What do car collectors collect besides cars ?.

nick8086

Lessee, car parts (a couple of engines even), Service  and Parts manuals (for the cars and from suppliers of parts) about 75 feet worth.  Tools back to the '40s. Meters and devices including a couple of ignition O'scopes (Heath and Sun), Sun distributer tester, Signal generators and many power supplies. Computers (10ish PCs within arm's reach) back to a trash 80. Prince Onboard Computer.  Zenith Shortwave Radios . Hickok tube testers, Books, car movies back to the 20's on VHS and DVD.

When you live in the same house for 30+ years and have 2000 sq ft of garage space, things tend to accumulate.

I have 20 or so clocks. 3 antique keywinds that currently keep time to within a minute a week, 4 working 400-day German-manufacture anniversary clocks (that are coming up for their annual winding on my birthday), and a bunch of "interesting" high-quality quartz units- some carriage clock styles, one late-60s Hermle electric movement (that was a bear to find setting instructions for, even Hermle USA didn't have them) and several in Waterford and Mikasa crystal cases. I also own a 1950 Atmos which needs help but hard to find anyone who can service one of those properly, and not too keen on shipping such a finicky clock. Not mine, but same model and style.

Image result for atmos clock

Tube audio equipment- I go for Zenith, Philco and RCA Victor, along with good advertising pieces for those brands and vintage LPs for the phonographs. I especially like Columbia Six-Eye and Stereo360, and RCA Victor Living Stereo pressings in all music genres from those years.

Tobacciana- I hated every minute I spent in a tobacco field growing up but I have a lot of tobacco-related stuff. Right now working on getting a coffee table from Artisan Leaf in Wilson NC. They take cured bright-leaf, encase it in resin, and make table tops (and other things).

I frame old car ads, but I'm finicky about those. It has to be an ad that grabs you by the boo-boo.

Then there's the Oldsmobile Service literature collection... spanning 1949-1987. The prewar stuff isn't easy to find.

• Like 2

When I owned my '35 Hupp, I began collecting Hupmobile magazine and newspaper advertising. The artwork, language, and sometimes outrageous claims are great. Have a few hundred of them I suppose. Lots of other "minor" collections, but right now I've got an impressive collection of poison ivy rashes...

On 9/5/2016 at 9:53 AM, capngrog said:

Keiser31,

That's obviously not a Bat"man" T-shirt, but I like it.  Do you have a name for it?  It looks like you collect  a lot of different types of stuff.

Great collection.

Cheers,

Grog

Don't know what is is actually named, but it's just one of many weird things in my house.

10 speed racing bikes , 40's, - mid 70's , mostly English, a few Italian and a smattering of  others. Pocket watches, a couple of English motorcycles 1950's -60's. Lots of assorted car stuff, teens and 1950's-60's. 1918 Packard 2 ton..

Greg in Canada

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

10 speed racing bikes , 40's, - mid 70's , mostly English, a few Italian and a smattering of  others. Pocket watches, a couple of English motorcycles 1950's -60's. Lots of assorted car stuff, teens and 1950's-60's. 1918 Packard 2 ton..

Greg in Canada

Greg, do you have the STAVER sheet music?  It is found in blue and also green background versions.

Terry

Staver.JPG

Non auto related, I have been collecting NY Yankee Baseball artifacts since I was a kid, I also had several vintage Fender electric guitars strat's and telecaster's with a few Gibson 335's along with a couple of Marshall tube amps, most of the instruments are gone now 

Hi Terry, yes I have the Staver march song sheet. The green cover, and quite a bit of Staver Chicago trinkets. They were a lot bigger company than their automobile production would suggest and issued a lot of the typical promotional items of the day ( watch fobs, advertising pins and buttons, etc } to boost their horse drawn line which was their main product.

Greg in Canada

1 hour ago, Roger Walling said:

One thing that I know for sure, car collectors don't collect extra money!

Anybody can have money, you gotta be lucky to have stuff!  (Terry's rules of collecting).

