Thank a fellow member

Matt Harwood

After hearing of the passing of our mutual friend Carl Fielding, C_Carl, or Cadillac Carl, and all the kind things members have to say about him, I thought it would be especially important to have a thread where we can share our positive experiences with other members of this community so they can know our appreciation. This place is chock full of awesome people who go above and beyond to help their fellow enthusiasts. I'll start:

EdinMass, for obvious reasons. Thanks for keeping my projects moving forward when I was ready to throw in the towel.

alsancle, for picking me up and brushing me off more than a few times when old cars kicked my butt, and convincing me to get back in there and keep fighting.

Grimy, for offering technical tidbits that are especially useful and timely, and for introducing me to the awesomeness that is the Pierce-Arrow Society. I'll have one yet!

AB-Buff, for sharing a rather remarkable amount of knowledge about these Lincolns we own, up to and including rebuilding my distributor and filling it full of new parts, gratis. You define what makes this hobby awesome.

WaltG, for being the conscience and artistic patron saint of this entire community.

MCHinson for being a consistent, patient, and calm voice of reason during the frequent storms that are my personality.

NeilMorse, you're a friend I've never met with a willingness to tackle projects that intimidate me, thereby shining a light for others to follow. Thank you.

GregLaR, for that time you pissed me off royally by calling me out for being less than diplomatic. You forced me to be introspective and examine my beliefs and values, and thereby made me a better person. Gratitude.

Bloo, JVPuleo, maok, you guys always show up in the knick of time with just the right technical information to solve my problems. That fills me with more optimism than almost anything else.

Thanks to everyone who participates for making this place awesome.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 43
  • Thanks 2

Wow, great idea. I know I’ll mess this up and leave someone off so I’ll just keep editing it but to start EdinMass for all the help and taking time to show us around and explain the differences in cars we were looking at. Walt for sharing his knowledge and support. Matt for insight and support. Cadillac Carl, TerryB, John S in Penna, alsancle, trimacar, auburnseeker all for giving good advice even Peter G for keeping me in line and understanding my crazy attitude. I’m sure I am forgetting many so 
I’ll add to this as I gather thoughts. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Best post I have ever seen here..........I agree with Matt. We have a lot of what we would consider good friends here that we have never met in person. The post on my 1917 White has brought me into contact with no less than 15 people who I now regularly interact and call from time to time. We have also done tours together and attended shows. The benefits that we all receive from this site are priceless..........friendship is a rare thing today........and I apprichate everyone here who interacts with me and the fellow members.........Best, Ed

• Like 16

I believe we all have friends and acquaintances that we never would have met had it not been for this wonderful hobby of ours.  

Although there are tens of thousands of car collectors, it's actually a small world at times.  This past weekend I met someone at the Pierce Arrow meet who was talking about a late friend of his from New Orleans, John Walton, who once owned a '29 Cadillac like the one he owns.  Oh, I said, you mean Buddy Walton.  He said no, John.  Well, we all called him Buddy, and my '31 Pierce that sits right here, sat next to Buddy's Packard and Autocrat speedster for years in a storage warehouse in New Orleans.....

I'd like to thank everyone who offers good advice on this forum, and as Matt points out so well, even when someone criticizes you it has a value at times.  And, I'd like to thank everyone for putting up with me, I enjoy the Forum immensely and it gives me a chance to talk and talk and talk, a thing I've been told I'm good at, even though I may say nothing of consequence.

• Like 10

Since I'm fairly new still and don't know everyone all that well yet, I feel like I'm going to leave people out because I simply don't know yet all the good things they've done. 

With that said, I want to say something about WaltG. You all know already but his knowledge and kind nature deserve to be acknowledged. 

• Like 8

In retrospect, that was not my finest moment nor my best call.

I was a neophyte, who should have watched, listened and read much more before judging,  then realizing too late my error.

I am humbled to be named among this company by you Matt and if I am fortunate enough to count you among my friends, I'm a better man for it.

Greg

I am speechless - it is an honor to be mentioned. I just do what I do, don't really think about it , just feel it needs to be done/shared as many friends early on 45+ years ago did with me . It is totally useless to have period information and not share it but make sure people know you have it so you can gloat that you are better then everyone else. HUH?  History has always been a great passion for me, my whole life , what "happened then" can inspire "now" and the people and places that did that need to be respected and admired. It is my way to say "thank you" to them . So many people that are gone I can't thank in person, many who were there when the history we love was being created by them without them knowing it. So many new friends here and long time ones too.

