What has your vintage car done for other people lately? Stories of the happiness we create when we drive our vintage cars

Professor

Many of us who hang around automobile forums have see the ubiquitous threads that say something like “What have you done to your (insert a vehicle model or type here) today?”

In a thread by @Matt Harwood, I suggested that he focus not on cost, trials, and tribulations that restoring our vintage cars create, but rather, to focus on the joy they bring to others…. Especially now at a time when joy can be difficult to come by.

If you’ve driven your vintage car in public, ever, you know exactly what I am talking about.  When we drive our cars, we make people happy.  Whether it is coming out of a car parts store and finding 6 people standing around your car, or an elderly man at a gas station staring at your car with a huge grin and thanking you for bringing your car out today, or even all the people who pass you on the road who honk and give you a thumbs up and a huge smile.  There can be little doubt that our hard work on our cars can, and do, spread happiness.

So… let’s hear the stories of how driving your vintage car has a positive impact on others.  

I will start with a short story from last week.  

I went into a local Auto Zone store to get some cleaning supplies and when I came out, there were six men standing around my car, including two Auto Zone employees, every last one of them was smiling.  They asked me the year of my car, how long I have had it, if they could see the engine (I opened the hood), and if they could take pictures of my car (of course they can).  These strangers were grinning ear-to-ear when I finally drove off… and perhaps more important, they were talking with each other, some, no doubt, were complete strangers.

A second story from about three weeks ago.

I pulled over to a small abandoned parking lot to check something out on my car quickly.  I was outside my car listening to the engine at idle when a couple of elderly ladies who were driving by pulled into the parking lot and got out of their car.  They both raved over seeing my car, and they they asked if I would take a picture of them in front of my car.  I did of course, and then I offered to let them sit in the driver’s seat and I would take a picture with their camera.  I took the pictures, and I am absolutely certain that they shared these happy pictures with their families.

Yes, our cars cost us a great deal of time and money… but the happiness they bring in a world where there seems to be a dearth of happiness, is absolutely incalculable. 

So dear friends… what has your car done for others recently?

Joe

• Like 8

Joe,

I like this topic and the inherent positivity that it is likely to generate.  We all need more of that. I have had a lot of great experiences along the way and it's a little hard to narrow them down to just one.

While the chance to let children sit in the cars is the best (if a child is near the car, I always let them sit in it and take a photo), some of the best times have involved episodes of mechanical challenges, or just foolish things on my part.

I was driving my '26 Ford to a friend's house and remembered that I neglected to check the gas before leaving home.  Almost on cue the car began to misfire and was out of gas. I  got out to push the car to the side of the road and hoof it to my buddy's house (walk of shame). 

At that moment man came by on a garden tractor.  He asked if I needed help so I explained my situation.  Within two minutes he was back with a 5 gallon can of gas and told me to put all of it in the car. 

When I was done, he asked if he could take a picture of the car.  Then he refused to accept any money for the gas explaining that it was worth it to him just to be allowed to see the car up close.

I have many more stories of the happiness my cars bring to others. Again,  great thread Joe.

Eric 

• Like 8

Although I spend quite a bit of time on the site enjoying it tremendously, I do recognize that I am a stranger to you. I am not a guy that gets to Hershey, attends concours shows.....  because of that I keep my private life off the forum....  but this thread causes me to break that “keep private life off a public forum”.  My dad passed away on Tuesday. I have been up since 5am drinking coffee writing his eulogy. He was my hero. I am totally fine, he was such a great dad and I miss him...........

Early in the year I bought a Packard and we got dad up to northern Illinois to visit (from his assisted living facility in Clearwater Florida.  I have mentioned before that my dad was not a car guy.....”most reliable for the cheapest”.  He had a chevette for ten years.  Dad just loved the Packard. We spent tons of time talking about the car. He was so blown away that it was six years older than him.  With mild dementia and cognitive decline, it is sometimes hard to find things to talk about for any length of time......and then entered The Packard.....

