but right before Christmas I was emailing with my other buddy who has a beautiful 40 Cadillac 75 series conv coupe and I thought "it only makes sense....a Cadillac convertible........and on.....and on......and on.   A man of singular focus I like to think of myself as......... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

So I was at Tom Hubbard's Franklin musuem on Wednesday (great place, been about 20 times), so I've really wanted a 31 Franklin Sport Phaeton Body by Merrimac for the last 48 hours, but before that I was looking at pictures of my buddies 1920 Packard Twin Six, so I knew I needed one of those, but last week with my friend Paul, we were setting in his 57 Fuelie Corvette and I said "this is the one",  but right before Christmas I was emailing with my other buddy who has a beautiful 40 Cadillac 75 series conv coupe and I thought "it only makes sense....a Cadillac convertible........and on.....and on......and on.   A man of singular focus I like to think of myself as......... 

I was just telling a friend of ours that every week I see another car that I just HAVE to have. And if I make it to the end of the week without it, victory. And I know next week they’ll be something else. I’m planning on keeping this up for as many years as possible without ever buying another car

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Fargoguy said:

I was thinking about this last night- I have been very fortunate thus far to have a varied collection of cars to play with. As I get older, I'm thinning them down, upgrading, refining, but I kind of made a list in my head of cars i'd really like to own in my lifetime. Of course there are cars that will most likely ( unless i win the lottery) be out of reach like a Tucker or a Duesenburg, but I was trying to list 2 or 3 that i'd really like to own. What are on your list?

A 30's touring or closed car that is sorted and ready for the road- preferrably something big- Studebaker president, Buick, Packard etc- that I can hop in and drive anywhere 

60's Dodge Custom Sport special big block half ton

Early 50's Step Down Hudson

My bucket list in the order they entered my automotive consciousness.

- 1966 Mustang GT Fastback

- 1970 Camaro Z28

- 1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1

- 1958 MGA Twin Cam

- 1970 Monte Carlo SS

- 1941 Packard Darrin Convertible Victoria 

- 1931 L-29 Cord Cabriolet 

I’ve been able to acquire lesser models of some of my “dream “ cars, and some will be forever out of reach. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

A bucket is too small...

Even a drag line bucket used in mining is too small let alone a dinky little 2 gallon one.

Steve

The list is very short - any of the split windshield Chryslers from 31-33, most everything else would be out at the curb with a for sale sign to make room, both in the shop and my wallet to pay for it

image.png.d6d5840721d15425a21a222397dc33a2.png

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, 31Buick96S said:

My bucket list in the order they entered my automotive consciousness.

- 1966 Mustang GT Fastback

- 1970 Camaro Z28

- 1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1

- 1958 MGA Twin Cam

- 1970 Monte Carlo SS

- 1941 Packard Darrin Convertible Victoria 

- 1931 L-29 Cord Cabriolet 

I’ve been able to acquire lesser models of some of my “dream “ cars, and some will be forever out of reach. 

Why 41 on the Darrin?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Why 41 on the Darrin?

I was fortunate enough to be offered a ride in  ‘41 at Macungie back around 1995. I was particularly struck by the waterfall grills on either side of the radiator surround. All of the Darrin’s are striking and desirable, but that first ride still reverberates…

• Like 3

I always have a bucket list (one real and one fantasy) but at the moment the realistic list is the following:

1928-32 Franklin 

1930 Model A Cabriolet or Phaeton 

1946-48 Nash Ambassador 

Any Checker wagon 

1991 BRG or 1995 Mazda Miata M-edition 

Like many of you this list may be subject to change.  

The current fantasy list is (with some duplicates):

1911 Ford Open Runabout

1913 Mercer 35B Raceabout
1920 Ford Touring 
1926 Ford Touring 

1926 Duesenberg Model A
1929 Franklin 137 Sport Runabout or Sport Phaeton 
1930 Ford Cabriolet 
1930 Ford Phaeton 
1932 Duesenberg SJ Murphy Roadster 
1932 Nash Ambassador Convertible Sedan 
1932 Packard 12 Dietrich Phaeton 
1934 Packard 12 Phaeton (driver)
1937 Packard 12 Dietrich Conv. Sedan
1948 Nash Ambassador Convertible 
1949 Buick Super Convertible (stick)
1956 Continental Mark II
1961 Lincoln Convertible 
1963 Lincoln Convertible 
1964 Imperial Convertible 
1965 Lincoln Convertible 
1967 Lincoln Convertible 
1967 Checker Wagon 
1967 VW Cabriolet 
1968 Mercury Montego Convertible (4 speed)
1991 Mazda Miata BRG
1995 Mazda Miata M 

Ah well...off to buy the lottery ticket!