Support your car clubs, they support you, especially AACA for hosting these forums.

• Like 21

I am relatively new to the forum and am WAY out of my league amongst most of you guys. A BIG thank you to trimacar, auburnseeker, The 55er, and keiser31 for so freely sharing their knowledge and expertise with me. They and others that I know I am forgetting have been extremely helpful to me on this forum and I appreciate it. How can one not think of edinmass which others have already mentioned. What can you say about a guy that doesn't know me from Adam but yet extends an invitation to stop by for visit and even drive the White when I make it Florida? That's amazing to me.

And Matt Harwood, who I read many of his posts where he freely offers advice to others and has a keen insight into the hobby and into the very psyche of the collector. he once offered advice to me that I totally took the wrong way and to which I gave a very snarky remark which I regret. Forgive me Matt.

Also to Paul Dobbin who also doesn't know me from Adam but has graciously invited me to his home.

-Thanks,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sebastienbuick and PeterR for the most recent help with my 2cv. With the world seemingly falling apart, it's comforting to sit down in the evening and share a bit here with others from around the world. I didn't know Cadillac Carl beyond reading his postings but was quite saddened to hear of his passing. It appears that one can sorely miss someone whose words were the only real connection.

• Like 2

I’ve been reading and learning from so many here is been like an extended family over the past 9 years since I joined this forum.  Each day I check to see who has posted, what’s going on with their projects or sometimes with their personal life.  The idea of community is truly well represented.  So many have reached out to me I can’t name them all without fear of leaving a name out.  We have exchanged ideas both in PMs and online posts to further keep me “in the game” in spite of not being able to be at shows and events firsthand anymore.  To all of  you I offer a huge THANK YOU for this.  And to Carl, our inspiration for this thread, thank you my dear friend, we had talked of meeting some time and enjoying a little wine and car talk.  My next drink will be in your honor Carl.

• Like 2

In my circle of local friends and acquaintances I often bring up subjects that are discussed here.

I refer to all of you as friends most of whom I have never met personally but consider friends.

Its a a daily ritual for me and I thank you all for being......

I don't comment on the losses very often, but of coarse pray for all.

• Like 2

I have learned so much from all of you folks. Since on this forum, I have learned about many makes I knew were out there, but was not really interested in. Now, I love them all. They, like the folks here, have different characteristics and personalities. I love it when a forum member needs to go up or down the west coast and can come and visit my honey and me. Thanks to all on here. John and Cherrie

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't dare name names because I'd forget someone. 

Y'all have heard me mention looking thru old threads and wondering what happened to some of the people who were prolific and knowledgeable but haven't posted in many years. Whether we realise it or not, everyone here has left an imprint on us in some way.

One of my favorite quotes is from Dirk Wittenborn's book "Fierce People". It has stuck with me since I first read it nearly twenty years ago.

"We are the sum of all people we have ever met. You change the tribe, and the tribe changes you."

If that doesn't sum up these Forums, well- I don't know what does.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I too have benefited from knowing many of you from afar. Of late, edinmass has resurrected my non-running Cadillac and Studelite helped me fine tune it. Matt Harwood, oft mentioned here already, has provided great advice from one "who has been there" with his inspiring Lincoln project.  Walt, as has been mentioned has started perhaps the finest internet thread I have ever met, and the contributions by Dave Galinas, edinmass and others have greatly enriched the thread.  Terry Bond inspired my most recent post and provides inspiration for collectors of stuff everywhere. I am missing a LOT of people here but do know we wouldn't have a forum without everyone chipping in. 

I would be remiss if I didn't mention our moderators.  They keep us on track and make sure we act like adults. Their job can be thankless yet I am glad they are there. 

