nick8086

What do car collectors collect besides cars ?.

Guess you could consider my web site another nother hobby...

5 hours ago, padgett said:

Guess you could consider my web site another nother hobby...

Mr P

interesting............... but correct me if I wrong with this observation,  collecting things is a hobby, but not every hobby involves collecting things, as the OP asked " What do car collectors collect besides cars?"  It is like a guy who goes fishing and another guy who collects antique lures, while both are a hobby, only one would be considered collecting? 

I don't know what you collect on your website

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

Car related ... I'm starting to look for signs and advertising to decorate my shop space.

Non car related ... How about antique fountain pens. This is a collection of Waterman hard rubber ripple pens called the #7 series. Each nib was for a different writing style. The gimmick was 7 points ... $7. Over the years there were actually 9 colors offered. I have 8 of the 9. These are from the 20s. And yes I do write with some of them. 

Waterman 7 Tray.jpg

• Like 2

There are some formidable collections out there.  If you are lucky enough to be such a collector you might think twice about broadcasting and picturing the goodies you have on this or any other publicly accessible forum, unless you have security aspects covered, what with some items such as porcelain signs valued in 4 figures (maybe more), and other "liftable" rare items that have high values that could be stolen.    The wrong person might be looking.

22 hours ago, Dave Henderson said:

There are some formidable collections out there.  If you are lucky enough to be such a collector you might think twice about broadcasting and picturing the goodies you have on this or any other publicly accessible forum, unless you have security aspects covered, what with some items such as porcelain signs valued in 4 figures (maybe more), and other "liftable" rare items that have high values that could be stolen.    The wrong person might be looking.

Just buy content insurance.. It it walks ... Cash in and take the wife out for a nice dinner..  

I sold a car part for a restaurant gift card.. I did this so I did not have any cash to buy more car parts..

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nick8086 said:

I sold a car part for a restaurant gift card.. I did this so I did not have any cash to buy more car parts..

:D

• Like 1

While I love swap meets, am always looking for obscure parts so never find much.

7 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

I agree with Nick. It you can afford the collection you can afford the insurance. 

image.jpg

Dad only had insurance on the stuff for what he paid for it...

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

If you do not buy commercial insurance to cover your "stuff", then you are "self insured"

Either way, you are insured.

Is that a collection of Galle glass?:)

I have my "other junk" insured with same company that writes the old cars' insurance policy. I probably need to update it a little since I've acquired some more "other junk"...

I started collecting National Geographic Magazines in 1972 when I got a subscription. I have all of them back to 1915 and stopped there years ago. Only met one other fellow that also collects them all these years so I may have the market cornered. But they do have great adds in them but some that would not be appropriate in to-days world. A few from 1915 and 18.

2016-09-20 geograpic 001.JPG

2016-09-20 geograpic 009.JPG

2016-09-20 geograpic 005.JPG

2016-09-20 geograpic 010.JPG

2016-09-20 geograpic 008.JPG

2016-09-20 geograpic 014.JPG

2016-09-20 geograpic 020.JPG

2016-09-20 geograpic 003.JPG

16 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

I agree with Nick. It you can afford the collection you can afford the insurance. 

image.jpg

You would think so but every time  I try to get my hundreds of oriental items covered for the thousands of dollars they are worth I get insane insurance quotes and also demands that I get collection appraised. I have never found an appraiser who will give a blanket appraisal but instead wants to charge $20-$25 per item and with hundreds of small items this gets expensive real quick!

Howard Dennis

Glenn, the photo is of Daum Winter Scenes.  The Galle is in a different cabinet.  With many insurance plans you can buy a rider for a specified amount without appraisals.  If you have a claim you will have to document the value of the loss.  If you don,t have good records you may be in trouble.  I agree with Larry and all of us "self insure" to some extent.  If a loss is not going to effect my quality of life I don,t worry about it.

I guess I am more in the Dave Henderson camp with this, as collectors, we all like to share but all I could think of is this bit below - lots of people admire nice things..  :D

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I think one solution to security is to have a high quality system.  If you come on my property your image is going to be in the "cloud".

It won't help to disable my electric service as I have 24 hours of battery back-up coupled with cellular alerts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I guess I am more in the Dave Henderson camp with this, as collectors, we all like to share but all I could think of is this bit below - lots of people admire nice things..  :D

This commercial reminds me of every time I've ever tried to get help from an insurance company or a warranty! 

Howard Dennis

I don't have a picture but I have a box full of key chains, fobs and the likes.

I would guess at least a hundred or so.

They are give aways mostly and just ended up in a box in a junk drawer.

A collection that I had forgotten about until I get back from some show where the vendors are giving stuff away.

I seem to have a lot of ball point pens as well, lots of advertising.

Now that I think about it I also have a huge pile of sample packets of window cleaners, waxes, and car washes and the likes.

And a big pile of those cloth like bags with the printing on them for packing the junk home in.

• Like 1

On 19/09/2016 at 9:59 PM, Stan Kulikowski said:

Car related ... I'm starting to look for signs and advertising to decorate my shop space.

Non car related ... How about antique fountain pens. This is a collection of Waterman hard rubber ripple pens called the #7 series. Each nib was for a different writing style. The gimmick was 7 points ... $7. Over the years there were actually 9 colors offered. I have 8 of the 9. These are from the 20s. And yes I do write with some of them. 

Waterman 7 Tray.jpg

Super Kewl Love the Designs

• Like 1