I couldn’t believe how alert and inquisitive and happy that car made him.   It seemed to turn back the clock for us visiting to before he had any mental decline. I am so thankful for those talks in the garage this summer. 46E3E8A8-2EA9-4CE9-B387-402353CD444A.jpeg.a6a35227ca5100e78f84c2861548fb5b.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 8

Mr. Bloom you are not alone. My dad was a car guy but to poor to do anything about it. So when I had the chance I bought my first project car because he installed that love of cars in me. Then later in life I bought my 1919 Dodge because he loved the really old iron.  He loved to go for drives in that car. It would bring up old memories that even he thought he forgot. It really was something. Since his passing I may have driven the car twice. I start it every two months but other than that it remains for the memories. So, in a way. the joy it brought my dad brings me joy.

Sorry for your loss.

• Like 4

I love giving folks who are older than my Model T rides.

Here is one of the greatest generation and me at our VFW on Memorial Day a couple years ago. Sadly Gene passed away since then.

D83C9BBB-93D0-495B-A7AB-144DA6F78EA6.jpeg

• Like 7

John, SO sorry for your loss. The photo of your Dad says it all - he was SO happy to see your Packard and that moment will stay with you as it had with him.

My Dad wasn't a car guy, but when I got my first old car in my very early teens he found a hobby too and we worked on and drove the cars I had for the next 33 years.

Other "what cars have done for other people" stories. I used to take my folks out to a farm stand to buy fresh produce. Not far away from where I live in Floral Park  to Franklin Square, NY. As I sat in my 1931 Franklin victoria a older gent came up and started to talk. He told me he remembered Franklins well and was so pleased to see one again after not seeing one for 35+ years ( at the time) . He went on to say that he worked for the Cadillac service Dept. at Columbus Circle on 59th Street in NY City in the late 1920s - early 1930s. The Franklin dealership ( named Pase Franklin) was also there on the west side of the circle at the base of Central Park. He told me that all the people in the shop at Cadillac would stop work all at once and run to the windows to look out when a certain Franklin sedan was pulling up to be serviced at the Franklin dealership. The owner of the Franklin was Charles Lindbergh,  who at that time was a world wide hero for his record setting flight from NY to Paris. He told me that everyone wished they had worked for Franklin at the time that Lindbergh would be there as they would be within a few feet of someone they all admired.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Last summer a professional photographer visited the museum to take senior portraits. As usual the museum grounds were stunning. However, her subject - a very quite young man didn't seem "into" or excited about the whole process. After they had taken a number of shots at various point around the campus, they arrived back at Machinery Hall. He still wasn't a happy photo subject and no doubt his mom was getting a bit exasperated. 

As it happened we had the 1934, 10 ton Lombard tractor out and about. That he was interested in! Not only did he get to sit in the seat, he got to take it for a short drive (under close supervision at slow speed) and they used it as a prop for his portrait. Needless to say he was all smiles and told his mom how "this is much better than a bunch of trees!" He was happy, his mom was happy and the photographer was happy. 

Moments like these make all the effort worth while!

DSC_8945.jpg.aac1469487be8fa3d21735d0d1db677e.jpg

DSC_8951.jpg.5c27c7d4948daaffc2c29fc92cbd9eca.jpg

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 11

A few months back I driven my Buick to work. My boss was there with his elderly aunt.  She saw the Buick and was delighted to see this 54.  She chuckled when she asked me for the keys.  I did her one better.  Took her for a ride.  She was all smiles and said it was such a treat to ride in a car she remembers from her younger years. She talked about her cars and waxing them.  Apparently she was quite the car buff and spent hours meticulously washing her cars. 

• Like 6

I’ve mentioned before that I don’t like shows as much as driving, but when I do go to a show I leave my doors open on one side and let parents take pictures of kids driving or sitting in the back. It’s surprising how many questions people have when you are more open and excited about showing the history of your car. This picture is from 2019 but there was a pretty good crowd between my car and the PA roadster next to me. He was encouraging kids to get in his rumble seat for pictures.  People were very respectful and appreciative as well.

024F5392-950A-4D9E-BA0B-69DB6DDC2547.jpeg

• Like 10

I purchased my first car in the early 70's when I was still in high school and didn't even have a drivers license. I remember asking my Mom about me purchasing the car and she told me "That is was foolish, but it's your money. It's a convertible, who wants a convertible anyway?" I purchased it right away and had to put it in her name for insurance and age restrictions. I think I forgot to say.....it didn't run and needed an exhaust system.

And I knew nothing about cars.

She drove that car from time to time when her's was being repaired and always liked the way it handled and especially the seats. I kept that car and promised to restore it and give her the first ride.