I am saddened by the loss of Cadillac Carl. I was going to call him about some parts a couple months back but just didn't make the time. It's my loss that I missed the chance to get his insights about my project. And there is the lesson in this right? If we don't reach out to those people we value right now, when we have the chance, we may never get the opportunity again

I offer a heartfelt thanks to all I mentioned and to those I have neglected. People I am proud to call my friends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When we were touring in the US, Frank Duval took the time out to show us his collection, and Avantey welcomed us to his home for a weekend, and  a drive of one of his cars. Generosity to strangers. I'm very thankful to them, and all of the folk who have offered their wisdom as I learn about the pre-war stuff. And also to SebastionBuick for an invite to visit in France, which was knocked on the head by covid. It's world-wide hobby, with many fine people involved. Thanks, Guys.

• Like 4

When I purchased my DeSoto and was in way over my head the first two guys to offer parts and advice were ArticiferTom and Keiser3.   To Tom and John I owe a special thanks for their help and encouragement.  

Brian Boettger  went way out of his way to help and I am very grateful for his efforts. 

To all of you that have helped and make this site a success, Thank You. 

• Like 2

I have so many members to thank for helping me deal with my father’s estate. Some helped in person, some helped online and many messaged me directly with encouragement and supportive words.

I would not dare to start a list because I know I’d leave someone out by mistake, and I sincerely don’t want to risk that. I am certain that you know who you are and I’m very grateful to all of you. Thank you! 🤗

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

David Coco has helped me with advice when I sewed and installed a top for my 1915 McLaughlin last year.  Last week he took a phone call from my upholsterer concerning diamond tufting.  Thanks.

Doug Ives I met on these forums and visit with regularly at events.

Peter McIntyre repaired a crack in a windshield frame last week, gratis.

Larry Schramm has the same car as me and we talk often.

Thanks all, stay well, Gary

• Like 3

If I call out any specific members - even the one that works on my car for free - I will feel guilty for the guys I missed.   There are at least 40 guys on here that post interesting things every day and I appreciate that.  Everybody has a little bit different field of knowledge and collectively it is very powerful.

• Like 4

I keep looking back in here, wondering where I should begin? I think I should begin with Grimy. You see? I met 'Grimy' about thirty years ago in a Nickel Age Touring Club I joined at that time. So, not only do I know him, he knows me! And for some silly reason I haven't been able to figure out, he still seems to tolerate me okay in spite of the fact I sold my one and only Pierce Arrow a bit over 25 years ago (had to, wife and I bought a house!). 

Beyond that, I have traded PMs with a few people here. I consider many here to be good friends that I haven't yet met face-to-face. I hesitate to mention many names. I know I would inadvertently leave out a few important ones as my mind wandered from one thought to a dozen others. Over the years, I have had a few dealings with antique automobile sales or appraisal businesses. A very few of those, I liked. Most, dealers and appraisers I ran into, I wouldn't have trusted with a used bicycle. Here on this forum, I have gotten to know a few, well known dealers, that I have come to respect and even admire. I find that in itself quite refreshing. I won't mention the names, I think they know who they are. They give sound advice often and freely to many people with questions, or problems with their own cars. I read many of their postings, and find that I agree with most of what they say, and feel I could trust them if or when I was able to buy another car. It is a nice change in my feelings.

About a dozen people on this forum, I have known for several years on the MTFCA forum. 

Walt G and edinmass do seem to be near the top of the list for many people, and for wonderful reasons! The knowledge and information they share on this forum is priceless. And so do many others.

Trimacar and Auburnseeker have monikers that are easy to remember. Others, like SC38DLS I can never remember, but I recognize them immediately when I read their postings. That is one of the reasons I hesitate to mention many names. So many of them I would need to search in order to mention them! Yet, so many of them, I do recognize their avatars when they post. I immediately associate the posting to past posts and feel I am among friends.

So many good people here. Sharing their adventures, their hardships, their knowledge and experiences. 

This is a good place.

