What do car collectors collect besides cars ?.

nick8086

I collect several things besides old cars. I have a small collection of parts manuals and catalogue's, Pre decimal Australian coins and bank notes. Old 1940's Perth Metro Street Directories up to about 1980.and various items of Garagenalia  Also have a Western Australian Registration papers for a 1936 Chevrolet Sedan issued in 1958   

18th and early 19th century New England flintlock rifles, militia muskets and officers' swords (mostly English) from the same period. 18th and early 19th-century military history, 19th-century books on machine tools and engineering, early automobile books and anything on the Imperial Russian Army and Navy.

I forget is it two or three of the same item that are the base of  a collection? If so the spark plugs and St Christopher medals with cars on them, oil cans, odd tools, and anything I just like the looks of. File cabinets of pre 1950 racing and speed equipment are also part of my collection. Bob

Correct Bob, three of anything is a collection.  Two is just a pair. 

I collect collections - Spark Plugs, Brass lamps and accessories, early accessory catalogs, sheet music, ceramics, signs, early automobilia of all kinds, prints, posters, photos, pins, buttons, fobs, badges, and of course display cases to put it all into.  Oh, that's another of my "Rules of collecting"  You have to display your stuff, otherwise your are just a hoarder.  I've tried to recreate a circa 1915-20is auto parts store in my barn.  It makes a neat place to display things.

Terry

IMG_0663.JPG

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Correct Bob, three of anything is a collection.  Two is just a pair. 

I collect collections - Spark Plugs, Brass lamps and accessories, early accessory catalogs, sheet music, ceramics, signs, early automobilia of all kinds, prints, posters, photos, pins, buttons, fobs, badges, and of course display cases to put it all into.  Oh, that's another of my "Rules of collecting"  You have to display your stuff, otherwise your are just a hoarder.  I've tried to recreate a circa 1915-20is auto parts store in my barn.  It makes a neat place to display things.

Terry

IMG_0663.JPG

All you are missing is a potbellied stove with a rail to put your feet up on. Very nice.

• Like 4

License plates.

I have a hundred or so, probably not that valuable.

But since being associated with a dealer of collectable cars lately I have several "special interest" and 'Vintage" type plates. They are my favorites.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, capngrog said:

Keiser31,

That's obviously not a Bat"man" T-shirt, but I like it.  Do you have a name for it?  It looks like you collect  a lot of different types of stuff.

Great collection.

Cheers,

Grog

Yes, I collect a LOT of different things. I call it my "collection of collections". I wish I had enough wall space to actually display it all so that it could be viewed. I only have two 1931 Dodges, so I guess those are a "pair".

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

Can't. I only have nine. I don't know how anyone can have a shop or make stuff without a good anvil...................Bob

I only have one that broke my scales so not sure of the weight. It just collects dust as I hammer on a 6'X6'1" welding table and saves the old guy from bending over. So I guess mine is not a collection either but I could include it in my collection of tools I do not use.

Lots of cool junk. My latest purchase, after first seeing it thirty years ago, the lap robe FDR used to cover his legs and hide his braces on state events. Used in both Packards and Pierce Arrows, it is quite a interesting item. The photo was from a film clip on the Antiques Roadshow.

image.png

• Like 4

We had a huge "collection" of several things before we decided to move to Hawaii. We had built a fairly large home with multiple outbuildings in Alabama on several acres of land, as we thought we would live there the rest of our lives. Thankfully, most things were good enough to be sold to help pay for the move.  I  kept some of the more precious model cars and planes, books and magazines, two older motorcycles, one of the old cars, important family ancestor stuff, and only hand tools. Of course, if any of you are around my age and mindset, you know what that means..... a chance to get more stuff, ha !   We love nearly everything we have and have had, but we are actually trying hard to control our "needs" since the house here is small, and things collectible on the mainland are not so desirable over here if you have to have aDSCN6608.JPG "sell" time.  Here is most of the few models and toys we kept.  Oh, couldn't bear to sell too many of our 33 1/3rd record albums either, so have way too many of them (and two record players, ha !).

• Like 1

I collect anything for the 1990 454SS pickup - unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) there isn't much out there for the 1990 model.

I've got a Pitbull - so anything with a Pittie on it is for me :)

I used to collect Eeyore stuff, but am slowly selling those items off.

