What was the first tool you purchased?

As I was rummaging through my tool chest, I realized I'd been using some of these tools since I was in high school in the 1950’s. My first tool purchase was a ½ inch “Thorsen” brand socket set that assisted me in dismantling a ‘40 Ford DeLuxe sedan handed down from Grandmother to Mother to me and sending it on its way to a junkyard. I still use this set often, but hopefully, more constructively.

This brought me to wonder how many of us are still using the tools we purchased first, long ago; what tools they are; their brands; and any other interesting history about them or their use. I also inherited some tools from my father and other relatives which, too, are still in use, but the ones purchased with paper route and lawn mowing jobs hold a special place.

Can you share some old tool memories?

33 minutes ago, Crusty Trucker said:

As I was rummaging through my tool chest, I realized I'd been using some of these tools since I was in high school in the 1950’s. My first tool purchase was a ½ inch “Thorsen” brand socket set that assisted me in dismantling a ‘40 Ford DeLuxe sedan handed down from Grandmother to Mother to me and sending it on its way to a junkyard. I still use this set often, but hopefully, more constructively.

This brought me to wonder how many of us are still using the tools we purchased first, long ago; what tools they are; their brands; and any other interesting history about them or their use. I also inherited some tools from my father and other relatives which, too, are still in use, but the ones purchased with paper route and lawn mowing jobs hold a special place.

Can you share some old tool memories?

Same time frame, same high school activity, same Thorsen 1/2" drive set from Grand Auto in Oakland, CA.  That got stolen along with other tools in 1970.  It took about a year for me to figure out that a 3/8" set was better suited for all but heavier duty work.  I've pretty much stayed with Craftsman except when for some S&K from the PX, and later Snap-On from an estate.

I bought a set of Sears Craftsman socket and combination wrenches about 1990 when I was in my mid 20's. 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive. I still use that set today on my 1940 Lasalle. I was thrilled when my son started using the set on his car but I wouldn't let him take the tools away from home to his friends house. These were American made Craftsman and cannot be replaced if lost. So he assembled a set of his own with a combination of new Craftsman and older American made tools from garage sales. I bought him a nice Craftsman tool cabinet from Lowes. 

Most of my other tools are passed down from my Dad and Grandpa. 

Edited by Tom Boehm (see edit history)

We always vacationed in East Tawas MI at Jerry's Marina when I was a kid.  Having acquired the neighbor's old non-functioning Clinton powered reel lawn mower and rebuilding the engine enough to make it run reliably at age 8 my parents got the picture I was interested in mechanical things.  This was cemented at Jerry's because I was never out fishing with my dad, I was too busy helping assemble trailers, rig boats and repair outboard motors.  I also bailed rainwater out of rental boats for 50 cents apiece.  In 1967 the owner of the resort asked if I would like to go to the Johnson Service School over the winter and come work at the marina the following summer.  My mother accompanied me to 701 South Sand St., Waukegan, IL because I wasn't even 18 yet and Johnosn Motors required her to sign a waiver to limit their legal exposure for hsting a "child". 

Christmas of 1967 my main Christmas gift was a Craftsman 80pc mechanic's tool set in a nice metal toolbox in anticipation of my working for Jerry's the following summer.  That was the first major tool acquisition I can remember.  I bought a lot of Snap-on and Mac tools the following summer (1968) including a Snap-on box-open wrench set and a model TQ150L dial indicator torque wrench with tell-tale light to announce achievement of the torque setting.  By 1970 I had a Craftsman oxy-acetylene torch set made by Harris and a 2hp air compressor made by Campbell Hausfeld.  The torches were sold years ago but the compressor was just sold off with our summer home this spring.    

Edited by Str8-8-Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Like Tom B. a Sears Craftsman socket set, 1/2 inch drive when I got my 1931 Plymouth 4 door sedan to use to work on it. this was in 1963. I still use it!

Bought smaller sets later to get into smaller places  or they were gifts from one uncle who liked to work on his own cars . I was the only guy among a lot of cousins who ever got tools for gifts at Christmas etc. everyone else got "normal" presents.

I purchased the instructor-recommended, modest Craftsmen tool set with tool chest from Sears when I entered the automotive technician program at my junior college in 1971. Now, fifty-one years later, I still use some of the remaining tools, although now they are scattered throughout several much larger tool chests. I know it's subjective, but I still have a hard time finding a combination wrench that feels as good in my hand as the old Craftsmen wrenches.

