When You Were A Little Kid, What did your Dad do that was completely amazing?

Angelfish

At the B & B store my dad once pulled out a $100 bill to pay for the groceries, I thought it was all the money in the world.   But what was really amazing was that he would pick up the tongue of the boat trailer WIth the Boat on It!  and move it into position beside the shed.  

My Dad was richer than a king and stronger than Superman!

Edited by Angelfish (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

He grew up in near poverty, suffered the loss of his father at an early age, survived the depression, supported his widowed mother for nearly 30 years, too old for the draft, he worked in the defense industry through WWII, married a wonderful, loving woman, raised two sons through college and never uttered a discouraging word.

He was born in the horse and buggy age and lived to see man walk on the moon.

Edited by f.f.jones (see edit history)
  • Like 4

My Dad could stand a 12 lb. sledgehammer by his right foot, put the end of the handle in the center of his right hand, swing the hammer up and touch his nose and set the hammer back down slowly.

He meant my mother when she and her mother were stuck on a muddy road in a model T. ( He was born in 1899)  He lifted the T ( front then rear according to Mom) out of the ruts than drove them until they caught up with Grandpa who was walking to a neighbors to get a team of horses.

They invited him to Sunday dinner which eventually allowed my three sisters, four brothers, and me a place on earth.

• Like 1

Great question.  I have lots of good memories of my old man.   He and I worked every night after dinner when I was in HS on my GTO together.  He gas welded the entire car back together again.   It looked great.   I often wonder if someone down the line ever stripped that car and lost their minds.

He is 96 with enough energy to give me a list of stupid things to do every day.

dad017A.jpg

• Like 8

My dad was born in'24, suffered through the depression, lost his mother at 15, his dad at 17, was drafted into the army and served 3 years in Indo-China, came home to raise his 7 year old sister by himself! He became a carpenter and I swear he could fix anything but a car. He hated to work on cars! He never seemed to relax much, he was always working on something! One time in the early'60's, I saw him raise a 12in x 20ft concrete pipe and stand it on end by himself! He was a very strong man, and could be hard at times , but he taught me how to work and to be a man. I and my son both followed in his footsteps!

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, jpage said:

My dad was born in'24, suffered through the depression, lost his mother at 15, his dad at 17, was drafted into the army and served 3 years in Indo-China, came home to raise his 7 year old sister by himself! He became a carpenter and I swear he could fix anything but a car. He hated to work on cars! He never seemed to relax much, he was always working on something! One time in the early'60's, I saw him raise a 12in x 20ft concrete pipe and stand it on end by himself! He was a very strong man, and could be hard at times , but he taught me how to work and to be a man. I and my son both followed in his footsteps!

That is funny, because my dad could do mechanical things, but you couldn’t put a hammer in his hand. He was useless with wood.

He was born in 1925, but his dad was employed all through the depression. They were not rich, but they were not poor.

• Like 1

My Dad was a great cook, from South Louisiana and Cajun French blood ran through his veins.

He could fix small things, but never saw him do any work on a car.  He loved Oldsmobiles, born in 1910, he was buying them for family and business starting in the 1930s.  In 1956, local newspaper ran a picture of him buying his 25th Oldsmobile, a Holiday coupe.

He was drafted in 1942, but the fellow he worked for deemed him essential at home, so the fellow offered up his son instead as a trade and the draft board accepted.  

When I expressed interest in an old car to restore he was very supportive, buying me a 31 Chevy when I was 13 and a 25 Dodge when I was 15.  He was astounded I restored the Chevy, and I drove it to high school in the late 1960s.

I could not have asked for a finer gentleman to be my father…

• Like 6

When I was a kid in the 70's, my dad restored a 1949 Ford woodie in our 1 car garage. I am now restoring a woodie in a 30' x 40' outbuilding/polebarn and sometimes that doesn't seem like enough space. 

