Strange car habits

Do you know of, or perhaps have, any strange automotive habits? 

I just think it would make for interesting reading, to be honest. 

For example I remember reading in Hemmings about somebody who would not buy a car if it had any dealer badging on it. 

I know some people will not buy a green car, while others say a green car was the best one they ever had.

I seem to swing from one extreme to another, buying a tiny sports car or economy car then going to a big Lincoln or SUV. In the vintage world I like the odd ducks like Hudson  more than the common Ford or Chev.

23 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Staying completely away from anything with this badge. My only bugaboo in life....
Image result for Ford badge

So I don't have to worry about you rubbing up against my car? 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

For example I remember reading in Hemmings about somebody who would not buy a car if it had any dealer badging on it. 

That's not a strange habit. That's not wanting to provide free advertising. Now, if the dealer want's to PAY me for that advertising, that's a different issue. And frankly, growing up in the 60s and 70s when dealerships commonly pop-riveted die cast emblems to the trunk lid of cars they sold, these were guaranteed to cause rust (especially in New England), so all the more reason to refuse them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I once bought a 65 Cadillac at a car show and was told it use to be a funeral home car.It didn't bother me but a guy at work from Jamacia wouldn't ride in it after I told him about it.I guess that's a strange riding habit.Greg

I also have a thing against dealer logos, and the assurances that one will not be attached are far from sure.  Here's what I've found works:  After the deal is agreed, and you are signing the papers, sign but then write on the contract "If dealer logo is attached, additional $300 advertising fee to be deducted."  Now you can't lose.  A sales manager looked at the salesman and said, "it'll come out of your commission." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't see it quite as much anymore, but Norfolk, VA was always had a big smoking population.  Drivers would lower their driver-side window about halfway so they could flick the ashes outside instead of using their ashtrays.  Unfortunately, the cigarette butt usually ended up on the street too.  You could pick out the smokers in a line of traffic with every third car that had a window halfway down.

• Like 1

My brother bought a 63 Chevy and told the dealer not to put a logo on the trunk

When he went to pick it up, there it was...

He refused the car until they filled the holes and repainted it.

Not so much a strange habit but an aversion: used cars previously owned by smokers who did so a great deal in the car leaving the interior reeking of stale cigarette odor are virtually unsaleable even when in good condition otherwise exvept at very reduced prices.  The interior soft trim become permeated with the smell which worsens in a closed-up car in the hot sunshine.   Thorough cleaning and ozone bombs gets rid of most of the smell but not all, it always returns at least a little every time the car sets closed in the sun.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have heard of some from certain religions who are fanatical enough where they won't buy a car that was made on a Saturday or a Sunday, depending on the denomination, and would seek out the car's production order to confirm it.  Here it was not uncommon to see the highest trim level trucks and vans owned by Hutterite colonies without radios in them when they were ordered from the factory.

Craig

10 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Staying completely away from anything with this badge. My only bugaboo in life....
Image result for Ford badge

I don't really make a point of shunning any individual make. They all made both good and marginal vehicles.

English Ford engines are the mainstay of affordable { almost } amature road racing and have been since the early 1960's.  A 60 year run, not too bad in my books. Make it small, make it simple, make it strong, make it to an affordable cost. Where can you go wrong ?

Lately the Honda Fit engine has also been approved as an alternate in some classes as the Ford is too long out of production and getting scarce. But the 45 year old Ford unit can still compete more or less on level terms with the much more modern Honda.

Similar story for the Small Block Ford. A compact , light, simple, pushrod, inline valve ,V8. Still out there in vintage racing in large numbers.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1

To this day I keep driving if my gas station is getting a gas load, the thought being the sediment in the tanks below gets all stirred up.  This despite understanding the fact the gas is filtered at the pump much like the oil filter on one's car.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Never buy the first model year of a new model or redesigned model of car or truck was common at one time.  The thought was it would take one or two model year production runs and dealer repair feedback to find all the bugs In the new design.  I feel that logic still applies today.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Think that is less true now, my Jeep is an early '12 and the model/drivetrain was new for '11. Have had near zero problems while the '14s and '15s had A Lot. OTOH the newest cars are so complex with so many issues that heard of a bad brake light that made the transmission not shift. My pre-ODB GM cars are much easier to work on.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

That's not a strange habit. That's not wanting to provide free advertising. Now, if the dealer want's to PAY me for that advertising, that's a different issue. And frankly, growing up in the 60s and 70s when dealerships commonly pop-riveted die cast emblems to the trunk lid of cars they sold, these were guaranteed to cause rust (especially in New England), so all the more reason to refuse them.

I am the same way about clothing.  Absolutely will not buy any thing from a dealer with their logo.  That is what "gimmy caps" were for.  For souvenirs at club events or races but not to wear.

Ben

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

I don't really make a point of shunning any individual make. 

Greg in Canada

Ive owned them, if not choosing to buy another because of their “affordability” then I guess I’m guilty of shunning. Currently I have one taking up space on my property right now, it’s very affordable... would you like to buy it? Bring a trailer...👍🏼🙏

Sorry Greg, you took me way too serious.. I razz my Ford buddies all the time and they give it back in return. 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Said before have never had a Ford or a pickup. Just worked out that way. Might make an exception for a Ranchero but more likely an El Camino (not in market for either, Jeep does everything for me.)

In the last century I almost bought a 66 Mustang 'vert with 289/4 speed for $750 but bought a FIAT 124 Spyder instead. No regrets.