Shortly before she passed I got the car restored and she got that ride in my 65 Electra that I always promised her. A happy day for sure.

Bill

Grandma riding in Conv.jpg

• Like 12

Like so many say, folks seem to love the  old cars, but I have to say our little 63 Mini seems to give folks the most pleasure. Most of course, have never seen one, and the comments are "all over the place" from adults and kids as well. The parents love it when I ask if they want to take pics of their kids in the car, and I have put an Ah-Ooga horn on it and tell the young'un to press the chrome button if  they want a surprise. I have even had parents hug me and then ask if they can get their pic took in or by it. Fun and games with old cars !!!   The most common thing about our Studebaker is nearly everyone has a story about who had one, and usually "just like this", ha !  Thanks for this post Mr.   ....and Professor !

Edited by John Byrd (see edit history)
  • Like 3

A great thread!

This year is my 50th year in the hobby since my neighbor, Tom Brookover gave me a AACA membership.   Now on my 4th 1934 Ford,

and dozens of other antique cars from a 1915 T to a 1981 El Camino, I've enjoyed sharing the advemture with many others.    My father 

died 1979 got to enjoy riding along on a tour in the first 34 that I restored.   We took my mother on local tours until se was over 92, that

started a annual vist to her care facility that still happens.  Since then we've taken at least 5 other couples on national tours.   We've

carried brides, grooms, best men and brides maids in weddings, all smiles.   We've visited memory care and nursing homes, where old

cars and old music brighten up fading memories.   We've been to schools, kindergardens thru collage to share our love of old cars with

young people.   Many find it hard to believe that the 29 state decals on my windows, track the states we've toured in in that car.

Historical Society Museums and folk festivals are another frequent place to share the hobby.   They joys of ownership of cars older than

we are, is almost as much fun as the other owners of antique cars bring to us.

IMG_E0755.JPG.3e7d060f7d39489ebc98446d4ba5d8b3.JPGKindergardeners.jpg.90e4854ee8cfed15fd4a0db012cf574f.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin
spill check (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

He was encouraging kids to get in his rumble seat for pictures.  People were very respectful and appreciative as well.

Ha!  Offer up your rumble seat and you'll get a few folks of "that generation" who will come up with stories of their rumble seat experiences.  Pretty entertaining.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Last fall we had a friend from church who was turning 100.  She doesn't get out much anymore and COVID meant people couldn't drop in for a visit (she still lives on her own) so I organized a 100 year parade for her.  I rounded up one car from each decade of her life, from a 2021 electric BMW to my 1927 Auburn.  We formed up a block away and her family brought her out to the street for our drive-by.  We went newest to oldest, so it was like going back in time.  She was smiling and waving like the queen!  As well, I prepared a little booklet with a page for each car and decade highlights that she would remember through her life.  I've been told since that she keeps the book on her table and talks about that day often.

And all my car buddies were terrific!  Even though most drivers didn't know my friend, they were all eager and honoured to be part of such an event.  A great day for all!

drive-by.jpg.bd2f0cf16e752f9bb310ba43eafecb38.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

My car interaction with other people has been seriously limited since Covid but my current hobby cars still attract plenty of interest. My 60 Buick gets the most waves and honks when I drive it due to its "in-your-face" size and fin car styling. But my 66 Dodge Monaco wagon is probably the most popular car I have ever owned. The short You Tube video I posted when it came off the trailer has a surprisingly large number of views and comments. Every time I take it to a cruise-in or even the gas station people ask what year and make it is and they always share a station wagon story from their family past.

20211129_130722.jpg

DSCF3280.JPG

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Terry Harper said:

Last summer a professional photographer visited the museum to take senior portraits. As usual the museum grounds were stunning. However, her subject - a very quite young man didn't seem "into" or excited about the whole process. After they had taken a number of shots at various point around the campus, they arrived back at Machinery Hall. He still wasn't a happy photo subject and no doubt his mom was getting a bit exasperated. 

As it happened we had the 1934, 10 ton Lombard tractor out and about. That he was interested in! Not only did he get to sit in the seat, he got to take it for a short drive (under close supervision at slow speed) and they used it as a prop for his portrait. Needless to say he was all smiles and told his mom how "this is much better than a bunch of trees!" He was happy, his mom was happy and the photographer was happy. 

Moments like these make all the effort worth while!