• Like 1

It seems that sometime things collect me! I had one, yes just one "Martin the Martian" figurine sitting on a shelf. One friend saw that and thought I'd like another. The next friend saw I had 2 of them, now 3. Now 3 makes a collection and next thing I know I have 15 Martins. I didn't buy or ask for a single one of them, but I have a collection none the less. 

I have a collection of collections collecting other collections collecting dust and room. 

35 minutes ago, Amphicar BUYER said:

It seems that sometime things collect me! I had one, yes just one "Martin the Martian" figurine sitting on a shelf. One friend saw that and thought I'd like another. The next friend saw I had 2 of them, now 3. Now 3 makes a collection and next thing I know I have 15 Martins. I didn't buy or ask for a single one of them, but I have a collection none the less. 

That's how it goes with records as well. As soon as someone finds out you collect something especially that there are alot of and most have little value, you become the dumping ground.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Anybody can have money, you gotta be lucky to have stuff!  (Terry's rules of collecting).

And that's what I tell my auction friends every week when they start lamenting about the stuff they bought they had absolutely no need for and nowhere to put...

It's all about the stuff!B)

Seeing Howard's netsukes, I realized I had forgot about all the Asian stuff I have. Ivory and ceramic figurines, silk embroidered rank badges that go on military and bureaucratic robes, and yes, netsuke.

All about the stuff, indeed.<_<

6 hours ago, rocketraider said:

And that's what I tell my auction friends every week when they start lamenting about the stuff they bought they had absolutely no need for and nowhere to put...

It's all about the stuff!B)

Seeing Howard's netsukes, I realized I had forgot about all the Asian stuff I have. Ivory and ceramic figurines, silk embroidered rank badges that go on military and bureaucratic robes, and yes, netsuke.

All about the stuff, indeed.<_<

That little oni, demon in Japanese, netsuke was picked up a few months ago in Richmond, VA antiques mall when we were visiting our daughter.

Do you ever sell any of your netsukes?

Howard Dennis

9 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

That's how it goes with records as well. As soon as someone finds out you collect something especially that there are alot of and most have little value, you become the dumping ground.

LOL.........I was visiting an old steam/tractor friend of mine, who was quite well known.

One time he mentioned he was wanting a 4 chime Powell steam whistle.

I asked him if he had advertised and he said "No, I don't have to........one of these days someone will walk in here with one."

Wouldn't you know it........within a month someone did just that!....... :P

One thing that I do collect (I suspect this is true for many here) is historical items pertaining to my love of Amphicars. I have been fortunate enough to acquire many one of a kind letters (the order for the specially equipped rescue Amphicars is but one example) and original hand drawn ad proposals for well known ads. I got the anonymous package one day from England. It was a box of those factory letters, super rare items (Like the only one I know of, cloisonne badge in my avatar) and the ads I mentioned. No note no return address other than a UPS store type return address in London. One day all this stuff will go to an Amphicar museum. Not one yet, but I know of at least 2 guys who will make it happen one day.

These are the things that make me happy and hopefully one day they will be available to the public.I used much of it to create and share on the club website and sadly due to the shenanigans of a few, this collection is no longer available for anyone to enjoy in that venue.

21 hours ago, Amphicar BUYER said:

I have a collection of collections collecting other collections collecting dust and room. 

That happened to me with baseball caps, I had an empty wall in the service area at my dealership.

I tacked a few ball caps up there as I liked them but they were well worn.

A few years later I boxed up several hundred hats and gave them to the Goodwill. (I will assume that they trashed them, I hope)

One guy I know cherry picked a few rare ones, I had no interest anymore.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 9:26 PM, hddennis said:

That little oni, demon in Japanese, netsuke was picked up a few months ago in Richmond, VA antiques mall when we were visiting our daughter.

Do you ever sell any of your netsukes?

Howard Dennis

Howard, I tend to hang on to stuff when I find it and netsuke are, shall we say, unusual to find in this part of the world. But I have a couple of auctioneer and antique mall owner friends who keep an eye out for me.

If I weren't such a Luddite about posting pictures, I have some neat stuff folks would probably enjoy seeing.

