Were you ever gifted a vehicle of significant value ?

Not asking whether you were gifted a junkyard car with scrap value only or gifts from family members.  Were you ever gifted a car with significant value? Maybe something needing full restoration but of significant value when finished?  What did you do with that gift?

Define "significant value" vs. cost of full restoration.

I was gifted a fairly desirable, rare (less than 500 produced) and somewhat valuable(?) early 1960's vintage car 35+ years ago for helping the relatives of a friend of mine to disperse his small collection of cars, parts and an small aircraft after he unexpectedly died in a plane crash.

The car was quite nice unrestored SoCal specimen and good candidate for a "full restoration", but I only did the mechanicals, i.e. engine, trans., brakes, suspension & steering, etc, to make it drivable/useable "as is". Sold it few years later.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

A guy that I was doing some work for had a 66 Impala four door hard top that was kinda hidden in the berry vines.

I walked past it many times before I noticed the 427 flags on it. And believe it or not it had a three on the tree.

He had loaned it to his grandson, and it came back with a knock.

He sold it to me for a dollar. I pulled the engine to find that one wrist pin had made it to the cylinder. Not to bad.

But I had it bored and put new pistons in it.

That thing had one awesome second gear.

It got stolen and I never saw it again.

Yes, and it still haunts me - a 1920's V12 Packard Hearse. This was at the height of the panel van craze in the '70s and mum and dad refused to let me bring it home so it went elsewhere as I could not store it. 

Boy I wish I had that thing - the body was eventually scrapped, and it was turned back into a limousine I believe.

Steve

• Like 3

Yep. this one that you have read about before.  455 w/16,000 miles on at the time.  Given to me by a close friend who was a customer of my dealership.  There was a TV episode about this long story but the end is I will never sell it but give it to some other worthy person who has to promise to do the same.  Significant value, really not but so valuable to me because who gave it to me.

The 1908 Olds Limited Prototype was one of many cars donated to AACA but this one takes the cake!  Yes, it is valuable...extremely!

75 Olds.jpg

2023-04-28 09.28.23.jpg

• Like 11

When my wife’s Uncle died in 2014 my wife was sole beneficiary of his will.(don’t get excited, it was not that much) and in addition to his modular home in Taft, Ca there were three older vehicles.  A 1974 or 75 Chevy El Camino with a 305 automatic, an early 70’s Cadillac two door sedan and a 1957 Chevrolet Apatche pickup.  Only the El Camino ran and drove. Since my garage was already full of old cars and I live in NE Illinois we determined that selling them all was the best bet. I really did not want any more projects anyway. I sold them for modest amounts as we only had 10 days total to dispose of all his stuff.  Many tools and much equipment went for bargain prices at a one day Estate sale. No time to even guess what stuff was worth.

• Like 2

No.  But I have more than one friend that has.

Best I've done so far was when my uncle passed away and got his 71 Eldo Convertible.  In retrospect I should have held on to that, it was kinda cool.  I was more interested in my GTO.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Yep. this one that you have read about before.  455 w/16,000 miles on at the time.  Given to me by a close friend who was a customer of my dealership.  There was a TV episode about this long story but the end is I will never sell it but give it to some other worthy person who has to promise to do the same.  Significant value, really not but so valuable to me because who gave it to me.

The 1908 Olds Limited Prototype was one of many cars donated to AACA but this one takes the cake!  Yes, it is valuable...extremely!

75 Olds.jpg

2023-04-28 09.28.23.jpg

Is that Charly Nogels old oldsmobile.

Inherited a 1971 Plymouth Duster from the original owner in 2015.  it was a car of a older guy that I had been taking care of for 25 years

and I knew all it's flaws and accidents.   Because it was 600 miles away and my barn was full, I sold it and spent the money on a new lift

for my shop.   My lift is now labeled "Joe's Duster".  

• Like 5

Several days before my 16th birthday I bought a model A. When I was 17, I bought a V12 Cadillac and a used car: 65 Plymouth Satellite Convertible, 4-sp 383. I had a narrowly focused car interest. I was not old enough to title or register the cars in my name so my Dad titled them in his name for me. He gifted them to me after I turned 18 so I wouldn't have to pay the taxes again. I still have the V12 but the other 2 were sold & traded for more appropriate college transportation.