DSC_8945.jpg.aac1469487be8fa3d21735d0d1db677e.jpg

DSC_8951.jpg.5c27c7d4948daaffc2c29fc92cbd9eca.jpg

Terry, you and the Museum folks have planted a seed. My guess is you have a future member/volunteer and a young man who will have his own old machine soon as he's able.

My cars haven't gone out much in the past few years, but I hopefully planted a seed in some of the high school boys who were completely fascinated by them, especially the Toronado. I count myself fortunate indeed that a lot of those kids (who are now pushing 40) keep in touch with me and will bend my ear for hours telling me what they're working on.

• Like 6

I’ve told this story before but it’s worth repeating. 
I had the Studebaker in a gas station filling up when two couples came out and saw the car. They came over and pretty soon two more men came over. I was showing them the engine and the big Philco tube radio under the dash. They were all taking pictures and the two women even got behind the wheel. All this took about 15-20 minutes when another lady came up to me. She didn’t have a smile on her face. She pointed a finger at me and said “Will you please get that car out of here so my husband will finish filling our car so we can leave !”  We all had a good laugh even the woman that wanted to leave. 
dave s 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

I can and have told stories on this forum before, but the most recent event happened just before Christmas. My wife had gone to get her nails done, taking the only car we drive in the winter with her. I wanted to get a couple more things for her while she was out, but my backup vehicle, the Jeep ,had no liability insurance for the winter. That left the old cars,which are insured year round. They are rarely driven after October, but what little road salt that had been applied thus far had been washed away by a rain storm, I took the '40 Packard. When I came out of the store, a couple of guys were giving the old car a good going over. Turns out they had been out for a walk and spotted it in the parking lot a half mile away ! Somehow they didn't believe me when I told them it was my winter beater. I took them for a drive in it, and one of them, a hot-rodder as it turned out, may have been swayed enough to change his ways !

1940 Packard sporting new boards 001.JPG

• Like 8

On New Year's Day 2019 (pre-COVID, remember those days?), we attended our neighbor's annual New Year's party beginning about noon.  We were fashionably 30 minutes late, and arrived to find that early that very morning our hosts' toy poodle Spike had dug under the fence where he was killed by their neighbor's large dog.  A literal pall hung over the gathering, as if attendees (both neighbors and professional colleagues) did not want to appear to be enjoying themselves as usual under the circumstances.  The host and hostess were carrying on as best they could, but it was clear their hearts and minds were elsewhere.

After about half an hour my GF Annie, she of consummate good sense, suggested that I bring the 1918 Pierce-Arrow 5-passenger touring over and offer attendees rides.  I said that I did not want to make this about us, but she said we need to help lighten the mood.  So I went and brought the Pierce over on a nice 55* day, and carried each of about 8-10 carfuls on a 3-mile, 10-minute loop through the city.  Some were even willing to sit on laps or on the floor in the back seat, even though we assured that everyone would get a ride.  There was an immediate improvement in mood throughout the party and my passengers seemed relieved to have something to smile and laugh about.  The bulb horn and the ahoogah horns got a workout.  And early the next morning before we could prepare our thank-you note, we received a hand-delivered TY note from the hosts thanking us for saving the party.

• Like 11

I never fail to draw a crowd when I take out my 1925 Harley.  Between the "barn found" look and the curiosity of the sidecar, everyone wants a look or a picture.  And a ride is pretty special.  When I took it to the seniors' home, even some of the older ladies wanted a picture in or on it.  Smiles all around.

629016568_sidecarrides.jpg.781ed4cd9aa1c33165e1c7f2b04eae4a.jpg

• Like 8

There is (possibly used to be) an annual car show in Seaside Oregon that I attend.

Its called "Wheels and Waves".

One of the early bird (Thursday) events it a parade of sorts (police assisted) that tours several old folks homes.

This has gotten to be a pretty big deal as there must be upwards of a hundred participants.

There will be many patients in their wheelchairs, or folding chairs, many people looking out of windows and lots of regular citizens in lawn chairs along the route.

Even the cars at traffic lights that the police stop to keep us together get a kick out of us, Lots of thumbs up.

To see the joy of those in the homes waving and smiling is very satisfying to say the least.

It is unfortunate that we don't get to stop at most of these homes, but rather just parade thru the parking lots and right by the front doors.

Car after car these folks waving and smiling, it does me good.

