So I found a TC, what it worth to yah?

JeffreyJ

I found this car for sale.  The person says it’s. A turbo.  (I’m not sure what one). It’s a 89.  Person says it runs rough.  That’s all I know.  This car is offered for 800.  So I’m considering picking it up.  Do you think it would be worth the trouble.

F0A76842-BD62-4B3E-A3C3-50B54CE29C43.jpeg

2C4A7B89-5FAD-4F4F-8348-725A3CAAB6BD.jpeg

D6ADA155-7088-4566-B984-16F47F3FF27A.jpeg

2379754D-BF42-444A-AFA3-3CBEAF25F710.jpeg

BBB9C2C5-586A-4FB0-AFF5-0783D2473FAA.jpeg

Looks like it’s been maintained and well kept all its life.  It even comes with receipts to back up that claim which were meticulously stored all about the interior of the car, and a few fast food wrappers to indicate the previous owner used it for round town shopping.

At $800 bucks, not much to loose.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Walt G said:

WOW my generation gap is showing, I saw the title listed and when I clicked on this expected to see an MG , TC not a  Chrysler Town and Country. Anyone else have that reaction as well?

Even worse miss Walt, this is a Chrysler Maserati joint effort from the mid to late 1980s. I don’t think TC means town and country, more of just two letters that sound good together ( the fans of this car are preparing the pitchforks as I speak). Reviews of the car were not too kind.  It’s a mix of parts from Europe and US.  For $800 bucks it would even make good yard art.

2 minutes ago, Walt G said:

WOW my generation gap is showing, I saw the title listed and when I clicked on this expected to see an MG , TC not a  Chrysler Town and Country. Anyone else have that reaction as well?

Nope, my first thought was MGTC as well... but I agree you cannot go wrong with the TC you are showing. Heck, at $800 I think you have some wiggle room for repairs and then you have a decent looking car IMO

42 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Me Too! I really regret selling the MG-TC I had, a good solid project. I got it in exchange for remodeling two bedrooms. One of many cars that went into the never ending kids college funding. Bob 

MGTC ? how old are you guys, I immediately thought Rover 2000TC.  { just pulling your leg about age} . Actually these were quite decent sellers for Rover however they were { like the Chrysler TC} complex, difficult to keep running and in North America fast depreciators.  Rarely seen today however a small cult following especially the v8 Rover 3500 version.

Greg in Canada,... An MGTF in my past but no TC

I too, was thinking MGTC, on my personal want list.  In a nano second many things began racing through my mind, stage a completeness. Condition, colors, price, location?  Then I open the post, and once again taste how Geraldo felt opening Al Capone's safe on national tv to find it empty...😉

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Touring Corsa.

The weak part is the early antilock brakes.

There should be a hard top with it.

These sold in the 30K range new.

Very comfortable, I had three of them, Hemmings once predicted these as the next big thing but that never happened.

The most desirable model is the twin cam with the 5 speed. Now that was one fun car !!

Avoid the V6 models. But those did not have the turbo.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Walt G said:

Yup !   But then, owning a right hand drive car can do that to ya. 😁

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

17 hours ago, Walt G said:

That's neither an MG nor a Town and Country.  The TC was supposed to stand for Twin Cam, as these cars were originally intended to have a unique DOHC cylinder head.  Of course, reality set in and many of the cars came with regular Chrysler inline fours and V6s.

engine-bay.jpg

The '89 TC is a fun and extremely comfortable car.  I have owned two of them.  As mentioned above, the Achilles  Heel of the TC is the Teves anti-lock brake system.  It is different from conventional brakes,  so you will have to find someone who knows how to work on them.  Teves brakes were used on Jaguars and Buick Reattas so they are not as rare as it may seem.

There is a very active TC owner's forum on this site.  Scroll down to the Chrysler section.  

Good luck!

Well, thanks guys I feel better so many of you looked at the title the same way I did.

1912 Staver - how old? , pretty old! sort of , I think ,  Careful how you pull my leg - especially the left one; once the weather is dry, that has to be in good shape to use the clutch to drive my pre WWII cars.

For a Town and Country Chrysler I would list it as T & C

I think we should  start a OFC comment section here on the forum ( Old Fogey Club) the word Fogey meaning Forgotten Old Guys Enjoying Yacking. 😏

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Roger Frazee said:

Heel of the TC is the Teves anti-lock brake system.  It is different from conventional brakes,  so you will have to find someone who knows how to work on them.  Teves brakes were used on Jaguars and Buick Reattas so they are not as rare as it may seem. 

The Teves anti-lock brake system can be difficult to repair if you're not familiar with how it works. Once you understand the system it's not too bad.
Here is some good information for anyone needing to work on the Teves ABS.

• Like 1

Seems this thread has ventured off course as so many do. As to your Chrysler TC find, for that price I would take a chance on it. Although they are not a high dollar car, when one shows up it usually creates a lot of looks and conversations, I almost bought a black/ginger one a few years ago. The interior is very nice and when running well they are fun cars. Be sure to see if the removable hardtop comes with it. And as mentioned check with the TC forum here to talk to some of the folks that really know these cars. It is well worth the price just in the hard to find parts if you decide to not want it.

• Thanks 1

I too thought TC was for an MG-TC. If I saw T&C I would have thought Town & Country as I the Chrysler with the wood sides. Anyway, when I saw fogies and the acronym broken out it reminded me of a place where I go for breakfast on Wednesday mornings. The ROMEO's are there every Wednesday - Retired Old Men Eating Out.