• Haha 1

I dont think I can pinpoint any one thing. My father was a self employed building contractor (like a couple of the above, could fix or build anything but not car/mechanical related-apple didnt fall far the tree!). From the time I was 13 he started dragging me to work on weekends and summers. As a teenager the last thing I had on my mind was working construction on my spare time. I spent the next 30 years working beside him some bad days and some good days. I am blessed for what I learned from him over the years (both professionally and personally).

• Like 2

I started to read through all of the above posts and lost sight as to the direction. But to get back to the original question, I cant think off hand of my dad but my best friends dad was about 6'6". Tallest guy in the 'hood. To me as a kid it was like having Herman Munster as a neighbor in a good way. He would often pick stuff up, reach tall places without a ladder and all that other kind of stuff that amazed a 10 yo kid.

• Like 1

My dad took me to countless car shows when I got the bug at an early age due to exposure to family friends in the hobby.  Both parents were avid antique collectors, dad not so much cars but lots of other interests including gas and oil stuff.  

They let me get a car at 14, which I saved for but still pretty good on their part.  I cannot complain one bit about my childhood which makes me pretty lucky I guess.

• Like 1

I had precious little time with my Dad. I recall he was a used car salesman at Whitaker Buick in St. Paul MN. Every day he worked he would come home in a different car. I would watch for him out the kitchen window. Unfortunately one day he did not come home, a terrible car accident which took his life at age 38. I believe his love for cars was passed to me. 

C750FFD7-05E2-4D3D-8D87-3F483D390F21.jpeg

• Like 5

My dad was always there for me.  Not really outwardly but behind the scenes.  He was my catcher when I was an aspiring pitcher in "Little League".  He always kept me busy with busy but interesting work.  He sent me to a strict private school and when I was about ready to get kicked out for cussing he took the blame and told the principle that I had learned it from him.  Actually graduated from the school.

He bought me an early 30 Model A Rdst. PU for my 15th birthday and then spent the next 9 months working with me 6 or 7 nights a week to restore it.  Still have the truck 50 years later.

But I think most of all, my dad was a real gentleman, a man's man and a good husband.  My mother had issues that took her to alcohol.  Dad stood by her through that journey and was probably her route to eventual freedom.  If my wife compliments me it is usually along with the words, 'you are like your dad".  I don't think I can get better praise!

After mom died dad met a nice lady and called me up one day to ask my permission to get married again.  He never wanted to do anything to dim our view of him.  He got my approval.

Probably not the response asked for in this post but these are a few of my memories of who my dad was.

• Like 3

My Dad. At age 12 came down with juvenile diabetes, if he had come down with it a year earlier, he would have died. Insulin was released to the public the year he came down with it. Had to quit school after the 9th grade to help out the family. Started along with my uncle their own business in 1938 which lasted over 30 years until his death.

Started body building and surfing in 1927 which he kept up until about a year before he died. Was a car guy as well and drag racer. Was an avid gardener. Taught my Mom how to surf in 1934-35 my sister in 1939-40 and me.

Gave me the love of surfing and the ocean, the appreciation and love of cars, the appreciation and love of gardening and the love of family and doing things together.

I loved his sayings like; It's nearly the end of the day, a day of surfing, the sun is going down sinking into the ocean, we are packing up and some of my friends and I are standing around and my dad comes up to us points to the setting sun and says, " Consider the sun going down...it always does you know" and then continues packing up. 

• Like 1

Too many stories about my father......and my mother. My mother is still with us at 94 years of age. If it were not for my parents I would be in some jail or prison somewhere..........they taught the most basic of ideas to all six children. 

Hard work is the way you acquire EVERYTHING in life, there are no short cuts.

Always be fair and honest in you business dealings.(And in life also.)

Your word or your handshake is your bond, never go back on it.

The harder you work, the luckier you will get.

Mom- Shut up and do what your father tells you.

Dad- Shut up and do what your mother says.

Dad finished 10th grade, and made it in the business world and lived the American dream.