The last home, a rather large facility does indeed let us park and they feed us BBQ hot dogs and burgers. This place even has an in house band that plays for our dining enjoyment. 

VERY fun stuff.

• Like 2

I've had a lot of these same experiences.  Here's one that's a bit different.

Every non-Covid year, the North Jersey and Southern Ontario regions of the HCCA get together for a week-long joint tour in pre-1916 cars.  A few years ago, the Canadians hosted it in Kingston, a medium-size city at the eastern end of lake Ontario.  There's an old fortress at the east end of the city, built after the war of 1812 to keep those nasty Americans from invading again.  The host hotel was on the west side of the city.  One evening we had a tour of the fortress, followed by a flag-lowering ceremony at sunset.  Of course, it was dark when this ended, and there was a city between us and bed.  We had a gaslight (or weak electric light, or not-much-at-all-light) parade back through Kingston, maybe 40 cars, escorted by three or four motorcycle cops.  When the last antique had passed an intersection, the last cop would switch the lights back to normal operation, and then roar past the whole line to operate the light at the new head of the parade. We had a great time, people who were out and about in Kingston cheered us lustily, but I think those cops had more fun than anybody!

• Like 2

With all due respect to the effort it takes to organize a car show that has classes and judging for awards , reading this gives me a sense of what ( at least for some of us) having an old car is all about. Just like being on these forums, it is the sharing - with the cars in person it is the real object - here in the years long Covid racked and wrecked lives we have to endure it is the closest thing we can still do with our love of the heritage of the automobile - via stories, memories, images  ( both printed and in photographs) and now look forward to once again using our cars and trucks , motorcycles etc to let people see them and be part of the good feeling we share.

This is off topic, but it too is 'stories of happiness'. Thanks to all for being here.

Walt

• Like 6

This isn't a recent story but it's too good...

I was helping a friend unload his newly acquired 1921 Silver Ghost — a remarkably well preserved Permanent Salamanca town car that had once belonged to August Busch. It came out of the truck on the street and we were fiddling with it to get it started so he could drive it into the garage. The usual gawkers came along with the usual questions — like "is that a Packard" or "gee, a straight twelve" (counting the spark plugs). Just as we were finishing up an elderly nun walked by. She looked over and commented "Oh, an American Silver Ghost, and an early one too." I imagine the looks on our faces showed how surprised we were so she added "my father worked for Rolls Royce of America."

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 11

9 hours ago, PFindlay said:

Ha!  Offer up your rumble seat and you'll get a few folks of "that generation" who will come up with stories of their rumble seat experiences.  Pretty entertaining.

Funny you should say that…

When I first had my 1929 Model A Roadster my dad and a friend of his was visiting when I suggested a ride in the car, now  Dad’s friend was 78 years old, 6’-4” tall, and smiling like a five year old as he jumped into my rumble seat! His dad had the same car when he was little and he was a kid again…

2EA6F287-9BE2-419A-A483-018BA3E5F91F.jpeg

• Like 7

On 1/8/2022 at 7:29 AM, Brass is Best said:

All you have to do is take your old car for a ride. Watch peoples faces in other cars and on the sidewalk as you pass. Count the thumbs ups and waves. People love old cars unless something is seriously wrong with them.

Fully agree, except in my case of 40+ years and driving hundreds of thousands of miles with hundreds of vintage cars on two continents, the amount of greetings, smiles, thumb's ups, waves, etc is uncountable and I wouldn't surprised if they all filled more than one large warehouse.

And the times I've had something (serious or not) wrong with any on the side of the road, the amount of inquiries offering assistance has always been surprisingly high. 

Heck, I couldn't even count the times I've just stopped to take a leak or scenic photo while out driving a vintage car and someone inevitably slows down/stops to ask if I need any assistance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Jack Bennett said:

And, I’ll bet even money that people who collect, and drive, old cars are less likely to commit a crime, serve prison time, and can talk longer about their old car than anything else.

Well, while presumably not very common, there are more than plenty examples of individuals having used their illicit financial gains to hide or park them in old/vintage car(s) or collections of such.

Many have even been sentenced to prison... 

