Popular Car Features We’ll Probably Never See Again

This article is food for thought. Many of the things we particularly like and enjoy in our older cars are probably obsolete and never coming back. Recently AM radios are being deleted, CD's and cassettes players are long gone, manual transmissions, whitewalls, two tone paint, and more. 

What other standard equipment or accessories are disappearing or are already gone and what do you miss the most?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/13-popular-car-features-youll-probably-never-see-againt&li=BBnb7Kz#image=14

3 hours ago, Reynard said:

I miss pastel colors of the 50's, bright paint in the '70's, and colorful interiors, including white.

That's something that seems to have totally dissapeared in the last 20 years, Holden and Ford had some great metallic colours that you used to see loads of (like a metallic orange and lime green) 

Now we seem destined for grey and dark blue SUV's

Bench seats. Remember when she used to be able to slide across and sit right next to you at the drive-in theatre? Oh Bugger!!! they are gone too!! (Come to think of it so has she)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6

23 minutes ago, Fordy said:

Bench seats. Remember when she used to be able to slide across and sit right next to you at the drive-in theatre? Oh Bugger!!! they are gone too!! (Come to think of it so has she)

They sure don't make none of em like they use to. 🙃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

While manual transmissions, hand crank windows and wind-wings have already been mentioned,  I miss them.  I also always liked looking down the hood of a Lincoln, Cadillac, and especially my '47 Nash and seeing a real chromed hood ornament there.

• Like 6

Drum brakes - especially on the rear axle.  In the rust belt, rear disk brakes seem to require much more maintenance (i.e., cleaning and lubrication) than the drum type.  I wish my '04 Silverado had rear drums...

The larger diameter steering wheels that weren't padded , and were made of thick wood, or a nice ivory colored plastic.  Even the big black plain type like I have on my 1930 .Packard. Golf bag doors at the side of the body were /are a great convenience as well. Real exterior door handles , not those that disappear into the style of the body, The stirrup oval door handles on one of my cars are a reflection on the horse drawn carriages and coaches but I absolutely love them , so strong and elegant.

As mentioned the wind wings , be it an open or enclosed body style are a true convenience feature now lost .

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Walt G said:

The larger diameter steering wheels that weren't padded , and were made of thick wood, or a nice ivory colored plastic.  Even the big black plain type like I have on my 1930 .Packard. Golf bag doors at the side of the body were /are a great convenience as well. Real exterior door handles , not those that disappear into the style of the body, The stirrup oval door handles on one of my cars are a reflection on the horse drawn carriages and coaches but I absolutely love them , so strong and elegant.

As mentioned the wind wings , be it an open or enclosed body style are a true convenience feature now lost .

What you mentioned is pre-1968, before the NHTSA got involved in car design.  Soft steering wheels, interior knobs and handles, etc., did away with real chrome dash knobs and wooden steering wheels, and all the nice shiny stuff (which had to be 'dulled' or in a matte finish as not to create glare or reflections in one's eyes while driving).   

Craig

The Rivian prototype trucks have golf bag areas. The door can double as a seat (albeit not while driving!)

I miss traditional station wagons. I love our family Edge, and I know SUVs are just tall station wagons, but it's not the same. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

What you mentioned is pre-1968, before the NHTSA got involved in car design

Craig - I am pre 1968 by nearly two decades, and my brain is pre 1948 , so yes, I am a bit out of focus on what "modern" appointments had to be met for government qualifications to keep us all safe from ourselves. 😇

Walt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

How much longer is Ford going to hold out with the 5-button exterior keyless entry?  Its now more or less obsolete with handheld fobs.

Craig, Ford already eliminated the 5-buttons.  My wife's 2023 Ford Edge uses the FordPass app on her iPhone, no buttons on door.  The good news is the door can be opened or the engine started from anywhere in the world.  The bad news is that you had better keep your phone with you all the time - and keep it charged.

What I do miss is the knobs and buttons that had individual shapes or surface features so that you could find the one you wanted without taking your eyes off the road.  Now I've got 25 identically shaped buttons with 6 point type that only a 20-something could read when she takes her eyes off her phone.

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Gary_Ash said:

Craig, Ford already eliminated the 5-buttons.  My wife's 2023 Ford Edge uses the FordPass app on her iPhone, no buttons on door.  The good news is the door can be opened or the engine started from anywhere in the world.  The bad news is that you had better keep your phone with you all the time - and keep it charged.

What I do miss is the knobs and buttons that had individual shapes or surface features so that you could find the one you wanted without taking your eyes off the road.  Now I've got 25 identically shaped buttons with 6 point type that only a 20-something could read when she takes her eyes off her phone.

What happens when the car battery goes dead?    No way to get under the hood if you can't get in the car.