• Like 5

In 2007, I was offered my parent’s 1967 Jaguar 420. It was a beautifully maintained maroon car with black leather interior. They bought it in 1968 and I remember as a teenager traveling from the SF Bay Area to DC in that car in 1974. It accompanied them to London when they were stationed at the US Embassy from 1976-1978. Like a fool I declined the offer. Wish I had it now 

• Like 1

I didn't make a killing on it, but during my senior year in high school a guy Mom worked with gave me a '59 Galaxie 500 4 door. He even trailered it from Oklahoma to my house in Wichita for nothing. He said it kept overheating and quitting on him, and if I could get it going and keep it going - I could have it. I found a pinhole in a soft plug right behind the passenger side motor mount. I cleaned that soft plug with gasoline, then rubbing alcohol, and then soap and water before filling it with plumbers epoxy. Drove it for years, and kept improving it. Sold it to a local businessman who was restoring another '59 Galaxie and he ended up using his for parts and restored mine. Mine had factory air, and even a tilt front bench seat. The 352 ran strong even if did burn a little oil, and the Powerglide shifted into 2nd at 69MPH if you held your foot to the floor long enough. I think I asked for a grand, and he paid in cash. He drove it home. This would have been in the late 70's. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, tenugent said:

Is that Charly Nogels old oldsmobile.

It was Charlie Nogle's car!  He also had a blue 75 Pontiac convertible.  He was one of my favorite people ever and I enjoyed every minute of his visits.  He was a special guy. Dammit, tenugent, between this post and your PM to me I now have a tear in my eye.  Charlie was like another father to me and although we did not see each other often, each time was special and he was one of my true confidants in business.  I just loved the guy.

• Like 3

Never was gifted a car but so very pleased to read about those that have, that shows true friendship and insight on the person giving you the car. Something they cherish and know in their heart that you will as well.

• Like 1

In 2004, my brother helped a longtime friend disperse with several cars in his small museum. He did this without compensation, but after they were done, our friend gifted my brother a 50,000-mile 1940 Packard Super 8 180 Touring Sedan.

That was also the year that I had lost my job with Cars & Parts magazine (because I refused to move to Florida). In order to keep my house, I had to get rid of my 1962 Porsche, which meant the world to my family (and my only collector car).

When my brother learned that I had accepted the job as Editor of Antique Automobile, he told me he was going to loan me one of his cars and drop it off on the way to Hershey, because the editor of Antique Automobile shouldn't be without a car. When he got here, he unloaded the 1940 Packard and told me it was mine. I couldn't accept such a gift, so I asked him "How about we share in its ownership, and I'll contribute the labor to fix it up?" It needed quite a bit of work to make roadworthy. I did most the work (watched a lot, too, as friends came with expertise and helped tremendously), and made it into one of the best driving cars I've ever experienced. Also improved its condition enough to earn an AACA Senior Award. We still have the car after 20 years.

4.jpg

DSC06360.JPG

5.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 20

23 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

… gifted a car with significant value? Maybe something needing full restoration but of significant value when finished

20 hours ago, TTR said:

Define "significant value" vs. cost of full restoration.

Still waiting please ?

P.S. While they aren’t really within purview of OPs inquiry, I’ve been “gifted”(?) or offered (for free) leftover parts cars (including one quite rare example in good condition, after the engine was removed from it to clients car*) or new & used parts from restoration jobs, shop equipment, tools, etc.

* This reminded me of a client buying a quite rare 1950s 2 dr Ht car in overall good, running/driving condition for high five figure sum just to get a one piece of interior trim for his, even rarer convertible. They all came with this “interior” piece, but finding or seeing one today is almost equivalent to finding cavities in hens teeth.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

I'll relate one of the stranger days I've had in the restoration business.  Fellow asked us to retrieve a car he owned that was languishing in another shop. We were to bring it to our shop, look it over and give the owner a ballpark guesstimate as to how much it would cost to finish the restoration.  The owner met us at our shop and we looked over the car together.  The car was partially disassembled and needed considerable woodwork before anything else.  We gave the owner the "ballpark" estimate he requested and that's when things became interesting.  Owner says "There is no way I can afford to restore this car and I have lost interest.  Do you have any interest in the car?"  Me "I like the car but there is no way I could afford it".  We had only recently built our new shop and were working hard just to pay the mortgage.  Fellow looks at his wife and asks "What do you think we should do dear?"  She responds "We should do what we talked about".  With that the fellow reaches into his jacket pocket and tosses the title onto my desk.  "There you go" he says.  Me, "I'm sorry but even if you financed the car I can't afford it".  Him "No, I'm giving you the car. Do with it whatever you want.  Restore it or sell it.  It's yours."  And that is how I became the owner of a Custom 1937 Mercedes Sedan that had been specially built for the head Justice of the  Supreme Court of Columbia.  I am now waiting for someone to gift me a Duesenberg.  Hey, it could happen!