Friend was ragging me several years back and said lord help whoever has to settle your estate. I said you want the job? I got a quick hell no.

Running joke at work was whose estate sale was going to take longest, mine or one of the instrument techs- and his stuff made mine look like a one-room country store. One of the kids (a collector in his own right) said made no difference as long as they weren't the same day and his bank account had time to recover between them. My instrument tech friend was taken out by pancreatic cancer in June, so his stuff may be coming up for sale. Don't know when, because his widow is totally overwhelmed by it all- she had no idea how extensive Jack's stuff was, and the man was interested in everything. She's had several of us over there to help her go thru what he had. I knew the guy 35 years and had no idea he had so much stuff.

• Like 1

I told my wife if she didn't want the task, she could just hire an auctioneer who's card I have in my wallet.  If you hire a good one or a good company they will sell everything right down to the bucket of scrap in the corner and the place will be just about broom clean by the end of the day.   All your heir has to do is collect the check.     

I looked at a collection of mostly Cadillac and Buick parts, cars the building etc. (almost exclusively pre war)  The heirs want to sell the whole thing as one lot.  There are 25 cars of which 5 are pretty much restored most are pretty rough some are incomplete.  only a few open cars.  Some are V12 cars and their are atleast 3 extra V12 engines on dollies. 

I won't tell you how many parts their are.  Some really good parts,  alot of decent used and probably a considerable pile of scrap metal. 

I told them they will probably have to have an auction to sell it all.  

They want offers but have a number in mind  that they wont disclose. 

I can't think of too many people that will want to spend (my guess is over a million) to buy a big headache.  I deal in parts and can say I don't think I would want to try to sell alot of the stuff.  there is a large amount of big sheetmetal pieces.  This is the Northeast as well so it's not all going to be really clean. 

I even appraoched them about buying some non Cadillac Buick stuff. There was some stuff marked Lincoln and some Aftermarket pedal pads etc.  they said they didn't want to break anything up tat would compromise the sale of the whole collection. 

They just called back though and I have to return their call.  Maybe I can make some headway.  

Signs - I must collect signs too because I've got some.  Started years ago when I could find them still nailed to the sides of old buildings, patching holes in the roof or being used as "fences" around garden plots to keep the varmits from eating the veggies.   Although I still find an occasional addition to the collection, I've been forced to scale back because of the cost involved.  Somehow I'd rather buy another car than to spend $25K on a silly sign.   I guess it's all relative - probably folks out there who laugh at me for spending a hundred bucks on an old spark plug or a piece of sheet music.  But my gosh hasn't the cost of collecting signs gone crazy these last few years!.  Like a lot of collectors, I'm pleased with what I've got, and collecting a variety of things satisfies the need to accumulate.  if I dont' find a sign, I might find a plug, or a brass light, or ....

I'd sure like to see some pics of your sign collections here.  Will try to get a few pics of some of my favorites posted later.  

Terry

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 8:12 AM, auburnseeker said:

They want offers but have a number in mind  that they wont disclose

The old saying is "whoever names the price first loses". When I run into that I usually hem and haw and give a way low ball offer. Sometimes it actually is accepted. When that happens I kick myself for offering too much...........................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

On 9/7/2016 at 10:26 AM, JACK M said:

I quit collecting receipts way early on.

I just don't want to think about it.

Until some #@$%×&!!!!! Pulls out right in front of you and "totals" your car and insurance gives you 10 cents on the dollar you have invested because you don't have notarized receipts for everything you've spent the last ten years doing to the car.

Like someone else posted, I collect parts for my collection but on the non auto side, I have a model RR that fills an 11 by 17 foot room. :)

What my wife finds hard to believe is if that wasn`t enough and I just had to have this:

Moving RR - May 1, 2005 - pic1.JPG

:o:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:17 AM, Plyroadking said:

Until some #@$%×&!!!!! Pulls out right in front of you and "totals" your car and insurance gives you 10 cents on the dollar you have invested because you don't have notarized receipts for everything you've spent the last ten years doing to the car.

I hope agreed value is what it sounds like.

• Like 1