I also love butterflies and won't turn down anything with a butterfly on it.

I have a coin collection - although they are just in a box and I don't buy coins (usually). i get them from work or the store so it's rare I get a valuable one, but i do get some interesting ones sometimes.

I could go on and on lol

My husband has a great model car collection.  He's also starting to build his hand tool collection now that we have some room.

We also have an extensive Christmas light display, so I try and pick things up at yard sales, etc.  (if anyone going to Hershey has some deer they don't want anymore, feel free to bring them to add to our display ;) 

• Like 1

I stopped collecting everything as it all takes up too much room and seems like the things I collected never had any value. used to collect old radios, but now have the two left that mean something to me. I am a fisherman, collected many rods and reels. got rid of most of them, but somehow the 5 or 6 I had left are now over a dozen again. I had a lot of old cameras but most got sold at a garage sale. now I still have one of this or one of that, but I avoid collecting. I see many estate auctions that sell someones lifelong collections and it seems to me they should have sold most of their stuff themselves and after they had enjoyed their collection they could now enjoy the money in any way they choose.problem is, they might just start collecting again.  collectively yours,   skyler

I was born loving OLD stuff.

When I was a broke student attending tech school in Milwaukee, WI, my like minded roommate and I scoured every antique shop we could find.

At that time mantel clocks were my thing and still have about a dozen of them.

Kerosene lamps and lanterns were another passion and I have a number of those as well.

Then I got started in old tractors and parlayed those into OLD old tractors which were my mainstay for the better part of thirty years until rebuilding OLD tractors became a niche part of my business which proceeded to ruin my hobby.

When the economy tanked in 2007-2008 I sold my high dollar tractors while there still people left who could afford them rather than play the wait-and-see game.

I did the right thing and proceeded to sell all except the two I still use for mowing and plowing snow.

Then I got into cars, my first being a 1920 Model T Coupe as I'd fallen in love with a 1911 T that was on display at the local Ford garage when I was a young teenager.

It took me only about 44 years to finally scratch that itch which led to three more T's, two of which I still have and WILL have in addition to my '24 Dodge Model B Sedan, a '59 Chevy (like my very first car...... :P ) and a '65 Mustang which may have to hit the road because of its proximity to the ground....... :wacko:

That's the end of my collecting.

When I told my wife I'm going to sell the Mustang she said ":What did you find NOW?"........ LOL

I told her the same thing mentioned above.

The fact is there really isn't anything more I do want.

I've been fortunate to have worked on so many rare tractors and things over the years I guess I got spoiled.

I'd rather go to a few shows and enjoy the work of other people at this stage of the game.

My cars get driven.

There are times I don't start my pickup for weeks when the weather is favorable....... :D 

I'm surprised that someone hasn't said this before, since it relates to the human condition: "I collect ... dust".

Other than the old cars that tend to follow me home, I collect art (not the expensive stuff, but things I pick up at yard/estate sales), aircraft models (both R.C. and static display), and what is known as "trench art" (art created from items of war such as shell casings, hand grenades etc.).  Oh yeah, I have a model car collection, radio-controlled boats and then there's the ...

If I think it's cool or unusual, I usually fork over perfectly good dollars for items of dubious value.  But then, that's just me.:D

Collecting is good,

Grog

8 hours ago, Buick64C said:

Motoring related books. I stopped counting them once I got north of 1,000 titles. The "gateway drug" was getting a set of Crestline books

image.jpeg

You're missing the 'gray bible'; the first edition by Fred Crimson on International Harvester trucks.  The latest 1907-2007 updated 100th Anniversary Edition is even better, but it is no longer published by Crestline like the first edition was.

Craig

I also seem to collect 1932-33 Packard headlight buckets. I have about 20 of them and I don't think I ever actually bought one. Most are left over from projects or were given to me. No way I could ever sell all of them  but how can I in good conscience throw them away? After all they are PACKARD parts.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

You're missing the 'gray bible'; the first edition by Fred Crimson on International Harvester trucks.  The latest 1907-2007 updated 100th Anniversary Edition is even better, but it is no longer published by Crestline like the first edition was.

Craig

I'm not much of a truck guy, so I skipped that one along with the Ford, Dodge and fire truck books. Thanks for lettting me know its worth a look.