Thanks also again to the moderators.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

David......trimacar talks about people we have met here from times long past. At the show last week, I was asked to unload a car by a restorer I often work with. He’s won Pebble, Amelia, and all the other big shows with his restorations. I was asked to drive a LeBaron Pierce out of a tractor trailer and drive it on the field. It was a great car, restored years ago, and never driven on the street. It ran great, had no bad habits, and I parked it where I was directed to. Spent some time looking it over, and went on my way. Several hours later I met the owner, and realized it was the son of a good friend of mine. Then it struck me.........Back in the first week of September of 1971 my father and I want to purchase a Pierce Arrow so I wasn’t quite six years old. I remember the day clearly. Warm and sunny with a slight breeze. When we arrived at the sellers home in the woods, we went to the open air shed out back with about ten cars in it. All were either Pierce Arrow’s of 1930-1931 years, or Rolls Royce PII’s..........I know this now from conversations done years later. My father was there to buy a Pierce.........D/C Series 42...........along side a 1930 Series B Limo, and another Pierce........that to me was a junkyard pile of parts..........it was a 1931 LeBaron convertible sedan. It was falling in upon itself.......at the time I would not have realized it was a “project”..........to me it wasn’t even a car then. Long story short, a man from Texas flew in to buy the junk pile. My father bought the D/C and the Limo........the limo was a great preservation driver. Of course it was only purchased back then for parts......yup, a running and driving parts car that today would knock your socks off. Forty nine years and nine months later the car I took out of the trailer and drove on the field was the same car from all those years ago.......the “junk yard Pierce”......quite a treat. I spent some time with the son of the gentleman I had met all those years ago......and became friends with his father at Hershey in 1981 at the PAS tent. Talk about coming full circle............here is the car.

19E39549-151D-430D-B66F-359D50A109F7.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 10

4 minutes ago, edinmass said:

David......trimacar talks about people we have met here from times long past. At the show last week, I was asked to unload a car by a restorer I often work with. He’s won Pebble, Amelia, and all the other big shows with his restorations. I was asked to drive a LaBaron Pierce out of a tractor trailer and drive it on the field. It was a great car, restored years ago, and never driven on the street. It ran great, had no bad habits, and I parked it where I was directed to. Spent some time looking it over, and went on my way. Several hours later I met the owner, and realized it was the son of a good friend of mine. Then it struck me.........Back in the first week of September of 1971 my father and I want to purchase a Pierce Arrow so I wasn’t quite six years old. I remember the day clearly. Warm and sunny with a slight breeze. When we arrived at the sellers home in the woods, we went to the open air shed out back with about ten cars in it. All were either Pierce Arrow’s of 1930-1931 years, or Rolls Royce PII’s..........I know this now from conversations done years later. My father was there to buy a Pierce.........D/C Series 42...........along side a 1930 Series B Limo, and another Pierce........that to me was a junkyard pile of parts..........it was a 1931 LaBaron convertible sedan. It was falling in upon itself.......at the time I would not have realized it was a “project”..........to me it wasn’t even a car then. Long story short, a man from Texas flew in to buy the junk pile. My father bought the D/C and the Limo........the limo was a great preservation driver. Of course it was only purchased back then for parts......yup, a running and driving parts car that today would knock your socks off. Thirty nine years and nine months later the car I took out of the trailer and drove on the field was the same car from all those years ago.............quite a treat. I spent some time with the son of the gentleman I had met all those years ago......and became friends with his father at Hershey in 1981 at the PAS tent. Talk about coming full circle............here is the car.

19E39549-151D-430D-B66F-359D50A109F7.jpeg

I'll bet that gave you goosebumps!

50 minutes ago, car crazy said:

I'll bet that gave you goosebumps!

It was a great moment in my car collecting history...........and I still have Dad's D/C........the Series B was stripped for parts and sold in the mid 80's. I actually found it again, and sold every part my father pulled off of it back to the current car owner who then did a 100 point restoration on it. Part of the deal was I got to drive it when it was finished.......that never happened. To my knowledge, its never been driven after the restoration and is sitting since the early 90's. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

At the show last week, I was asked to unload a car by a restorer I often work with.  Then it struck me.........Back in the first week of September of 1971 my father and I want to purchase a Pierce Arrow so I wasn’t quite six years old. I remember the day clearly. Warm and sunny with a slight breeze. When we arrived at the sellers home in the woods, we went to the open air shed out back with about ten cars in it. All were either Pierce Arrow’s of 1930-1931 years, or Rolls Royce PII’s..........I know this now from conversations done years later. My father was there to buy a Pierce.........D/C Series 42...........along side a 1930 Series B Limo, and another Pierce........that to me was a junkyard pile of parts..........it was a 1931 LeBaron convertible sedan. It was falling in upon itself.......at the time I would not have realized it was a “project”..........to me it wasn’t even a car then. Long story short, a man from Texas flew in to buy the junk pile. My father bought the D/C and the Limo........the limo was a great preservation driver. Of course it was only purchased back then for parts......yup, a running and driving parts car that today would knock your socks off. Thirty nine years and nine months later the car I took out of the trailer and drove on the field was the same car from all those years ago.......the “junk yard Pierce”......quite a treat.