I owe them much more than I can possibly express.........I am the luckiest child in the world to have had two steady parents that were kind, understanding, and patient. I hit the lottery and I am forever grateful to them.

I would give up all my worldly possessions to spend just one more hour with the old man.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Just now, Pfeil said:

My Dad. At age 12 came down with juvenile diabetes, if he had come down with it a year earlier, he would have died. Insulin was released to the public the year he came down with it. Had to quit school after the 9th grade to help out the family. Started along with my uncle their own business in 1938 which lasted over 30 years until his death.

Started body building and surfing in 1927 which he kept up until about a year before he died. Was a car guy as well and drag racer. Was an avid gardener. Taught my Mom how to surf in 1934-35 my sister in 1939-40 and me.

Gave me the love of surfing and the ocean, the appreciation and love of cars, the appreciation and love of gardening and the love of family and doing things together.

I loved his sayings like; It's nearly the end of the day, a day of surfing, the sun is going down sinking into the ocean, we are packing up and some of my friends and I are standing around and my dad comes up to us points to the setting sun and says, " Consider the sun going down...it always does you know" and then continues packing up.

Even though I had married and moved a few miles way I would always come over on a Friday or Saturday afternoon and help my dad cut the lawn and wash his car. I was over there the Friday, the day before he died when he stopped me on the mower, and he stopped the edger and said to me. You know if I had to do it over again, I would have paid a little more attention to the cardiovascular system. At the time I thought " well OK " to that, the next day I knew what he meant.

• Like 1

These are all great stories and I hope you cherish them for a long time.

Unfortunately my Dad had a massive cerebral hemorrhage when I was only 12.

We had just come home from a Denver Bears baseball game and I was downstairs in my room sleeping.

Sometime around midnight I think, my Mom woke me up to tell me we were going to the hospital. I didn't hear anything that was going on.

I was told my Dad always wanted a son and I believe we would have done great things together had this not have happened. I also believe he would

have help me become a better person and would have taught me about life. Girls, Cars, Fishing, etc.

He survived but had so much anger towards the family and the folks who took care of him. He was never able to return to work or drive or do anything a

healthy middle aged man should have done. My Mom literally had to take over raising and taking care of me and my 2 sisters.

I think I turn out OK for the most part, but will always wonder what could have been. I didn't even join the Air Force when I had the chance after high school

because I wanted to be there for my Mom and my Dad.

Better stop now as the tears in my eyes are beginning to flow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The hi-fi in the living room went deathly silent one day.  My dad showed me at the age of four how easy it was it was to fix when he picked up a brand new vacuum tube on his way home from work, pulled the hi-fi away from the wall, removed the rear cover, and changed it. Turned it on, 30 seconds later, sounds of the British Invasion pounding down the walls of the living room once again!!

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 3

My father was our Cub Scout Pack Leader, then our boy 'Scout Troop Leader.   I was a Life Scout and learned Girls did not have Cooties.

On my 12th Birthday he came home from work and taught me to drive his 1950 Austin Saloon and his 54 Metroplitan Conv..   When I was 13 he

agreed to pay 50% and let me buy a motorcycle under one condition,   I HAD TO RESTORE IT BEFORE I COULD DRIVE IT.   Same deal he made my

brother who bought a 1942 Harley Davidson 45 Police bike.   I bought a 1952 Zundapp 250.   I was hooked and boats and cars soon followed and 

I was very good about maintaining my vehicles because of my sweat equity.   My father was the smartest man I ever knew..  He was also a Phd. in

Educational Psychology, a pilot and loved old Cadillac Convertibles, boats and our motorcycles. 

• Like 3

My Dad was a wonderful man that grew up on an egg ranch.

Growing up on a farm meant you fixed just about everything you could and you almost never called someone to do work you or someone in the family could do.

That meant at a very early age I was out in the garage or driveway doing basic maintenance and repairs on our cars with my Dad.