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

I'll relate one of the stranger days I've had in the restoration business.  Fellow asked us to retrieve a car he owned that was languishing in another shop. We were to bring it to our shop, look it over and give the owner a ballpark guesstimate as to how much it would cost to finish the restoration.  The owner met us at our shop and we looked over the car together.  The car was partially disassembled and needed considerable woodwork before anything else.  We gave the owner the "ballpark" estimate he requested and that's when things became interesting.  Owner says "There is no way I can afford to restore this car and I have lost interest.  Do you have any interest in the car?"  Me "I like the car but there is no way I could afford it".  We had only recently built our new shop and were working hard just to pay the mortgage.  Fellow looks at his wife and asks "What do you think we should do dear?"  She responds "We should do what we talked about".  With that the fellow reaches into his jacket pocket and tosses the title onto my desk.  "There you go" he says.  Me, "I'm sorry but even if you financed the car I can't afford it".  Him "No, I'm giving you the car. Do with it whatever you want.  Restore it or sell it.  It's yours."  And that is how I became the owner of a Custom 1937 Mercedes Sedan that had been specially built for the head Justice of the  Supreme Court of Columbia.  I am now waiting for someone to gift me a Duesenberg.  Hey, it could happen!

A 320?

• Thanks 1

Not so much as a used carburetor. Closest I came was in the late seventies, a friend had a 1967 GMC pickup and a 1971 Camaro, both broken down and not running. He offered to give me the pickup if I got the Camaro running. I installed a new camshaft in the driveway and away it went.

The pickup was a solid rust free western body but needed an engine, trans, seat, driveshaft, tires, brakes etc. Eventually I made a real nice truck out of it. I guess they are collector's items today but back then it was just another pickup truck.

I inherited both the Rickenbacker and the Pierce Arrow that I own.

Growing up, I was the one that took most of an interest in those cars and I was always there when they were being worked on, driven or just being rubbed on.

I'm the 'car guy' of my family so it was a natural fit that I got both cars when my grandfather and father passed.

As proof of my devotion to these two cars, I even sold the '64 Malibu SS convertible that I had owned for over 34 years so I could have space and more funds to put into the Pierce and the Rick.

• Like 5

Dad finally gave me his first car 2 years ago a 1937 Chevy. He bought it from the original owner (his childhood neighbor) in 1948.

It has always been a driver and a workhorse. In the late 60ies it had 1 bucket seat and a trailer hitch. My dad used it to haul lumber to build our first house and numerous other things. I have always been obsessed with this car my whole life and really enjoy having it and the memories it brings back from my childhood. But the best stories come from my dad when he was a young man and drove it all over the country when he was in the service.

John 

image4.jpeg.ceb7062c6b2ab9c2e71991e9aa2176d8.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Yes.... when my Grandfather stopped driving, we ( me and my brother ) were gifted his 1980 Ford Pinto Wagon - not much value, It was brown with the wood grain vinyl going down both sides of the wagon. The car was like brand new, maybe under 10,000 miles on it ! Well it didn't last long.... my brother worked a second shift job and on his way home ( 2am ) he fell asleep at the wheel and hit a stone wall. He hit the wall so hard, it twisted the body, the rear hatch flew open, tool box and other items went out. Nothing left of the front end, but it was still running, he made it another few miles and the car over-heated.  The car was totaled... All that I remember that night,  Dad came in my bedroom, woke me up, he said " Let's go,  I've been expecting this call ". 

Oh well.....I don't have a picture, but this is what they looked like:

image.png.7f55a91df26285431d736f5667576c87.png

Steve

Edited by STEVE POLLARD (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I had a friend in HS that had a 70's pinto wagon.

While it couldn't get out of its own way, it was very reliable for him.

Same brown color as the one posted above minus the wood grain.

Many years ago I made the one block walk to my father’s garage on a day where he was feeling particularly ready to have less projects in his life and this 30 horse t-head 4cyl Maxwell became mine.  Through the entirety of my ownership I have been too busy with too many children and not enough leftover funds to really take on a brass era project… but… before my fathers ownership it belonged to a local car guy that was like an extra grandfather, it’s an open front detachable toy tonneau, and it’s not likely I will get another opportunity to have a 1910 Maxwell model G, so it plays garage art for the most part while I dream about more free time.  There are occasional spurts of progress.

My currently less overwhelmed by projects father has recently expressed some interest in playing with it so some real progress may be near. 

IMG_3188.jpeg

• Like 9

Yes.

I think this is an interesting, and important, discussion.  I've been in the hobby my whole life and have had a number of cars and car stories as we all do.  Last year, I was bequeathed a Packard by a very dear friend.  Reasonably valuable, thankfully the value of his overall estate allowed him to be generous.   I will add that 1) I had no idea he was going to do that, and 2) he bequeathed several other cars to "unsuspecting", but deserving friends.  Since then, I have made numerous observations of folks in the hobby, particularly as it relates to what we are doing with our cars.