• Like 2

I was thinking about this very question just today.  I think I would like to own a one-cylinder Cadillac someday, and also an early- to mid-teens Locomobile.

I have a rotating cast of about 10 cars that I think about and try to learn more about as possible "maybe some day" cars.   My favorite two categories to ponder these days:

1) Some kind of 1930s high-end European car — a favorite being Delahayes, with Lagondas or Derby Bentleys sometimes in consideration.  

2) Some kind of 1950s European sports car — a favorite being Feltham-era Aston-Martins, with XK120s and Porsche 356s sometimes in consideration. 

Fun to think about, at least.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

I have a rotating cast of about 10 cars that I think about and try to learn more about as possible "maybe some day" cars.   My favorite two categories to ponder these days:

1) Some kind of 1930s high-end European car — a favorite being Delahayes, with Lagondas or Derby Bentleys sometimes in consideration.  

2) Some kind of 1950s European sports car — a favorite being Feltham-era Aston-Martins, with XK120s and Porsche 356s sometimes in consideration. 

Fun to think about, at least.

I like your approach.  The research and studying is exciting in itself.   

• Like 3

My list is quite short:

1942/7/8 Pontiac Streamliner 2 door fastback 

1947/8 Buick Roadmaster Convertible

1949 Buick Roadmaster sedanet 

1946/7s Cadillac Ser. 62 Coupe

1955/6 Packard Caribbean convertible

The first from 1948 and the last are cars I could have bought here in Europe but messed up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Bloom said:

I like your approach.  The research and studying is exciting in itself.   

Definitely.  I also tend to like cars for their style and history first, which means I sometimes end up loving cars that are particularly impractical and end up better studied than actually bought!  And with California's taxes at about 10%, it's too expensive to experiment. :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CarNucopia said:

Of the three cars that have been on my bucket list for a while, I’ve been fortunate enough to buy two of them. It helps if your list is priced more like lunch specials then a Michelin 3 star menu. Two of the cars, a Caterham 7 and an Autozam AZ-1 were on my list for at least 20 years before I bought them.

The more recent addition to the list, which I expect to go unfulfilled, is an Austin-Healey LeMans coupe.

The Caterham sounds great. A 7 or 7 concept car has been on my bucket list for 50 years now. I have a home made knock off . track car. Sort of a cross between a 7 and a Mallock. Built in the 90's by a local racer. 

Not so sure about the Le Mans coupe. I had a MGA coupe back in the late 1970's. Hot and very noisy { interior noise } out on the road. Sold it quickly and put the $ into rebuilding the engine on my MGA roadster. I still have the roadster.

At 78 with failed knee replacements, my Bucket List is pictured on the walls of my shop.   Pictured are cars I have owned and sold, and

wish I still owned.   Thru the office window, I can see in the shop 5 prior Bucket list cars that I still own.   I'm a happy old man, but I still

enjoy looking. 

PhaetonEstate2.jpg.5ec8a49d3b7cbf92602ee6a9ef21f770.jpg

• Like 3

My list is not too unusual but probably not too common either:

Chandler Touring or Roadster

1924 Maxwell Model 24 (my Mom learned to drive this car and I told her I'd be the caretaker of one someday)

Willys-Knight (Stearns-Knight, Sterling-Knight or Brewster would be OK too)

20's Packard - most any model would do

If one came available I'd have another problem. I'd have to sell something to make room for it.

Oh, the problems of the antique car hobby.......

Bill

My "bucket list" ( always thought that was a dumb term, lol ) is the same as it's been since I saw my 1st one in 1966. A REAL Ford GT 40, any of them from 64 to 68. Got 'em in books, photographs, on my computer, toys/models, on my bedroom and garage wall, lol.

DSCN3734.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For my top 3 list, I believe a short list should be cars that are fast, handle well and everyone would be jealous of. I spread mine over about 50 years. Like a 1912-1914 Mercer Raceabout, a circa 1935 type 59 Bugatti and a circa 65-67 Ford Cobra. Had to pass on a 60's Ferrari(too much primping), big classics (too heavy), and mid 50's Chrome (too much makeup). I lik'em low, lean and mean. Not into grocery haulers. 

1912 Mercer Raceabout.jpg

Bugatti Type 59.jpg

1966 Ford Cobra.png

• Like 2