Do you have an Bucket list of Cars you'd like to own?

Fargoguy

At my time of life I'm very comfortable with what I have and enjoy cars belonging to others that I will never own. I find it very comforting not have to feel the need to own every car that I see and like. There are a number of cars that sot after when I was younger and some of which I came very close to owning at different times. Almost all of these were available and obtainable at one time without any major financial or family strife, but it just never happened.

1) 1932 Pierce Arrow Model 54 Club Brougham and it's sibling 1932 Studebaker President St. Regis Brougham.

2) 1941 Cadillac convertible.

3) 1949 Cadillac Sedanet (sp?)

4) Jaguar XK120.

5) Jaguar XKE.

6) 1953 Packard Caribbean convertible.

7) 1955 Chrysler 300.

😎 1956 Lincoln Htp. or convertible.

😎

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)

I posted above my bucket list race/lean/mean cars, Mercer, Bugatti, Ford Cobra, and here are my favorite 3 cruisers, a 1935 Auburn Boattail Speedster, a 1955 M/B Gullwing, and a car I owned for 15 years and smiled every time I left the driveway, a 1990 Nissan 300ZX (non-turbo). While the Auburn and Gullwing are on a lot of bucket lists no doubt, the 1990-1996 300ZX was/is a helluva car for the money. Besides its outstanding looks, build quality was exceptional, power was plenty if you want to stay out of jail, reliability solid, and road handling superb. Mine was a 6 speed of course, no automatics ever in my stable. Imported from NY state as a low mileage 8 year old car. Regret selling it, still have an eye out for a good one.

1935 Auburn 851 Speedster.jpg

1955 Mercedes Benz Gullwing.jpg

1955 MB Gullwing.jpg

IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4258.JPG

• Like 4

22 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

The Caterham sounds great. A 7 or 7 concept car has been on my bucket list for 50 years now. I have a home made knock off . track car. Sort of a cross between a 7 and a Mallock. Built in the 90's by a local racer. 

Not so sure about the Le Mans coupe. I had a MGA coupe back in the late 1970's. Hot and very noisy { interior noise } out on the road. Sold it quickly and put the $ into rebuilding the engine on my MGA roadster. I still have the roadster.

Thanks. The 7 easily lived up to my expectations. It’s got to be one of the most pure, raw sports car experiences you can have. Part of why it took me so long to buy was I couldn’t find one in the midwest. Here’s my car (with my LaSalle), prior to putting a set of Panasports on.

IMG_0187.jpeg.aaa53012f4a325f70c4cac9e22c05246.jpeg

• Like 3

If I could roll back the clock 40 years that would be a dream pairing. The LaSalle for my father and the Caterham for me. Too late for my father, but still some time left for me and something Seven- ish. I don't need to go too fast on the road these days. So something like a L.H.D. Series 1 Seven replica would fit the bill . A warmed up 1275 BMC A series would be more than enough power , but a 1500 or 1600 Kent is possibly a better choice.

I had a early 1960's build 7 ish home built years ago. But pretty poor engineering compared to a Lotus built car. Sold it in the later 1980's but looking back I should have held on to it.  

The track car homebuilt I currently have would also make a very close to a Caterham road car substitute . Once again a bunch of poorly worked out details in the original build. But the basic chassis is done reasonably well. Once I get all the rough edges worked out of it I may attempt to change it from a dedicated Auto - X er to a road going machine. It was built as a circuit racing car and had a massive, high down force body built out from the basic 7 ish chassis. A pretty flimsy sub structure and a lot of thin alloy panel work. But crude and apart from the down force not much to recommend it.  I am 99% going to not use it. Much like later Mallock's but without all the well  engineered tech in a Mallock.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Top 3 in no particular order...

1957 T-Bird, D code, Inca Gold or Starmist Blue. Just because it's always been my favorite car.

1966 Pontiac LeMans, 326 4 barrel, preferably with black vinyl roof. Dad had one back in the day.

1979 Formula Firebird. 403 Olds. T-tops and snowflake wheels a must. Had one in high school and college.

I'm always casually looking. If a nice example of any of the above came up I'd seriously consider a purchase.

Also, wouldn't mind a Model A or a 1968-70 Corvette convertible some day.

• Like 1

No...or rather, the few cars I'd like to have are so far beyond my means that it isn't even worth thinking about....A pre-WWI Silver Ghost, a pre-1905 large 4-cylinder French car, a 48 HP Locomobile... At the very best, if things go well in the future (which is hardly guaranteed) I might squeak out a 20 HP RR or some other big 20s car but I'm past doing another major restoration. There simply isn't going to be enough time left so whatever I get will have to be shabby and in need of mechanical work.

• Like 4

1) 1934 Packard Super 8 Convertible        Victoria

2) 1933 Pierce-Arrow Silver Arrow 

3) 1933 Packard “Car of the Dome”

4) 1932 Packard Twin Six Convertible Sedan

5) 1912 Locomobile model 48 Touring 

6) Any Alco

I need to stop here. Like everyone else, I could go on forever. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Den41Buick said:

1) 1934 Packard Super 8 Convertible        Victoria

2) 1933 Pierce-Arrow Silver Arrow 

3) 1933 Packard “Car of the Dome”

4) 1932 Packard Twin Six Convertible Sedan

5) 1912 Locomobile model 48 Touring 

6) Any Alco

I need to stop here. Like everyone else, I could go on forever. 