1. Many owners/families have no specific plans to pass cars along to the next caretaker.   I'm not suggesting selfish motives - rather to point out that unless we more than think about this and at a minimum put it in writing, let's just say an "estate sale" probably isn't what said person/s would wish to happen to beloved vehicles.  In my experience,  just one example, I tried for years to buy a Packard Woody Wagon from a friend.  Unrestored, never moved as long as I knew it.  I suggested many ways to ensure I would own it someday, up to offering to pay for it and letting it sit in his garage until he died, etc.  Never could make it happen.  Of course when he died suddenly, family auctioned the cars quickly.  Car sold for about half what I was willing to pay, but at that moment I had other irons in the fire.  How many times have we asked, or been asked, to be the next owner of a car...and then things slip away.

2.  I know many older members who frankly could afford to give cars away - but don't.  I'm not suggesting the big money cars in their collections - but there always seems to be something like a Model A, 47 Studebaker or a 62 Ford Falcon that would make a great "starter car" to bring a young person into the hobby.  Of the few (a big concern itself) young people in the hobby, many do not have the finances to take that first step...c'mon guys....do I really need to point out the direction this hobby is going?

3.  What about all the parts!!   OMG do we all have that hoard of parts!  I know we all have stories of the family who after selling the cars has no idea what to do with the parts in the garage/attic/barn, etc.   At the minimum, I urge you to consider naming either the Marque club, car buddy/s, or other appropriate devisee for the parts.  

This specific topic asked if anyone had been gifted a car.  I suggest we welcome other ideas/actions we have in place for our treasures...Personally, I have already influenced things to happen as above, both cars and parts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am very fortunate to have been gifted my father's 1927 (we used to think it was a '26) Ford Fordor. It is not a big money car but has tremendous sentimental value and served as my introduction to the hobby.  Another restorer, hearing what I was doing sold me a second,  complete '27 Ford Fordor project at a price that amounted to about 10 cents on the dollar.  Both of these were significant gifts and I intend to pay it forward when I get the opportunity. 

20201002_085316.jpg.f9ed37417b91c735ceec29b62f9e10cb.jpg

• Like 8

While visiting a friend, I was checking out his old Cadillac that has been sitting in his garage for 50 years or so. I offered to help him pull the engine for a total rebuild that he had started shortly after he got the car, but that never happened. Mr. Jim knew I was interested in the old Cadillac. One evening I got the call, “Alex, That Cadillac is yours if you want it. Well Jim what do you want for it? You do not understand, I am giving you the car and I know that you will do something with it that I never will.”

Having no experience with a multi cylinder classic, I took on the challenge.

Nine years later it is still work in progress with the need of interior. After getting a quote of 18-20K to start, I purchase a Juki walking foot. Now I going to learn to Trim.

I may not know what I am doing, but that does not mean I cannot get it right.

There is nothing more expensive than a gifted Classic car in need of a full restoration.

The big question is, what do you do with a gifted car of significant value after a significant investment?

Do you restore it, do you flip it, part it out. Or re-gift it.

IMG_2210(Medium).JPG.4b1d44ff447bbefc510c94b8dc184665.JPG

nine years ago, in Jims's garage

IMG_3796.JPG.496781ea35af0dd65219c67c28efa809.JPGas of now.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

I have never been gifted anything of significant value. As I read through the posts I am reminded of how many cars and similar items I have given to needy people. From the critique of those beneficiaries I never gifted anything of significant value either.  I gave cars that weren't good enough, used too much gas, needed tires or oil changes, or did not run flawlessly forever. It seems like nothing was ever "good enough" for a needy person

Sometimes I think all it did was affect my charitable demeanor.

I watch winter TV and they are running the ads for the SPCA. I told my wife I thought that dog house made from the big wooden cable spool looked pretty neat. I wouldn't mind having one. She said "Don't you remember the one you brought home that didn't work for a picnic table?" I must have put it out of my mind with other failed attempts at generosity.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I have never been gifted anything of significant value. As I read through the posts I am reminded of how many cars and similar items I have given to needy people. From the critique of those beneficiaries I never gifted anything of significant value either.  I gave cars that weren't good enough, used too much gas, needed tires or oil changes, or did not run flawlessly forever. It seems like nothing was ever "good enough" for a needy person

I watch winter TV and they are running the ads for the SPCA. I told my wife I thought that dog house made from the big wooden cable spool looked pretty neat. I wouldn't mind having one. She said "Don't you remember the one you brought home that didn't work for a picnic table?" I must have put it out of my mind with other failed attempts at generosity.

I feel your pain with similar experiences 

no good deed goes unpunished 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Regarding the cars you must have forgotten the 1000 year 1 billion mile warranty that automatically comes with any gifted car. Or one sold intentionally for less than market value to a “friend” or relative.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1