JeffreyJ

So I found a TC, what it worth to yah?

I found this car for sale.  The person says it’s. A turbo.  (I’m not sure what one). It’s a 89.  Person says it runs rough.  That’s all I know.  This car is offered for 800.  So I’m considering picking it up.  Do you think it would be worth the trouble.

F0A76842-BD62-4B3E-A3C3-50B54CE29C43.jpeg

2C4A7B89-5FAD-4F4F-8348-725A3CAAB6BD.jpeg

D6ADA155-7088-4566-B984-16F47F3FF27A.jpeg

2379754D-BF42-444A-AFA3-3CBEAF25F710.jpeg

BBB9C2C5-586A-4FB0-AFF5-0783D2473FAA.jpeg

Looks like it’s been maintained and well kept all its life.  It even comes with receipts to back up that claim which were meticulously stored all about the interior of the car, and a few fast food wrappers to indicate the previous owner used it for round town shopping.

At $800 bucks, not much to loose.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

WOW my generation gap is showing, I saw the title listed and when I clicked on this expected to see an MG , TC not a  Chrysler Town and Country. Anyone else have that reaction as well?

• Like 18

3 minutes ago, Walt G said:

WOW my generation gap is showing, I saw the title listed and when I clicked on this expected to see an MG , TC not a  Chrysler Town and Country. Anyone else have that reaction as well?

Even worse miss Walt, this is a Chrysler Maserati joint effort from the mid to late 1980s. I don’t think TC means town and country, more of just two letters that sound good together ( the fans of this car are preparing the pitchforks as I speak). Reviews of the car were not too kind.  It’s a mix of parts from Europe and US.  For $800 bucks it would even make good yard art.

2 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Nope, my first thought was MGTC as well... but I agree you cannot go wrong with the TC you are showing. Heck, at $800 I think you have some wiggle room for repairs and then you have a decent looking car IMO

42 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Me Too! I really regret selling the MG-TC I had, a good solid project. I got it in exchange for remodeling two bedrooms. One of many cars that went into the never ending kids college funding. Bob 

Oh, while we're talking about non MG-TC's my Son in Law got a great deal on a 1986 Lincoln Town Car. Two hundred bucks and the cost of plates and he has a great Winter car, that you can drive into the ground and not feel bad about it. Bob 

MGTC ? how old are you guys, I immediately thought Rover 2000TC.  { just pulling your leg about age} . Actually these were quite decent sellers for Rover however they were { like the Chrysler TC} complex, difficult to keep running and in North America fast depreciators.  Rarely seen today however a small cult following especially the v8 Rover 3500 version.

Greg in Canada,... An MGTF in my past but no TC

Does it have a floor? And the lock panels under the hood? Places to put a jack to change a tire? i.e. how much rust underneath?

I too, was thinking MGTC, on my personal want list.  In a nano second many things began racing through my mind, stage a completeness. Condition, colors, price, location?  Then I open the post, and once again taste how Geraldo felt opening Al Capone's safe on national tv to find it empty...😉

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

It's a convertable!   New top is only about $2000 or use it as is and let your hair blow in the wind.   Go for it.  Not a especially collectable car, but could be fun.

Touring Corsa.

The weak part is the early antilock brakes.

There should be a hard top with it.

These sold in the 30K range new.

Very comfortable, I had three of them, Hemmings once predicted these as the next big thing but that never happened.

The most desirable model is the twin cam with the 5 speed. Now that was one fun car !!

Avoid the V6 models. But those did not have the turbo.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dave Fields said:

Most people would think 1940's- early 50' Chrysler woody.

Yup.  I was thinking this:

14735955-1949-chrysler-town-country-thum

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Walt G said:

Yup !   But then, owning a right hand drive car can do that to ya. 😁

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

17 hours ago, Walt G said:

That's neither an MG nor a Town and Country.  The TC was supposed to stand for Twin Cam, as these cars were originally intended to have a unique DOHC cylinder head.  Of course, reality set in and many of the cars came with regular Chrysler inline fours and V6s.

engine-bay.jpg

Buy it only if you want to fix/buy a new engine.  Problem is that are not worth much when running good, and cost just as much to fix as a car worth much more when running good.

The '89 TC is a fun and extremely comfortable car.  I have owned two of them.  As mentioned above, the Achilles  Heel of the TC is the Teves anti-lock brake system.  It is different from conventional brakes,  so you will have to find someone who knows how to work on them.  Teves brakes were used on Jaguars and Buick Reattas so they are not as rare as it may seem.

There is a very active TC owner's forum on this site.  Scroll down to the Chrysler section.  

Good luck!

Well, thanks guys I feel better so many of you looked at the title the same way I did.

1912 Staver - how old? , pretty old! sort of , I think ,  Careful how you pull my leg - especially the left one; once the weather is dry, that has to be in good shape to use the clutch to drive my pre WWII cars.

For a Town and Country Chrysler I would list it as T & C

I think we should  start a OFC comment section here on the forum ( Old Fogey Club) the word Fogey meaning Forgotten Old Guys Enjoying Yacking. 😏

• Thanks 1

Dunno first thing I thought was pseudo Maser. Thought most had four lug wheels. The Teves in my Reattae are quite reliable particularly now that accumulators are available.

5 hours ago, Roger Frazee said:

Heel of the TC is the Teves anti-lock brake system.  It is different from conventional brakes,  so you will have to find someone who knows how to work on them.  Teves brakes were used on Jaguars and Buick Reattas so they are not as rare as it may seem. 

The Teves anti-lock brake system can be difficult to repair if you're not familiar with how it works. Once you understand the system it's not too bad.
Here is some good information for anyone needing to work on the Teves ABS.

• Like 1