2 hours ago, TerryB said:

Never buy the first model year of a new model or redesigned model of car or truck was common at one time.  The thought was it would take one or two model year production runs and dealer repair feedback to find all the bugs In the new design.  I feel that logic still applies today.

I agree,I bought a new Volkswagon Beetle when they came out in 99,what a piece of crap!

Dealer plate frames and badges on the deck lid or tailgate get me too...unless they are going to pay me for the privilege. This also goes for self check out at the grocery store or places like Home Depot-stop putting employees out of work or lower the price if I self check. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Buick35 said:

I once bought a 65 Cadillac at a car show and was told it use to be a funeral home car.It didn't bother me but a guy at work from Jamacia wouldn't ride in it after I told him about it.I guess that's a strange riding habit.Greg

and during cruise night you listened to soul music ?

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pfeil said:

Dealer plate frames and badges on the deck lid or tailgate get me too...unless they are going to pay me for the privilege. This also goes for self check out at the grocery store or places like Home Depot-stop putting employees out of work or lower the price if I self check. 

Having to check out yourself and then have an employee standing at the door to check my receipt; that absolutely grinds my gears! I refuse to show my receipt: if you don't trust me than have an employee scan the items. 

• Like 3

My first boss out of college told me he drove a King Midget when he first went to college but upgraded to a Crosley sedan. He said he liked the Crosley but it made his shoulder sore. I bit and asked why. He said he was used to leaning into the curves with his King Midget and in the Crosley he kept hitting his shoulder on the door.

Dealer badging wasn't done much is the PNW. Maybe it was more common in some of the inland places, but it didn't show up much where I was raised. When I would see a dealer badge on a car, it always spiked my curiosity as to it's origins. It became another way of helping to compare cars from other places to our local cars. 

I don't know how strange this is but, I like rear wheel drive cars. I like the handling, comfort  on long trips and the ease of repair and maintenance. I drive older cars, so I was upset when it seemed that all manufacturers had lost their way during the 90's. All except Ford and Jaguar, that is, and that's what I went to for my drivers. Even though Ford no longer makes a RWD car, the fact that Chrysler is still using the German RWD platform should see me to the end of my driving days.  

Bill

• Like 2

I take the dealer license plate frames off right away. The sticker type dealer logo gets removed carefully. Of course, I buy used......😉  SO the stickers are cheaper style.

Taking a short ride after washing to knock the water out of all the nooks and crannies.  Where I grew up I had an easy 2 mile route that involved jumping on highway and getting off almoat immediately.  Never had to towell the cars off in those days. 🙂

6 hours ago, nick8086 said:

I sold a dealer plate for good $$$$ . The dealer  was only  open for only 3 years... in cal.

Guys like the year or the place it was from...

That is true.

Grand Spaulding Dodge in Chicago and Royal Pontiac from Royal Oak, MI dealer plate frames and stickers are valuable to the muscle car fans, especially if their '68 Charger or '63 421-equipped Catalina really did come from those dealers!!

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

That is true.

Grand Spaulding Dodge in Chicago and Royal Pontiac from Royal Oak, MI dealer plate frames and stickers are valuable to the muscle car fans, especially if their '68 Charger or '63 421-equipped Catalina really did come from those dealers!!

Craig

My first car a 57 Desoto came from GrandSpaulding Dodge in 62  and cost me $200 they wouldn’t put their sticker on it ! 😐

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Dealer badging wasn't done much is the PNW. Maybe it was more common in some of the inland places, but it didn't show up much where I was raised. When I would see a dealer badge on a car, it always spiked my curiosity as to it's origins. It became another way of helping to compare cars from other places to our local cars. 

I don't know how strange this is but, I like rear wheel drive cars. I like the handling, comfort  on long trips and the ease of repair and maintenance. I drive older cars, so I was upset when it seemed that all manufacturers had lost their way during the 90's. All except Ford and Jaguar, that is, and that's what I went to for my drivers. Even though Ford no longer makes a RWD car, the fact that Chrysler is still using the German RWD platform should see me to the end of my driving days.  

Bill

Yes on both counts. A car in SO. CAL. with a dealer badge ( except from local Cadillac dealers ) usually meant the car was a rust bucket from back east.

"so I was upset when it seemed that all manufacturers had lost their way during the 90's"

Now you know why trucks and truck based suv's became so popular. Police departments didn't want FWD cars so it was truck based suv's 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Taking a short ride after washing to knock the water out of all the nooks and crannies.  Where I grew up I had an easy 2 mile route that involved jumping on highway and getting off almoat immediately.  Never had to towell the cars off in those days. 🙂

When I wash any of my cars I use my air compressor to blow the water out of all the nooks and crannies.

You'd be amazed how much water and dirt comes out of places you wouldn't think would get that much water in them just from washing with a water hose and spray nozzle.

Plus I use the two bucket wash method with grit guards, but I need to pick up some new grid guards because the ones I have are super old and were cheap ones when I got them so they are very brittle now and should be tossed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

There is one dealer license plate frame that is pretty hard for a Riviera guy to resist. Had to hunt for this one.

001.JPG.719510c10903bea48c14d525e29ea2c1.JPG

Years ago I bought a Roadmaster from Liberty Buick in Arizona. They put a license plate frame on the car which I always liked because of the Patriotic implications. When we were back in the area I stopped in and asked for more so I could put them on all my cars...

On 6/4/2020 at 3:31 PM, TerryB said:

But I bought and loved not one but two 1966 Toronados; a champion of the one-year-only parts. 

(pic provided by original owner when I tracked him down)

66 toro Colorado Springs CO July 1974.jpg

Edited by CarFreak (see edit history)