nick8086

What do car collectors collect besides cars ?.

I stopped collecting everything as it all takes up too much room and seems like the things I collected never had any value. used to collect old radios, but now have the two left that mean something to me. I am a fisherman, collected many rods and reels. got rid of most of them, but somehow the 5 or 6 I had left are now over a dozen again. I had a lot of old cameras but most got sold at a garage sale. now I still have one of this or one of that, but I avoid collecting. I see many estate auctions that sell someones lifelong collections and it seems to me they should have sold most of their stuff themselves and after they had enjoyed their collection they could now enjoy the money in any way they choose.problem is, they might just start collecting again.  collectively yours,   skyler

I have over 400 T-Shirts.. almost have one from every state.. Plus the car shows..

IMG_2203.JPG

I was born loving OLD stuff.

When I was a broke student attending tech school in Milwaukee, WI, my like minded roommate and I scoured every antique shop we could find.

At that time mantel clocks were my thing and still have about a dozen of them.

Kerosene lamps and lanterns were another passion and I have a number of those as well.

Then I got started in old tractors and parlayed those into OLD old tractors which were my mainstay for the better part of thirty years until rebuilding OLD tractors became a niche part of my business which proceeded to ruin my hobby.

When the economy tanked in 2007-2008 I sold my high dollar tractors while there still people left who could afford them rather than play the wait-and-see game.

I did the right thing and proceeded to sell all except the two I still use for mowing and plowing snow.

Then I got into cars, my first being a 1920 Model T Coupe as I'd fallen in love with a 1911 T that was on display at the local Ford garage when I was a young teenager.

It took me only about 44 years to finally scratch that itch which led to three more T's, two of which I still have and WILL have in addition to my '24 Dodge Model B Sedan, a '59 Chevy (like my very first car...... :P ) and a '65 Mustang which may have to hit the road because of its proximity to the ground....... :wacko:

That's the end of my collecting.

When I told my wife I'm going to sell the Mustang she said ":What did you find NOW?"........ LOL

I told her the same thing mentioned above.

The fact is there really isn't anything more I do want.

I've been fortunate to have worked on so many rare tractors and things over the years I guess I got spoiled.

I'd rather go to a few shows and enjoy the work of other people at this stage of the game.

My cars get driven.

There are times I don't start my pickup for weeks when the weather is favorable....... :D 

Some of Dads stuff.  i just inherited the magazines below.  It is about 100lb.. I may keep some of them.

PM if you see anything you need.. They are not for sale.. If you want it let me know.. It will take me a week to know what years here kept..

IMG_0009.jpg

rads.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

I have a collection of about 3000 plus vintage automobile photographs, primarily Hudson, Essex and Terraplane but also other pre-WW2 automobile pics that I find interesting.

Old Bobs' Sept. 2016.jpg

Motoring related books. I stopped counting them once I got north of 1,000 titles. The "gateway drug" was getting a set of Crestline books

Edited by Buick64C (see edit history)

I'm surprised that someone hasn't said this before, since it relates to the human condition: "I collect ... dust".

Other than the old cars that tend to follow me home, I collect art (not the expensive stuff, but things I pick up at yard/estate sales), aircraft models (both R.C. and static display), and what is known as "trench art" (art created from items of war such as shell casings, hand grenades etc.).  Oh yeah, I have a model car collection, radio-controlled boats and then there's the ...

If I think it's cool or unusual, I usually fork over perfectly good dollars for items of dubious value.  But then, that's just me.:D

Collecting is good,

Grog

8 hours ago, Buick64C said:

Motoring related books. I stopped counting them once I got north of 1,000 titles. The "gateway drug" was getting a set of Crestline books

image.jpeg

You're missing the 'gray bible'; the first edition by Fred Crimson on International Harvester trucks.  The latest 1907-2007 updated 100th Anniversary Edition is even better, but it is no longer published by Crestline like the first edition was.

Craig

I have a collection of ceramic car planters. They cost anywhere from $.50 to $100. At last count I had about 175 different models. Seems silly but they make an attractive and colorful display.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restorer32 said:

Seems silly but they make an attractive and colorful display.

So do Jello Car Wheels!

They are probably the earliest car item I started to collect in small numbers.