After dropping out of college to get married, my Dad worked in various positions in parts depts for Chevy, Cadillac and Toyota.

He was a parts manager when he decided to finish college and become an elementary school teacher.

Once he started teaching, he had an amazing way of connecting with troubled kids and because of this, he was given as many 'bad' kids as he could handle.

Growing up I went with him to countless football, baseball and basketball games that his students were playing in.

Often times we were the only ones there to watch and support his student.

He was a tough but fair teacher and the kids loved the structure and the discipline, even if the parents did not.

His students liked him so much that many would often come back to visit him as they grew up, keeping him up to date on their progress through life.  They would even come back to introduce him to their new spouses when they got married.

He made a huge difference in their lives and they showed their appreciation by letting him know that they were still doing well after being in his class.

When Dad passed away, there were quite a few former students that attended his funeral and all of them took the time to let the family know how much Dad had changed their lives for the better.

So, I guess the part of my Dad that was completely amazing was the way he was able to help troubled kids and get them to straighten out their lives.

As a side note, since Dad was a parts guy long before computers, until the day he died he could tell you the part number for a Corvair oil pressure sending unit (he said they sold them like popcorn) and could recite part group numbers. He could also tell you which books to look in depending on which parts you wanted.

Dad was the person everyone went to for advice and clear thinking.  He even did a short stint as a therapist since his Masters was in psychology but he quickly went back to the classroom because he felt he made more of a difference there.

He's been gone for over 10 years now and I still miss him every day.

Dad and Pierce.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zepher said:

My Dad was a wonderful man that grew up on an egg ranch.

Growing up on a farm meant you fixed just about everything you could and you almost never called someone to do work you or someone in the family could do.

That meant at a very early age I was out in the garage or driveway doing basic maintenance and repairs on our cars with my Dad.

After dropping out of college to get married, my Dad worked in various positions in parts depts for Chevy, Cadillac and Toyota.

He was a parts manager when he decided to finish college and become an elementary school teacher.

Once he started teaching, he had an amazing way of connecting with troubled kids and because of this, he was given as many 'bad' kids as he could handle.

Growing up I went with him to countless football, baseball and basketball games that his students were playing in.

Often times we were the only ones there to watch and support his student.

He was a tough but fair teacher and the kids loved the structure and the discipline, even if the parents did not.

His students liked him so much that many would often come back to visit him as they grew up, keeping him up to date on their progress through life.  They would even come back to introduce him to their new spouses when they got married.

He made a huge difference in their lives and they showed their appreciation by letting him know that they were still doing well after being in his class.

When Dad passed away, there were quite a few former students that attended his funeral and all of them took the time to let the family know how much Dad had changed their lives for the better.

So, I guess the part of my Dad that was completely amazing was the way he was able to help troubled kids and get them to straighten out their lives.

As a side note, since Dad was a parts guy long before computers, until the day he died he could tell you the part number for a Corvair oil pressure sending unit (he said they sold them like popcorn) and could recite part group numbers. He could also tell you which books to look in depending on which parts you wanted.

Dad was the person everyone went to for advice and clear thinking.  He even did a short stint as a therapist since his Masters was in psychology but he quickly went back to the classroom because he felt he made more of a difference there.

He's been gone for over 10 years now and I still miss him every day.

Dad and Pierce.jpg

Your Dad sounds like he was one Hell of a guy, as well as someone who left a most excellent legacy of helping so many get on their correct footing..I lost my Dad June 14th of this year, and miss him every day as well..Life is just not the same..

Edited by car crazy (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I flew down to Clearwater Florida today to spend the weekend with my dad. He is a shell of his former self. The decline is pretty rapid. He no longer remembers his wife or his grandchildren. He just remembers my sister and I and we are both active in his life. 

he is my hero. A man of great faith who never let us down. He was an incredible athlete (lettered eleven times in college, you do the math......3 seasons over 4 years).  He was a strong guy who never had to prove it. I never once heard him raise his voice in anger at another person and from about age 15-20 I gave him a million reasons to go off on me. 

he came from nothing, one of 8 kids and his dad worked on a tire assembly line. Sports was his ticket out and he understood that.   He taught me about money, hard work..... I learned the most from him by watching. 