You have excellent taste in cars. You hit it out of the ball park with your 1-6 list. I'm interested to see what the rest of your choices would be!

The car of the dome is one of my favorite Packard's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tph479 said:

You have excellent taste in cars. You hit it out of the ball park with your 1-6 list. I'm interested to see what the rest of your choices would be!

The car of the dome is one of my favorite Packard's.

I saw the car of the dome in Warren Ohio in 1999. It was love at first sight. 

An early Dodge Viper or a 1964 or so XKE Jaguar convertible. Two of my all time favorite cars. I drew this when I was a kid. I do have the front of a Viper that I am making a seat out of.

Picture 10462.jpg

IMG_5327.JPG

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1.  1933 Pierce Arrow v-12 Club Brougham 

2. 1920 Packard twin six roadster

3. 1936 Cord any body style as long as it’s sorted

4. 1931 REO Royale coupe or victoria

5. 1926 Springfield RR Ghost left hand drive

Note to all cars applying for a position in my garage please note that I will only be accepting only perfectly restored cars that drive well and have good manners that “Ed” has approved of!  I feel that it is important that I am upfront early in our possible relationship, if you are not truthful and disclose your flaws you may end up in “the barn” with my other disappointments, keep in mind that once you are in “the barn” your only chance of escaping would be to accumulate enough dust to be discovered with a low pixel camera in a dimly lit barn and bought by your new appreciative Craigslist owner! Full disclosure ,I have a really big barn

Edited by ramair (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

My list is a lot more... pedestrian I guess you could say. The first word I thought of was humble but that doesn't feel right, since I'm not trying to slight the amazing cars listed previously. I am just not on those levels. 

Any El Camino. Any 58 or 59 Edsel. These will always be tied at #1. (Note that I am known as El Camino Billy and my profile picture here is me with the first Edsel I ever saw, which I saw again at Rhinebeck years later)

1950 Pontiac

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air 4-door only. 

Bullet nose Studebaker. 

There are lots of other cars and trucks I love and would be very happy to own...I could list cars all night long and not run out of cars. My phone battery would give up long before I ran out of cars.  But those are the ones I have had literal dreams about. 

Alas, I am on the poorer side and not physically capable of working on cars...so they will surely all stay dreams. At least I can build scale models of some of them.

11 hours ago, Den41Buick said:

I saw the car of the dome in Warren Ohio in 1999. It was love at first sight. 

I was also at that show and enjoyed seeing that car in person. If I recall the Bahre collection sent a whole fleet of fantastic cars to the centennial show. I have pictures of the car that I took of it on my disposable camera that day.

I have the show guide and now need to pull it out and look over it again. There were a lot of wonderful cars that showed up to that event.  Do you remember how scorching hot it was on show day with limited shaded areas? We got caught in a monsoon rainstorm on the way home the same day.

The car of the dome is fantastic from every angle. It’s been 25 years now since I’ve seen it in person. Time flies.

I have been lucky enough to get most of my bucket list-

Hemi cuda

Shelby mustang conv

Ferrari

Dual Cowl Phaeton

I do not think I will ever get the last one, a big brass car!!! but it has been a good time with all---

• Like 1

I'm doing pretty good on my bucket list so far but the one car that I'd really like is an early steam powered Locomobile or early Stanley.

I would argue that they are very environmentally sound too for a modern audience.  They are multi fuel, last for more than 100 years and they don't take up much room in an urban landscape. 

On 1/21/2024 at 10:04 AM, Gunsmoke said:

I posted above my bucket list race/lean/mean cars, Mercer, Bugatti, Ford Cobra, and here are my favorite 3 cruisers, a 1935 Auburn Boattail Speedster, a 1955 M/B Gullwing, and a car I owned for 15 years and smiled every time I left the driveway, a 1990 Nissan 300ZX (non-turbo). While the Auburn and Gullwing are on a lot of bucket lists no doubt, the 1990-1996 300ZX was/is a helluva car for the money. Besides its outstanding looks, build quality was exceptional, power was plenty if you want to stay out of jail, reliability solid, and road handling superb. Mine was a 6 speed of course, no automatics ever in my stable. Imported from NY state as a low mileage 8 year old car. Regret selling it, still have an eye out for a good one.

1935 Auburn 851 Speedster.jpg

1955 Mercedes Benz Gullwing.jpg

1955 MB Gullwing.jpg

IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4258.JPG

Gunsmoke,

I agree on the Z-Cars.   Bought a used 1972 240Z in 1975. then a 280 Z, then a 280 ZX and finally a 300 ZX. 

All great cars and all were daily driver's for work for 20 years.   The 300 ZX was the plushist, the 280 ZX was

my Favorite and the 240 Z was the fastest.   All except the 300 ZX were Z-Barted an didn't rust.

When they were Datsun's  I thought the quality was better than when they became Nissan's, but that's just

my opinion, all were very reliable and fun to drive.  We even did a month long trip around the country with the

240Z, including Pike's Peak. in a fast 26 minutes to the top.   My German speed alarm kept telling me to slow 

down, but she always does that.  She did that when we lived on Germany too, and I was driving my Porsche     

Speedster on the no speed limit autobahns.  (The darn Mercedes were always behind me flashing their lights

to get past us)

Paul

Edited by Paul Dobbin
added a thought & moved text (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1