• Like 1

Style! A car that has style not just functional design based on wind tunnel specifications. But real honest individual style and design so you can appreciate the beauty of that particular model compared to other brands and models. 
dave s 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, jpage said:

What I miss most is a "real' mechanical emergency brake!  You can't use the electric "parking" brakes to stop in case of brake failure! I don't think I've ever used the modern parking brake!

AMEN! This always struck me as a really stupid decision. Having dealt with hydraulics loss on more than one occasion by using the mechanical e-brake and downshifting, I shudder to think what would happen without it. Yet another reason not to own a car built this century. Of course, most drivers today would just run into something than have a clue as to how to deal with brake failure.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

It strikes me that if these features were still popular, they'd still be in production.

Largely true but some examples I think may have been victims of bean counters.  Cowl vents for example, and later vents blowing fresh air into the footwells.  I am guessing with AC becoming a common option, now standard on most everything, someone said "they will never miss this".  

Same I suspect for full size spares - what about toolkits??  Hmm..

Speaking of spares, had run flats on my last caddy.  Blech, rode like I had 4 round stones on it.  I think I put real tires on it at 14,000 miles just to get rid of them.  I carried fix a flat and a plug kit, which I figured was enough with AAA but really GM ?

• Like 1

I'm not sure if things are "not popular" or we just don't have the option to buy them anymore. 

I know in the diecast world we had been told that 30s cars don't sell...but they never even made the effort beyond a heavily customized 1932 Ford. Suspect it's much the same 64 times larger. 

They just decide what they think would sell, or they just think about what would be the cheapest for them to do. 

Edited by Billy Kingsley
Forgot a word. (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I miss visibility.  Newer cars have small windows, thick pillars, and high seats with headrests that block the driver's vision.  Also you can't see the corners of the car because of the jelly bean shapes they make now.  The best visibility I ever had in a closed car was a 1961 Impala four-door sedan I owned a while back.  Big windows and thin pillars gave me close to 360 degree visibility when driving that car. 

I also miss ventipanes (GM speak for vent windows) and bench seats.  Also missed are push buttons on the radio.  I'm uncomfortable using the screen in my 2020 Equinox to change the stations.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Gary_Ash said:

Gary my 2023 F150 has the keypad.   That is one of the reasons I went with Ford.  I just lock the key ,which it has, inside and use the keypad to get back in.

I agree on the knobs.

Edited by SMB (see edit history)

I'll echo the wind wings, cowl vents and tilt-out or crank-out windshields. What about the rain channels above the doors? I hate opening the door and rain/snow/ice falls right into the interior of modern vehicles.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

What happens when the car battery goes dead?    No way to get under the hood if you can't get in the car.

On the cars I am aware of with "keyless" entry there is a mechanical key hidden in the FOB that you can use to open the driver's door. Then there is a mechanical hood latch that gets you to the 12v battery if located there. On the 2004 Prius the 12v battery was buried behind a panel in the back of the car so on that one there was a stud in the front fuse box that was used to "jump" the 12v at least enough to open the doors and get access to everything else.

3 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Have not seen a car with an opening windshield feature for a few years....

post-37352-143142212001.jpg

Good point,  On a hot day, when I open up that window, it's a great feeling.  Plus on those cold winter days, when the windows start to fog up, I open the front window and in less than 3 seconds, all the windows are clear.  Plus it's like taking a wake up pill. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Skylark4367 said:

I miss visibility.  Newer cars have small windows, thick pillars, and high seats with headrests that block the driver's vision.  Also you can't see the corners of the car because of the jelly bean shapes they make now.  The best visibility I ever had in a closed car was a 1961 Impala four-door sedan I owned a while back.  Big windows and thin pillars gave me close to 360 degree visibility when driving that car. 

I also miss ventipanes (GM speak for vent windows) and bench seats.  Also missed are push buttons on the radio.  I'm uncomfortable using the screen in my 2020 Equinox to change the stations.

You have to feel sorry for those Lamborghini guys, backing up, especially when it's raining.  Ya gotta get out of the car to do that.  Not to mention  you could buy a fleet of cool old cars for the same financial investment. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, ply33 said:

On the cars I am aware of with "keyless" entry there is a mechanical key hidden in the FOB that you can use to open the driver's door. Then there is a mechanical hood latch that gets you to the 12v battery if located there. On the 2004 Prius the 12v battery was buried behind a panel in the back of the car so on that one there was a stud in the front fuse box that was used to "jump" the 12v at least enough to open the doors and get access to everything else.

As long as there is a mechanical key, that is fine. On my daughters jeep, the mechanical key was only on the driver side. When the battery went dead and the mechanical key wouldn’t work we were basically screwed.

• Like 1

I miss the swing out steering wheels of the 60's.

Such a cool feature.

In reality, maybe not all that needed but it was a pretty cool feature to have.

I'll echo the sentiments about wing windows, distinctive looks and style.