Can you please clarity the date; 1971 or 1981?  1981 is now 40 years ago, while 1971 is 50 years ago.  (Difficult to believe, but true!  In 1971, a former neighbor sold his fully restored 1935 Ford 5-window coupe for 5K to buy a house!)

Craig

MY FAULT......49 YEARS! I'm getting old..........senior moment...I will fix it. 🥴

For the record.....this is the first time in my life I looked back for 50 years.

I don't feel old, but this confirms it. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Back in the first week of September of 1971 my father and I want to purchase a Pierce Arrow so I wasn’t quite six years old."..." and another Pierce........that to me was a junkyard pile of parts..........it was a 1931 LeBaron convertible sedan."

Well, Ed, since you weren't quite six years old, you can be forgiven for not recognizing that pile of parts as a 1931 Series 41 LeBaron Salon convertible sedan...though, if you were seven...

All facetiousness aside, my profound thank you to all the regular and periodic participants, more than I can name without being remiss, who contribute their knowledge, perspectives, experiences and photographic images for our enlightenment and enjoyment.  Your efforts are more appreciated than you'll ever know.  This forum is a daily civil refuge and respite from the what can be a cruel and uncivil world.

Steve

• Like 3

5 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

I would not dare to start a list because I know I’d leave someone out by mistake, and I sincerely don’t want to risk that. I am certain that you know who you are and I’m very grateful to all of you.

@victorialynn2 says it better then I could. My thoughts exactly.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I won't name any names either, but thank you to all the people that have helped me with troubleshooting my engine and various other things. Also thanks to everyone for making and contributing to all the fascinating threads on this site which have provided myself and others with much new knowledge and entertainment. Many of you are walking car encyclopedias!

• Like 1

A lot of collective knowledge on here about cars in all forms. And a priceless wealth of knowledge from the backgrounds of the owners of these cars. I have made a lot of comments way off topic of cars. And I thank the moderators for not pulling them down. Love seeing pictures of members cars. Some of those cars are never seen in places like Idaho. Exposure to cars like that, is what will increase interest and membership.

Edited by Xander Wildeisen (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

I would not dare to start a list because I know I’d leave someone out by mistake, and I sincerely don’t want to risk that. I am certain that you know who you are and I’m very grateful to all of you. Thank you! 🤗

I agree totally! Well said Victoria,

I am on my way out the door to Saratoga to see some friends I have not seen since the Meet in Miami. no car just hanging out and going to judge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't remember how I even stumbled upon this Forum.  I know it was not long after getting my Mercury project.  What I do know is that everyone here has been great.   The knowledge of everyone here on all of the different makes and models of cars is outstanding.  It's great how you all help everyone out on problems and questions with our cars.  I enjoy reading the posts on different subjects and seeing what everyone is working on and driving around.  I've also been learning a lot about the older cars and how they were made.  I just want to thank all the members on this Forum.  

• Like 3

I agree with Victoria Lynn about being reluctant to make a list because I will likely leave some very deserving people off of it unintentionally. With my poor memory, that's almost a certainty. Everyone I've ever given a "like," a "thanks" or a "laugh" to deserves to be on the list, and that's just too many people to name.  Nevertheless, I feel there are three people I should mention because it's my impression they've meant a lot to so many people, each in their own way:

- Roger Zimmermann. One of the most gifted craftsman in the world of old cars, I'm guessing. Maybe even in the world, period. He's so humble about his very unique and specific gifts, and very inspiring to others.

- Walt G. A world renowned old car expert who is nothing but kind and encouraging to those of us who will never own show cars, but struggle at the edge of our abilities to just keep our old drivers running.

- Peter Gariepy. Peter and all the moderators make this community of people happen. He may not agree with me on everything, but he never lets that stand in the way of being professional and sharing his gifts.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1