• Like 1

Following the accident in 2012 that left me paralyzed from the waist down and missing a leg I had to sell my old cars, parts, motorcycles and the like as I could no longer drive and my wife and I had to move to a new home that was smaller and wheelchair modified for me to get around. I needed something to do so I found a place I could go to one or two days a week that would give my wife some free time and me a break from being in the house day after day.  The place is called an adult day care center, but it’s really an oasis for older folks like me dealing with the unexpected curve balls life has thrown at them.  
After I was there a while and the staff got to know me, they asked if I could help them with planning events that the guys attending might enjoy. The staff is all women so their interests were more along cooking, bingo, and gardening interests. So with my love of cars and motorcycles I started giving talks on old cars, gas stations of old, a car show using model cars we built and even a car race using HotWheels and HotWheels track.  So there is lots you can do to share your hobby even if you no longer have a car or can drive. The picture below was a talk and interactive session I had with the group on “My First Car”.  I used things from my auto literature collection and some die cast cars to set the stage.  And yes, now you know the face behind the name.

3BE16791-0EFF-4B26-8EF0-C20A237B1093.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

In our family, our 1929 Chrysler 75 is a coupe.  When the youngest daughter was maybe 7 -8 and had her friend visiting - ice cream was required.  Loaded up the kids in the rumble seat.  They waved to everyone.  I heard them talking they rode in the bunker seat.  Later they would request - on a warm summer evening - with the lightning bugs starting to come out - 'we want to ride in the bunker seatt and get ice cream'.

To this day, our family talks about the bunker seat. and how much fun it is to ride in the bunker seat waving...

We have the grandkids now - riding in the bunker seat.

Nice thread. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It doesn't even have to be a really old car. My '96 Mustang got a lot of interest from an older guy that was working at the oil change place. At the supermarket, a young middle aged (early forties) couple came over to check out my car as they heard it pull into the lot. Of course they had one when they were first married. I even had a panhandler on the street tell me about the 5.0 he used to own! An old pick up is even better. When I drove my bright red '66 F250, every gas stop was time for a conversation. 

My local antique car club has for years made it a priority to visit assisted living facilities in the greater Grand Rapids, Michigan area.  We have many requests each year and have several homes that we visit on an annual basis.  The visits are always met with appreciation and bring a lot of enjoyment to all involved.  Our monthly summer meetings are concluded with driving our cars to various different ice cream shops. During the Covid pandemic, there have been requests for driving our cars past homes of people who are confined that are celebrating a birthday or need a cheering up, etc.

• Like 2

My story pales in comparison to the others' here, but my Studebaker 2-ton Diesel truck earned me a ball cap from a hotel I stayed overnight at, and has drawn many people to look it over at truck stops over the years while refueling, and even at local Detroit Diesel dealer/shop. 

In 2001, I was returning from Billings where I attended a Studebaker meet with it, and it was getting nightfall on the Sunday evening.  I just finished restoring the Diesel with a few loose ends that weren't quite completed when I went on that trip, including the remanufactured rear wiring harness which had not arrived by the time I left.  To drive it safely, at least during the day, I installed temporary wiring for the brake and signal lights, but not the taillights, so I decided to 'play it safe' and turned into the Lazy-J motel about 95 miles south for the night.  The Lazy-J Motel is next to the highway, and being a long wheelbase truck, I was forced to park immediately next to the highway instead of in the regular parking spots near the building, and was told they would keep an eye on it overnight.   The next morning, the proprietor of the hotel handed me a 'Lazy J' ball cap, and commented he had a 'full house' that night, which he never had on a Sunday unless it was a long weekend.  He mentioned several travelers pulled over to look at my truck and more than a few decided they would call it a night at that hotel, where they normally wouldn't have.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 9

Though not recent, this is without doubt the most gratification I have gotten from my '25 Maxwell/Chrysler.  A few years back a friend of my son's was talking to his 80+ year-old grandmother about the car. When he showed her a pic she said it looked very much like one her dad had when she was little girl. She begged him to ask for a ride and I was more than happy to oblige. When they arrived her face was beaming and as she got out of their car she was giddy as a five-year-old on Christmas morning.  We carefully put her in our car and put the roof down at her request because "that's what Dad always did." During our 1/2 hour drive around town she constantly recounted the days of rides in Dad's car. When we returned home and were helping her out she thanked me repeatedly and had tears of joy in her eyes. After that, every time my son saw or talked to his friend, he kept saying how much his grandmother enjoyed the ride. She passed away about a year later and it made me glad that I could do something that allowed her to relive an obviously happy time in her life.

• Like 12