My dad had enough hand tools that I could use to get started tearing into my first old car. Work stopped when rear drums needed a puller to get them off. That was the first thing I bought. You will not get those off with out one. And you do want to screw on the nut on the end of the axle, to keep the drum from flying off. Had to take heat to break them loose with the puller under tension. And you could get hurt removing them if you are not careful. Being bolted down and rusting for 60 years really locks stuff up.

My first tool was an Estwing hammer I got as a Christmas present when I was 13! ( I should have ran away and joined the circus that night😮) Still swinging one 45 yrs later. I got a Sears socket set for a birthday present when I was 16. I still have that and use it almost daily when Im working with cars.

In the late 60"s I had a part time job at a women clothing store that my mother was the manager of, I did clean up jobs and change light bulbs, across the street was a large hardware store, I would go by the hardware store once a week to look at tools, I had my eye on a SK 3/8" drive set shallow and deep chrome sockets with extensions and ratchet with green metal case, the owner would see me in there quite a bit and asked me if he could set aside till I had the money, finally I had enough money and purchased it, it was my favorite first tool I purchased with my money, and I still have it today.

Bob

1962 Sears craftsman 99 piece tool set and box. My girl friend bought it for me. She dumped me six years later 4 hours before I was going to give her a ring and ask her to marry me, news years eve 1968 just 8 days after getting out of army and coming home across the pond. I met my current wife 10 days later. Still have the tools. 
dave s 

• Like 1

3/8 drive S/K,

Still have them but warrantee is getting more difficult. No dealers want to do warrantee, but one can send the offending tool to S/K.

Later I bought an S/K 1/4 drive set that I still have as well, The metal box still survives but the inner plastic bed is trashed.

S/K replaced that plastic part twice but now NLA. Grrr

On the occasion that I buy bit kits or the likes that come in blow molded cases I consider them temporary. Don't much care for plastic cases.

4 hours ago, Alex D. said:

BFH

This is no laughing matter here!

My first car at age 16 was a Jaguar XK150 from a local salvage yard. Always used my father tools. I needed to remove a wire wheel to change a tire and the only hammer in his toolbox was a claw hammer, ball-peen and a rubber mallet. None were capable of knocking the wheels loose. My first tool was a 2lb. BFH that got the job done and I still have it.

• Like 1

I was 15 years old and I believe it was a little round spark plug gap tool with the wires for thicknesses so I could check the gaps on my 1931 Dodge plugs.

IMG_1471 (2).JPG

• Like 1

First and second tools purchased,  I had a car but still too young for a driver's permit.  First, a pair of tire irons from Sears to deal with flat tires.  Still have them but haven't used them in decades.  Second a 6-volt battery charger also from Sears, still have it and use it today.

I still have my 1967 40 piece craftsman half inch,three eights inch, and quarter inch drive sockets and ratchets, hammer and hacksaw and steel box. of course i’ve added more tools since... again mostly craftsman. and then added my wife’s previous husband’s tools and a nice rollaway tool box that i used for 35 years... she took those when we divorced. 

kind of funny because even though my dad worked on cars I had much better tools than he did. his was a unmatched bunch of tools that he gathered together over the years from yard sales, thrift stores and pawn shops. my brother still has most of them. 

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)

First tools I purchased were a very small Craftsman 3/8" socket set when I was just out of high school.

Before that I had used my dad's tools, and much to his dismay I was often not very good at putting them away properly.

• Like 1

I bought myself a set of Great Neck SAE combo wrenches in 1970, aged 14. Yeah they were cheap, made in India, bought at a Rose's discount store, but still have them and still use them. Not as much because the box ends are 12pt and I've come to prefer 6pt.

All my dad had were basic hand tools- hammer, saw, cheap knuckle-buster adjustable wrench and worn-out screwdrivers. He couldn't understand why I wanted purpose-driven tools that FIT whatever bolt I was trying to turn.

I'm sure glad I had a tool junkie aunt who loved tools herself and made sure her nephew did too. Birthdays and Christmas were always an excuse for Evelyn to get me Craftsman or Montgomery Ward tools! Still have those too!👨‍🔧

4 hours ago, JAK said:

Model T coil tester when I was 13, $50 hard earned, still have it.

Now, THAT I am impressed at! (Sort of wish I could say the same?)

So many tools over so many years!

My dad always had a lot of good tools. Almost always, there were plenty around, one would think I wouldn't need much. But I liked having tools that were mine. When I was really little, of course there were toy tools, and I had fun with them. By the time I was five, I wanted real tools, so Christmas and birthdays I got a few cheap hammers, saws, screwdrivers. A few of those, I still have and sometimes still use.