Craig

I mostly collect 1/25 scale model cars, dealer promos and kits. I have over 550 on display in two rooms.

I also have other scale models, along with badges, license plates and other auto related items.

I also seem to collect 1932-33 Packard headlight buckets. I have about 20 of them and I don't think I ever actually bought one. Most are left over from projects or were given to me. No way I could ever sell all of them  but how can I in good conscience throw them away? After all they are PACKARD parts.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

You're missing the 'gray bible'; the first edition by Fred Crimson on International Harvester trucks.  The latest 1907-2007 updated 100th Anniversary Edition is even better, but it is no longer published by Crestline like the first edition was.

Craig

I'm not much of a truck guy, so I skipped that one along with the Ford, Dodge and fire truck books. Thanks for lettting me know its worth a look.

Lessee, car parts (a couple of engines even), Service  and Parts manuals (for the cars and from suppliers of parts) about 75 feet worth.  Tools back to the '40s. Meters and devices including a couple of ignition O'scopes (Heath and Sun), Sun distributer tester, Signal generators and many power supplies. Computers (10ish PCs within arm's reach) back to a trash 80. Prince Onboard Computer.  Zenith Shortwave Radios . Hickok tube testers, Books, car movies back to the 20's on VHS and DVD.

When you live in the same house for 30+ years and have 2000 sq ft of garage space, things tend to accumulate.

2 minutes ago, AnniesSS said:

Wow!!! That's a lot of hub caps lol

7 truckloads with this....

Picture 12830.jpg

• Like 1

I used to and somewhat still do collect radiator caps and hood ornaments. I had to sell a bunch to make the bills....

Picture 3162.jpg

Picture 2004.jpg

Picture 3107.jpg

Picture 9572.jpg

Picture 13211.jpg

Picture 8648.jpg

• Like 1

I have 20 or so clocks. 3 antique keywinds that currently keep time to within a minute a week, 4 working 400-day German-manufacture anniversary clocks (that are coming up for their annual winding on my birthday), and a bunch of "interesting" high-quality quartz units- some carriage clock styles, one late-60s Hermle electric movement (that was a bear to find setting instructions for, even Hermle USA didn't have them) and several in Waterford and Mikasa crystal cases. I also own a 1950 Atmos which needs help but hard to find anyone who can service one of those properly, and not too keen on shipping such a finicky clock. Not mine, but same model and style.

Image result for atmos clock

Tube audio equipment- I go for Zenith, Philco and RCA Victor, along with good advertising pieces for those brands and vintage LPs for the phonographs. I especially like Columbia Six-Eye and Stereo360, and RCA Victor Living Stereo pressings in all music genres from those years.

Tobacciana- I hated every minute I spent in a tobacco field growing up but I have a lot of tobacco-related stuff. Right now working on getting a coffee table from Artisan Leaf in Wilson NC. They take cured bright-leaf, encase it in resin, and make table tops (and other things).

I frame old car ads, but I'm finicky about those. It has to be an ad that grabs you by the boo-boo.

Then there's the Oldsmobile Service literature collection... spanning 1949-1987. The prewar stuff isn't easy to find.

• Like 2

In addition to cars, I collect 18th century furniture, 18th century woodworking tools, 16th and 17th Dutch and Flemish engravings, and watches. I have way too much stuff.

When I owned my '35 Hupp, I began collecting Hupmobile magazine and newspaper advertising. The artwork, language, and sometimes outrageous claims are great. Have a few hundred of them I suppose. Lots of other "minor" collections, but right now I've got an impressive collection of poison ivy rashes...

On 9/5/2016 at 9:53 AM, capngrog said:

Keiser31,

That's obviously not a Bat"man" T-shirt, but I like it.  Do you have a name for it?  It looks like you collect  a lot of different types of stuff.

Great collection.

Cheers,

Grog

Don't know what is is actually named, but it's just one of many weird things in my house.

10 speed racing bikes , 40's, - mid 70's , mostly English, a few Italian and a smattering of  others. Pocket watches, a couple of English motorcycles 1950's -60's. Lots of assorted car stuff, teens and 1950's-60's. 1918 Packard 2 ton..

Greg in Canada