I owe him everything. 

• Like 6

I guess I have to expand on my first post, looking where this is headed, which is a good thing.  

I have a teenage daughter and a teenage niece, I have told them both that when they’re looking for a man, if he’s not willing to jump into a frozen lake to save them, they need to look elsewhere.  

My mom and dad were in western Montana  driving home in a Volkswagen Beetle.  It was dark and the roads were slick.  They slid off the road, dropped down a steep embankment and into a partially frozen river.  They had been married less than a year.    

Dad made It out and on to the bank, completely soaking wet, but mom was still in the rapidly sinking Beetle.  The outside temperature was about 10* F.   He jumped back into the river and pulled her out. There was a summer camp with cabins about a 1/2 mile down the river from them.   Their clothes were frozen solid but they managed to get to cabin and break in the door.  

And they survived, a week in the hospital but no lost digits.  Dad even came back when they were out and found their car burrowed into the snow.  Hungry and missing both ears to frostbite, but alive.  

That was December 1968.   In December 2018 my dad celebrated his 82nd birthday.   Later that same month he had mom were walking on a frozen lake looking to see if it was suitable for skating.    

They were about 50 yards from shore when dad hears a crack.  He turns around and mom is nowhere to be seen.  We think is was a nitrogen bubble, decaying plants give off nitrogen that make weak spots in the ice.   We used to puncture them with a skate blade and light them on fire.  Pressurized nitrogen gas - Poof! 

So dad looks in the hole in the ice and she is face down under the ice and far enough in that he can’t reach her.  She was not moving, it appeared she hit her forehead on the way down and was knocked unconscious.   So once again, this time being 50 years older, he jumps in after her.   And once again he pulls her out.   They had left the truck running so it was warm but it was still a 20 minute drive home.   And they survived that one too.  

So, ladies, if he’s not willing to jump into a frozen lake to save you, move along.  

Edited by Angelfish (see edit history)
  • Like 12

On 12/3/2021 at 3:37 AM, alsancle said:

Great question.  I have lots of good memories of my old man.   He and I worked every night after dinner when I was in HS on my GTO together.  He gas welded the entire car back together again.   It looked great.   I often wonder if someone down the line ever stripped that car and lost their minds.

He is 96 with enough energy to give me a list of stupid things to do every day.

dad017A.jpg

A 26 Invader ? The Water Bomber company that is near me used several up until about 10 years ago.  Every now and then they would pass overhead on their way to Vancouver Island, great sight , amazing sound.

My Father loved to see them as well. If they flew over my place they usually passed over his place as well. His father was a Aircraft Mechanic and flying was part of our family for many years.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

A 26 Invader ? The Water Bomber company that is near me used several up until about 10 years ago.  Every now and then they would pass overhead on their way to Vancouver Island, great sight , amazing sound.

My Father loved to see them as well. If they flew over my place they usually passed over his place as well. His father was a Aircraft Mechanic and flying was part of our family for many years.

yes. A26. He was a radar mechanic. Fortunately for him he bombed out a flight school.

My Grandfather was too old for active service. Spent the war years keeping them up in the air here in Canada. Thousands of aircrew from all over the British Commonwealth  trained in Canada during the war. Two younger brothers saw action in Europe, both were lucky enough to make it back home although one was  wounded by a shell fragment.  After the war he remained a aircraft mechanic up to retirement. My father was an avid pilot when he was young . But eventually the cost became too much for a regular guy with 3 kids and he had to give it up.  My sisters and I bought him 1/2 an hour up in a T6 Texan  about 10 years ago, he loved every minute of it. We lost him a couple days after Christmas 3 years ago.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)