The first tool I bought? I think was a pair of pliers. I was probably about eight or ten, trying to fix something. My dad had his tools with him at the shop (tv repair shop he was part owner of), and mom's "junk drawer" didn't have what I needed. So I walked the couple blocks to the Thrifty Drug store (closest place that had any tools), and bought a pair of pliers. Common medium size, decent quality bright chrome plated.

I used money I had earned doing odd jobs. I still have them and I still use them often. The plating has become dull, a small amount of rust shows through on the jaws. I used them last week when I used the acetylene torch to solder a repair to a brass valve stem

Add me to the Craftsman tool set camp. It was my grandfather that bought me my first big tool set in 1967. Out of 24 grandchildren, I was the only one to show great interest in working on things. I was also the only one that ever drove the orchard tractors, or wanted to (soloed when I was six!). My grandfather appreciated that, and bought me the special gift (my dad advised me to not tell my cousins!). I still have almost the entire set, including the plastic envelope holding the socket magnets! 

I think two large sockets got lost, the big breaker bar broke (I bought a replacement because I refused to give up the one grandpa bought for me! A couple other small pieces lost over the years. Most of that original set plus some pieces I added myself are still in the original tool box, and used often. Much of the 3/8 socket set is in another tool box along with a lot of other tools I use most.

I can't remember for certain but I believe that it was wooden handled claw hammer to help build a tree house with a friend at about 8 or 9 years old from the proceeds of collecting pop bottles for the return money.

For all three of my boys every year for Christmas there was a new good quality tool set under the tree for each of them.  I continued that until they were each about 13 or 14 and now all of them have a respectable set of hand tools, enough to fill a small rolling tool chest and when ever we work on something together they have always used their own tools.  

The first set of tools I got was given to me by parents and I had that set until I got out of the service in 93.  I used to swair on craftsman until I found out they don't always stand behind their tools.  Now I have so many different tool sets that it does not matter as long as they will do the job.  Sometime the older the better.

I bought an offset box wrench set from Sears at the Sun Valley mall in Concord when I was a freshman in h.s. 1970. Shout out to Grimey, I grew up in Oakland and worked at the Grand Auto in Fremont.  Still have them and still use them.

Edited by Rivguy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I am probably dating myself, but when I first got serious about repairing and tuning my first "real" car ('56 Vette). I purchased the following inexpensive tune-up devices made by RAC in the early '60's.

Dwell tachometer, Engine Vacuum and Fuel Pump tester, Compression tester, and Timing light. Along with an S-K socket set.

These items kept me out of the repair shops, unless it was something more serious.

Oh well, we had to start somewhere. Still have the darn things in a box, can't seem to throw anything away.

Not exactly the first I bought. But I think the part of the first I was given as a youngster growing up. A Handy Andy tool set. The only part left is the well used and chipped screwdriver. It has been sitting in the back my '36 Packard 120 for the last 30+ years for adjusting the carb.

😊

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 7:55 PM, 3macboys said:

from the proceeds of collecting pop bottles for the return money.

Daresay most of us here scrounged bottles to get the return deposit. Never understood why someone would pay the deposit and then toss out the bottle on the roadside. But this little scrounger was glad they did! It bought tools, model cars and other young boy dreams.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Daresay most of us here scrounged bottles to get the return deposit. Never understood why someone would pay the deposit and then toss out the bottle on the roadside. But this little scrounger was glad they did! It bought tools, model cars and other young boy dreams.

I remember doing just that at 2cents/bottle when I was in elementary school.  Spending money.

On 5/21/2022 at 8:59 PM, Larry Schramm said:

Pictures of the first group of socket sets that I purchased at Woolworths.  I still use them regularly.

Guess when I bought them based on the prices in the boxes.

image000000 - 2022-05-21T205803.977.jpg

Woolworth's sold S-K?!

Are those the tapered end sockets S-K was making late-50s thru '70s?

I have a 1/2" drive set I found at an estate auction, minus the metal case. I like using them. When I first saw them I thought someone had ground down the broach end, then I looked closer and said to meself "want!". And I got the 12 pc set of 3/8" thru 1" for ten bucks. It even has a 29/32" socket which I'm sure was commonly used for something, just not in my experience!😄

Anyone know what 19/32, 25/32 and 29/32 wrenches were used on? I have some, but nothing to turn with them.😕

46 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Woolworth's sold S-K?!

Are those the tapered end sockets S-K was making late-50s thru '70s?

Yes, Woolworths sold the sets, it was not the small 5 & 10cent store, but if I remember correctly was called Woolco?

And yes they are the sockets  mainly on the 1/2 inch set.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1