• Like 1

My first thought was MG TC ha ha. But I like the LeBaron convertibles though I never had one. Do you think you could fix the engine if it is something minor? If you have to take it to a garage it could get expensive.

I would make an offer, try to to buy it for $500 or so and gamble that I could get it running nice. There are a couple of tests you can do to see how bad the engine is, one is to take off the oil cap with the engine running and check for blowby. Another is to hold a piece of paper up to the tailpipe, if it gets sucked against the tailpipe it is a sign of a burn exhaust valve. Another is, does it turn over evenly on the starter? If it kind of skips one cylinder it could mean that cylinder has no compression.

You can't expect too much for that little money. I would buy it if I could put a few hundred more into it and have a fun summer car. You aren't going to buy a 67 Camaro convertible for that kind of dough.

Looks like it would clean up well and be a fun car.  If no rust or major body issues, I think it would be a nice buy.

8 hours ago, JACK M said:

There may be some similarities to a LaBaron platform, but its not the same. The TC Maserati is shorter I think.

None of my TC Maserati's had any LaBaron badging.

The TC is a different chassis and body than any other Chrysler product.  None of the body panels will interchange with the LeBaron.  Some, but not all,  mechanical parts come from the K-Car parts bin.

15 minutes ago, padgett said:

"The fact they’re saying it shares the braking system of a Jaguar scares the life out of me." well it also shares it with a few Buicks, Pontiacs, and Cadillacs...and a Ford. 

Yep. The same brake system was used on several cars in it's day. Most were top of the line cars. 

1985 to 1989 Lincoln Continental
spaclear-fit-1x1.gif1985 to 1992 Lincoln Mark VII
spaclear-fit-1x1.gif1987 to 1992 Ford Thunderbird
spaclear-fit-1x1.gif1987 to 1992 Mercury Cougar
spaclear-fit-1x1.gif1987 to 1993 Saab 9000
spaclear-fit-1x1.gif1988 to 1989 Merkur Scorpio
spaclear-fit-1x1.gif1988 to 1991 Peugeot 505
spaclear-fit-1x1.gif1991 to 1993 Saab 900
spaclear-fit-1x1.gif1991 to 1993 Volkswagen Passat

22 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

What is unique about the braking system?

It is one of the first ABS systems and it is controlled by computer technology from the late 1980's.  Add in hard to find parts like accumulators and wear items like wheel sensors make servicing/repair problematic.  Not impossible, just problematic.

I realize its all all what you like, but I still think it’s an under appreciated vehicle that can only go up in value...

To put it into a sharp perspective, I ordered a full wiring kit for my “new” Pierce Arrow which is around $100.00 more than the OP’s car... Just saying.

26 minutes ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

I realize its all all what you like, but I still think it’s an under appreciated vehicle that can only go up in value...

To put it into a sharp perspective, I ordered a full wiring kit for my “new” Pierce Arrow which is around $100.00 more than the OP’s car... Just saying.

The crystal ball view is always tough to call.  I wonder too what will be overlooked or put down and then rise to desirability.  A little too new yet but the two seater Saturn / Pontiacs seem to stand out as a future collector car.

I like the idea of finding undervalued collectibles (cars or anything else) instead of established icons. Two seaters will always have an automatic appeal because of their mostly "for fun" market niche. I think the Fiero, Allante and Reatta are all cool undervalued two seaters, as well. All of them tried to channel the spirit of the first T birds during that time, as did the last T birds several years later.

Recommend you put your money in a real TC.  Here is Susan's 1948 parked next to its cousin, our 1935 Morris 8.

TC and Morris 8 Resized.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 8:46 PM, 1912Staver said:

MGTC ? how old are you guys, I immediately thought Rover 2000TC.  { just pulling your leg about age} . Actually these were quite decent sellers for Rover however they were { like the Chrysler TC} complex, difficult to keep running and in North America fast depreciators.  Rarely seen today however a small cult following especially the v8 Rover 3500 version.

Greg in Canada,... An MGTF in my past but no TC

Age is not a number ;)

First engine I helped rebuild was an MG-TC. Had to carry the engine to the basement for rebuilding. Difficult to hold the engine, so pulled engine and transmission together!

Jon.

I definitely was a big fan of TC's up until I drove one.  By then I had a few years of MGA ownership and I am afraid the TC was definitely a disappointment. It was the later 1970's and I was young so I used my sports cars to the limit of their performance. And well beyond on the Autocross track. A couple of friends and I campaigned a much modified Bug Eye for a few season's, "spin or win " was our motto. We did lots of both. Tires were not very grippy in those days. 

TC's looked great and were no doubt great cars in the context of the late 1930's . I consider the TC to be really just a slightly improved version of the TA. At least as far a general character is concerned. However by the late 1970's they were definitely archaic.

My MGA could hold its own as a daily use sports car. And even more so once I installed a MGB 1800 , slightly wider Triumph wheels and 185 Michelin XWX's. I lived in the burbs and commuted in to town to my job as a British car mechanic so lots of quasi legal speed highway driving.  

The TC is a gem but just so limited for regular use. My TF had been swapped to MGB  {engine , gearbox, rear end } power long before it came into my ownership so it was also quite usable.  A TVR and a Lotus Europa came next so you can see where my priorities were in those days.

Greg in Canada   ,,   still an MGA owner all these years later, TF long gone to fund going back to school

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)